PDA

View Full Version : Is Hanigan a legitimate catching fixture for the Reds?

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2009, 01:25 AM
I know his sample size is still small...but the dude is a lot better than what we've had.

He's not a power guy...he's never going to be a power guy so OPS isn't going to be a flashy stat for him. But he gets on base...whether it be by singles or walks. His current OBP is almost 400! His plate discipline is very good...the guy always gives a good AB. And even though the guy had a bit of a rough game tonight behind the plate, his defense is very good. His arm is great and he does a great job of blocking the plate and doing all the right things. He calls a good game too.

redsfandan
06-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Imo, he has to be the starting catcher in '09. Beyond that we'll have to play it by ear a little as far as other options.

Benihana
06-14-2009, 01:40 AM
He's making a push for ROY candidacy. I'd say that's pretty good.

However once (if) Votto comes back, he will unfortunately see his role reduced, which is a shame, as I'd like to see if the kid is for real before going into next year.

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2009, 01:42 AM

However once (if) Votto comes back, he will unfortunately see his role reduced, which is a shame, as I'd like to see if the kid is for real before going into next year.

Hernandez is putting up similar numbers. Granted, he's getting on base less, but his power numbers are obviously much better.

I would think (and even hope) that once Votto comes back, Hanigan at least gets more PT than he was getting before, even if he is the "back-up."

Benihana
06-14-2009, 02:00 AM
Hernandez is putting up similar numbers. Granted, he's getting on base less, but his power numbers are obviously much better.

I would think (and even hope) that once Votto comes back, Hanigan at least gets more PT than he was getting before, even if he is the "back-up."

Agree

hebroncougar
06-14-2009, 08:29 AM
I'd almost split the playing time between the two, let Hanigan learn from game calling skills. 2 above average catchers are better than one, and a catcher needs rest to be effective in August and September. I hope the Reds still matter in the division or wild card race at that point.

Will M
06-14-2009, 09:49 AM
agree with all.

fantastic defense & can actually hit. yes he has no power but his OPS is very good due to high average & high OBP.

definitely pencilled in as the starting catcher for 120 games in 2010.

PuffyPig
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM

He's not a rookie.

Boss-Hog
06-14-2009, 10:23 AM
He's not a rookie.
I don't know how long he was on the 25 man roster last year, but he did not accrue enough plate appearances in 2008 to use his rookie status.

RedsManRick
06-14-2009, 11:40 AM
The Reds seem to have really struggled with their philosophy towards breaking in players at the major league level. I completely understand not wanting to hand over a job to a guy who has yet to perform in the majors. But unless the guy is an absolute stud, it seems they have a lot of trouble making the switch when the guy does perform.

Guys like Dickerson and Hanigan should allow you to get an acceptable level of performance while giving you the opportunity to spend resources filling a big hole with an impact player. Instead, they routinely end up stuck in back up roles behind players who cost a few million bucks and provide no more production.

mth123
06-14-2009, 11:42 AM
The Reds seem to have really struggled with their philosophy towards breaking in players at the major league level. I completely understand not wanting to hand over a job to a guy who has yet to perform in the majors. But unless the guy is an absolute stud, it seems they have a lot of trouble making the switch when the guy does perform.

Guys like Dickerson and Hannigan should allow you to get an acceptable level of performance while giving you the opportunity to spend resources filling a big hole with an impact player. Instead, they routinely end up stuck in back up roles behind players who cost a few million bucks and provide no more production.

:thumbup:

VR
06-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Joe Oliverish.

jojo
06-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Hanigan has a wOBA of .348. Hernandez has one of .307. For those of you not familiar with wOBA, it's a significant difference such that Hanigan would be roughly 10 runs better than a major league average bat over 600 PAs while Hernandez would be -12 runs worse than a major league average bat over 600 PAs.

Now I don't think Hanigan is as good as his current wOBA of .348 (he's probably closer to average or a little below i.e. wOBA=.330). But Hernandez just might be what we're seeing offensively since it's basically more of the same compared to what he put up over his last two seasons in Baltimore.

redsmetz
06-14-2009, 03:39 PM
:eek:
I don't know how long he was on the 25 man roster last year, but he did not accrue enough plate appearances in 2008 to use his rookie status.

Here's what I found at http://www.usml.net/rookie.html

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the major leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a major league club or clubs during the period of a 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service).

He was shy of the 130 AB's. In '07, his time was after the rosters were expanded and last season he was only up about 20 days before September 1st, so technically, I think he still is a rookie.

RANDY IN INDY
06-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Hanigan has a wOBA of .348. Hernandez has one of .307. For those of you not familiar with wOBA, it's a significant difference such that Hanigan would be roughly 10 runs better than a major league average bat over 600 PAs while Hernandez would be -12 runs worse than a major league average bat over 600 PAs.

Now I don't think Hanigan is as good as his current wOBA of .348 (he's probably closer to average or a little below i.e. wOBA=.330). But Hernandez just might be what we're seeing offensively since it's basically more of the same compared to what he put up over his last two seasons in Baltimore.

Hernandez has been hitting the ball hard recently with a lot of "right at em's" and bad luck. I think Hanigan will come back to earth in a hurry. Just my opinion.

SMcGavin
06-14-2009, 05:51 PM

Guys like Dickerson and Hanigan should allow you to get an acceptable level of performance while giving you the opportunity to spend resources filling a big hole with an impact player. Instead, they routinely end up stuck in back up roles behind players who cost a few million bucks and provide no more production.

Agree on Dickerson, not on Hanigan. He had a career .754 OPS at AAA. Suggesting the Reds should have saved resources by not acquiring a catcher in the offseason is revisionist history IMO. Now if Hanigan keeps performing this year and the Reds go spend bucks on a catcher again next offseason, I'll agree with you. But knowing only what we did in the offseason, going with him as your everyday guy would have been a huge gamble. I think the Reds have handled Hanigan correctly.

RedsManRick
06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Agree on Dickerson, not on Hanigan. He had a career .754 OPS at AAA. Suggesting the Reds should have saved resources by not acquiring a catcher in the offseason is revisionist history IMO. Now if Hanigan keeps performing this year and the Reds go spend bucks on a catcher again next offseason, I'll agree with you. But knowing only what we did in the offseason, going with him as your everyday guy would have been a huge gamble. I think the Reds have handled Hanigan correctly.

I don't believe I've suggested that the Reds should not have pursued other options. At least with Hernandez, his salary was largely offset by dealing Freel. What I disapprove of failing to give young guys additional playing time when they perform well.

RANDY IN INDY
06-14-2009, 07:31 PM
He's gotten plenty of playing time because of the Votto situation, and that is when guys have to jump up and seize the opportunity. He has done a good job of doing just that. Still not sure by any means that Hannigan is the answer everyday. It's a long season.

4256 Hits
06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
As of right now there is know reason he shouldn't be hitting 1st or 2nd 5 games a week. What happnes the 2nd half and next year is TBD.

Ltlabner
06-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Is Hannigan playing well and stepping up when called on to do so? Yep.

Should we pencil him in as catcher, sign him to a silly contract, and rest assured that the position is filled going into the future? No.

Dude's having a good run. It's enjoyable to see. But let's not get all silly and pretend like this is performance we can count on in 2010, 2011 or 2012. This is a 29 year old rookie. I really hope he continue to play like this for the next few years, that would be great. Keep playing him, and riding the hot hand, but let's keep a cautious attitude before just handing him the keys to the car.

mth123
06-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Hanigan can be a decent cheap catching option for the next few years, but he should be viewed as a guy who needs to share the job with some one. This year its Hernandez and that's OK (would work better if Hernandez didn't have to play 1B) but hopefully next year there is a younger up and comer to pair with him. Its still one of the team's needs and when the team goes shopping, be it at the deadline or after the season, a younger catcher (preferably with a little pop) should still be on the agenda.

My concern isn't that the team is going to move forward with Hanigan, its that they are going to move forward pairing him with Wilkin Castillo.

kaldaniels
06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't mind testing him a bit more by bumping him up in the lineup...6th is reasonable.

I(heart)Freel
06-15-2009, 09:22 AM
I think now would be a great time to see some more of Castillo. If it's possible that Hanigan and he are the 2010 dynamic duo, it would be good to see what that kid can do behind and at the plate. At least while Votto is out and Rosales is struggling (and requiring a AAA tuneup).

redsfandan
06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
This is what Castillo has done in AAA this season: .218 .231 .328 .559. Are you sure you want him up?

I(heart)Freel
06-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Well I knew he wasn't doing well. And maybe now is not the time to find out about 2010 plans while the MLB team is still contending. But my point stands: the Reds need to know who should and shouldn't be in the plans for next year, preferably before the trading deadline but certainly before the off-season.

redsfandan
06-15-2009, 09:42 AM
For now we're fine with Hernandez & Hanigan. If Castillo can improve his line he'll likely be up in September. But I see him as more of a utility player/emergency (3rd) catcher if we're lucky.

HokieRed
06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
If we're going to be seeing something of someone, I'd like to see something of Ryan Tatum before I see any more of Wilkin Castillo.

HokieRed
06-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Craig Tatum, that is.

RANDY IN INDY
06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
I see Castillo as a career minor leaguer.

OnBaseMachine
06-15-2009, 11:15 AM

I agree.

mth123
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Amen. The real old timers may remember Sonny Roberto. Primarily a AAA catcher who played a little 2nd and a little 3rd, not much pop and got a couple cups of coffee. That's Castillo.

Big Klu
06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Amen. The real old timers may remember Sonny Roberto. Primarily a AAA catcher who played a little 2nd and a little 3rd, not much pop and got a couple cups of coffee. That's Castillo.

I was thinking more along the lines of Dave Cochrane.

RANDY IN INDY
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
..........or maybe Terry McGriff...........

Big Klu
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
..........or maybe Terry McGriff...........

Yeah, though I went with the Cochrane comparison because of his versatility.

RANDY IN INDY
06-16-2009, 01:16 PM
McGriff was anything but versatile. I guess you have to admire Castillo for doing what he can to stick around, but versatile doesn't really matter much if you don't play any of the positions very well.:)

durl
06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I wonder if Hernandez could be taught to play 3B for when Votto gets back... ;)

fearofpopvol1
06-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Another great game for Hanigan last night going 2 for 3.

klw
06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Hanigan moved up to 5th in the lineup for today's game.

fearofpopvol1
06-21-2009, 03:21 AM
Another 2 hits tonight. Hannigan is now OPS'ing over .800 on the season. That's pretty darn good for a rookie catcher (and one with the Reds no less). Not to mention, he plays great defense and handles the pitching staff well.

Could Hanigan be a ROY? I would think Rasmus is his biggest competitor in the NL right now. Problem is, once Votto is back, I could see Hanigan's playing time being drastically decreased, unfortunately, thus not making him a player that will garner much consideration.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/21/i_cant_even_manage_my.html

Hernandez to third? Baker says no
By Hal McCoy | Sunday, June 21, 2009, 01:53 PM

I canít even manage my own money, let alone manage a baseball team, but I have an idea and Iím going to present it to Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker.

Let me know what you think.

Right now the best hitter on the team (average-wise) is catcher Ryan Hanigan, who has the best average and on-base average of any rookie in the National League. But his job description is ďBack-up catcher.Ē

The only reason he has been given this opportunity is because Joey Votto is on the DL and No. 1 catcher Ramon Hernandez is playing first base.

It is obvious that Votto will be back within the week, if not sooner. Hernandez will move back to catcher and Hanigan will move to the bench.

Why?

Letís try this. Move Hernandez to third base and keep Hanigan in the lineup Herandez had started one game at first base during his major-league career before taking over for Votto and he is playing it like Mandrake the Magician.

Could he play third, too? Why not. Even Baker said on the day he started playing Hernandez at first, ďIíve always thought any good catcher could play both third base and first base without any problems.Ē

So there you have it. Letís see if Baker does it. Jerry Hairston Jr. is the shortstop for the immediate future while Alex Gonzalez (bone chips in his elbow) is out again. Adam Rosales is playing third base but as of Sunday he was 4 for 43 (.093) over his last 15 games. That ainít gonna cut it, fans.

Of course, Hernandez is only 6 for 48 in his last 14 games (.125), but Iím more confident that heíll come out of it quicker than Rosales.

ANOTHER ONE for Baker. Micah Owings starts Tuesday in Tornoto. Instead of using the DH, might Baker be tempted to not use a DH and permit Owings to bat? He is hitting .270 with two homers and seven RBIs ó the same amount of homers and Chris Dickerson and only two RBIs less and one home run more than Willy Taveras and only two RBIs less and the same number of home runs as Adam Rosales and only five RBIs less.

I posed these questions to a much-dejected Baker after Sundayís 4-1 loss to the Chicago White Sox and he quickly shot them both down like the G-men took down Bonnie & Clyde.

ďI have to get Hernandez back behind the plate,Ē said Baker. While he recognizes what Hanigan is doing with the bat, Baker also knows most of his hits are not producing runs. Although he isnít the Lone Ranger is not driving in runs, Hanigan is hitting .174 with runners in scoring position - .063 with runners in scoring position and two outs.

Hernandez is hitting .304 with runners in scoring posing, .320 with less than two outs.

And Owings? Baker sent him up to pinch-hit Sunday and he struck out. I understand, and agree, that it is better to have both Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix in the lineup at the same time - a good 1-2 punch from the right side and the left side.

As I said, I canít manage my checkbook.

I DO HAVE a question, though. How long is GM Walt Jocketty going to wait before he makes a significant move. After contending for 2 1/2 months, it is starting to slip away - four games out now, their biggest deficit since they were 4 1/2 behind on May 21.

With all the missing parts - Joey Votto, Edwin Encarnacion, Alex Gonzalez - Baker is being forced to fill-in with minor leaguers, guys like Wilkin Castillo and Danny Richard who werenít doing much in Triple-A.

Do they want to win this year and do they want to keep trying to build for the future? If they want to win, and this year with a weak NL Central, now seems the time to take a grab at winning it, it is time for Jocketty to show Baker & The Boys that he is doing something to help make that happen.

Walt? Your turn.

Basically because of Dusty's screwups, (the fact that he can't figure out that Hanigan needs to bat in the 2 hole) Hanigan is going to be riding the pine once Votto returns. And the reasoning is because he isn't hitting with runners on?????? Yeah, his .373 BA with no one on would look terrible in front of Votto's. 1.000+ OPS. The lesser offensive and defensive catcher will be seeing the field way more often than the potential rookie of the year.

And no, I'm not condoning playing Ramon at 3rd.

dsmith421
06-23-2009, 11:17 AM
That's got to be up there with McCoy's stupider ideas. Hernandez already has 'limited' range at first, God only knows how many additional hits we'd give up on ground balls in the hole. On the other hand, the spectacle of Ramon trying to field a bunt would at least provide some levity in the upcoming mountain of 5-1 losses.

BRM
06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Hanigan has a whopping 30 plate appearances with RISP and we've already decided he can't "produce runs". Ridiculous. His .411 OBP would sure look good batting second, right in front of Votto and Phillips. Too bad we'll never see it.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Hanigan has a whopping 30 plate appearances with RISP and we've already decided he can't "produce runs". Ridiculous. His .411 OBP would sure look good batting second, right in front of Votto and Phillips. Too bad we'll never see it.

Batting order doesn't matter, remember? :rolleyes:

nate
06-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Yeah, but Hernandez is "good" at it because of how he's produced in a whopping 68 plate appearances with "RISP."

:cool:

I'd actually been enjoying Hal's articles this year but this one is a golden sombrero IMO.

Ltlabner
06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
My only reservation about moving Hannigan to the 2 hole in the lineup is that tHe Dusty would starting filling his head with all these wacky notions about hitting second and mess with the kids stroke. Not saying that is what would happen, but Dusty definatley has some hardwired notions about baseball and Id hate to see him mess with the kid. Sometimes its better to fly below the radar at the bottom of the order.

Besides, if Ryan struggles in the least he'll get Dickersoned and he'll never see the light of day again.

BRM
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Besides, if Ryan struggles in the least he'll get Dickersoned and he'll never see the light of day again.

Which may happen anyway now that Votto is back. I think he'll be back to getting 1-2 starts per week, tops.

VR
06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Hernandez at 3rd is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. It was meant to be funny, right?

nate
06-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Hernandez at 3rd is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. It was meant to be funny, right?

Hey, if Javy can play third...

:cool:

RedsManRick
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm so tired of hearing about offensive production with runners in scoring position. It's simply not a skill worth looking at. Put the better hitter at the plate with guys on base, period. Hanigan has a .400 OBP but he should sit because of his BA with RISP? Ridiculous. Here's a thought Dusty... put the guy with the team high OBP at the top of the order so he can score some runs instead of relying on that singles hitter to drive them in...

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
My only reservation about moving Hannigan to the 2 hole in the lineup is that tHe Dusty would starting filling his head with all these wacky notions about hitting second and mess with the kids stroke. Not saying that is what would happen, but Dusty definatley has some hardwired notions about baseball and Id hate to see him mess with the kid. Sometimes its better to fly below the radar at the bottom of the order.

I see what you're saying, but I doubt that batting 2nd would really change anything Hanigan does. It's not like Dusty is going to say anything like "Now that you're at the top of the lineup, we need you to take more walks and get on base more." Hanigan got on base at a .383 as a minor leaguer in over 2000 PA's, and a .394 clip as a major leaguer in about 250 PA's, which really isn't that small of a sample size. The guy can hit, and the guy has patience. He would be a perfect number 2 hitter. He already has a #2 hitter's approach (patience, and a line drive hitter). Problem is he doesn't have Dusty's ideal #2 hitter approach (general suckitude and inept ability to get on base).

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Hanigan hit 2nd? That's crazy talk. Dusty would never bat a catcher in the 2 hole. Ever.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Hanigan hit 2nd? That's crazy talk. Dusty would never bat a catcher in the 2 hole. Ever.

Then put Hanigan at SS and bat him 2nd.

_Sir_Charles_
06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
ESPN article about the top rookies this season. I'm stunned...(NOT)...they left off Ryan from the list. That's simply a travesty IMO. He leads all NL rookies in AVG & OBP, his D is top notch and he's gunning down nearly 50% of runners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&page=starting9/090624

Homer Bailey
06-24-2009, 03:43 PM
ESPN article about the top rookies this season. I'm stunned...(NOT)...they left off Ryan from the list. That's simply a travesty IMO. He leads all NL rookies in AVG & OBP, his D is top notch and he's gunning down nearly 50% of runners.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&page=starting9/090624

Ha. I saw your comment on there. How can we expect Hanigan to get Rookie of the year when he's going to be riding the pine behind the almighty Ramon Hernandez?

Anyone else notice that Hanigan's baseball reference page is sponsored by onbaseplusslugging.com? Haha I love it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hanigry01.shtml

_Sir_Charles_
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Ha. I saw your comment on there. How can we expect Hanigan to get Rookie of the year when he's going to be riding the pine behind the almighty Ramon Hernandez?

Not sure about that. Given that extended look he just got, if Ramon continues to struggle at the plate, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ryan get quite a bit more playing time than he was prior to the Votto stuff.

Btw, Crasnick just replied in the comments....

Sir Charles, Of all the players mentioned by readers, Ryan Hanigan is probably the one I should have included. It's tough being a rookie catcher, and Hanigan's on base and throwing percentages are impressive. But he's also hitting .167 with runners in scoring position, and he has 6 extra base hits and 8 RBIs in 126 at-bats. That's a pretty soft .325 average. If he's the frontrunner in the NL Rookie of the Year race. it's a real commentary on how weak this year's crop is.

I hate the RISP stat. Break it down however you like Jerry...he's been ROCK SOLID. PERIOD.

Homer Bailey
06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Not sure about that. Given that extended look he just got, if Ramon continues to struggle at the plate, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ryan get quite a bit more playing time than he was prior to the Votto stuff.

Crasnik responded to your post:

Sir Charles, Of all the players mentioned by readers, Ryan Hanigan is probably the one I should have included. It's tough being a rookie catcher, and Hanigan's on base and throwing percentages are impressive. But he's also hitting .167 with runners in scoring position, and he has 6 extra base hits and 8 RBIs in 126 at-bats. That's a pretty soft .325 average. If he's the frontrunner in the NL Rookie of the Year race. it's a real commentary on how weak this year's crop is.

Homer Bailey
06-24-2009, 03:52 PM
And the likelihood of Dusty benching a veteran for a rookie is not likely at all.

_Sir_Charles_
06-24-2009, 04:05 PM
And the likelihood of Dusty benching a veteran for a rookie is not likely at all.

That one I'm not buying. I heard that stuff spewed like crazy when Dusty was being brought in here. I haven't seen any proof of it. None. Rookies (and youngsters) have gotten their playing time.

Same with the "Baker will ruin your young pitchers' arms". Haven't seen ANY proof of that either. Prior/Wood got injured due to their mechanics...not overuse by Dusty.

Sorry, not a rant at you really...just that mentality that Cubs fans started.

BRM
06-24-2009, 04:27 PM

I think it's possible but it will take a pretty long bad spell from Hernandez in order for it to happen. Just like with Taveras.

Homer Bailey
06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
That one I'm not buying. I heard that stuff spewed like crazy when Dusty was being brought in here. I haven't seen any proof of it. None. Rookies (and youngsters) have gotten their playing time.

Same with the "Baker will ruin your young pitchers' arms". Haven't seen ANY proof of that either. Prior/Wood got injured due to their mechanics...not overuse by Dusty.

Sorry, not a rant at you really...just that mentality that Cubs fans started.

I think it's possible but it will take a pretty long bad spell from Hernandez in order for it to happen. Just like with Taveras.

It's more along the lines of Dusty being a player's manager. He keeps running WT out there. He kept running CP out there. He won't move Owings up in the lineup, or DH Owings. He cares more about the feelings of his players, or his gut feeling, than he does putting the best lineup out there. Which is why I don't think Ramon will get benched, because RH has been a heck of a lot better than WT, and WT is still in the lineup everyday.

BRM
06-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Ramon won't get benched anytime soon. That I agree with. Hanigan will get 1-2 starts per week, just like before.

Homer Bailey
06-24-2009, 04:45 PM
RH won't get benched anytime soon. That I agree with. Hanigan will get 1-2 starts per week, just like before.

Yeah, and I really don't like that. Hanigan has been our best hitter and defender at that position. I can see that Ramon maybe handles the pitchers better, but Hanigan needs to see the field IMO more than 2 times per week.

flyer85
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
it all depends on the what you have in the other 7 starters(he will likely never provide much power). He certainly could be an everyday option considering some of the player the Reds have trotted out there in the last few years.

Chip R
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
RH won't get benched anytime soon. That I agree with. Hanigan will get 1-2 starts per week, just like before.

It's possible that RH may get a few starts at 1st against tough lefties to take a little pressure off Votto. And, you never know when Votto might have some sort of minor injury that will keep him out a few days. Plus, it's getting hot out there and Dusty would do well to keep Hernandez rested. Hanigan usually catches Arroyo so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup tonight.

bucksfan2
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM

I couldn't agree more with this. IMO his numbers, especially his OBP numbers, are higher because of hitting in the 8 hole. He will be pitched around because of the P spot up next. His power numbers also leave a lot to be desired. He has played well on the defensive end of things and has shown that he can hold his own, but IMO he shouldn't be in the ROY consideration.

BRM
06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Hanigan usually catches Arroyo so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the lineup tonight.

He's not.

Homer Bailey
06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Hanigan is of course not in the lineup tonight.

fearofpopvol1
06-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Do you guys realize when you abbreviate their names, they both have the same initials of RH? So, you may want to think about abbreviating those.

Hannigan's OPS is sitting close to .800, which is pretty awesome for a catcher. Granted, it's mostly OBP driven, but still. It'd be nice if he hit for power, but it's not a necessity.

BRM
06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Do you guys realize when you abbreviate their names, they both have the same initials of RH? So, you may want to think about abbreviating those.

lol, good call. I edited my post.

Homer Bailey
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
It makes total sense that Danny Richar will see 4 at bats in this series before Ryan Hanigan does. Total sense.

BRM
06-24-2009, 05:27 PM
It makes total sense that Danny Richar will see 4 at bats in this series before Ryan Hanigan does. Total sense.

You want Hanigan to play 3B? ;)

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Hannigan's OPS is sitting close to .800, which is pretty awesome for a catcher. Granted, it's mostly OBP driven, but still. It'd be nice if he hit for power, but it's not a necessity.

OBP driven = goodness

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Hanigan is of course not in the lineup tonight.

I really don't mind him getting a couple days off considering how much time he has spent behind the plate recently...

SMcGavin
06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
OBP driven = goodness

Yep. Hanigan's career is starting to get to the point where you can take the statistics seriously (he's at 257 PAs) and he has a career .392 OBP. Obviously, that is outstanding.