PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Sosa now being named

Brutus
06-16-2009, 04:43 PM
We have our first real report (that I'm aware of) that Sammy Sosa is linked with steroids in a real capacity (beyond speculation).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4264062

ESPN is referencing a New York Times article that Sosa was tested positive in 2003 when the 'anonymous' testing took place to determine if testing should be mandatory.

I think most people suspected this all along. It's interesting to see some actual reporting on it. If this is coming from similar sources as the Alex Rodriguez story, then there may very well be credibility.

LincolnparkRed
06-16-2009, 04:52 PM
In other news, the sun rose in the east today.

Might be one of the least shocking things, especially with him turning to cork in 2004 or 2005, to make up for the lack of power

OldXOhio
06-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Only thing shocking to me about the Sosa / steroids ordeal is that he's gotten off so easily for so long.

If only Big Mac and ARod had only not understood English like Sammy.

VR
06-16-2009, 06:52 PM
gasp

KoryMac5
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Looks like these names will be released at a slow trickle for a little while. Have to wonder if Congress will get involved with Sosa for perjury.

paintmered
06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Looks like these names will be released at a slow trickle for a little while. Have to wonder if Congress will get involved with Sosa for perjury.

You mean Sosa really does understand English?:eek:

This also is a great opportunity to bring back this gem...

Excuse Me for Asking
Rick Reilly

It was a simple, straightforward question for Chicago Cubs bomber Sammy Sosa.

"You've said if baseball tests for steroids, you want to be first in line, right?" I asked him last Thursday at his Wrigley Field locker.

"Yes," Sosa replied.

"Well, why wait?" I said.

"What?"

I wrote down the name and phone number of LabCorp, which has a diagnostic test lab in Elmhurst, Ill., 30 minutes from Wrigley. I told him what LabCorp had told me: If any person wants to be tested for steroids, all he has to do is have his physician give a written order and bring in a blood or urine sample. The lab could have the results back within 10 days.

Sosa looked at the piece of paper as if it were a dead rat.

"Why wait to see what the players' association will do?" I continued. "Why not step up right now and be tested? You show everybody you're clean. It'll lift a cloud off you and a cloud off the game. It'll show the fans that all these great numbers you're putting up are real."

Sosa's neck veins started to bulge.

I tried to tell him how important I thought this was. How attendance is headed for the cesspool. A former MVP told SI that 50% of the players are on steroids. The fans are starting to look at every home run record the way people look at Ted Koppel's hair. And there's the threat of a strike. Something good has to happen. What could be more positive than the game's leading home run hitter's proving himself cleaner than Drew Carey's fork?

Sosa looked at me as if I were covered in leeches.

"Why are you telling me to do this?" he said. "You don't tell me what to do."

I tried to explain that I wasn't telling him to do it, I was just wondering if he didn't think it would be a good move for him and the game.

"You're not my father!" he said, starting to yell. "Why do you tell me what to do? Are you trying to get me in trouble?"

I asked how he could get in trouble if he wasn't doing anything wrong.

"I don't need to go nowhere," he growled. "I'll wait for the players' association to decide what to do. If they make that decision [to test], I will be first in line."

But didn't he think a star stepping forward now, without being told to be tested....

"This interview is over!" He started looking around for security. "Over, motherf-----!!"

(Note to young sportswriters: Always make your steroid question your last question.)

The funny thing is, I doubt Sosa is on steroids. He has never missed more than six games in any of the last five seasons. Most nukeheads come apart like Tinkertoy houses.

But plenty of people wonder: Here's a guy who went nine years without ever hitting more than 40 home runs. In the last four seasons he's hit 66, 63, 50 and 64. Here's a guy who was once a skinny, 165-pound, jet-footed Texas Ranger. Now he's a bulky, 230-pound Mr. Olympus.

"This was because of my tooth," he had said earlier in the interview. "When I first came to Texas [in 1989], I had a bad wisdom tooth. The doctor discovered this, and he fixed it. After that, I start to eat much better."

What'd he eat, Fort Worth?

Sosa also explained that the extra muscle and added girth came from feverish weightlifting, not a feverish pharmacist.

"I have a gym in my house [in the Dominican Republic]," he said. "I work out every day, seven days a week. Sometimes at two or three in the morning."

He said the media's suspicions have hurt him. "They think everybody is guilty," he said. "They judge me, but they don't know me."

That's about when I offered up my brilliant public relations maneuver of having himself tested. Soon we were discussing my relationship with my mother.

Maybe Sosa feels he would undermine his union's bargaining power if he had himself tested. But when I asked him if that's why he didn't want to do it, he again mentioned, rather crisply, "You're not my father."

No, but if I were, I'd tell him to get tested. And I'd say it to Barry Bonds and anybody else who says he cares about the game. If they've got nothing to hide, why wait?

True, it would take some large cojones. Of course, if these players are on steroids, they lost those a long time ago.

Issue date: July 8, 2002

flyer85
06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
yo no hablo

Blitz Dorsey
06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
This is about as surprising as humans need oxygen to breathe.

Next you're going to tell me Pujols is on the juice. No freakin' way!

Hoosier Red
06-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Reilly's a hack. The only bad thing about this is it makes him look less like one.
If I'm the player's union, I do everything I can to let the other 102 names on the list out now. There's nothing good about hiding them now, and it's a lot worse for a new name to come out every 2 months.

redsfandan
06-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe not. Depends on what exactly was asked him and what he said back then. Did he illegally take steroids while playing for the Cubbies? Not if he had a doctor in the DR help him with that.

If I'm the player's union, I do everything I can to let the other 102 names on the list out now. There's nothing good about hiding them now, and it's a lot worse for a new name to come out every 2 months. Is it that bad when one player is named that most people already think took steroids or when the player is a nobody? Or is it worse to have 102 players named at once?

cumberlandreds
06-17-2009, 08:27 AM
For some reason I wasn't surprised at all about this. ;) If a player knows or even suspects his names is on that list he had better come out with an admission now. It's only a matter of time and every name will be known.

Hoosier Red
06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Is it that bad when one player is named that most people already think took steroids or when the player is a nobody? Or is it worse to have 102 players named at once?

That's a good point but I'd rather get the pain out of the way now. Rip the band aid off as opposed to another name every two months. Sure, they're going by the biggest names first, but if I'm a player, especially a clean player who played in 2003, I want every name out there.

redsfandan
06-17-2009, 08:42 AM
That's what you, the hypothetical clean player, would want. But it's not up to you. Unfortunately we're probably not close to being done with these kind of announcements.

flyer85
06-17-2009, 09:43 AM
If a player knows or even suspects his names is on that list he had better come out with an admission now. Sosa's problem is a bit different. He has a legal issue because of what he said to Congress. Admitting he lied is probably not the prudent thing to do at this point. He had better have some kind of arrangement negotiated before he admits anything.

Yachtzee
06-17-2009, 04:37 PM
You mean Sosa really does understand English?:eek:

This also is a great opportunity to bring back this gem...

I think that was the point when I knew Sosa was using. It's one thing to just say, "I'd be willing to submit to testing, but I'd prefer to work it out through the union to ensure our rights are protected." It's another to get all defensive and freak out like he did. He obviously didn't like his bluff being called.

NJReds
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
The only big name left that would really shock me is Griffey Jr.

Roy Tucker
06-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I have no love lost for Sosa, but I still think its crap that these names are being leaked.

Either release the whole list or none at all. Selective leaking brings a cloud over everyone who played then. And if I'm not mistaken, these tests are supposed to be anonymous. If I were the MLBPA, I be seriously urinated.

Brutus
06-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I have no love lost for Sosa, but I still think its crap that these names are being leaked.

Either release the whole list or none at all. Selective leaking brings a cloud over everyone who played then. And if I'm not mistaken, these tests are supposed to be anonymous. If I were the MLBPA, I be seriously urinated.

I agree with you in principal, but it's probably not a case of picking and choosing who to leak. Rather, it's probably a case of a reporter specifically trying to find evidence of one particular player, and whomever is on the 'inside' of the lab results is simply confirming or denying the tests on the players being asked about. I don't think it's a matter of specifically deciding what names to leak.

Roy Tucker
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I agree with you in principal, but it's probably not a case of picking and choosing who to leak. Rather, it's probably a case of a reporter specifically trying to find evidence of one particular player, and whomever is on the 'inside' of the lab results is simply confirming or denying the tests on the players being asked about. I don't think it's a matter of specifically deciding what names to leak.

Semantics. When "a reporter [is] specifically trying to find evidence of one particular player", I'd call that picking and choosing. Nobody much cares if Timmy Hummel did steroids. Reporters go after the big names.

savafan
06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
The only big name left that would really shock me is Griffey Jr.

Frank Thomas
Curt Schilling
Pedro Martinez
Walt Weiss

Those are some other names that would shock me.

Are steroid tests in English? If so, then it's no wonder Sosa failed.

Brutus
06-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Semantics. When "a reporter [is] specifically trying to find evidence of one particular player", I'd call that picking and choosing. Nobody much cares if Timmy Hummel did steroids. Reporters go after the big names.

I'm speaking from a perspective of whomever is releasing the information to these reporters. It's like that person(s) are simply giving information when requested. If you want to apply your thinking to the reporters going after the full list, I agree with you, though A) I'm sure no one cares if some journeyman infielder was on the list and more importantly, B) I doubt anyone feels comfortable giving up the entire list - as that would assuredly reap consequences.

Ron Madden
06-18-2009, 03:53 AM
This is not meant to bash Dusty Baker but I gotta ask....

How many of Dusty Bakers wins as a Manager were aided by Steroids? (Bonds and Sosa)

And how well can we expect Dusty to Manage a Club that wants to play smaal ball?

Roy Tucker
06-18-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm speaking from a perspective of whomever is releasing the information to these reporters. It's like that person(s) are simply giving information when requested. If you want to apply your thinking to the reporters going after the full list, I agree with you, though A) I'm sure no one cares if some journeyman infielder was on the list and more importantly, B) I doubt anyone feels comfortable giving up the entire list - as that would assuredly reap consequences.

OK, I suppose we are in violent agreeement.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the entire list. The NYT article says:

The 2003 test that ensnared Sosa was the first such test conducted by Major League Baseball. Under guidelines agreed upon with the players union, the test results were to remain anonymous but would lead to testing with penalties the next year if more than 5 percent of the results were positive.

That is indeed what occurred. But for reasons never made completely clear, the test results were not destroyed by the players union and the 104 positives were subsequently seized by federal agents on the West Coast investigating matters related to the distribution of drugs to athletes.

The union immediately filed court papers alleging that the agents had illegally seized the tests, and over the past six years judges at various levels of the federal court system have been weighing whether the government can keep them. An 11-judge panel in California is preparing to rule in the case, but regardless of its verdict, the losing side is expected to appeal to the United States Supreme Court.

cumberlandreds
06-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Frank Thomas
Curt Schilling
Pedro Martinez
Walt Weiss

Those are some other names that would shock me.

Are steroid tests in English? If so, then it's no wonder Sosa failed.

No one would shock me. I may be a little surprised if they or Griffey jr. were on the list. But shocked,no. I think a high percentage of players at least tried or used it for short period of time. Its just a matter who got caught with their needle in the cookie jar.

VR
06-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Any player for the Oakland A's from 1986-1995, or the Cardinals from 1996 - present.

klw
06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Casey Fossum would shock me.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/Images/Examples/Example_HipsRotatingBeforeShoulders_CaseyFossum_00 1.jpg

Degenerate39
06-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I thought there was something about Schilling using steroids? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Brutus
06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
I thought there was something about Schilling using steroids? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

I don't believe so. He's been pretty outspoken against them, though.

Dom Heffner
06-18-2009, 09:48 PM

I think the cloud is there whether these names are leaked or not.

I read Sosa's denials and it's really pretty deserving his name has been leaked.

They'll all come out one day and no one will be happier than me.

Brutus
06-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Casey Fossum would shock me.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/Images/Examples/Example_HipsRotatingBeforeShoulders_CaseyFossum_00 1.jpg

Or Kirk Saarloos and his mighty 84-mph fastball...

http://media.scout.com/media/image/53/530551.jpg

15fan
06-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Big shock.

I despise Sosa as much as anyone. Guy was a complete tool.

Having said that, every time I walk into Turner Field, I'm blown away at just how freakin' far he hit some of those homers in the 2000 Home Run Derby at Turner Field. There was at least one that was incredibly close to the big Coke bottle on the LF roof, and another that landed on top of the CF batter's view that remain complete jaw droppers.