PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbits from Around the League

KoryMac5
06-16-2009, 06:58 PM
John Heyman from SI was on WFAN talking about news and notes from baseball here is a sampling of what he had to say:

Manny Acta will most likely be fired after the Nationals play the Yankees. They did not want the new manger starting off against the Yankees. Bobby Valentine has been mentioned as the sucessor but the Nats don't want to pay him that kind of money.

No news on the trade front, too many teams feel they are still in contention. Heyman did mention the Nationals as the only team that has made guys available. Dunn and Johnson are two guys the Nats want top prospects for. They will also unload Kearns and Milledge for anything at this point.

Oswalt and Tejada are not on the block contrary to reports Drayton McLane does not like to deal his star players has a sense of loyalty to them. Plus Houston has been hot and they are a good second half team.

Bedard is being shopped by Seattle but with his shoulder tightness that will be a tough sell. The Mariners gave up a bunch to get him they will want a lot back for him. The Phillies have enough in their system but the price maybe too high for a guy with some injury history.

Hawpe and Holliday are also two names that came up. Beane wants a ton for Holliday and has stated if he doesn't get it he will take the draft picks. Hawpe is available but O'Dowd says he would have to be bowled over by an offer for him. The Rockies win streak further complicates this as does Hawpe's contract, if traded he can shave a year off his current deal.

Boston wants to hold onto Penny for insurance as Dice K might have to go on the DL.

Cliff Lee may remain with the Indians as they have an option year for him next season.

From what Heyman said some teams are looking but with only one or two teams out of contention pickings are pretty slim. So this looks to be the reason Walt has been patient, just not a buyers market right now. With no big pitchers on the market Harang and Arroy may look really good to a desperate team.

Tony Cloninger
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I am surprised he did not say that the Yankees were trying to trade for everyone...since every time a rumor starts it's always the yankees who are mentioned ....even though they really do not have a need for a certain player or don't have that much to offer in terms of players.

KoryMac5
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
They didn't talk about the Yankees much, they mentioned that the Mets may want to take a look at Dunn as they have lost power in that lineup. Heyman spends some time with Casey and Larkin at the MLB studio and they both said for raw power they have never seen anyone quite like Adam Dunn. Dunn has the most raw power they have ever seen in a player which is saying a lot.

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2009, 12:57 AM
No news on the trade front, too many teams feel they are still in contention. Heyman did mention the Nationals as the only team that has made guys available. Dunn and Johnson are two guys the Nats want top prospects for. They will also unload Kearns and Milledge for anything at this point.

I would take a chance on Milledge if he can be had cheaply. He has plenty of talent. He needs a change of scenery, IMO.

TheNext44
06-17-2009, 02:22 AM
John Heyman from SI was on WFAN talking about news and notes from baseball here is a sampling of what he had to say:

Manny Acta will most likely be fired after the Nationals play the Yankees. They did not want the new manger starting off against the Yankees. Bobby Valentine has been mentioned as the sucessor but the Nats don't want to pay him that kind of money.

Would anyone trade Alonso for Dunn? I would.

It probably would take more, but not much more. They get a guy on the cheap for 5 years, who looks to be a solid middle of the lineup hitter. The Reds get a power hitter they need, who is signed to a very reasonable three year contract.

Defense is the key from the Reds side, but Alonso at 1B and Votto in LF (the likely future) is an unknown defensively, and might be worse than Votto at 1B and Dunn in LF. Also, I think that the defense is solid enough this year, that it can handle weakness at one position, if he provides enough offense.

Taveras/Dickerson/Stubbs
Votto
Phillips
Dunn
Hernandez
Bruce
EE
AGon

I like it.

I know, why not just sign him over the off season? I don't think that the FO was willing to risk additional payroll if they were not going to be contenders. Now that they are, I think it makes sense.

Raisor
06-17-2009, 07:58 AM

It probably would take more, but not much more. They get a guy on the cheap for 5 years, who looks to be a solid middle of the lineup hitter. The Reds get a power hitter they need, who is signed to a very reasonable three year contract.

Dunn's on a two year deal, btw.

If you trade Alonso, you have to get a high level bat at an up the middle position.

redsfandan
06-17-2009, 08:03 AM
I would take a chance on Milledge if he can be had cheaply. He has plenty of talent. He needs a change of scenery, IMO.
I'll second that.

If you trade Alonso, you have to get a high level bat at an up the middle position.
My preference as well.

I can't remember the last time someone used his defense to sell Dunn.

klw
06-17-2009, 08:04 AM

Won't that be on Milledge's gravestone?

Here lies Lastings Miledge- I have left this earth is search of a change of scenery.

cumberlandreds
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Won't that be on Milledge's gravestone?

Here lies Lastings Miledge- I have left this earth is search of a change of scenery.

Milledge had a change of scenery once already from NYC to DC. It didn't help much so I don't think another one will do it.

PuffyPig
06-17-2009, 08:35 AM

It probably would take more, but not much more. They get a guy on the cheap for 5 years, who looks to be a solid middle of the lineup hitter.

They would have control of Alonso for 6 years, not 5.

redsmetz
06-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Remember, we can't trade Alonso until a year from when he signed; that was at the deadline, wasn't it? August?

RedLegSuperStar
06-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I bet Washington would take one of our surplus of bullpen arms for Lastings. I like his upside.

Matt Holliday will be traded. Mark my word! Oakland would have to offer Holliday arbitration and that would result in about 13-16 million. Holliday may not get a better deal and has said he likes Oakland. So if the A's think they are a lock for 2 draft picks.. They could be upset. They are better off getting talent now based on the way they play the market.

redsmetz
06-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I bet Washington would take one of our surplus of bullpen arms for Lastings. I like his upside.

Matt Holliday will be traded. Mark my word! Oakland would have to offer Holliday arbitration and that would result in about 13-16 million. Holliday may not get a better deal and has said he likes Oakland. So if the A's think they are a lock for 2 draft picks.. They could be upset. They are better off getting talent now based on the way they play the market.

You make a very good point. If economic conditions still aren't on much of an upswing as the market opens (or haven't looked up at all), the players will understand the market that developed part way through last year's post-season. And arbitrators can't factor in team financials when making their decisions, so Oakland will have to be willing to pony up for one year if they intend to take the risk of offering arbitration, knowing he could accept.

KoryMac5
06-17-2009, 10:38 AM
With Scott Boras as his agent no way Holliday signs a one year deal from Oakland arbitration or not. Boras loves to sell his clients talents to teams and I have to believe with their outfields lacking this year both the Mets and Yankees will be first in line to give Holliday his 15 million a year. I would imagine that Oakland deals him by July as more teams get desperate for a bat.

PuffyPig
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
You make a very good point. If economic conditions still aren't on much of an upswing as the market opens (or haven't looked up at all), the players will understand the market that developed part way through last year's post-season. And arbitrators can't factor in team financials when making their decisions, so Oakland will have to be willing to pony up for one year if they intend to take the risk of offering arbitration, knowing he could accept.

Firstly, I doubt that Holliday will be forced to accept arbitration as a way of getting a payday.

And secondly, even if he does, Oakland can trade him. Hooliday signed to a one year deal (even at $15M) has lots of value, probably more than he has today (since there is less than 4 months of the season to go).