PDA

View Full Version : Roenicke called up, Lincoln to the DL

_Sir_Charles_
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM
In the Louisville Bats game notes for today's game...http://louisville.bats.milb.com/stats/page.jsp?ymd=20080305&content_id=354581&vkey=stats_t416&fext=.jsp&sid=t416

TODAY’S MOVES: RHP Josh Roenicke is recalled by Cincinnati today; he made his ML debut last season with the Reds
as a Sept. call up. Also today, IF Chris Valaika is activated from the DL after fracturing his right hand May 9.

Thanks to the Sundeck for the headsup.

Homer Bailey
06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Gotta be Lincoln. Right?

BRM
06-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Who gets sent down? Lincoln is the best choice but he has to approve it first.

_Sir_Charles_
06-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I would think it'd be Lincoln for sure. I know they need his approval, but if he's cleared waivers & nobody wanted him...he doesn't really have much leverage. I'd think he almost has to accept the demotion. What are his other options? Retirement, free agency (not sure if that's an option), going to work at a shoe store?

Kc61
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Lincoln cleared waivers, we've all read. Hairston got hit with a pitch and came out of last night's game. Reds carrying 13 pitchers before this Roenicke transaction. So we could see multiple moves.

But I'd assume that Lincoln will be sent down, released, or traded as part of it.

And he could be traded because, having cleared waivers, the Reds would now presumably be stuck with his salary so the acquiring team gets him cheap.

NDRed
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Sit at home, collect the 4 million, and then retire. I could live with that

BRM
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I would think it'd be Lincoln for sure. I know they need his approval, but if he's cleared waivers & nobody wanted him...he doesn't really have much leverage. I'd think he almost has to accept the demotion. What are his other options? Retirement, free agency (not sure if that's an option), going to work at a shoe store?

He'll be more enticing to other teams now since the Reds will have to pick up the tab on nearly all of his salary. Any team can sign him for the minimum now if he chooses free agency. The Reds pay the rest.

Sea Ray
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
They could send Burton down

Falls City Beer
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
They could send Burton down

Yeah, doesn't he have options?

Always look for the guys with options first.

BRM
06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah, doesn't he have options?

Always look for the guys with options first.

Burton
Fisher
Herrera

Those are the most likely of the "have options" group. Maloney is still needed in the rotation for now.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Sit at home, collect the 4 million, and then retire. I could live with that

Whenever this happens, I just make sure to think of the guy with no discernable talent and a < 70 IQ winning the powerball.

It makes me feel better that at least a guy like Lincoln contributed for a year (in some capacity) and then was rewarded with a $4M lottery ticket.

Degenerate39
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Burton
Fisher
Herrera

Those are the most likely of the "have options" group. Maloney is still needed in the rotation for now.

No way the send Herrera down or Fisher IMO.

KoryMac5
06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
I would say send Burton down, to work on what is ailing him. Let Lincoln mop up the games that are out of hand.

BRM
06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
No way the send Herrera down or Fisher IMO.

I agree. My money is on Burton.

lollipopcurve
06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Excellent move. They need to churn a little talent on the major league roster -- though the makeup of the 40-man is an impediment, unfortunately. Keep guys on their toes and start to evaluate and develop guys who are on the cusp.

I think Roenicke has made progress this year. We'll know more after a few appearances.

REDREAD
06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
I would say send Burton down, to work on what is ailing him. Let Lincoln mop up the games that are out of hand.

That's what I would do too.
If Burton was performing, the decision would be a lot more difficult, but Burton's struggles make this a pretty easy call. Hopefully Burton gets himself straightened out and forces the Reds to call him back up soon.

Since the rest of the bullpen (outside of Burton and Lincoln) is performing well, I think the Reds can use Lincoln for mop up. Someone has got to pitch those innings. There's always the hope that Lincoln might turn himself around a little bit too and be a decent middle reliever. If the Reds bullpen was the gasoline can that it was in past years, I'd be more inclined to just release Lincoln.

Kc61
06-17-2009, 01:16 PM
At this point, I'd be reluctant to send down Burton. He's done ok of late. Fisher, Herrera and Roenicke are rookies. (Herrera doesn't pitch like one.) But I'd want to keep an experienced reliever who can be used in meaningful situations.

Lincoln is very likely to be the one gone.

Of course, Votto hopefully is on his way back, EE and Volquez after that, so more moves will be made. An exchange of Roenicke for Lincoln leaves 13 pitchers.

flyer85
06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
the easy call is to release the 34 year old Lincoln

_Sir_Charles_
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
When the Reds optioned Burton to Louisville on the 2nd (when he never really went anywhere due to Volquez going right back on the DL) it may have been the shock to his system that he badly needed. Since June 2nd, Burton has gone 6 IP with 6 hits, 1 ER, 4 bb, 3 k's, 14 ground outs, 8 fly outs and a 1.50 era. Certainly not 'lights out' but certainly a big improvement over what he was doing prior to that. I think he's worked out those kinks and really don't see anything for him to learn in Louisville. He's struggled this year overall, but he's proved that he belongs with the big club IMO.

Kc61
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
One thing for sure. The Reds under this GM are willing to bring prospects up to the big leagues. The team now has Roenicke, Maloney, Herrera, Fisher, Rosales, Janish, Hanigan, Dickerson, Bruce, Cueto -- that's ten guys I count who came directly from the Reds farm to the bigs in the last two years and are still with the club.

HokieRed
06-17-2009, 01:28 PM
One thing for sure. The Reds under this GM are willing to bring prospects up to the big leagues. The team now has Roenicke, Maloney, Herrera, Fisher, Rosales, Janish, Hanigan, Dickerson, Bruce, Cueto -- that's ten guys I count who came directly from the Reds farm to the bigs in the last two years and are still with the club.

Good post. It should stand as a corrective to those who see Walt as so conservative and unwilling to bring players up. We're probably a week from seeing Bailey added to the list and maybe a couple from adding Stubbs (or one of Bankston, Richar, Stubbs, depending on who stays hot at L'ville.)

flyer85
06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
One thing for sure. The Reds under this GM are willing to bring prospects up to the big leagues. The team now has Roenicke, Maloney, Herrera, Fisher, Rosales, Janish, Hanigan, Dickerson, Bruce, Cueto -- that's ten guys I count who came directly from the Reds farm to the bigs in the last two years and are still with the club.and mostly they have met with success.

Now they need to bring up a few more and take out the garbage.

TheNext44
06-17-2009, 01:33 PM
When the Reds optioned Burton to Louisville on the 2nd (when he never really went anywhere due to Volquez going right back on the DL) it may have been the shock to his system that he badly needed. Since June 2nd, Burton has gone 6 IP with 6 hits, 1 ER, 4 bb, 3 k's, 14 ground outs, 8 fly outs and a 1.50 era. Certainly not 'lights out' but certainly a big improvement over what he was doing prior to that. I think he's worked out those kinks and really don't see anything for him to learn in Louisville. He's struggled this year overall, but he's proved that he belongs with the big club IMO.

Yeah, but in the stats that are important for a short reliever, he has a 1.66 WHIP, a 4.5 K/9 and has allowed 2 of his 3 inherited runners to score.

I say he goes down instead of Lincoln.

I will say that judging from interviews I have seen and read of Lincoln, he would gladly go down to AAA if the team asked him. He seems to be a real humble guy, who understands how lucky and fortunate he is to be a major league ball player.

flyer85
06-17-2009, 01:37 PM
I will say that judging from interviews I have seen and read of Lincoln, he would gladly go down to AAA if the team asked him. He seems to be a real humble guy, who understands how lucky and fortunate he is to be a major league ball player.and he has several million securely in his back pocket ... he has his money.

redsmetz
06-17-2009, 01:40 PM
With regards to Lincoln, as I understand it, while he's cleared waivers (which would allow the Reds to send him to AAA with his permission), if a trade ensues right now, the other club would be on the hook for the entire amount. The Reds would have to release Lincoln and have someone claim him. A straight up trade is highly unlikely, so it probably is a moot point. My guess is that if Lincoln is the one going down. he'll agree to it. He wants to stay in the ML's and if he has to go down there to fix things back up, then do it. It also enhances his tradeability, if he fixes things, but that's a different story.

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Roenicke recalled, Lincoln to the DL
Posted by JohnFay at 6/17/2009 2:05 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Reds called up right-hander Josh Roenicke from Triple-A Louisville. Mike Lincoln was placed on the disabled list with bugling disc in the his neck.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a286409db-c840-40fd-938e-1cbb06764aa1&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

BRM
06-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Lincoln to the DL. Didn't even know he was hurt but I haven't been able to follow closely the last week or so.

Cyclone792
06-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Ah yes, bulging disc in the neck ... also known as the phantom injury in order to get a guy off the roster who has the ability to refuse assignment.

Nevertheless, I'm glad Lincoln's off the roster and I hope to never see him pitching in a Reds uniform again. Good riddance.

redsmetz
06-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Lincoln to the DL. Didn't even know he was hurt but I haven't been able to follow closely the last week or so.

This is the first I've heard about it. I'm not saying they're faking it. I'm just pointing out that there's no mention of it.

OnBaseMachine
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Ah yes, bulging disc in the neck ... also known as the phantom injury in order to get a guy off the roster who has the ability to refuse assignment.

Nevertheless, I'm glad Lincoln's off the roster and I hope to never see him pitching in a Reds uniform again. Good riddance.

I don't know, I think this injury may be legit. He's been jerking his neck around a lot this season to see where those line drives are landing.

BRM
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Didn't we read awhile back that players have to agree to go on the DL?

_Sir_Charles_
06-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Phantom injury anyone? Seems just a bit too "convienient" in my eyes.

Cyclone792
06-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know, I think this injury may be legit. He's been jerking his neck around a lot this season to see where those line drives are landing.

:lol:

Good call, OBM, good call!

Chip R
06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Didn't we read awhile back that players have to agree to go on the DL?

I thought so and someone with the Reds told me that a few years ago but there's nothing in the Basic Agreement that says a player has to approve.

reds44
06-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Nothing like going to the DL with a case of being bad.

MrCinatit
06-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Are we sure this is Josh Roenicke being called up,a nd not Ron Roenicke. Ron WAS a teammate of Baker's in the early 1980's.

Caveat Emperor
06-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Nothing like going to the DL with a case of being bad.

Sometimes it's a combo of a conveniently timed injury and being bad -- see: Encarnacion, Edwin. :D

;)

Jpup
06-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I've been thinking that Lincoln has been hurt for a while. I've mentioned it on here several times. Hopefully he gets the proper treatment and comes back to pitch like he did last season.

RED VAN HOT
06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I've been thinking that Lincoln has been hurt for a while. I've mentioned it on here several times. Hopefully he gets the proper treatment and comes back to pitch like he did last season.

I have felt that way as well. I just couldn't see that much of a drop off if he were physically sound. He may have been trying to play through it, just as EE did. In sports it is considered manly to suck it up and play with pain. Then also there's Wally Pip syndrome. Baseball, however, eventually exploits any lingering weaknesses. I suspect the injury was legitimate.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-17-2009, 04:38 PM
I appreciate anyone clearing up the confusion I have with this....

Why hasn't Bill Bray already been moved to the 60-day DL? What is the reason for waiting? Is there a benefit to it?

TIA.

redsmetz
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM

Why hasn't Bill Bray already been moved to the 60-day DL? What is the reason for waiting? Is there a benefit to it?

TIA.

Apparently moving him to the 60 day DL means he accrues ML service time and so that will be a last resort move. Right now he's not accumulating any service time as a major leaguer.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Apparently moving him to the 60 day DL means he accrues ML service time and so that will be a last resort move. Right now he's not accumulating any service time as a major leaguer.

Makes sense.

So he doesn't accrue ML service time on the 15 day DL, since he wasn't on the 25-man when he went on the DL, but once placed on the 60-day, he accrues ML service time (even if he was not on the 25-man)?

Thanks again.

Team Clark
06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
I am going to tonight's game. Hope to see Roenicke pitch.

camisadelgolf
06-17-2009, 06:52 PM

TIA.
You're not allowed to put a player on the 60-day DL until you want to add another player to the 40-man roster.

klw
06-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Per Hal the injury has been ongoing and he hid it from the team.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/17/votto_to_start_rehab_assignmen.html

ALSO, the Reds lost pitcher Mike Lincoln and gained pitcher Josh Roenicke. dLincoln was placed on the DL with a bulging disc in his neck, an injury he tried to hide from the team. Roenicke was recalled from Class AAA Louisville.

“He had it for a while, but he didn’t want to say anything,” said Baker. “He thought he was letting the team down already and I told him, ‘Hey, man. This is just making it worse.’ That’s nothing to play with - neck, back or spine problems. He said he was trying to fight through it, especially all the time he was on the DL before (three years with Tommy John surgery) that the last thing he wanted to do was go back on the DL.

“I understand that, but it is not quite hero time yet,” Baker said. “It’s admirable whenl your guys want to play, want to pitch and contribute, but hopefully now we can get it straight and he can come back and be the Linc that we know.”

redsmetz
06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Makes sense.

So he doesn't accrue ML service time on the 15 day DL, since he wasn't on the 25-man when he went on the DL, but once placed on the 60-day, he accrues ML service time (even if he was not on the 25-man)?

Thanks again.

Right now he's not getting ML service time because he's been in the minors. He's technically on Louisville's DL.

Heath
06-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Bulging Disc?

Hope Steve Levy's not doing SportsCenter tonight.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/scorecard/daily_list/2007/10/favorite-announcer-moments.html

Blitz Dorsey
06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
About freakin' time.

RedlegJake
06-17-2009, 10:19 PM

I agree. I've stayed off Linc's case hoping he'd right the ship and pitch like he did the first half last year. A bulging disc in the neck is nothing to play with. It may seem convenient but Mike might have finally stepped forward about it knowing someone was going to have to go.

REDREAD
06-18-2009, 09:29 AM
I thought so and someone with the Reds told me that a few years ago but there's nothing in the Basic Agreement that says a player has to approve.

Didn't Pendleton file a grievance when the Reds tried to sneak him on the DL.
IIRC, he made a big stink about the fact that he wasn't really injured.
Not saying you are wrong, I don't know how it works.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Right now he's not getting ML service time because he's been in the minors. He's technically on Louisville's DL.

That's what I said. Since he's not on the 25 man he accrues no ML service time. My question is, even if he was not on the 25-man, once he goes to 60-day DL, does he then accrue ML service time?

Looks like camisa answered part of the question as well.

So even though we have 40 (counting Bray) we essentially have 39, since we can move him to the 60-day whenever we need to add a player?

I'm just still wondering about the service time part of it.

redsmetz
06-18-2009, 11:02 AM
That's what I said. Since he's not on the 25 man he accrues no ML service time. My question is, even if he was not on the 25-man, once he goes to 60-day DL, does he then accrue ML service time?

Looks like camisa answered part of the question as well.

So even though we have 40 (counting Bray) we essentially have 39, since we can move him to the 60-day whenever we need to add a player?

I'm just still wondering about the service time part of it.

To move him to the 60 day DL, as I understand it, would require moving him back to the 25 (hence making him a ML'er) and then he accrues ML service time while on the 60 day DL. They may well be forced to do that, but for now, they're biding their time until circumstances necessitate such a move.