PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Stadium

cincrazy
06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I attended the Yankees game last night against the Nationals and was able to sit in the bleachers. While the new stadium isn't as loud as the old stadium was, the difference between baseball in New York and baseball in Cincinnati is astounding. Even when the Reds are good, it's a different ball game. It's like attending an OSU football game when you're at a Yankees game, and I love it.

I wish the passion and the excitement was such in Cincinnati. It was a mid-June game against the Nationals, but the place was alive. Say what you will about the city, and its fans, but they treat every win as if its the last win they'll ever see, and I love that.

The Stadium is gorgeous. It's not a baseball stadium, it's a palace. The food is expensive ($12 bucks for a ham and cheese sandwich) and the lines in Monument Park are unbearable, but its all worth it. I strongly suggest finding a way to get there if you can. Not just to New York... but to Boston, or Chicago, or Chavez Ravine if you're out that way... these places bleed baseball history, and it makes for a magical night.

Looking out through the concourse of the new stadium into the old one gave me goosebumps. The stadium is gutted now, and construction workers are climbing all over it. But the sense of history you get just being in that spot is enough to send chills down your spine.

I love my Reds. Always will. But I think it's sad that the atmosphere will never be at a Reds game what it is at some of these other places. I understand why many big free agents go to New York and other major cities. Partly money? Yes. But also, the passion and the energy from the fan base is contagious. I can't blame them for heading that way. I would as well.

RANDY IN INDY
06-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Were you ever at a sellout at Riverfront during the Big Red Machine days?

Homer Bailey
06-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Were you ever at a sellout at Riverfront during the Big Red Machine days?

He's 24, so I'm guessing no.

I actually got quite the opposite feeling when I saw Clemens win 350 in the old Yankee. The fans that were around me were idiots. They were clamoring about how A-Rod needed to get traded despite the fact he was leading the league in basically every category. They were bitter and booed any chance they god.

I live next to Wrigley and go to games often, and those fans aren't much better. It's filled with idoits that go there to party and not care about the game. That being said, there is a certain energy around the team that I could understand the desire to play for such a team, but it also comes with much larger scrutiny.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I agree with cincrazy. Unfortunately it's been that way for years and will only continue. Fans here are far too passive to make for an intersting atmosphere oustide of a few random "big" games. And usually then it takes the insult of thousands of Cubs fans to prod Cincy fans into action.

There's never much noise, hardly ever any chants, and it takes the scoreboard to flash "NOISE" in the 9th inning to rile Cincinnati fans during crucial situations.

Cincinnati's passive kumbaya fans are probably the biggest reason why Cubs/Cards/Steelers fans feel at liberty to throw their weight around here.