PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Cardinals might be headed into trouble

Ghosts of 1990
06-17-2009, 05:51 PM
http://deadspin.com/5291272/how-the-cardinals-could-lose-albert-pujols?skyline=true&s=x

Really good, well-written article by a die hard Cards fan, Will Leitch.

Just a quick excerpt:

I'm not sure people realize how possible it is that Albert Pujols won't be a Cardinal in three years. And every day, every loss, every solo Pujols homer, makes it a little more likely to happen.

The great Bernie Miklasz touched on this in his column yesterday, but I think he was soft-pedaling it a little bit, lest your average St. Louis Post-Dispatch reader try to drown him-or-herself in his/her oatmeal. Pujols leaving wouldn't be as damaging as LeBron James leaving Cleveland we at least have won a couple of World Series over the last 40 years but it would be close. And it might actually be more likely to happen. It's the most terrifying notion imaginable to any Cardinals fan, and, all told, if you were to ask me to set odds on it, I'd say it's 50-50. And that's probably being optimistic.

Pujols isn't a free agent until after the 2011 season, though that's somewhat misleading: The Cardinals will have to take care of his contract situation long before then. He has a $16 million option for that season, one the Cardinals would obviously pick up. But $16 million is nothing: That's $2 million less than Andruw Jones is making this year. If the Cardinals let it go long enough to the point that they're picking up that option, Pujols is as good as gone already.

-----article continues--------

Ghosts of 1990
06-17-2009, 05:54 PM
My goodness, this quote turns my stomach and makes me want every game we can win urgently..... ugh the truth hurts me.

And the city itself is struggling financially; wait, come All-Star time, for all the reports about the empty lot next to Busch Stadium that was supposed to house "local businesses." Not even Anheuser-Busch is owned by St. Louisans anymore. The Cardinals could turn into the Royals, the Reds or the Orioles quicker than you think, once-proud franchises decimated by money worries and a heartbroken fanbase. (You can take a look at their payroll through Cot's Baseball Contracts.) That very well might happen if the Cardinals lose Pujols. It's more possible than anyone realizes.

DTCromer
06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
The only way Pujols leaves St. Louis is if he absolutely hates STL.

STL better offer this man at least 20-25 mill/year for his services.

Nothing to see here.

Ghosts of 1990
06-18-2009, 12:20 AM
This article makes you realize how urgent it is each night to go out and get wins (for every MLB franchise) and makes you realize how much a bad patch can hurt.

corwinator3407
06-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Pujols isn't going anywhere, IMO, and way too soon for a first place team to be worrying about two years down the road.

CySeymour
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
This article makes you realize how urgent it is each night to go out and get wins (for every MLB franchise) and makes you realize how much a bad patch can hurt.

I totally agree...good post.

Which is why I am of the opinion that 2010 HAS to be treated by this franchise as an all out go for it year. Between now and opening day 2010, they have to get a couple more bats in order to do that.

Ghosts of 1990
06-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Pujols isn't going anywhere, IMO, and way too soon for a first place team to be worrying about two years down the road.

I enjoy your posts Corwinator, but the Brewers are in first place.

bgwilly31
06-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Who cares if they could be in trouble 3 yrs from now.

You know how much can change in 3 yrs.

DTCromer
06-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I totally agree...good post.

Which is why I am of the opinion that 2010 HAS to be treated by this franchise as an all out go for it year. Between now and opening day 2010, they have to get a couple more bats in order to do that.

I disagree. I just believe this franchise has to go to the playoffs to keep the fans interested and then follow up with the same type of year in 2011. Cincinnati fans live off 1 year. 1999 with the Reds and 2005 with the Bengals (hell, people still lkept coming to bengals games after 15 years of losing)

Contrary to some posters on this board, this organization is actually trying win. I think they have a plan and know what they're doing. The minor leagues are stocked full of youngsters for a run in 2010 and 2011 and we actually have some veterans who are worth something in a trade at the deadline. This team is extremely versatile when it comes to the trading deadline this year and July 31st may be one of the biggest days in recent Reds history.

Ghosts of 1990
06-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Who cares if they could be in trouble 3 yrs from now.

You know how much can change in 3 yrs.

If you read the article, bgwilly31, it's basically saying they're in trouble now. It's Albert Pujols and everyone else..... and everyone else isn't doing much.