PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad this guy isn't running the reds

medford
06-18-2009, 09:29 AM
or at least their minor league system, though it is a sometimes debated topic..

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/reds-treatment-of-farm-system-still-broken-167773.html

By Marc Katz
Staff Writer
12:49 AM Thursday, June 18, 2009
Second-guessing is so much fun when you can do it without any consequences, but the Reds knew they weren’t stocking the Dragons with a highly talented team right from the start this season.

Of course, they refused — and continued to refuse — to admit that, hiding behind the idea they thought this team could win because most of the players were on a winning team at rookie-level Billings, Mont., last season.

Actually, some of the Dragons would be a lot better if they were playing alongside a couple of top-level prospects who could protect them in the lineup.

However, this new Reds regime under General Manager Walt Jocketty wants to move players through the system a little faster, so third baseman Neftali Soto (.253 with 5 homers and 18 RBIs) and shortstop Alex Buchholz (.250, 2, 16) are at “high” Class A Sarasota, Fla., even though at least a half season at Dayton might have served them better.

Oh, and catcher Devin Mesoraco is slogging along with a .204 batting average at Sarasota as well.

I know all the excuses of why those assignments were made, but it’s not like the Reds have had a long history of success at the minor-league level while changing general managers and farm directors at a rate of about every two years.

The Dragons will have their sixth losing season (in 10) this season, while all the Reds general managers and farm directors repeat the dictum they’re in it to develop players and, by the way, they’d like to win, too.

Well, the Reds have had eight straight losing seasons going in that direction and are tottering just above that level at this moment.

There are seven former Dragons on the current Reds roster (not counting Joey Votto and Edwin Encarnacion on the DL), and only one of them — catcher Ryan Hanigan — played on a winning team in Dayton.

Sure hope the Reds aren’t waiting for some of the current Dragons to help them out 3-4 years from now.

Get a good start

Dragons manager Todd Benzinger said it could be important to get a big hit early in a career.

“I played against Tom Glavine in the minors and hit a homer off him,” Benzinger said. “He pitched me like I was Mickey Mantle the rest of my career.”

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2157 or mkatz@DaytonDailyNews.com.

medford
06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
ironic part is, the Dragons have the potential to have one of their most talented teams next year depending on the progress of Yorman & Duran, and some of the younger signees from the last 2 draft classes.

lollipopcurve
06-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Katz whines about this more and more, like a baby who needs his bottle.

Sounds like he needs a change of scenery.

traderumor
06-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I pay little to no attention to our minor league team's records. Just as an example of why, I remember the Indians parading their minor leaguers around the field one day just a few years back because they had won so many games when their system was top ranked in the post-Colon trade days. So far, all it has really produced as far as quality is Grady Sizemore, Victor Martinez, and Brandon Phillips playing for someone else.

OesterPoster
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Katz writes that same article several times every year. His editor really should stop paying him for the recycled trash.

Mario-Rijo
06-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Katz writes that same article several times every year. His editor really should stop paying him for the recycled trash.

No doubt I have been expecting this for some weeks now, surprised it took him about 2 months to pout about it again. We should expect at least 1 more article from him on it this season plus a few more references to it in other pieces for the next 2 months.

medford
06-18-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure of this, but I got the impression from udpride.com that Katz may have been on a month long sabatical similar to John Fay to help the paper reduce cost. Katz has had 4 or 5 straight days of UD recruiting coverage, telling me he was at least putting together some content while he was gone, waiting until his paid return (assuming my assumption is correct). Could be why we haven't seen the article any earlier.

OnBaseMachine
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM

I was about to say the same thing. Every year around this time Katz comes out with this same article.

OesterPoster
06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
I think that paper (DDN) is in trouble, especially with the local economy going into the tank even further. They have 18 articles on 8 pages in the sports section today. Only 9 of those articles are written by DDN employees. The rest are wire stories.

redsmetz
06-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I think that paper (DDN) is in trouble, especially with the local economy going into the tank even further. They have 18 articles on 8 pages in the sports section today. Only 9 of those articles are written by DDN employees. The rest are wire stories.

This is pretty much true of every newspaper in the country.

dougdirt
06-18-2009, 01:07 PM
I won't go far into it, but this article has been in the works since Day 1 of the season. Katz has talked about the lack of top 30 prospects on the team all year.

GIDP
06-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Is it this time of the year again?

Mario-Rijo
06-18-2009, 04:31 PM
I won't go far into it, but this article has been in the works since Day 1 of the season. Katz has talked about the lack of top 30 prospects on the team all year.

Exactly I believe his 1st piece of the season (or somewhere close to it) on the Dragons he complained about it. And did the same last season as well, not to the same extent. But just the whole idea that the Reds are shafting the Dragons by filling the team with mostly non-prospects. Get a grip Katz and while your at it get some perspective.

redsmetz
06-18-2009, 05:28 PM
I understand the first priority of a farm system is to develop players for the big club. And yet, each minor league team is a business unto itself and trying to make a profit and see a team that will draw fans. We do know, I think, IIRC, that this was a beef of the Chattanooga owner. I understand it's a delicate balance and I appreciated Walt Krivsky's philosophy of moving players from level to level and I haven't seen Jockety deviate from. While it may be an annual complaint, it's understandable since he's writing to the Dayton market. I'm sure Dragons fans aren't thrilled with the record.

I'm assuming that some of this year's signees will play some time in Dayton. Will that help with this issue?

OesterPoster
06-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Based on the games I've been to, you couldn't find more than a handful of Dragons fans who could tell you whether the team won or lost on a given night. Most are there just to be there.

TheNext44
06-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Katz job is to cover the Dragons. He is writing for Daytonians and Dragons fans, not Reds fans (although there is a lot of cross over). I would be disappointed as a Dragon fan if he didn't write this article.

Blitz Dorsey
06-19-2009, 10:33 AM
You guys have to understand (and many do) that Katz is a complete hack and always has been. Way back in the day he used to cover Ohio State football for the DDN, but they yanked him off of that beat after many complaints from readers and replaced him with a young lady named Susan Vinella who was covering Wright State basketball at the time. Katz wasn't immediately put on the WSU beat, but that's his beat now in the winter time. He's been at the paper for years and he covers the Dragons and Wright State basketball. The one time he had a good gig at the paper, he blew it pretty quickly. Kind of tells you everything you need to know about his writing acumen.

By the way, did someone say Katz was filing UD basketball recruiting stories? Does Katz no longer cover my alma mater of Wright State? (If so, I need to know so I can throw a parade.) Course, as bad of shape as newspapers are in, maybe Katz is covering UD and WSU now. But Doug Harris does a good job covering UD, so unless he's left the paper, I can't imagine they would have replaced him with Katz. Maybe Katz was just helping Harris out while Harris was on his "sabbatical."

Anyway, when Katz behaves like an immature whining baby in his stories, it should be expected.

medford
06-19-2009, 10:49 AM
that was me, and I had my reporters mixed up. Doug Harris is covering UD

lollipopcurve
06-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Katz job is to cover the Dragons. He is writing for Daytonians and Dragons fans, not Reds fans (although there is a lot of cross over). I would be disappointed as a Dragon fan if he didn't write this article.

If that's the kind of story Dragons fans need/want, I'd say they're thoroughly misinformed about the place of the Dragons in professional baseball. Their team will never be constructed to win as many games as possible. The quality of the club will rise and fall -- just as drafts are sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes in between -- and the best prospects will tend to move on more quickly than the fans would like. Despite the struggles some of the teams have had recently, the ballpark experience in Dayton remains very high quality, and that's all minor league fans can really ask for, I'd say. It's a fun, relatively affordable night out for the family. My sense is that Dayton fans recognize this, given the attendance record there. I'm guessing the carping about the quality of the team comes more from Katz and whoever he talks to behind the scenes -- people with bones, and little else, to pick.