PDA

View Full Version : Dusty/Walt - what are you waiting for?

UPRedsFan
06-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Looking at June it's obvious the lineup needs to change.

Taveras is actually 1 for 42 in June! In case you're calculating that's a .023 BA. Worse yet, he's 8 for his last 94 (time frame was when his hitting streak ended in May). That's .085 BA. How can we expect to score runs with that leading off?

Meanwhile Dickerson is hitting .265 in June (and 22 for his last 82 ab's - .268) and he's relegated to pinch hitting. Taveras should only see the starting lineup against tough lefties.

AGON is hitting .193 for June. Hairston is .170. Give Janish some playing time at ss and 3b. Improve the defense and stay even at worst on offense. When Votto gets back, let's move Hernandez to 3b and keep Hannigan in there until EE is ready.

lidspinner
06-18-2009, 11:16 PM
honestly, I have to agree...at what point is Dusty trying to be loyal and give WillyT is chance to get out of slump compared to jsut plain bad coaching? Even the worst managers would have to start looking at other options for a few spots on this team.

BluegrassRedleg
06-18-2009, 11:48 PM
It's amazing that a major league franchise would stick with a non-star that long. I've been a Reds fan for ~35 years now, and I've never seen one of our guys go through such an inept stretch.

bubbachunk
06-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Stunts like this make me pay more attention to the minors and hope for a better tomorrow.

BLEEDS
06-19-2009, 12:18 AM
And some people here laughed when I said Wily T would hamstring our offense.

History is on my side, he sucks royal.

He had one "hot streak" which made a mirage for everyone to cling to, but that was bound to end as he regresses to his mean.

He's a horrible player, let alone leadoff candidate.

Our offense was disastrous before we acquired Wily T, now it's just pathetic.

Why Drew Stubbs can't be called up to replace this garbage is beyond me. Even at his worst, he's better than Wily T.

When a guy can't SLG higher than his OBP, which is barely above his BA, IN COORS FIELD, that should be the last straw. But no, we sign the guy to a SEVERELY unnecessary TWO year deal.

Great Move.

Even better Coaching to keep this guy in the lead off spot in your lineup.

Moronic.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

travisgrimes
06-19-2009, 12:47 AM
walt is waiting for this team to fall out of contention so he can deal the veterans on this ballclub and get prospects in return

Shawn_RedsFan
06-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Walt knows what he is doing..i trust him

Roush's socks
06-19-2009, 01:12 AM
It is getting ridiculous with Taveras. they should put him on the DL and let him fully heal from whatever is slowing him. Hopefully during that time DIckerson plays well enought to keep the job or at least platoon.

flash
06-19-2009, 08:57 AM
walt is waiting for this team to fall out of contention so he can deal the veterans on this ballclub and get prospects in return

What veterans

Taveras is signed through 2010
Arroyo is signed through 2010
Phillips through 2012 with an contact so back-loaded it looks like a squating elephant
EE 2010
Harang 2010
Lincoln 2010

Everyone talks about how great Jockerty is. He signed Taveras to that ridiculous contract when he already had Dickerson and Hopper.

He signed Lincoln to his ridiculous contract

I have to shake my head thinking about Phillips. Yeah, he hustles.

Harang and Arroyo are all right, but the truth is no one is going to give the Reds anything for the Reds' veterans given the state of the economy and the miserable performances most have put up this year. RIght now you couldn't get a pair of dirty socks for Taveras or EE.

I am sure Baker had a hand in the Taveras deal just like he did the Patterson deal. Baker has this thing for veterans that is just unbelievable. Hanigan would not be getting any kind of serious playing time if Votto wasn't injured. Ditto, Herrera for Bray. Yet now both are putting up some serious numbers for the ROY award. If I was Charlie manual I'd name Hanigan to the All-Star team. He has the numbers. (What would Baker do then?)

lidspinner
06-19-2009, 09:03 AM
my dad thinks WaltJ is a genius....I argue all the time...I think he has helped this team out alot and i think he will make us better in the future...I still have my doubts about this organization at the top...but then again, what franchise donet have issues at the top. its easy to hammer him on his bad moves, less we forget the good moves????????????

bubbachunk
06-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Walt knows what he is doing..i trust him

Hard to say right now. If he knew what he was doing then he would tell Dusty that Willy needs to be benched and Chris into the lineup.

flash
06-19-2009, 10:19 AM
my dad thinks WaltJ is a genius....I argue all the time...I think he has helped this team out alot and i think he will make us better in the future...I still have my doubts about this organization at the top...but then again, what franchise donet have issues at the top. its easy to hammer him on his bad moves, less we forget the good moves????????????

I am trying to think of a player he has acquired that has been truly a difference maker. Micah Owings, Arthur Rhodes, David Weahters was a decent signing. Maybe Masset. Other than those guys he hasn't put anything of significance on the field. His moves may have hurt his own player development.

schmidty622
06-19-2009, 10:31 AM
^^^Nix has been a nice signing for what it was. Hernandez has been an improvement over what we had at catcher last year.

Plus Plus
06-19-2009, 10:35 AM
The best move was not panicking and trading away important prospects like Alonso, Soto, Bailey, etc. for a quick fix like one year of Jermaine Dye or an equivalent player. I understand that having a .900 ops bat in LF would be a sure difference maker, but mortgaging the future on this team by shipping out all of the top end farm talent would be a great way to make sure the Reds don't compete for the next decade (again).

JoeyGears76
06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
The best move was not panicking and trading away important prospects like Alonso, Soto, Bailey, etc. for a quick fix like one year of Jermaine Dye or an equivalent player. I understand that having a .900 ops bat in LF would be a sure difference maker, but mortgaging the future on this team by shipping out all of the top end farm talent would be a great way to make sure the Reds don't compete for the next decade (again).

I could not agree with you more. :thumbup:

aceace
06-19-2009, 10:41 AM
As long as the Reds are above .500 and in the race, Walt is going to wait on his veterans to come back. Votto,EE and Edison could make a big difference in this race, enough so that he could judge better where we need to make the biggest improvement. Taveras is the only mystery, he needs to go to Louisville and figure it out or he's done soon. A former ROY should not be playing like this. Who cares how fast you are if you can't get on base. I expected 60-70 SB this year and he may not get on 60-70 times at this rate.

GIDP
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
This wouldnt be a big deal if Reds fans didnt think Chris Dickerson could put up similar numbers while playing better D.

Its simple though, Dusty doesnt see that Dickerson can take balls and knows what a strike is. Instead Dickerson does what a leadoff man should do and thats get on base the most he can. Dusty sees that Willy has stolen bases and has hit .320 before in a season.

Dickerson isnt going to set the world on fire but his ability to know balls and strikes makes it much more likely that hes goin to put up the better offensive numbers. That is unless Willy bats .320+ then its probably a wash.

aceace
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Signing WT to 2.25 M and giving him the job in CF has the brass embarrassed. Their scratching their heads trying to figure out how it all went so wrong. In reality 2.25 M over 2 years is not that much money. It's the same as Lincoln and who would have thought his year would be bad. Platoon WT and get it over with.

bounty37h
06-19-2009, 11:00 AM

I agree, but Alonzo couldnt be traded anyway yet

Jack Burton
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Has anyone grilled dusty on why he keeps running WT and AGon out there everyday 1,2? He has to be held accountable as it's getting ridiculous.

UPRedsFan
06-19-2009, 10:48 PM
YEAH DUSTY!!!!

Dickerson starts and gets 2 hits. Janish starts and plays defense but doesn't bat 2nd.

Now let's keep it that way for a few games.

Plus Plus
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I agree, but Alonzo couldnt be traded anyway yet

He could have been shipped out as a PTBNL named after August 15th.

Griffey012
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
And some people here laughed when I said Wily T would hamstring our offense.

History is on my side, he sucks royal.

He had one "hot streak" which made a mirage for everyone to cling to, but that was bound to end as he regresses to his mean.

He's a horrible player, let alone leadoff candidate.

Our offense was disastrous before we acquired Wily T, now it's just pathetic.

Why Drew Stubbs can't be called up to replace this garbage is beyond me. Even at his worst, he's better than Wily T.

When a guy can't SLG higher than his OBP, which is barely above his BA, IN COORS FIELD, that should be the last straw. But no, we sign the guy to a SEVERELY unnecessary TWO year deal.

Great Move.

Even better Coaching to keep this guy in the lead off spot in your lineup.

Moronic.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

The worst part is, he has turned out to be far worse than anyone could have forthseen even after a hot start.

nw_ohio_fan
06-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't think Walt has hurt this team. Ramon Hernandez was a very good move. Don't forget we didn't pay his salary. Ryan Freel didn't even stick around Baltimore. Our Bulpen is still a very good pen. I miss Dunn however we are moving foward. Let's not forget we are still in contention. I don't understand why people are mad. This team is doing good. Also let's not forget that the Cardinals have been in two World Series in the past 6 years. Can't argue what he did.