PDA

View Full Version : Is Billings Roster complete?

JaxRed
06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
There's a bunch of new names there

http://billings.mustangs.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=513&stn=true&sid=t513

dougdirt
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
I doubt its complete. I imagine a quick signing or two will change it before the season starts. Plus there were about 40 names on that roster.

tripleaaaron
06-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Ezequiel Infante looks interesting:
In 2008, went 3-0 with a microscopic 0.19 ERA and 14 savesin 26 relief appearances for the Rookie DSL Reds...allowed just 1 earned run over 47.0 innings...gave up a season-high 2 runs over 3.0 innings on 6/28 vs. DSLRockies...didn't allow another run the rest of the season (17g, 30.1ip).
Anyone know any more about him?
Luca Panerati as well, he has the frame 6'2 170 and at only 19 he can add on to it. he is a lefty that fared well in a short stint in the bullpen in the DSL. Anyone have any info on this guy?
http://billings.mustangs.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Ezequiel%20Infante&pos=P&sid=t513&t=p_pbp&pid=517359

Mario-Rijo
06-19-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm liking that OF, pretty good. I really am interested in seeing how Conner, Kou and Shunick fare (amongst a few others).

JaxRed
06-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Panerati is one of the Italian guys we signed a few years ago I think

BRM
06-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I thought they were planning to send Serrano to Dayton?

mac624
06-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Dayton and I suspect Tony Brown will move up pretty quickly too, especially when/if Fellhauser signs.

I also suspect Fluery will start here as well.

OnBaseMachine
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I thought they were planning to send Serrano to Dayton?

Earlier in the day, there was an indication a new player would be arriving shortly, and that may happen, but it isn’t certain.

Last week was Major League Baseball’s amateur draft, and the Reds have been busy signing draftees ever since. One of them, sixth-round pick Mark Serrano of Oral Roberts University, would be assigned to the Dragons, an e-mail from the Reds informed.

“He’s one guy we’re considering sending there,” said Reds Director of Development Terry Reynolds. “But he’ll do a minicamp in Billings, Mont., first. There are 3-4 pitchers we would consider sending to Dayton, but that decision hasn’t been made yet.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/dragons-beat-rain-lansing-166113.html

BRM
06-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks OBM.

mace
06-21-2009, 07:50 PM
A partial roster for the GCL Reds is listed here:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=472

Most of a pitching staff, anyway.

camisadelgolf
06-21-2009, 08:17 PM
A partial roster for the GCL Reds is listed here:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=472

Most of a pitching staff, anyway.
It's interesting to see Menchaca. I was under the impression that he had been released.

tripleaaaron
06-22-2009, 12:56 AM
It's interesting to see Menchaca. I was under the impression that he had been released.

I really wish he could learn to make contact because his mix of power and speed is god-like, but he couldn't hit his way out of a wet paper bag.

mace
06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Anybody know why Randall Linebaugh's status is listed as "restricted" on the Billings roster?

redsof72
06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Linebaugh retired. When a player retires, he goes on the restricted list so the organization maintains his rights. This prevents an unhappy player from retiring, then un-retiring and signing with another organization.

Menchaca was released. He did not pass the physical when he was released and that delayed the process.

OnBaseMachine
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Reynolds said he was expecting to send this year’s sixth-round draft pick, Mark Serrano of Oral Roberts, to Dayton. But a hip injury has that assignment on hold.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/second-coming-for-dragons-175481.html

flash
06-24-2009, 08:37 AM
I must admit I have sometimes wondered about how the Reds put these teams together. Billings seems to have a fairly good fan base. The town refurbished the stadium a year ago. They always have a meet a greet before the season also. The Mustangs also usually put a good team on the field also. The GCL by contrast seems to be a rather ragged organization. You can't even find out where they play (probably some high school field or a covered dump site.) They don't post attendance figures so probably nobody shows up. Kinda like Sarasota which draw more seagulls than spectators. It my history is correct they usually win about 10, maybe fifteen games and lose 40-50.

I don't know, but if I had just signed a contract I would strongly want to be in Billings than sweating in whereeversville Gulf coast. I wonder if there is any statistical data on the success of players passing through either place.

JaxRed
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Billings is higher level of rookie ball than GCL, so generally, college guys go there and high school guys go to GCL.

They do the GCL games at the back fields of the spring traning facility. No admission, no fans (literally 4 or 5 people usually family) are there, no score board, nothing.

mace
06-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Linebaugh retired. When a player retires, he goes on the restricted list so the organization maintains his rights. This prevents an unhappy player from retiring, then un-retiring and signing with another organization.

Thanks, 72. Do you have any updates on Hildenbrandt? He's listed on the Billings roster but was not mentioned in an article naming the starting rotation.

flash
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Billings is higher level of rookie ball than GCL, so generally, college guys go there and high school guys go to GCL.

They do the GCL games at the back fields of the spring traning facility. No admission, no fans (literally 4 or 5 people usually family) are there, no score board, nothing.

So GCL is like Baseball School or Basic training. I think some of the team needs a refresher course.

dougdirt
06-24-2009, 11:42 AM
So GCL is like Baseball School or Basic training. I think some of the team needs a refresher course.

Not really, its just the lowest level of pro baseball in the minor leagues that is played in the US. No one really cares about it because well, its played where they just don't care about baseball. Sure, it would be tough to sell tickets to that level of baseball, but in different areas I bet you could sell some. The league is a whole lot more about just getting experience against other pro's than it is trying to win something.

redsof72
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
This week: Hildenbrandt on the 60 day DL after should surgery. Others: Lotzkar: 60 day, elbow surgery. Jeff Jeffords, 60 day, elbow surgery. Ismael Guillon, 60 day, elbow surgery. Brodie Pullen, 60 day, elbow surgery. Greg Dombrowksi, 60 day, shoulder surgery. Blaine Howell, inactive, mission.

mace
06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Wow, that's a lot of news, and a lot of surgically repaired pitching talent. Thanks.

camisadelgolf
06-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know if there's a timetable on Chiu coming back?

Benihana
06-24-2009, 10:18 PM
This week: Hildenbrandt on the 60 day DL after should surgery. Others: Lotzkar: 60 day, elbow surgery. Jeff Jeffords, 60 day, elbow surgery. Ismael Guillon, 60 day, elbow surgery. Brodie Pullen, 60 day, elbow surgery. Greg Dombrowksi, 60 day, shoulder surgery. Blaine Howell, inactive, mission.

Any word on when Hildenbrandt (I didn't realize he had surgery?) and Lotzkar will return? So much for Buckley not drafting young pitchers that run into arm troubles. While the infielders (Frazier, Cozart, Soto) from that 2007 draft have been strong, the batteries from that draft have not fared as well (Mesoraco, Lotzkar, Hildenbrandt, etc.)

Also for Guillon- any idea when he gets back on the mound?

Thanks.

redsof72
06-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Don't have specifics on any of those guys. But instructional league at the earliest and in some cases, spring training or later.

Judging a draft is a tricky thing. In Dayton, we are looking at the 08 draft as a weak draft, but if Alonso and Stewart become MLB stars, then it is a great draft even if the other 47 picks never get out of A-ball. But that is a big if. Alonso's situation reminds me a lot of Xavier Nady. Big bat. Had an injury his second year in the minors. Nady got to the big leagues and eventually became a pretty solid player, but he didn't do it from day one as some expected. They were saying the same things about Nady in 2002 as we are saying about Alonso in 2009. That fan that wanted to trade Joey Votto the day the Reds signed Alonso might want to re think that one.

flash
06-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Not really, its just the lowest level of pro baseball in the minor leagues that is played in the US. No one really cares about it because well, its played where they just don't care about baseball. Sure, it would be tough to sell tickets to that level of baseball, but in different areas I bet you could sell some. The league is a whole lot more about just getting experience against other pro's than it is trying to win something.

What you say makes a lot of sense. I still see it as sort of basic training for a baseball team if it is mostly 18 year olds involved. Most of them will be out on their own for the first time in their lives. They have to learn how to make their beds, do their laundry, show up for work on time without a hangover, and of course balance a checkbook. Then on the field issues like not getting made at an umpire. Can't have a 18 year old going off in front of small town America like Billings, Montana So it makes sense to lay down some ground rules for them.

A couple more questions:

Do the players stay in a common dwelling and eat at the same place? Just how much control do the Reds exercise over these young guns?

Benihana
06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Don't have specifics on any of those guys. But instructional league at the earliest and in some cases, spring training or later.

Judging a draft is a tricky thing. In Dayton, we are looking at the 08 draft as a weak draft, but if Alonso and Stewart become MLB stars, then it is a great draft even if the other 47 picks never get out of A-ball. But that is a big if. Alonso's situation reminds me a lot of Xavier Nady. Big bat. Had an injury his second year in the minors. Nady got to the big leagues and eventually became a pretty solid player, but he didn't do it from day one as some expected. They were saying the same things about Nady in 2002 as we are saying about Alonso in 2009. That fan that wanted to trade Joey Votto the day the Reds signed Alonso might want to re think that one.

If Alonso = Nady, does that mean a move to LF could be in his future?

redsof72
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
No, I am not saying that at all. I believe Alonso is limited to first base. My comparison is to the types of comments you hear about his bat. My comment was not really meant to say that they are similar players, just that the things I hear about Alonso remind me of what I was hearing about Nady when Nady was at the same point of his career. They had Nady as a fixture in San Diego before he had his first at-bat above the Single-A level. He did turn out to be a good player, but it took longer than expected, and he has been traded three times.

princeton
06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Ismael Guillon, 60 day, elbow surgery.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=2099

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
NOTES: A rash of injuries in the Cincinnati Reds system required a lot of roster shuffling, allowing Brown and Kuo to move up so early in the season. ... Pfister joined the Mustangs from Dayton, where he batted .214 in 32 games. He's a 17th-round pick from 2008. ... liam Stramp and Derrick Lowery are among the Mustangs battling early injuries. Garcia said Stramp (oblique) and Lowery (hamstring) could be out two weeks or longer.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/06/25/sports/local/18-mustangs.txt