PDA

View Full Version : US Open 2009

Razor Shines
06-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Any one watching the Open right now? I liked seeing David Duval play well this morning, going kinda rough for him right now. It's been pretty enjoyable overall, except for the fact that Chris Berman is covering it. If he says "happy hour" one more time it may be enough to get me to switch over the Reds' game.

MWM
06-19-2009, 10:42 PM
ESPN should never come within 50 miles of a golf course. They cover golf like they do every other sport. They just don't get it.

George Foster
06-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I just appreciate coverage on Thursday and Friday. I would not care if it were TLC covering it. Who has it on the Weekend? NBC?

Highlifeman21
06-20-2009, 09:19 AM
ESPN should never come within 50 miles of a golf course. They cover golf like they do every other sport. They just don't get it.

This morning's been brutal.

I love Scott Van Pelt, can't stand Andy North, but as a whole can we just watch golf, rather than a couple shots here and there followed by 15 mins of babble, then back to a couple golf shots, then more babble?

Just show the players!

MWM
06-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Ya' know, I have distinct memories of really enjoying listening to Johnny Miller cover golf years ago. I could just be misremembering because I can't stand the guy these days. Is this the same guy? He hasn't always been like this, has he? Maybe he's just gone all Marty Brenneman and become generally grump in his older age.

Hoosier Red
06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I think its' the same thing as Marty, he's become known for his "honest" (meaning nasty) commentary, so he starts saying more and more nasty things, and gets more and more commentary on how he's "honest."

Redhook
06-21-2009, 06:24 AM
This US Open has been horrible so far thanks to the weather. I know you can't control mother nature, but she's ruined this tournament. I'm disappointed. More rain today too.

macro
06-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Great to see Kentuckian J.B. Holmes in the top 25 and with a Top 15 finish in reach, especially after his missing five or six cuts in a row.

Newport Red
06-21-2009, 10:07 PM
newsday.com/sports/golf/usopen/ny-libeer2112902396jun20,0,3839123.story
Newsday.com
U.S. Open fans heckle Tiger Woods

BY JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER AND PATRICK WHITTLE

jennifer.kelleher@newsday.com and patrick.whittle@newsday.com

11:13 PM EDT, June 20, 2009
Click here to find out more!

Beer-sodden fans and rain combined for an ugly finish to a long day of golf yesterday, with Tiger Woods and other golfers subjected to drunken heckling as the action at Bethpage Black came to a close.

At 6:42 p.m., dozens of drunken spectators at Hole 10 taunted Woods as he prepared to start his third round in the rain.

"We're on Long Island, baby, where men are men!" one fan yelled. "Put that umbrella down!"

The taunts were mixed with cheers from the majority of the crowd.

Woods did not respond to the people who were heckling him but tried to quiet the crowd with a "sshh" hand gesture, putting his finger to his lips, as golfers prepared to tee off on the adjacent 12th tee.

"Suck it up, you've got your own video game!" someone shouted at Woods.

>>Latest photos of Tiger Woods at the U.S. Open

>> Photos of fans -- and celebrities -- at the U.S. Open

Some fans, apparently disgusted by the hecklers' behavior, walked away from the hole. Others told the vocal contingent to quiet down, which had no effect on the verbal abuse.

Minutes later, a group of fans greeted Fred Funk at the 10th hole by shouting his last name as an obscenity.

A little earlier, drunken fans at the seventh hole shouted at golfers, "This Bud's for you!" On the ninth fairway, drunks called out "you suck" to players while spectators on the other side booed the hecklers.

Concession stands scattered across the course - including the one near the 10th hole - don't start selling beer until 11 a.m., yet a line already had formed in front of the taps between the 16th and 17th holes well before that. But the late- morning scene was peaceful, giving little indication of what would happen later elsewhere on the course.

Many beer-drinkers Saturday at Bethpage Black were there simply to enjoy the scene.

John O'Shea, John McQue and Cronan Ryan sat on a hillside overlooking Hole 17, leaning back on their elbows and taking slow sips of Budweiser.

"We just had to rest a while to get some beer in us," said O'Shea, 22, of Manhattan.

"We just needed to relax," added McQue, 28, of Sunnyside.

- With staff writer Neil Best

Golf hooligans.

MWM
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
This US Open has been horrible so far thanks to the weather. I know you can't control mother nature, but she's ruined this tournament. I'm disappointed. More rain today too.

Had the exact same thought today. This is very disappointing and doesn't at all feel like a major.

And how stupid is golf rules that a player hits a perfect shot down the middle of the fairway and it plugs in the fairway and they have to hit it that way? That makes about as much sense as the ones for signing an incorrect scorecard. The USGA needs a major overhaul of its rulebook.

dsmith421
06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
I think its' the same thing as Marty, he's become known for his "honest" (meaning nasty) commentary, so he starts saying more and more nasty things, and gets more and more commentary on how he's "honest."

The thing that kills me about golf commentary is the hyperbole. Most people who watch golf are well aware that it's a tough game mentally and physically. I don't need to be reminded that Lucas Glover is nervous every four minutes. Furthermore, I hate this "the most important/stressful day of his life" garbage. What if one of these dudes went through a cancer scare, or nearly lost a child?

It's the Curse of Costas, everyone convincing themselves that a dumb game is way more significant than it actually is.

improbus
06-21-2009, 10:22 PM
The thing that kills me about golf commentary is the hyperbole. Most people who watch golf are well aware that it's a tough game mentally and physically. I don't need to be reminded that Lucas Glover is nervous every four minutes. Furthermore, I hate this "the most important/stressful day of his life" garbage. What if one of these dudes went through a cancer scare, or nearly lost a child?

It's the Curse of Costas, everyone convincing themselves that a dumb game is way more significant than it actually is.
These are the same guys who "idolized" Mickey Mantle and call ballparks cathedrals.

Redhook
06-21-2009, 10:22 PM
And how stupid is golf rules that a player hits a perfect shot down the middle of the fairway and it plugs in the fairway and they have to hit it that way? That makes about as much sense as the ones for signing an incorrect scorecard. The USGA needs a major overhaul of its rulebook.

They actually don't play the ball from plugged lies. They get a free drop as near as possible to the plug. It actually is a bonus if your ball plugged because you get to clean it before dropping.

Mudballs are the biggest problem. It's impossible to control the ball when mud is on it. In fact, when a decent amount of mud is on your ball there's almost no chance you can hit the green. Mudballs are very unfair, IMO. You should never get penalized for driving the ball in the fairway.

Back to the tourney. This is one of the weirdest I've ever seen. It's just hard to fathom a bigger disaster. It actually would've been better if it kept raining and pushed the tourney back a week.

I'm not sure who's going to win, but it isn't going to be Ricky "Bobby" Barnes. After his second consecutive "snapper" I don't see it happening. Lucas has a nice lead over the rest of the crew so it's his to lose at this point. Anything around par will give him the championship.

RawOwl UK
06-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I put money on Ross Fisher & Hunter Mahon early yesterday so I may put half day holiday in at work to watch it. (2pm start BST)

Redhook
06-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Ricky Barnes is already faltering. He'll be lucky to make bogey on the 2nd. If Lucas follows suit, this tournament could be very interesting. If the winning score is around 3-4 under it'll be very close with a good probability of a playoff. As of right now, it Lucas Glover's tournament to lose.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Man, I'll be surprised if Ricky ends up at better than 2 or 3 under. Glover seems to have gotten himself together. He's got a fairly easy birdie putt on 6.

I'd like to see this thing get close down the stretch, but no body is playing well right now. Weir just chipped in from off the green, maybe he'll get it going.

DTCromer
06-22-2009, 10:18 AM
This might be the worst final round in US open history. No one wants to win this darn thing.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
And after I talked up Glover and Wier. Glover missed his easy birdie putt and Weir boggied the next hole. I meant to mention Hunter Mahan, but he also just boggied his last hole.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
It's a disaster out there today. The horror, the horror.

Boston Red
06-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Nice putt by Duval. I'd just like to see him get his first top 10 in seven years.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 10:39 AM
If anyone in front of the final group can somehow post a -2, that might just win. Barnes looks mentally shot after those three straight bogeys, and Glover appears to be teetering on the brink.

Mickelson now -1, Tiger and Duval even.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Tiger's about to go to -1.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I said -2 or -3 for Barnes, but that may be too optimistic. He's about to drop another.

Boston Red
06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Barnes will be lucky to shoot 80.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 10:45 AM
The last 10 minutes have been great. Tiger and Duval threatening to make a charge, and Phil's there...just needs to par everything and birdie a par 5. Mike Weir getting it going a bit.

The name value of this thing is improving almost by the hole.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
The pin placement at 14 is just awesome. Kudos to the USGA for giving the players a true risk/reward birdie opportunity on the back nine.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 10:52 AM
The last 10 minutes have been great. Tiger and Duval threatening to make a charge, and Phil's there...just needs to par everything and birdie a par 5. Mike Weir getting it going a bit.

The name value of this thing is improving almost by the hole.

Yeah, I think is going to be a fun finish. Glover in the nasty rough off the tee.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, Phil just put himself in total jail. Staring bogey (or worse) in the face at 10.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, Phil just put himself in total jail. Staring bogey (or worse) in the face at 10.

Wow, how lucky is that lie?

guttle11
06-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Unbelievably lucky. Topped off by a great, great shot.

Wow.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Now the last ten minutes everyone has gone back to sucking. The lead is now -4.

Boston Red
06-22-2009, 11:05 AM
That bogey probably finishes Tiger.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I feel for Barnes the way I did for Jason Gore a few years back. He has the same look in his eye.

Razor Shines
06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Tiger finishes at even. He really gave himself a bunch of chances to post a really low number. He just couldn't make his birdie putts.

Hoosier Red
06-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Phil with an EAGLE, moves into a tie for the lead.
How's he going to blow this one?

texasdave
06-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Birdie and eagle and Phil is tied for the lead. Great story IMO.

texasdave
06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Phil now on a birdie-eagle-birdie streak and (I think) is in the lead at 5-under. That three-hole stretch was, dare I say, Tiger-like.

texasdave
06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Live blog of US Open in case anyone is interested.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2009/06/-live-2009-us-open-coverage-extended-monday-edition.html?eref=sihpT1

Boston Red
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Phil didn't actually birdie the 14th (the blog is wrong). He had par and is at -4. Tied with Glover.

texasdave
06-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Phil didn't actually birdie the 14th (the blog is wrong). He had par and is at -4. Tied with Glover.

ok. i thought the blog knew what it was talking about.

Boston Red
06-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Mickelson hands Glover the lead back with four to play. Who knows?

rotnoid
06-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Duval cannot catch a break today.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh, Duval with a painful lipout for par on 17. Just brutal. He's got to birdie 18 and hope Glover makes a mistake.

Glover up two with a great chance for par on 17. Just hit a good lag and he goes to 18 needing only a par to win.

Hoosier Red
06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Phil's Phinished at -2. Would take a pretty big trainwreck from Glover to give back two strokes.

guttle11
06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
If Duval misses the birdie and Glover hits a decent tee shot, it's ballgame. 18 is just too easy a hole to double bogey from anywhere in play.

Boston Red
06-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Worst case scenario is Barnes birdie and Glover bogey. NO ONE wants to watch those two go at it for another 18 holes.

Hoosier Red
06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
And Glover pars 18th, wins the US Open.

Dramatic but with an anti-climactic ending. That's just the kind of US Open I remember.

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Really wish I could have watched the ending today. Congrats to Glover.

Golf is always a game of what ifs. I mean you have to feel for Ricky Barnes, but that's pressure. Phil was just so up and down and missed so many easy ones. Should have had it. Tiger has to look back at the end of Round 1 and think about what happened. Not sure how many what ifs Duval can replay given that he probably played about as well as he possibly could have. Really hope he can keep it together going foward and be around on Sunday some more.

Hoosier Red
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd be really interested to know what was going on in Barnes' head. He'll probably never admit that he choked, but man I'd love a description of how tight all the muscles get when you're leading the US Open going into the last day.