PDA

View Full Version : Hanigan.....let him play.....

Captain Hook
06-20-2009, 05:13 AM
let him play.....let him play.....let him play.....let him play

I just know that when Votto comes back Hanigan will disappear from the everyday line up.Is there any way that we can get Dusty to not bury one of our best hitters and defensive weapons at the end of the bench?

schmidty622
06-20-2009, 06:35 AM
I agree. I think they could probably package Hernandez and some prospects for something of value. They obviously should not pick up his 2010 option as Hanigan should get most of the starts next year.

Fon Duc Tow
06-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Remember Bruce was a world shaker last season before the rest of the league adjusted to his weaknesses.

Having two good catchers, one of them being able to play 1st Base, is a nice problem to have.

What happens if Hannigan gets injured right after you deal Hernandez?

I thought it was silly when they had 3 mediocre catchers on the roster, but I'm not sure I would deal either of our good catchers at this point unless it was part of a "pie in the sky" great offer.

GIDP
06-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Hanigan has no power but for a team struggling to put the ball in play and reach base you almost have to play him.

2 bad reaching base doesnt really matter much to this manager.

Jack Burton
06-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Isn't Hanigan better on the defensive end than Hernandez?

bigred97
06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
what about playing hernandez at 3rd base when Votto comes back?

GIDP
06-20-2009, 01:19 PM

That sounds like a very bad idea.

Captain Hook
06-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I really just want Hanigan to get a couple of starts a week when Votto gets back.Before Hernandez started playing first he was our everyday catcher.Hanigan was lucky to start a game a week.Dusty just needs to at the very least keep Hanigan in the mix.

CySeymour
06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Remember Bruce was a world shaker last season before the rest of the league adjusted to his weaknesses.

Having two good catchers, one of them being able to play 1st Base, is a nice problem to have.

What happens if Hannigan gets injured right after you deal Hernandez?

I thought it was silly when they had 3 mediocre catchers on the roster, but I'm not sure I would deal either of our good catchers at this point unless it was part of a "pie in the sky" great offer.

Plus they are affordable.

I agree...a good problem to have.

Captain Hook
06-25-2009, 01:36 AM
let him play.....let him play.....let him play.....let him play

I just know that when Votto comes back Hanigan will disappear from the everyday line up.Is there any way that we can get Dusty to not bury one of our best hitters and defensive weapons at the end of the bench?

:cry:

BLEEDS
06-25-2009, 11:48 AM

Why exactly? It's actually a good idea to try.

Rosales can't hit at all, Richar is an unknown other than he's 26 and can't hit in the bigs yet, JHJ has to play SS.

Hernandez may be in a bit of a slump, but he's still better than those guys, and getting Hanigan in the lineup more than makes up for any "downgrade" at 3b D that may occur.

Our "pitching and defense" hasn't worked at all, especially when the defense comes at the cost of trotting out mendoza-flirting bats...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GIDP
06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
JHJ has to play SS....? I dont know why anyone wants him playing SS. Hes barely passable as a 3rd baseman as it already it.

We stuck with Gonzalez being awful at the plate because of defense, yet Dusty wont play Janish because well I can only think of one reason.

Captain Hook
06-26-2009, 12:12 AM
So in the 3 games Votto has been back Hannigan has 0 ABs meanwhile Hernandez is 1-9 hitting and 0-3 throwing out runners.Three games aren't a lot to be taking stats all that seriously but the fact that Hanigan has seen no action in 3 games is saying a lot about what we'll be seeing.At least let him catch Bronson or maybe even Bailey or both every time they go to the mound.I could see Ryan getting a start in Cleveland but 1 start in 6 games is just not enough.

I can't imagine the message that this sends to the rest of the team when you bench one of the very few guys who have hit the ball well and most importantly had good AB after good AB.I guess we reward guys for being vets around here.

Captain Hook
06-26-2009, 12:24 AM
So in the 3 games that Joey has been back Hanigan has had 0 ABs.Meanwhile Hernandez in 1-9 hitting and 0-3 throwing runners out.If you don't like going on 3 games take a look at the last month or 2.I would guess that Hanigan will get a start in Cleveland but 1 start in 6 games is just not enough.

What kind of message does it send when you bench one of the very few guys on the team that has hit the ball well and most importantly had good AB after good AB.I guess we reward guys for being vets around here.:thumbdown

GIDP
06-26-2009, 12:26 AM
It is certainly strange how dusty runs guys out there out of position and struggling while having some not so bad options on the bench.

Captain Hook
06-26-2009, 12:27 AM
That was weird.Sorry about the double post.:dunno:

keeganbrick
06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
He needs to be starting and batting 2nd....right behind Chris Dickerson. But since Willy got a few hits last night I'm sure he earned another week full of starts.

davereds24
06-26-2009, 05:52 PM
He needs to be starting and batting 2nd....right behind Chris Dickerson. But since Willy got a few hits last night I'm sure he earned another week full of starts.

yep

he might start tomorrow to catch bailey but that will be it for awhile.

Kingspoint
06-26-2009, 06:30 PM

Taveras is penciled in for the rest of the season now. He got his monthly quota.

gedred69
06-26-2009, 06:42 PM
As I posted on another thread, Hanigan is a big commodity. I kind of expect Hernandez doing most the duty behind the plate, Miller as the once a week back-up, and Hanigan traded for maybe a front line LF. (Hope I'm wrong).... Or maybe Hernandez gets traded.

GIDP
06-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Hanigan is too old to be viewed as trade bait.

Kingspoint
06-26-2009, 07:14 PM
You shouldn't treat 27 or 28-year old rookies the same as younger ones. They aren't the same. They have the ability to come in right away and contribute. Their maturity makes a huge difference. Baker is failing to recognize this. He's so old he can't tell the difference between someone 27 and someone 23.

Captain Hook
06-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Normally it would be hard to say that Willy T is getting starts over Hanigan.With the DH its happening.Dickerson has gotten playing time and the starts most of us wanted. Most of us also thought that Willy would have to sit for that to happen but Dusty has found ways for him to still get him starts and a lot of ABs by taking ABs away from Hanigan,Gomes and Nix.What a great innovator Baker has become.

corwinator3407
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
tonight's lineup should make everyone on this board happy..

GIDP
06-27-2009, 04:35 PM
tonight's lineup should make everyone on this board happy..

"was it really this hard Dusty"

Captain Hook
06-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Where do you guys find the lineup hours before the game starts?I'm excited to see tonight's unless your being sarcastic.

corwinator3407
06-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Where do you guys find the lineup hours before the game starts?I'm excited to see tonight's unless your being sarcastic.

the Reds twitter. twitter.com/cincinnatireds

Dickerson 8, Hairston Jr. 5, Votto 3, Phillips 4, Nix 7, Gomes DH, Bruce 9, Hanigan 2, Janish 6, Bailey 1

Captain Hook
06-27-2009, 07:10 PM
the Reds twitter. twitter.com/cincinnatireds

Dickerson 8, Hairston Jr. 5, Votto 3, Phillips 4, Nix 7, Gomes DH, Bruce 9, Hanigan 2, Janish 6, Bailey 1

Flip Hanigan and Hairston Jr. and it'd be perfect.I wish this wasn't the first time this week that we're starting our best lineup but I'll take it better late then never.I'll be very surprised if we don't score some runs tonight.