PDA

View Full Version : 6/20/09 Reds vs Pale Hose Civil Rights Game

Pages : 1 [2]

Big Klu
06-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Dickerson swipes 2nd. Playing VERY aggressive tonight on the bases.

I like it. Sure, a runner gets thrown out now and then, but I like turning up the pressure. Force the defense to make a good play. More often than not, they won't.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Phillips grabs his hand. Broken thumb side. Not good.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Inning over, but the way Brandon was grabbing that I wouldn't be surprised if he's done for the game.

Tony Cloninger
06-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Jeepers...i can barely type coherent sentences and you want me to remmeber which way he bats? ;)

Kc61
06-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I think that tonight is on Cueto. Staked to a 5-0 lead, he gives up homers to a couple of judys, and fails to get through even five innings.

Massett allowed three runs on one pitch. They can share the blame.

Hopefully Phillips didn't reinjure his broken finger, he seemed in pain after the last at bat.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Yep. Phillips out. Richar at second.

Big Klu
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Inning over, but the way Brandon was grabbing that I wouldn't be surprised if he's done for the game.

Danny Richar in at 2B.

Big Klu
06-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Hopefully Phillips didn't reinjure his broken finger, he seemed in pain after the last at bat.

True, Masset gets a measure of blame. But Cueto is the ace of this rotation. I expect more out of him.

kaldaniels

Why the hate on Massett tonight...sure, he didn't get the job done but he didn't put the runners on base either. One lousy pitch. All pitchers tonight were bad...no sense singleing any one in particular out, especially Massett.

Kc61
Hopefully Phillips is ok. When Votto comes back, it would be a shame if Phillips is out of the lineup.

kaldaniels
06-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Hopefully Phillips is ok. When Votto comes back, it would be a shame if Phillips is out of the lineup.

I fear waking up to "Sticky: Phillips on DL" tomorrow.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Lead off single, then a pop out to short.

Brutus
06-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I fear waking up to "Sticky: Phillips on DL" tomorrow.

I don't just fear it, I'm essentially expecting it.

Kc61
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Why the hate on Massett tonight...sure, he didn't get the job done but he didn't put the runners on base either. One lousy pitch. All pitchers tonight were bad...no sense singleing any one in particular out, especially Massett.

The game was five all, there were two outs, Dusty lifted Herrera to let Massett face the righty, he throws one pitch and it is out of the park and the Reds trail by three.

Massett didn't have it last time either. He previously was on the DL with an oblique problem, I hope he is ok.

Massett has been a very pleasant surprise this year, but if the Reds are going to pitch him in pressure situations he has to do better than this.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm not going to get on the pitchers tonight. Sometimes the hitters just have it going. Cueto wasn't hitting his spots early on but he settled down and threw well...the Sox just had his number.

kaldaniels
06-20-2009, 11:11 PM
The game was five all, there were two outs, Dusty lifted Herrera to let Massett face the righty, he throws one pitch and it is out of the park and the Reds trail by three.

Massett didn't have it last time either. He previously was on the DL with an oblique problem, I hope he is ok.

Massett has been a very pleasant surprise this year, but if the Reds are going to pitch him in pressure situations he has to do better than this.

Massett failed in his pressure situation...I agree. But if we are dissecting those 3 runs in particular...DRH is ultimately responsible for a good percentage of those 3 runs, however you want to slice it. Again, fail for Massett tonight, but not the sole reason or major reason this game is not looking good.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Burton really getting squeezed here to Laynce's brother Jayson.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Short squibber to Burton to end the inning.

kaldaniels
06-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Burton: 1 ER in last 8+ IP. Walking that ERA back down to sub-5.00. Nice to see.

BCubb2003
06-20-2009, 11:14 PM

And his other brother Dayrel.

Tony Cloninger
06-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Did these fans take oxycodone? There has been no life at the ballpark since about the 6th.

When you have Wise getting a hit on 0-2 ...on a slow breaking ball that he just kind of took a defensive swing on... you know it's not your night.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Bobby Jenks in to try to shut the door. Let's knock the freaking thing off the hinges!

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Nix up sightseeing at the plate. K's looking.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Ramon goes down looking too. Bruce up to try to extend things.

DINGER! :jump:

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Hanigan with a oppo single.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Rosales up as the tying run.

Kc61
06-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Tying run to the plate in Rosales. Down 1-2 in the count.

_Sir_Charles_
06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
K's on a wicked bender. Ballgame.

Oh well. Good game overall. Good game thread guys.

kaldaniels
06-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I've weighed typing this for the last 2 weeks but have delayed doing so just so be sure I wasn't overreacting.

Adam Rosales is not a major-league caliber player. Final answer.

I know there aren't many other options available...but it is painful to watch him step up to the plate.

Big Klu
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I would be surprised if Phillips is in the lineup tomorrow. My guess for tomorrow's lineup (vs. a lefty):

Taveras cf
Hairston 2b
Bruce rf
Gomes lf
Hernandez 1b
Hanigan c
Rosales 3b
Janish ss
Harang p

traderumor
06-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Fortunately, watching the other team tee off on our pitchers is now the exception rather than the rule. I do not miss the days of regularly losing games like this.

traderumor
06-20-2009, 11:29 PM
I've weighed typing this for the last 2 weeks but have delayed doing so just so be sure I wasn't overreacting.

Adam Rosales is not a major-league caliber player. Final answer.

I know there aren't many other options available...but it is painful to watch him step up to the plate.That may be true, but you are drawing a false positive typing this after the Jenks AB. He buckled three guys knees with the curve.

kaldaniels
06-20-2009, 11:33 PM
That may be true, but you are drawing a false positive typing this after the Jenks AB. He buckled three guys knees with the curve.

Questioning my decision-making process aside, do you agree with my statement?

traderumor
06-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Questioning my decision-making process aside, do you agree with my statement?I think Rosales is exactly what he was projected, a potential valuable utility infielder, which is the role he has fallen into. He will have some work to do to be a more effective hitter in that role, but his defense makes him a good candidate.

My comment sprung from the unfairness of stating your conclusion after Jenks made three separate hitters look foolish, so to make a scouting conclusion at that point in time is not fair.

Scrap Irony
06-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Rosales also typically takes a year or so to "find himself" at each level.

At this point, he's well below average.

Next year, he should be an adequate IF back-up with decent bench pop.

HokieRed
06-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Guys take a while to find themselves until they don't. I think it's way too early to make any judgments about Rosales. I think he'll adjust ok, but this may be the level he doesn't.

mth123
06-21-2009, 11:44 AM
IMO opinion Rosales will end up offering cheap utility with the ability to give a good AB with some power off the bench. He'll be a totally replaceable player but will represent an advantage while he's cheap as opposed to going on the market and paying a couple Million for a veteran to do the same thing. Teams like the Reds need to churn guys like him through the system to control costs. For years even guys like Rosales had to be brought in from other organizations, which, IMO, makes him a success as far as the player development in Cincy goes. People think he's horrible because he's not immediately been a force in the line-up at 3B. If all goes right, he may provide a couple Aaron Boone type seasons, but the bench role looks more likely.