PDA

View Full Version : Yankees protest during their loss to the Marlins

cincinnati chili
06-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Interesting. Anybody have any prediction as to how MLB will resolve this? I have no idea.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090621&content_id=5459358&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

VR
06-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Interesting. Anybody have any prediction as to how MLB will resolve this? I have no idea.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090621&content_id=5459358&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Had no impact on the game, did it? Seems like an 'oops', but not sure how they would justify replaying the game from that point, or what purpose that would serve.

KronoRed
06-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Seems like the Marlins lost two players for their mistake and still won, absolutely no need for the game to replayed from that point on.

RedFanAlways1966
06-22-2009, 07:27 AM
No way the protest is upheld. I love to see the Yankees cry though.

Roy Tucker
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
I think the Yankees are just hoping that the ruling made on the field was an improper one (even though it did seem to give them an advantage) and they get to replay the game from that point on since they lost.

The articel says this:

In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Marlins pinch-hit outfielder Alejandro De Aza for pitcher Renyel Pinto, who was batting ninth. When the inning ended, Florida manager Fredi Gonzalez made a double-switch. Reliever Leo Nunez entered the game, and Chris Coghlan remained in left field.

Nunez threw one pitch to Derek Jeter, a called strike. At that point, Yankees manager Joe Girardi brought to the attention of home plate umpire Tim Timmons that Coghlan was supposed to be out of the game, with De Aza in left field.

Which doesn't exactly make sense.

kaldaniels
06-22-2009, 08:37 AM
I think the Yankees are just hoping that the ruling made on the field was an improper one (even though it did seem to give them an advantage) and they get to replay the game from that point on since they lost.

The articel says this:

Which doesn't exactly make sense.

I thought the same thing...I read the article a few times, but I still don't get the jist of the error...was it an error on the lineup card or an error on who got sent out to the field?

BCubb2003
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
It looks like the manager told the umps he was making a double switch, but the previous outfielder Coghlan went back onto the field, so he and the new pitcher had the same spot in the lineup. Once they got Coghlan out of there, the double switch took place as intended. I suppose the Yankees are saying the remedy was insufficient, but that's pretty weak.

Billy Martin would have waited until Coghlan hit the game-winning home run.

cumberlandreds
06-22-2009, 09:18 AM
If Giardi had waited for the hitter to complete his AB he would have had a better chance at winning a protest.