PDA

View Full Version : Votto activated Castillo to DL

Homer Bailey
06-22-2009, 07:13 PM
WLW just reported that Channel 5 that Joey is on a flight to Toronto!

Take that for what its worth!

Homer Bailey
06-22-2009, 07:17 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/sports/19826592/detail.html

Votto Accompanies Reds On Flight To Toronto
First Baseman Not Yet Reinstated From Disabled List
George Vogel // E-mail
POSTED: 5:23 pm EDT June 22, 2009
UPDATED: 6:00 pm EDT June 22, 2009

CINCINNATI -- First baseman Joey Votto flew on the Reds' team charter flight Monday afternoon to Toronto.

The Reds have not announced Votto's return to the roster, but the Toronto-area native declared himself fit to play major league baseball Sunday after a minor league rehabilitation game.

The Reds open a three-game interleague series Tuesday night against the Blue Jays.

After playing two games over the weekend with the Class-A Dayton Dragons, Votto said he would talk about his situation with Reds management.

At that time he said the Reds would decide if he would rejoin the club or continue a rehab assignment in the minor leagues.

WDTN-TV

Votto drove in a run with a single on Sunday, and scored from second base on a double. Saturday night he had a single, a two-run homer, and stole a base.

But more importantly to Votto, he made it through the full nine innings in both games.

He went on the disabled list May 30 with what the Reds called stress-related issues.

reds44
06-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh hell yes!!!

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Awesome.

kbrake
06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Very good to hear.

RedEye
06-22-2009, 07:30 PM
This team is so much more interesting to watch when he's playing. Great news. Congrats to Votto on his recovery.

HeatherC1212
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
:jump:

GAC
06-22-2009, 08:41 PM
It's fantastic news, and my prayers will continue to go out for Votto. And I hate to be a "wet blanket", but I hope that those professionals, whoever they are, that are helping Joey with his personal "situation", a situation that appears to be emotionally-related, meaning it may be something that he may struggle with for the rest of his life and on-going, aren't rushing the guy back for the sake of playing baseball.

Playing a couple of games at Dayton is far, far removed from the big leagues, as far as pressure and such.

Again - his over-all health is far, far more important at this stage of the game then anything else.

SandyD
06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm cautiously excited.

Tony Cloninger
06-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I am cautiously optimistic.

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Votto in Toronto?
Posted by JohnFay at 6/22/2009 7:14 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

I've been waiting for a call back from Walt Jocketty all day. Haven't heard. But there's a pretty good chance Joey Votto is going to play tomorrow in Toronto. Votto is not in the lineup for any of the Reds' minor league teams. And a "Joey Votto" is registered at the team hotel in the Toronto.

Votto told Paul Daugherty yesterday that he was ready to go. I'll update if Jocketty gets back to me.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a9efc50b0-5850-4649-8c17-918e1228c82f&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

reds44
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
So who goes down? Rosales, Castillo, or Richar?

_Sir_Charles_
06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
So who goes down? Rosales, Castillo, or Richar?

I would think Castillo. With Phillips still hurting, Richar can play 2nd. And with Edwin still out Rosales can back up 3rd. Votto coming back means we're back to 2 catchers...Castillo is redundant.

RedFanAlways1966
06-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Good to hear. For the team and for Joey Votto. I hope it works out for both. :thumbup:

Blitz Dorsey
06-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Personally, I don't think it's so he can see the CN Tower. ;-)

Go Joey! Good to have you back.

Caveat Emperor
06-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I hope Votto is ready -- as someone aptly noted, playing in a minor league game is light years different than playing in a major league game when it comes to the mental aspect of things. Plus, the clubhouse environment will be decidedly different, I imagine.

I sincerely hope everyone in the Reds clubhouse is supportive of Joey and the issues he has been dealing with. More than anything else, I imagine his teammates will need to help him get through these first few games back.

It's good to have Joey back, though. Let's get this thing kicked in gear and win some baseball games!

Blitz Dorsey
06-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I hope Votto is ready -- as someone aptly noted, playing in a minor league game is light years different than playing in a major league game when it comes to the mental aspect of things. Plus, the clubhouse environment will be decidedly different, I imagine.

I sincerely hope everyone in the Reds clubhouse is supportive of Joey and the issues he has been dealing with. More than anything else, I imagine his teammates will need to help him get through these first few games back.

It's good to have Joey back, though. Let's get this thing kicked in gear and win some baseball games!

I wonder if we'll ever find out what Joey was/is going through. Not that we have a right to know, I'm just curious if it will come out. It only should if Joey wants it to IMO.

Degenerate39
06-22-2009, 11:59 PM

I believe the club house will be pretty supportive of Joey. With the exception of one or two (IMO Phillips).

Blitz Dorsey
06-23-2009, 12:01 AM
I believe the club house will be pretty supportive of Joey. With the exception of one or two (IMO Phillips).

Ahh, BP will probably give him a big man hug when he sees him. C'mon now.

Hoosier Red
06-23-2009, 12:16 AM

Oh good lord, Phillips may or may not have shown frustration when answering a question about him. Can we at least have something more to go before deciding that Phillips is anything but supportive?

As I said when this mole hill came up before, if in fact Phillips was frustrated and refused to throw Joey under the bus then, people should have more respect for him.

Back off that tangent, best wishes to Joey. Godspeed and hopefully you're all better now.

Degenerate39
06-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Oh good lord, Phillips may or may not have shown frustration when answering a question about him. Can we at least have something more to go before deciding that Phillips is anything but supportive?

As I said when this mole hill came up before, if in fact Phillips was frustrated and refused to throw Joey under the bus then, people should have more respect for him.

Back off that tangent, best wishes to Joey. Godspeed and hopefully you're all better now.

I wasn't basing it off that. It's just my opinion

traderumor
06-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I honestly don't know why Votto would be treated any differently than any other player coming off the DL with an injury. I think people are starting to understand that a person can be unable to perform their duties for things other than a physical problem.

VR
06-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Hopefully this is a good boost for the fans as well. The offense has been blah, meh, bleh since Joey has been gone....and the pitching staff isn't able to carry the load any longer.

Would certainly be nice to see how this team could perform with a healthy EE, JV, EV, and AG.

Tom Servo
06-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Just wait for the Swerve of the announcement of a trade with the Blue Jays. :evil:

REDREAD
06-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Just wait for the Swerve of the announcement of a trade with the Blue Jays. :evil:

:lol: Man, you are cruel.

Pleasant surprise to get Votto back this soon. Hope he's really ready.

WebScorpion
06-23-2009, 03:02 AM

Yeah, Arroyo straight up for Scutaro! :thumbup: ;)

Ron Madden
06-23-2009, 04:04 AM
We are all Reds Fans here and I believe Joeys heath is our main concern. With that said....

This Is Good News!!!:thumbup:

I(heart)Freel
06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Assuming the trip goes well for Joey (ie his continuing health) should we start planning the city-wide "Welcome Home Votto" night at the ballyard on June 30?

Think it would be nice to show him some love when he returns. Without a push, it could be 14,000 hardy souls and a whole bunch of empty seats to greet his return. Which would be... ya know... kinda depressing.

westofyou
06-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Without a push, it could be 14,000 hardy souls and a whole bunch of empty seats to greet his return. Which would be... ya know... kinda depressing.

If the Reds have to "push" to get 14K to the park in summer on a team around .500 then I'd say they have a bigger hill to climb than making Votto feel good about being back.

Chip R
06-23-2009, 10:49 AM

Well, he was playing in front of sold out crowds in Dayton. ;)

Screwball
06-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I honestly think Votto's one of those rare souls who can step in and play Major League baseball with the littlest bit of warm-up. I expect him to have the same great plate discipline, and the same great approach that has allowed him to post such gaudy pre-DL numbers (.357/.464/.627/1.091). He'll probly foul back a couple he'd normally smoke, but he'll get his -- Joey Votto was born to hit.

I(heart)Freel
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
If the Reds have to "push" to get 14K to the park in summer on a team around .500 then I'd say they have a bigger hill to climb than making Votto feel good about being back.

True... but I would be organizing this for Votto, not for the Reds' business interests.

HeatherC1212
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I honestly think Votto's one of those rare souls who can step in and play Major League baseball with the littlest bit of warm-up. I expect him to have the same great plate discipline, and the same great approach that has allowed him to post such gaudy pre-DL numbers (.357/.464/.627/1.091). He'll probly foul back a couple he'd normally smoke, but he'll get his -- Joey Votto was born to hit.

ITA. I think he's going to be all right if he feels that he's over whatever put him on the DL in the first place and at this point, only he knows how he's feeling overall and it sounds like he's feeling more like himself again.

BTW-Should we nickname him The Boss now? Instead of being 'born to run', he was born to hit, LOL :p: :thumbup:

OldXOhio
06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
BTW-Should we nickname him The Boss now? Instead of being 'born to run', he was born to hit, LOL :p: :thumbup:

That would make him George Brett, which is just fine by me.

HeatherC1212
06-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Latest from Fay: Joey Votto Update... (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3afe76e3f4-d371-4ea4-970e-fe8add89d727&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)

Beautiful day here on the shores of Lake Ontario.

The Reds still haven't announced that Joey Votto will be activated for tonight's game. But they did say he'll meet with the media in the visitor's dugout at 4 p.m. My guess is it's not to discuss the strike by the city workers here. Whether Votto will discuss the reason he was on the disabled list is anyone's guess. He's a pretty big deal here in his hometown. The fact that he made the trip and was expected to play is on the news channel's crawl.

My question to you: What do you expect from Votto when he returns to the field? I think some of expecting an Albert Pujols boost. I don't think they'll get that. Votto's good. But he's not Pujols. I think Votto will be close to what he was before he went on the DL. That would be a big boost. The Reds simply don't have another hitter like him. He works the count, takes his walks and is a tough out nearly every at-bat.

dougdirt
06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
According to CTrent - Votto off DL. Castillo to DL with torn labrum in his shoulder.

Brutus
06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Yep, just tweeted by the Reds. Votto is back.

RichRed
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Excellent. Hope he's feeling good and rarin' to go.

VR
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
According to CTrent - Votto off DL. Castillo to DL with torn labrum in his shoulder.

Domo Arigato

nate
06-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Torn labrum doesn't sound like the sort of thing they make up to simply juggle guys around.

reds44
06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
:beerme:

cumberlandreds
06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
I hope Votto is ready to go. if he can't make it through nine innings in a game the next few days he may go back on the DL for a long time. Here's hoping for the best. :beerme:

Cedric
06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Castillo really messed up his arm Saturday night. After he slid into second after his hit, you could see him grimacing for awhile.

traderumor
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Castillo really messed up his arm Saturday night. After he slid into second after his hit, you could see him grimacing for awhile.Fringe player with torn labrum isn't good for a career.

RedsMan3203
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Joey Votto is back... Back in Red... He has been gone for way to long.... But now he is back... He gonna let loose, from the plate...

Ahh I give up...

But he is BACK!

Chip R
06-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Fringe player with torn labrum isn't good for a career.

Especially if you're a catcher.

traderumor
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Especially if you're a catcher.True. Wanna start a debate about if Castillo qualifies as a catcher? :evil:

Chip R
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
True. Wanna start a debate about if Castillo qualifies as a catcher? :evil:

Well, technically he's a catcher much like Hernandez is technically a 1B.

You know, these 1B and 3B problems could have been solved if the Reds hadn't released a certain mustachioed C/1B/3B. :pimp:

CrackerJack
06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
I wasn't basing it off that. It's just my opinion

I don't understand the reasoning behind your opinion (Phillips not "being supportive" of Votto).

Why would you assume and/or think that?

CrackerJack
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Latest from Fay: Joey Votto Update... (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3afe76e3f4-d371-4ea4-970e-fe8add89d727&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com)

From the Toronto Sun article:

Votto missed five games and left two others while feeling dizzy during mid-May because of an inner-ear infection. Votto said: "They got that (inner-ear) thing solved."

He has not as yet discussed the current reason for being inactive.

"Sometime in the near future I'll make a statement," Votto said.

Big Klu
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Torn labrum doesn't sound like the sort of thing they make up to simply juggle guys around.

There's no need to juggle Castillo. The Reds could simply send him back to Louisville, since his option for this season has already been used. This injury is legit.

Castillo really messed up his arm Saturday night. After he slid into second after his hit, you could see him grimacing for awhile.

I noticed that as well. Castillo looked hurt out there.

LoganBuck
06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Question on Castillo, because he tore up his shoulder he must go on the DL for the rest of the year, presumably the 60 day? If that is so how would that work this winter? Can they designate him for assignment to get him off the 40 man? I assume he would clear waivers, and they would outright him to Louisville. How does that injury affect him?

Big Klu
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Question on Castillo, because he tore up his shoulder he must go on the DL for the rest of the year, presumably the 60 day? If that is so how would that work this winter? Can they designate him for assignment to get him off the 40 man? I assume he would clear waivers, and they would outright him to Louisville. How does that injury affect him?

Castillo will probably start out on the 15-day DL, but he can be transferred to the 60-day DL, especially if he is going to be sidelined for an extensive length of time (which seems likely). That will probably be the move the Reds make to clear a spot on the 40-man roster to make room for Edwin Encarnacion when he is activated from the 60-day DL. If I'm not mistaken, after the season all players on the disabled list are activated, and they must either be placed on the 40-man roster, designated for assignment, outrighted to the minors, or released.

HeatherC1212
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Here's the link to the Toronto Sun article from a post in the Sun Deck (thanks for posting it!): http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/bob_elliott/2009/06/23/9894881-sun.html

While the Reds' visit has been circled by Votto's former Etobicoke Rangers teammates since the schedule came out, for Votto's younger brothers Tyler, 20, and nine-year-old twins Ryan and Paul, they weren't looking forward to a chance to see him play.

"They just want to see me," Votto said. "Since my father just passed (in August, 2008), I have to do a better job. My youngest brothers have been to Cincinnati and to Chicago to see me. I'd like to spend more time with them.

"I might arrange for them to fly on their own. They are such young guys and our clubhouse is such a good place for young kids to hang out. Our team has about five kids, some are about the same age, running around all the time."

That has to be hard to be the oldest brother in a family after losing your dad. I hope his family enjoys Joey's visit home this week.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Votto in the lineup and hitting 3rd. Tavaras still finds his way onto the baseball field somehow. As expected, Owings not hitting. Gotta love players managers!

BRM
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Joey is at 1B too. I wonder if Dusty plans to use him at DH at all this series. Doesn't matter to me as long as he's in the lineup somewhere though.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
LOL Dickerson is hitting 9th and Taveras 1st.

Chip R
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
We have a game thread for these discussions, folks.

reds44
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
We have a game thread for these discussions, folks.
Well, no we don't. Not yet at least.

Chip R
06-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, no we don't. Not yet at least.

Yes, we do. You just can't post in it yet.

Big Klu
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
As expected, Owings not hitting.

The Reds cannot afford to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage by not using the DH. Sure, Owings can handle the bat just fine, but once he is out of the game, the Reds would be "a man short", so to speak. Too bad the MLB rules are different from the college rules, where a starting pitcher can also be listed as the DH--if he is relieved on the mound, he is still in the lineup as the DH.

dfs
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
yeah...that's a surprise.

JaxRed
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Sounds like the 60 Day replacment for EE

Danny Serafini
06-23-2009, 04:35 PM
According to the team press notes Castillo is done for the season.

Root Down
06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
I hear there is a press conference at 4pm, anyone have any clue if that will be on WLW?

Chip R
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
According to the team press notes Castillo is done for the season.

Too bad for him but at least he gets paid the MLB minimum and accrues MLB service time.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
The Reds cannot afford to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage by not using the DH. Sure, Owings can handle the bat just fine, but once he is out of the game, the Reds would be "a man short", so to speak. Too bad the MLB rules are different from the college rules, where a starting pitcher can also be listed as the DH--if he is relieved on the mound, he is still in the lineup as the DH.

I guess having Taveras in the lineup is already like having a pitcher in the lineup, so I get your point.

I(heart)Freel
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I hear there is a press conference at 4pm, anyone have any clue if that will be on WLW?

Eddie/Tracy just said they'll have sound from the presser. But not live.

Bummer.

If anyone knows where to peek in, let us know?

Benihana
06-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Any word on this? Is Votto going to reveal the nature of his "stress-related issues?"

Chip R
06-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Any word on this? Is Votto going to reveal the nature of his "stress-related issues?"

I bet he blames Bob Boone.

Benihana
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Per Fay it was regarding his grief over his father's death. I feel for the guy.

traderumor
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Any word on this? Is Votto going to reveal the nature of his "stress-related issues?"I think you have to buy Weekly World News to get the real story. It is right after the "Bat Boy found in cave" story, which is not a baseball story, btw ;)

11larkin11
06-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Per Fay it was regarding his grief over his father's death. I feel for the guy.

Thats what I've been thinking this whole time. Thats what I have told my non-Reds fans about why he was on the DL when they ask.

reds44
06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
It's just strange because it didn't effect him on the field at all. He probably was playing the best of his career.

RichRed
06-23-2009, 05:40 PM
It's just strange because it didn't effect him on the field at all. He probably was playing the best of his career.

That's how it goes sometimes. Work provides a release.

HeatherC1212
06-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Thats what I've been thinking this whole time. Thats what I have told my non-Reds fans about why he was on the DL when they ask.

I actually wondered the same thing in the early stages of this whole situation, especially after the flu got him down pretty good and then the inner ear infection came along after that. I think when you suddenly have so many things preventing you from doing what you love to do, it lets your mind work a little too much and with the first Father's Day coming up without his dad, I really wondered if that was weighing him down somehow during his sick time. I hope he's found some peace now and I'm pulling for him to get through everything.

Reds Fanatic
06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
A couple of updates from Fay's twitter account. Hopefully Joey is ok from here on.

Votto: I couldn't take it, thought I was going to die. #reds
40 minutes ago from Twittelator

Votto says father's death led to severe depession, panic attacks, hospital visits. #reds

HeatherC1212
06-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Fay will be updating his blog with more information but here's what he's written at this point: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a82647a75-656a-4da6-b9ae-587628661d07&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Joey Votto said his father's death in August led to depression, severe anxiety attacks.

Votto said he suppressed his feelings for the rest of the 2008 season.

"I was severely depressed in offseason," he said.

Baseball was a refuge. He was dealing with things pretty well until he got sick in May. He said Milwaukee was the worst of the three on-field incidents. "I was totally overwhelmed," he said.

He had one more bad incident while on the DL in early June. He ended up calling 911 at 3 or 4 in morning and going to the hospital. "I could not take it," he said. "I thought I was going to die."

I'm going to transcribe the tape now. What he said was pretty powerful. I'll post of all of it when I get it done.

(((Joey))) :(

Roy Tucker
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
(((Joey))) :(

Ditto. Poor guy. That's a rough go. Grief can chew you up bad.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Wow. That really worries me about Joey, and not just in a baseball sense. Sounds like he has some serious issues going on and I hope is finding a way to work through them. I know he's saying he's ready to play, but he called 911 this month because he felt like he was dying? I feel like the guy could use some more time off.

Granted, thats my opinion after reading 2 paragraphs about his situation, but I hope he's not feeling pressure from his teammates/organization/fanbase to play, especially if he's not ready. However, he says he's ready, so lets hope so. Good lucky Joey.

smith288
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow. I had no idea. Seeing him being helped off the field has a completely different meaning. He must have been just overcome with grief and pain. Or dizzy from his ear infection.

Here's to you Joey! Your dad is no doubt proud and looking fondly at your accomplishments and your future successes!

VR
06-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Not sure how you can't admire Joey Votto.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Votto: It all relates to his father’s death
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 04:35 PM

It was all about his father — nothing more, nothing less.

During an amazing 15 minutes of candid monologue, Joey Votto told the media today how he bottled up his feelings about his dad’s death last August: “Put it on the back burner and played baseball” is how he put it.

But it all come bursting out this season, to the point where Votto said he thought he might die on the field in Milwaukee and to the point where he couldn’t make it through the night by himself and dialed 911 to take him to the hospital.

Votto took a bereavement leave of absence after his father, Joseph, died at age 52 — “The guy who listened to every Reds game, the guy who taught me the game, the guy who played catch with me every day.”

After the bereavement, Votto came back to the Reds and he said today, “The first day back I put it all on the back burner and just played baseball from August all the way to the end of September. I don’t want to use the word suppress, because he was in my thoughts and I was dealing with it daily, but as powerful a moment as it was to lose your father when he was so young, nevertheless, I did suppress it.

“From the end of the season until the beginning of spring training, I was severely depressed, dealing with the anxieties of sadness and fear and every emotion anybody goes through. I had a really difficult time with it. I was by myself in Florida and when baseball started back up in February I did the same thing I did last August — threw all my emotions aside and just played baseball again.”

Then came the inner ear infection. No baseball. More time to think.

“Taking the time away from baseball and recovering from being sick was the first time all my emotions that I had been pushing to the side, that I had been struggling with in the winter, nailed me and hit me, a hundred times more than I had been dealing with in the off-season,” he said.

“I came out of three separate games,” he said. “The first one (in Arizona) was a combination of me being ill, but I could tell something was going on because I couldn’t recover. I had this feeling of anxiety in my chest.

“Then the second time I came out (in San Diego) and it was similar, but the third time was in Milwaukee and I was just totally overwhelmed. Doctors told me I was dealing with being depressed with anxiety and panic attacks.

“It was overwhelming me where I had to go to the hosiptial on two occasions, once in San Diego,” he said. “Nobody was told about it, but I went to the hospital when the team was on the road (Milwaukee-St. Louis) but it was a very, very scary and crazy night. I had to call 911 at 3 or 4 in the morning — probably the scariest moment I’ve ever dealt with in my life.

“The days I was taken off the field were miniature versions of what I was dealing with by myself. Ever since late May I have been struggling with this in my private life. I’d go on the field and try to play well, but I couldn’t do it any more because I was overwhelmed physically with the stuff I was dealing with off the field finally seeped its way onto the field and I finally just had to put an end to it. I really couldn’t go out there. I physically couldn’t do my job.”

Vott has seen some doctors and is confident he is ready to return to the field and be productive. Speaking to people and letting them know what I’ve been dealing with, how difficult this grieving process has been, has helped.

Votto talked the his Reds teammates last week and talked a couple of times with manager Dusty Baker in the last week.

“I’m the oldest of four brothers and I feel I’m the head of the family,” he said. “Maybe I have a proclivity for anxiety and depression, whatever it is, but I was dealt with some unusual circumstances — the combination of being a major-league ballplayer, a young ball player, and also dealing with my father and my family.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/23/it_was_all_about_his.html

I have a ton of respect for Joey. I hope he gets a huge standing ovation when the Reds return home.

Caseyfan21
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Sounds like returning to Toronto for this week was one of the best thing he could do for himself. Hopefully he can get things sorted out and get completely healthy.

RFS62
06-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Wow. What a story.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 06:31 PM
The Reds had an OBP of .295 while Votto was on the DL.

smith288
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I dont know how he could do it. I just imagine between pitches he was thinking about his dad not being able to listen to his at bat. And he STILL managed to succeed wildly.

I know you can never fully recover but hope he finds peace and is able to get back to what he loves doing best.

Raisor
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow. That really worries me about Joey, and not just in a baseball sense. Sounds like he has some serious issues going on and I hope is finding a way to work through them. I know he's saying he's ready to play, but he called 911 this month because he felt like he was dying? .

This exact thing happened to me a few months ago. Had such a panic attack I called 911. Thought I was going to die. If Votto was suffering as muc as I was, or even more, I really feel for him. Hope he's not coming back too soon.

Az Red
06-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Joey, If there is anyone who passes this to you, know that there are a whole nation of Reds fans praying and pulling for you. It is great to have you as part of the team we root for every day. Every victory, on the field and off, is dear to us. We look forward to celebrating your victory over this depression and will be standing by you with every swing.

reds44
06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Reading the Votto story seriously made my eyes water. I can't even begin to imagine what he went through. I'm not sure if this will even make sense, but Joey seems like such a well educated, well spoken, and level headed guy that it just makes me feel that much worse for him. It's not like he was a loose cannon who I could see something like this coming from. I just feel awful for him, and have that much more respect for him.

redsfandan
06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
It can be easy to forget that baseball is still just a game. Taking care of self and family should always be top priority. That Joey was so candid about what he dealt with just shows that he's someone that teammates, and people in general, can look up to. Right now probably isn't the best time but he'd have my vote for team captain.

edit: By the way, I'll be looking forward to the reaction of the home crowd to Joey when the Reds are back in Cincy.

reds44
06-23-2009, 07:05 PM
More from Fay:

On the irony of it: “I’m so lucky to be able to do what I do for a living. That was probably the thing that drove me crazy. Like I said (baseball) was my refuge. (For the illness) to take being able to do that away from me was the thing I had the most difficult time with. I can’t explain how hard it was to watch the games, feeling I should be on the field with my guys, doing my job, instead of laying on the couch, or whatever I was doing.”

Does he think he'll be OK? “Today is going to be a test. I’m not going to get ahead of myself and say everything will be perfect, but I think I’ll be fine.”

On his success through the hard times: “I think I’m pretty good player first of all,” he said. “Baseball was my refuge. I came on the field, did my job and focused on that. Then I went home and was miserable. That was pretty much my routine everyday.”

reds44
06-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Here's some from Mark Sheldon, some of it is a repeat, but there's some new info as well.

Joey Votto pretty much laid it all on the table and explained the stress related issue that put him on the disabled list. His 52-year-old father, Joseph, died suddenly in August and that grief came to the surface this year. Here are some snippets of what he said.

"The first day back, I put that all on the back burner and just played baseball until the end of Septmeber. He was in my thoughts and I was dealing with it on a daily basis but as powerful a moment that was to lose your father so young, in a way, I did suppress it. From the beginning of the off-season until Spring Training, I was pretty severely depressed and dealing with the anxieties of grief, sadness and fear and every single emotion you can imagine everyone goes through. I habd a really difficult time with it. I was by myself down in Florida. I just was really looking forward to baseball. And when baseball started back up in February, I kind of did the same thing I did last August and threw it all on the side, threw all of my emotions on the backburner and just played baseball again."

"I got sick in May. I had the upper respiratory thing. I had an ear infection. It was taking the time away from baseball and recovering from being sick was when the first time all my emotions I hads been pushing to the side, that I had been dealing with and really struggling with on a daily basis in the winter, they all hit me. And they hit me 100 times harder than I had been dealing with all off-season."

Votto admitted that anxiety/panic attacks prompted him to seek medical help twice -- once in San Diego and once in Cincinnati.

"I went to the hospital in Cincinnati when the team was on the road. It was a very, very scary and crazy night where I had to call 911 at three or four in the morning. It was probably the scariest moment I ever had dealt with in my life and I went to the hospital that night."

"There were nights that I couldn't be alone. The one night I was alone - the very first night I was alone - was when I went to the hospital. I couldn't take it. It just got to the point where I felt I was going to die, really."

On how the Reds handled his issue:

"Every single person in the Reds organization has done everything more than I could have asked for. They surprised me with how supportive they are in general."

On coming back to play in his hometown of Toronto?

"Honestly, we could play in Timbuktu for all I care, just as long as I'm playing all nine innings and contributing. There's nothing like health. I look forward to feeling healthy on a consistent basis."

When did he know he was ready to play again?

"I was having such a difficult time getting through the night that once I felt like I could get through two or three nights of sleep without having the phone besides me and worrying about having to call the hospital, I felt like I could start playing ball again."

How was Votto able to be successful this season on the field going through this?

"I think I'm a pretty good player, first of all. Baseball was my refuge. When I came on the field, I did my job, and did the best I could and focused on that. Then I went home and I was miserable. That was pretty much my routine every day."

Is he worried about the stigma of stress disorders?

"I've been lumped into the Khalil Greene, Dontrelle Willis, Zach Greinke category. I'm not saying one way or the other about those guys because I don't know what they're dealing with. But I do know I've had a real struggle with my father's passing. It's really something I've had a real hard time with. It was my biggest hesitation coming out and letting people know, letting my teammates know. We're supposed to be known as mentally tough and able to withstand any type of adversity. This is real life [stuff]. I couldn't take it. I think a lot of people deal with this."

On his relationship with his father in terms of baseball?

"He was a very important person. He would watch every single Reds game. He was the first one to teach me how to play baseball. I played catch with him on a daily basis when I was really young. He was a big fan. He was just in love with what I did and me. He was a great father to me."

On being taken out of games in Arizona, San Diego and Milwaukee:

"I literally couldn't stand up. The way you saw me in Arizona where Dusty had to walk me off was similar to the two other occurrences in Milwaukee and San Diego. Although Arizona was a pretty rough time, Milwaukee was by far the worst. I thought I was going to go crazy."

guttle11
06-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Reading that...words can't describe how good at hitting he truly is. IIRC, he homered in his first AB of the game in San Diego where he had to leave. I mean, it's very possible that he homered in the big leagues while in the midst of a panic attack. That's mind-boggling.

Votto's words certainly are powerful. I'm so happy he looks to be on the path to full health. He didn't have to talk about it so candidly, but he did. He's a stand up, and all around great guy. Reds fans are here to support you, Joey.

reds44
06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Two things:

1. Situations like this is why players love Dusty, this is when he is at his best. I would hope most human beings would give Joey as much time as he needs in a situation like this, but there's not one manager in the majors I'd put above Dusty in handling a situation like this.

2. Not that it means anything, but Joey is now by far my favorite Red.

lollipopcurve
06-23-2009, 07:14 PM
If I lived in Cincinnati I for damn sure would be at the next home game to give him a standing ovation.

Ltlabner
06-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Wow. Joey was more forthcoming than he needed to be. I hope that the lunkheads who think he's just being "lazy" or "weak" won't pounce on his comments.

I also must praise Teh Dusty here. Frankly, he and the Reds have handled this situation very well, at least based on the information we have available. While I don't like many of the things he does, I'm glad he was here to manage this situation rather than a neanderthal manager who would tell Joey to walk it off and then bench him.

I really hope Joey finds the space to deal with his issues and get himself healthy.

nate
06-23-2009, 07:18 PM
After reading all this, all I can say is how impressed I am with Joey Votto's character and straightforwardness. I'm also impressed by the way the Reds handled the situation.

lollipopcurve
06-23-2009, 07:25 PM
For those who have never had a panic attack -- I've had two, in a relatively short period of time -- it is no joke. You think you're having a heart attack, you sweat, you shake -- all kinds of weird stuff that come with absolutely no warning. This was not something Votto could control. He was simply overloaded. Now that he's talking about it and getting help I think he's got a great chance of putting it behind him. But it's also quite possible that it could continue to disrupt his life -- he's just got to stay mindful of his vulnerability and of what he needs to do to manage stress, problems, emotions in a healthy way.

redsfandan
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
On how the Reds handled his issue:

"Every single person in the Reds organization has done everything more than I could have asked for. They surprised me with how supportive they are in general."
Great to hear this.

Is he worried about the stigma of stress disorders?

"I've been lumped into the Khalil Greene, Dontrelle Willis, Zach Greinke category. I'm not saying one way or the other about those guys because I don't know what they're dealing with. But I do know I've had a real struggle with my father's passing. It's really something I've had a real hard time with. It was my biggest hesitation coming out and letting people know, letting my teammates know. We're supposed to be known as mentally tough and able to withstand any type of adversity. This is real life [stuff]. I couldn't take it. I think a lot of people deal with this."
I agree. Hopefully it can make people at least a little more tolerant, understanding, and accepting about these types of situations. The hell with the stigma, let's just play some ball.

Super_Barry11
06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I can't really say anything else that hasn't been said already, but I wanted to add my admiration for Joey to this thread. It takes incredible strength and courage to battle what he has been going through and then come out publically with the details. For men in this society especially, grief is "supposed" to be kept under wraps and "worked through" quickly, easily, and privately. Anyone who has lost a loved one knows that this is not a natural occurrence, and I really hope that Joey continues to receive the help and support that he needs and deserves from everyone around him. I'm doing my doctoral dissertation on grief and male athletes, so I'm starting to understand the tremendous pressures and stressors that Joey has been experiencing, and I can't say enough how proud I am of his hard work and perseverance. He is truly a special individual, and my thoughts and prayers are with him all the way.

Big Klu
06-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Do you still feel this way, even after the information that is beginning to surface?

BuckeyeRedleg
06-23-2009, 08:18 PM
What a well-spoken and articulate young man. Not to mention, brave. Hard to not cheer for someone like Joey Votto.

Raisor
06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Hard not to cheer for someone like Joey Votto.

The only problem with his is he doesn't say "eh" enough.

You're either Canadian, or your aren't.

Make up your mind.

Scrap Irony
06-23-2009, 08:25 PM
He doesn't drink enough Molson either.

And he thinks Strange Brew is okay, but likes Little Shop of Horrors better.

Raisor
06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey..

I'm not a lumberjack, or a furtrader,
and I don't live in an igloo, eat blubber, or own a dogsled,
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally, or Susie from Canada,
although I'm sure they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, not American,
and I pronounce it about, not aboot
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack;
I believe in peacekeeping, not policing;
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal

a tuque is a hat,
a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed!

Canada is the second largest land-mass,
the first nation of hockey,
and the best part of North America!

MY NAME IS JOE(y Votto), AND I AM CANADIAN!

Thank you.

Scrap Irony
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Is that sung to the tune of My Name Is Luka?

Chip R
06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
He doesn't drink enough Molson either.

And he thinks Strange Brew is okay, but likes Little Shop of Horrors better.

Should have been wearing a toque during the interview.

Blitz Dorsey
06-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow, I hope a lot of Reds fans got to see the entire Votto interview with George Grande. I really credit Votto for coming clean like this and letting everyone know what was going on. I really feel for him and I hope he is getting the medication he needs. What an impressive young man he is on and off the field. The things he is dealing with are not his fault and I'm glad he's received professional help. He really seems at peace with it and like he said "Talking about it has been the biggest help for me -- letting people know. A lot of people deal with this."

I love Joey Votto and I'm glad Reds fans stood behind him during his time away from the team. I hope he is the Reds' first baseman (or LF) for the next decade.

gm
06-23-2009, 11:25 PM
For those who have never had a panic attack -- I've had two, in a relatively short period of time -- it is no joke. You think you're having a heart attack, you sweat, you shake -- all kinds of weird stuff that come with absolutely no warning. This was not something Votto could control. He was simply overloaded. Now that he's talking about it and getting help I think he's got a great chance of putting it behind him. But it's also quite possible that it could continue to disrupt his life -- he's just got to stay mindful of his vulnerability and of what he needs to do to manage stress, problems, emotions in a healthy way.

I had a feeling that this was what Joey was going through, back when we heard about the "stress related" problems. I went through a dark patch similar to this back in '94. You get counselling. You get meds. You find out who your real friends are, and you lean on your faith. They say the rehab is like recovering from a heart attack, but he's younger and stronger than I was. He may yet have some "bad" days ahead. Red's fans had better be patient with him, especially if he has to take more time off, down the road.

The good news? Votto should have a full recovery and have a long and successful career. I'm living proof of that.

HeatherC1212
06-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I've seen the Joey interview twice now and it's gotten me teary both times. I have two friends who each lost a parent at a young age (one lost her mom six months before her wedding) and I know what they've gone through to get past the hard times. It's a tough thing and they still have their moments where they get sad or need to be alone. If you suppress all those emotions it will totally eat you alive. My one friend's sister did that and she still has some struggles dealing with their mother's death. I really can't imagine going through all that emotional stuff all while being part of a team and in the public eye. I'm so impressed with Joey's maturity and honesty in talking about his troubles. He's a wonderful guy and I hope he continues to find peace with everything.

George Anderson
06-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Not that it matters but what exactly did Votto's dad die of?

This kinda reminds me alot of the pain Mickey Mantle carried thru out his life with many of his relatives (father and son included) who died at a relatively young age from Hodgkins disease. Maybe Votto is having the same problems Mickey had dealing with death.

VR
06-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Seeing him w/ his 2 little brothers tonight made it really hit home. He's carrying a lot on his shoulders, I hope he can find a way to cope, it's a heavy load for sure.

reds1869
06-24-2009, 12:10 AM
The Votto interview and the presence of his brothers was very moving. I am so glad Joey is on the right path now and I hope he continues to get the help and support he needs.

HeatherC1212
06-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Not that it matters but what exactly did Votto's dad die of?

This kinda reminds me alot of the pain Mickey Mantle carried thru out his life with many of his relatives (father and son included) who died at a relatively young age from Hodgkins disease. Maybe Votto is having the same problems Mickey had dealing with death.

IIRC, he died of a heart attack and it was totally out of blue. I don't recall his dad being sick at all. That probably made it even harder for everyone when it's something so unexpected. :(

OnBaseMachine
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Votto talks about struggle with depression
By Paul Daugherty • pdaugherty@enquirer.com • June 23, 2009

A few weeks ago, Joey Votto thought he was going to die. It took guts for him to admit that. And it makes you wish he’d done it sooner.

Big boys don’t cry. Especially not in the muscle-flexing world of pro sports. It’s OK to pull a hamstring. Everyone understands that. To concede a mental injury opens a whole new can of stigma. Most athletes would rather not.

We know some of the back story now. In a remarkable pre-game session Tuesday with reporters, Votto talked of his “severe depression’’ since his father’s death last August. Joseph Votto taught his son to play baseball, in a way that went beyond the fathers-and-sons playing catch. Until his dying day, the 52-year-old hustled home from his work as a Toronto-area chef to catch his kid’s games on the radio or TV.

When Joseph died, Joey went into a funk that crested early this month. He was on the disabled list. He had a panic attack and called 911 in the middle of the night. “I thought I was going to die,” Votto said.

Ballplayers are human. We forget that sometimes. They’re not just subjects for talk radio or pawns in a fantasy league. They laugh, they cry, they hurt. The money and the fame do not change this. Athletes are just like us, only with skills we tend to value highly, probably more highly than we should.

You’d never have guessed there was anything wrong with Joey Votto.

Conscientious to a fault, deferential to everyone, head level enough to shoot pool on. Yet we only knew what we saw, and we only saw Votto at the ballpark. The ballpark was his cocoon. It marshaled his thoughts, kept them from the dark places. Without the games, he struggled. “From the end of (last) season until the beginning of spring training, I was severely depressed,’’ Votto said Tuesday.

He regrouped when the games began anew. It’s easy to see now. Votto, forever conscientious, plowing his whole self back into baseball, honoring his father’s memory by playing well and playing all the time. After Joseph’s death, Votto escaped the tragedy by going to the ballpark. Lots of us do that. Some of us aren’t ballplayers.

Then Votto got the inner ear infection and missed a few games. The demons filled the baseball void. He tried to play through them. He left three games before they ended, “totally overwhelmed,” before the Reds put him on the disabled list. More time alone. More time to think, to dwell.

Things improved when he got back on the field, first in Sarasota, then last weekend in Dayton. Votto was in the Cincinnati lineup Tuesday, in his native Toronto. His issues persist, though. They resurrect a subject that while not taboo, remains frowned upon in most pro sports. Tear a knee, OK. Declare yourself depressed? Whoa.

Cincinnati sports psychologist Barbara Walker calls it a ballplayer’s “best-kept secret. We are talking about mental health more, but society in general still has a stigma about it.” Society’s stigma is tiny compared with what’s expected in the clubhouse or locker room.

The stigma is big enough that Jack Llewellyn, who has been counseling athletes since at least 1991, asks that he not be introduced as a “sport psychologist.”

“Lots of players are paranoid about the word. ‘Psychology’ means you’ve got a problem,” says Llewellyn. He’d prefer to be called a “mental health coach.”

Llewellyn is best known for his work with former Atlanta Braves and current Boston Red Sox pitcher John Smoltz, but has counseled hundreds of pro athletes.

Llewellyn said, “In some sports, a guy would want me to put on a beard and glasses to come into the stadium. I did a program for nine years with one player and nobody knew about it but the manager and the hitting coach.”

The Reds have an area sport psychologist on call. General manager Walt Jocketty called him when Votto’s issues surfaced. The doctor referred Votto immediately to another doctor more versed in what Votto was dealing with.

Meantime, Votto is back with the Reds. He’s in counseling, opening up, not so alone now, not so overwhelmed. His emotions are no longer dammed. They’re in the light now, more easily handled. It took guts for him to do what he did Tuesday. Good for him. Good for all of us.

“Most stress doesn’t have to be devastating,” Llewellyn says. “Those who challenge it every day are going to be your great performers, in whatever field.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090623/COL03/306230060/1007/SPT04/Votto+talks+about+struggle+with+depression+

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Votto’s little twin brothers mean a lot
By Hal McCoy | Thursday, June 25, 2009, 10:53 PM

THERE WERE TWO little kids with dark hair, wearing miniature Reds uniforms, running around the Reds clubhouse Thursday. They were twins - 9-year-olds, Ryan and Paul.

Their last name is Votto. They are Joey’s youngest brothers and it snaps you to reality, makes you realize what Joey felt when his 52-year-old father, Joe, died last August.

Not only was Joey without a father, but there were two 9-year-old boys who didn’t understand. And it was Joey wondering how his young brothers would survive without a father and with big brother running around the country with a baseball team.

Joey Votto knew what was more important. Baseball was his life. But real life was the health and well-being of a couple of cute little guys with broad smiles and no knowledge of the real world.

So I doubly salute Votto now for realizing what is really important and for his deep feelings that eventually led to depression and anxiety. It is a tough burden to bear.

WITH HIS LITTLE brothers in the clubhouse before the game, Votto took charge of the game Thursday night with four hits, three RBIs and a game-winning home run.

Votto’s double in the first drove in a run that helped the Reds construct a 4-0 lead. But just as he did in his last start, when he couldn’t protect a 5-0 lead against the Chicago White Sox in the Reds’ 10-8 loss, Cueto couldn’t protect a 4-0 lead in the first and a 5-1 lead in the second Thursday against the Blue Jays.

Votto gave him the fifth run in the second inning with a two-out single. Then when Cueto permitted the Toronto Blue Jays to tie it, 5-5, Votto blasted a first-pitch leadoff home run in the seventh for the lead.

Willy Taveras had three hits, two of them bunts. One was a suicide squeeze bunt in the eighth that he turned into a run-scoring hit for a 7-5 lead and the final score.

But the night belonged to Pal Joey.

“It was really nice to have my brothers in the clubhouse,” he said.

Some thought it too much pressure for Votto to come off rehab and return to play in his hometown of Toronto. But he thrives on it.

“I always want to play well and definitely in front of family and friends I want to play well,” he said. “If we had lost with the kind of night I had it would have been very disappointed to have left here swept. Playing well and winning was very big.

“The beautiful thing about baseball is that there is always a new game, another day,” said Votto. “It kind of parallels life sometimes in that every single day, you always get a new one. It was nice feeling good and not having to think about the problems I was having.”

Said Baker, “He said he wanted to come here and play and we were surprised he was ready to play so soon after playing only three games on rehab (four, actually). It means a lot to him, his family and his countrymen. And it certainly means a lot to us.

“Joey is an honest guy, as honest as you’ll find,” said Baker. “And he said he was ready. When he says he is ready we welcome him back with open arms.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/06/25/vottos_little_twin_brothers_me.html

Tom Servo
06-26-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm a few days late but I echo every sentiment of love and appreciation for Joey Votto. I am lucky to still have my father who in the last three years has survived a heart attack and a near fatal botched surgery. My best friend, one of the strongest willed and hardest working guys I know, lost his father unexpectedly several months back and I can tell it still effects him and likely will for some time. It's just a tough thing to deal with and I think especially for young guys with father's in their 50's. You think you have so much more time.

I'm thrilled Joey is feeling better and grateful that we have such a great baseball player back on our team.