PDA

View Full Version : GCL Reds

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2009, 09:33 PM
As many of you know, the GCL season begins tomorrow at noon. I'm looking forward to following that team. They will be very raw but very talented and incredibly athletic with Yorman Rodriguez in CF, Juan Duran in RF, and Billy Hamilton at SS. After Juan Silva signs he'll probably play left field. Carter Morrison, the athletic OFer from Canada will probably play some outfield too.

LF Juan Silva/Carter Morrison
CF Yorman Rodriguez
RF Juan Duran
3B ?
SS Billy Hamilton
2B Deven Marrero/Stephen Perez (if they sign)
1B Donald Lutz
C Tucker Barnhart

There should be some interesting arms too with Tyler Cline, Daniel Tuttle, and Ismael Guillon among others.

The roster hasn't been released yet but hopefully they'll get it up soon.

HokieRed
06-22-2009, 09:45 PM
That will be a fascinating team to follow.

GOYA
06-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Yep, it's too bad they won't be televised. There should be some fun baseball down there.

Grande Donkey
06-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Is Cline definitely staying in Sarasota? I was hoping he would be in Billings.

Benihana
06-22-2009, 11:28 PM
What about Junior Arias?

mac624
06-22-2009, 11:30 PM
on the box scores for the Dominician Reds Summer League team. Didn't do much early, but was hitting close to the Mendoza line at last check.

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 12:26 AM
What can we expect out of Y-Rod and Duran this year? They are both still young for this level correct? Should we expect them to struggle a bit?

Scrap Irony
06-23-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm expecting somewhere between a 220-240 BA with some pop and speed totals. Duran will BB more and Rodriguez will probably hit with a slightly higher average.

dougdirt
06-23-2009, 12:43 AM
What can we expect out of Y-Rod and Duran this year? They are both still young for this level correct? Should we expect them to struggle a bit?

I expect a roller coaster type ride with its ups and downs for both guys. I would say that I expect both guys to keep their heads above water in the .700-.750 OPS range.

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2009, 12:45 AM
hypothetical...if Duran absolutely kills it and moves up the ranks in a few years...do the Reds trade Bruce and replace him with Duran or do they keep Bruce and trade Duran?

Degenerate39
06-23-2009, 12:52 AM
hypothetical...if Duran absolutely kills it and moves up the ranks in a few years...do the Reds trade Bruce and replace him with Duran or do they keep Bruce and trade Duran?

Could they keep both?

11larkin11
06-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Could they keep both?

Duran-Yorman/Stubbs-Bruce

travisgrimes
06-23-2009, 02:00 AM
i think it will most likely be Duran/Yorman/Bruce.... wow imagine this lineup in 4-6 years:

C Trade/Draft Pick/Surprise Internally
1B Joey Votto
2B Neftali Soto
3B Juan Francisco
SS Brandon Phillips (i think eventually he has to move to SS with out shortcomings in the minors at SS unless we can grab a GREAT SS in the draft)
LF Juan Duran
CF Yorman Rodriguez
RF Jay Bruce

Rotation:
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Stewart
Wood

Only position of need really is catcher and that can be fixed via trade, draft, someone surprises us in our system... i would use yonder alonso next season as trade bait to get a young catcher like jesus montero of the yankees or someone like that

tripleaaaron
06-23-2009, 02:15 AM
i think it will most likely be Duran/Yorman/Bruce.... wow imagine this lineup in 4-6 years:

1B Joey Votto
2B Neftali Soto
3B Juan Francisco
SS Brandon Phillips (i think eventually he has to move to SS with out shortcomings in the minors at SS unless we can grab a GREAT SS in the draft)
LF Juan Duran
CF Yorman Rodriguez
RF Jay Bruce

Rotation:
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Stewart
Wood

Only position of need really is catcher and that can be fixed via trade, draft, someone surprises us in our system... i would use yonder alonso next season as trade bait to get a young catcher like jesus montero of the yankees or someone like that

I would put Soto at 3B and leave Phillips at 2B (if he is still here), pencil Cozart in at SS and use Frazier as a supersub. I also think Sulbaran makes this rotation (but not quite sure as to who he would replace). As for catcher I think we will see an in house surprise (or a Mesoraco surge) and Hanigan continue to man a roster spot.

dougdirt
06-23-2009, 02:17 AM

1B Joey Votto
2B Neftali Soto
3B Juan Francisco
LF Juan Duran
CF Yorman Rodriguez
RF Jay Bruce

Rotation:
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Stewart
Wood

Soto can't play 2B and the odds are very much against Juan Francisco playing 3B. Phillips won't be moving from 2B. And Montero isn't a catcher anymore than Todd Frazier or Adam Rosales is a shortstop. Sure, someone let them play there in the minors for a while, but its not something thats going to continue into the majors.

redsfandan
06-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Phillips still here in 4-6 years? Maybe. Maybe not. The last year under his current contract is an option year for $12m in 2012. If they pick up the option that would be $39m/5 years (not including bonuses/incentives). After that he'd need a new contract which would likely cost more $. Would the Reds pay that much more for him? Would you? By 2012-13 we may very well have a new 2nd baseman. We can't keep everyone forever.

lollipopcurve
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
You guys are way ahead of yourselves in projecting these young guys.

GCL Reds may have more high ceiling talent than in years past, but I fully expect some of the talent to never flower. Put it this way -- if one of the Yorman-Hamilton-Duran triumvirate fulfills his potential, I'll be quite pleased.

Agree, though, that that team could be far more intriguing than about the last decade of GCL clubs.

medford
06-23-2009, 09:45 AM

1B Joey Votto
2B Neftali Soto
3B Juan Francisco
LF Juan Duran
CF Yorman Rodriguez
RF Jay Bruce

Rotation:
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Stewart
Wood

anybody have a link to one of these type of discussions from 5 years ago? I know they're brought up annually for fun, and obviously never work out like we envision for one reason or another, but it would be fun to look back and see how right/wrong we all were, afterall not even Miss Cleo could have predicted they'd pick up Josh Hamilton in a Rule 5 trade w/ the cubbies then flip him for a all-star level pitcher. Anyhoo, here's my swing as we get ready to follow the progress of Yorman & Duran:

Catcher:
Hannigan and someone outside the organization. Dev eventually gets a cup of coffee, but at this point I'm not sure he ever has a major league impact. I like what I see in Hannigan

1B:
Yonder Alonso and his sweet swing take over this spot in 2011

2B:
Phillips is eventually moved or his option is not picked up. They'll need to start clearing out room for some of the young studs. This is where Chris Valikia and Todd Frazier battle it out for a starting nod. While I'm not sure either is ideally suited for 2b (Valikia moreso than Frazier) their bats more than make up for it in the long run. The other player is eventually moved.

SS:
As easy as it would be to pencil in Cozart here, I think this spot is filled by someone next season from outside the current organization that will man the spot in the 2010, 2011 and possible 2012 seasons. With Cozart now blocked, he's moved to another organization.

3B:
Someone from outside the organization (SFOTO - which is almost Soto and my choice in organization choice, I just think it goes outside) Edwin gets 1 more year after this, then is eventually let go and a free agent is picked up in 2011 to man this spot

LF:
Votto is moved here starting in 2011 w/ spot duty here in 2010. In 2010, Votto is the regular 1B, but the option is picked up on Hernandez causing him to play some 1B while Hannigan gets some regular playing time in 2010. This is also done w/ an eye on 2011 where Walt envisions Yonder taking over full time at 1B. Votto is also locked up long term following the 2010 season and is one of the reasons Phillips contract needs to be moved

CF:
Neither Yorman nor Duran is ready for the majors in 2011, but pushing hard. In the meantime Stubbs and Dickerson are battling it out for this spot.

RF:
Jay Bruce, talk of getting him locked up longterm along w/ Votto begin during the 2011 season, if not sooner.

Bench:
Janish is still realatively cheap and a solid backup at multiple positions defensively. Sutton is our move all over the field utility player, and the remaing spots are filled by SFOTO veterans to play some outfield and mainly pinch hit.

Pitching:
Voltron, Cueto, Bailey, Wood and SFOTO man the 5 man rotation. Bronson and Harangatang are moved along w/ Phillips to eventually get that SS. Stewart is still trying to get fully stretched out, and starts the season in AAA but eventually takes over the reigns w/ SFOTO fails as the 5th starter.

Cordero is still the closer as the Reds can't find someone to take on his contract, yet he remains effective in his role. Herrera is still toiling in middle relief, Viola, Burton, Masset, Fisher & SFOTO fill the remaining bull pen spots.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
What about Junior Arias?

He's currently playing in the Dominican Summer League. He had an elbow injury last year that prevented him from signing a larger bonus and it looks like they are still being cautious with him because he's mostly been playing second base and DHing. Based on what I've read, he projects as a shortstop. As for his bat, he got off a horrendous start but he's starting to show signs of life as he's 5 for his last 12 with two doubles.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I expect a roller coaster type ride with its ups and downs for both guys. I would say that I expect both guys to keep their heads above water in the .700-.750 OPS range.

I agree. I don't expect either of them to dominate the league. I'm just hoping they can hold their own. At 16 and 17, they are both two of the youngest players in the GCL.

Benihana
06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
anybody have a link to one of these type of discussions from 5 years ago? I know they're brought up annually for fun, and obviously never work out like we envision for one reason or another, but it would be fun to look back and see how right/wrong we all were, afterall not even Miss Cleo could have predicted they'd pick up Josh Hamilton in a Rule 5 trade w/ the cubbies then flip him for a all-star level pitcher. Anyhoo, here's my swing as we get ready to follow the progress of Yorman & Duran:

Catcher:
Hannigan and someone outside the organization. Dev eventually gets a cup of coffee, but at this point I'm not sure he ever has a major league impact. I like what I see in Hannigan

1B:
Yonder Alonso and his sweet swing take over this spot in 2011

2B:
Phillips is eventually moved or his option is not picked up. They'll need to start clearing out room for some of the young studs. This is where Chris Valikia and Todd Frazier battle it out for a starting nod. While I'm not sure either is ideally suited for 2b (Valikia moreso than Frazier) their bats more than make up for it in the long run. The other player is eventually moved.

SS:
As easy as it would be to pencil in Cozart here, I think this spot is filled by someone next season from outside the current organization that will man the spot in the 2010, 2011 and possible 2012 seasons. With Cozart now blocked, he's moved to another organization.

3B:
Someone from outside the organization (SFOTO - which is almost Soto and my choice in organization choice, I just think it goes outside) Edwin gets 1 more year after this, then is eventually let go and a free agent is picked up in 2011 to man this spot

LF:
Votto is moved here starting in 2011 w/ spot duty here in 2010. In 2010, Votto is the regular 1B, but the option is picked up on Hernandez causing him to play some 1B while Hannigan gets some regular playing time in 2010. This is also done w/ an eye on 2011 where Walt envisions Yonder taking over full time at 1B. Votto is also locked up long term following the 2010 season and is one of the reasons Phillips contract needs to be moved

CF:
Neither Yorman nor Duran is ready for the majors in 2011, but pushing hard. In the meantime Stubbs and Dickerson are battling it out for this spot.

RF:
Jay Bruce, talk of getting him locked up longterm along w/ Votto begin during the 2011 season, if not sooner.

Bench:
Janish is still realatively cheap and a solid backup at multiple positions defensively. Sutton is our move all over the field utility player, and the remaing spots are filled by SFOTO veterans to play some outfield and mainly pinch hit.

Pitching:
Voltron, Cueto, Bailey, Wood and SFOTO man the 5 man rotation. Bronson and Harangatang are moved along w/ Phillips to eventually get that SS. Stewart is still trying to get fully stretched out, and starts the season in AAA but eventually takes over the reigns w/ SFOTO fails as the 5th starter.

Cordero is still the closer as the Reds can't find someone to take on his contract, yet he remains effective in his role. Herrera is still toiling in middle relief, Viola, Burton, Masset, Fisher & SFOTO fill the remaining bull pen spots.

Ha- as ridiculous as this exercise is, I'll take a shot (with full disclaimers that this will be nowhere near what actually happens)

C Ryan Hanigan and SFOTO

1B Yonder Alonso

2B Brandon Phillips (the team needs at least one veteran in the lineup, he might be the most likely to stay)

SS Zach Cozart- don't sell him short. His glove is tops in the org. after Janish and he's done nothing but hit. If he does well in Louisville next year, he should be the starting SS come 2011 (provided there's no major talent brought in via trade.)

3B Todd Frazier- EE is moved sometime in the next year.

LF Joey Votto- If he proves he is over his "stress-related issues," I would start talking to him about a Longoria/Hanley type deal this offseason. Once again, provided he is over his issues, his leadership is crucial and I'd like to get him locked up regardless of what happens with Alonso/LF.

CF Chris Dickerson OR Drew Stubbs - while they should platoon for at least most of next season, I expect one of them will win out full-time by 2011

RF Jay Bruce- I would begin talking contract with him this time next year. Like Votto, I'd like to get him locked up for the long-term and go year-to-year with the young pitchers, mainly due to their injury risk.

SP1 Johnny Cueto - pretty much a given barring injury
SP2 Edinson Volquez - ditto
SP3 Aaron Harang - my guess is he stays, Arroyo goes. One stabilizing veteran in the rotation, at least until his contract runs out. Might not be the TOR guy he once was, but should still be able to give 200 IP.
SP4 Homer Bailey - we'll know by this time next year whether he's here for the long term or not.
SP5 Mike Leake/Zack Stewart/Travis Wood - one of these three wins the fifth starter spot with the other two headlining the Louisville rotation, at least to start the year. I could see Wood potentially getting dealt if he doesn't crack the rotation by this point, and maybe Stewart starts as a Joba-type swingman.

CL Francisco Cordero - unfortunately I think we're stuck with him. Along with Harang and Phillips, the only two real veterans on the roster.

SUBS

Chris Valaika - the supersub is the first bat off the bench and can play any position in the infield.
Drew Sutton OR Adam Rosales - one of these will be the other utilityman. The other will be moved out of the organization.
Dickerson/Stubbs - whichever loses out will be the 4th OF
Dorn/Henry/SFOTO - the 5th OF is impossible to predict two years out.
Hanigan/SFOTO - If Hanigan earns the job full-time next year after Hernandez's departure, this will be SFOTO.

MINOR LEAGUERS ON THE VERGE

2 of Stewart/Wood/Leake
Neftali Soto should be a call-up sometime in 2011. He may challenge Frazier for 3B.

OTHER TOP PROSPECTS

Sulbaran
Fairel
Boxberger
Rodriguez
Duran
Hamilton

EXPECT TO BE MOVED

Arroyo
Encarnacion
Owings
Heisey
Francisco
Mesoraco
Either Sutton or Rosales

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
The GCL Reds roster is now up:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=472

No Ismael Guillon or Anyelo Polanco. Guillon is probably still rehabbing.

Pitchers of note:

Nathan Driessen - soon to be 18-year old left hander signed out of Australia

Jesus Adames - 18-year old RHP with projectable body, 3.23 ERA in DSL last year

Clayton Shunick

Hitters of note:

Juan Duran
Yorman Rodriguez
Billy Hamilton
Carter Morrison
Henry Rodriguez - 19-year old switch-hitting 3B who hit .316/.388/.394 - .782 in DSL last season

texasdave
06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Welcome to Rookie League baseball - Gulf Coast Style. The GCL Tigers were in a big hole after three full innings, trailing the GCL Braves 6-0. Down six runs on the road on Opening Day - No Problems. Three walks, four errors, one wild pitch, and two hits later, the Rookie Tigers have themselves a 7-6 lead.

Hernan Perez walks.
Jordan Cruz reaches on fielding error by second baseman Elys Blanco. Hernan Perez advances to 3rd, on throwing error by second baseman Elys Blanco.
With Adolfo Reina batting, wild pitch by Kyle Farrell, Hernan Perez scores. Jordan Cruz to 2nd.
Adolfo Reina walks.
Elvin Soto walks. Jordan Cruz to 3rd. Adolfo Reina to 2nd.
Francisco Martinez reaches on force attempt, throwing error by third baseman Jake Hanson. Jordan Cruz scores. Adolfo Reina scores. Elvin Soto to 3rd.
Brett Anderson singles on a ground ball to left fielder Layton Hiller. Elvin Soto scores. Francisco Martinez to 2nd.
Pitcher Change: Ronan Pacheco replaces Kyle Farrell.
Londell Taylor strikes out on foul tip.
With Alexander Nunez batting, Francisco Martinez steals (1) 3rd base. Brett Anderson steals (1) 2nd base.
Alexander Nunez strikes out swinging.
Luis Castillo reaches on fielding error by pitcher Ronan Pacheco. Francisco Martinez scores. Brett Anderson to 3rd.
Hernan Perez triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Luis Contreras. Brett Anderson scores. Luis Castillo scores.
Jordan Cruz pops out to shortstop Fernando De Los Santos.

dougdirt
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Henry Rodriguez - 19-year old switch-hitting 3B who hit .316/.388/.394 - .782 in DSL last season

More walks than strikeouts too. Have to like that. Certainly on my 'watch list'.

Az. Reds Fan
06-23-2009, 02:53 PM
What's the deal with Shunick...why is he pitching in the GCL? I know he didn't pitch great for Billings last year, but he came from a big school (NC State) and is pushing 23, shouldn't he be at least in Dayton (or maybe, at the least Billings again). Is he dealing with an injury? Numbers crunch?

dougdirt
06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
What's the deal with Shunick...why is he pitching in the GCL? I know he didn't pitch great for Billings last year, but he came from a big school (NC State) and is pushing 23, shouldn't he be at least in Dayton (or maybe, at the least Billings again). Is he dealing with an injury? Numbers crunch?

He is coming back from an injury.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2009, 03:00 PM
More walks than strikeouts too. Have to like that. Certainly on my 'watch list'.

And he's only listed at 150 pounds. He should add some power once he fills out.

The pitchers I'm most interested in is Jesus Adames. He put up solid numbers in the DSL last year and has a very projectable body.

medford
06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
random international kid question, what ever became of Winfrin Obespo (sp?) I know the visa issues made his future of playing in the states Iffy at best, but he has to be playing ball somewhere unless he just packed it in.

another not so random question, when do we typically get updates from the rookie league games? If memory serves me correctly, it was often not until late in the afternoon, sometimes into the evening before there was any info on the gulf coast redlegs.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
random international kid question, what ever became of Winfrin Obespo (sp?) I know the visa issues made his future of playing in the states Iffy at best, but he has to be playing ball somewhere unless he just packed it in.

another not so random question, when do we typically get updates from the rookie league games? If memory serves me correctly, it was often not until late in the afternoon, sometimes into the evening before there was any info on the gulf coast redlegs.

Last I heard, Obispo was pitching in Japan. That's a shame what happened with him. I remember Johnny Almarez saying he was good enough to go straight to High-A or Double-A. He sounded like another Cueto type.

Sometimes the GCL boxscores aren't available until 10:00 at night and there are other times where it's available an hour after the game. Sometimes on the rare occasion they'll gives updates during the game.

NorrisHopper30
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm not one to follow minor league stats, but I think I'm going to follow this team.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Some old info on Nathan Driessen.

Nathan Driessen signs with the Cincinnati Reds

Ron Doorn, Monday, 17 March 2008

Nathan Driessen from the Perth Baseball Club has become a trend setter. With his signing to the Cincinnati Reds he has become the first signing for Jason Hewitt (Perth Heat Super Star of the 1990's) as well as the first Western Australian signed by the Reds.

Jason Hewitt said: "I have been following him since February of last year. He has great composure and mound presence."

Nathan, is also currently a member of the WAIS baseball academy,

Don Kyle (Director of WAIS) said: "He's been in WAIS for 2 years, outstanding work ethic. He has not put a foot wrong. He has my 100% recommendation as a major league prospect. Nathan is truly an outstanding kid who is willing to learn.

Nathan was selected in the U18 WA State HEAT team that played at Baseball Park in the AAA Championship in January.

During that Championship, Nathan a 6' 2" Left Handed Pitcher - threw 17 scoreless innings as he helped his team finish third. Due to his efforts he was awarded WA State HEAT teams MVP.

Nathan has also been selected for the W.A. Schoolboys tournament which is to be held in Lismore in the first week of May.

Nathan will attend the Australian MLB Academy this year where he will trial for the U19 Australian team and further develop his skills under the guidance of Australia's best coaches.

He will also have the opportunity to attend a minicamp with the Reds in Sarasota, Florida

Luke Prokopec (ex LA Dodgers Major Leaguer and Cincinnati Reds Australian Area Manager) said: "We've been following him for some time and seen him start to mature and develop. We're expecting him to develop physically over the next few years. He's got a great body for a pitcher. We won't rush him, over the next 2 years he can prepare himself for his assault on the major leagues."

We at BWA wish Nathan all the best for the future.

http://www.wa.baseball.com.au/?page=42622&format=

Grande Donkey
06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
3 of the 6 GCL games have been updated. It probably won't be long until the Reds score is posted.

REDblooded
06-23-2009, 06:35 PM
still................. waiting....

redsof72
06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
The Rodriguez-Duran thing...looking way, way too far ahead. When a 16 year old is signed, it is so much more of a boom or bust deal than when an outfielder is drafted out of Cal-State Fullerton. There is a good chance that one of those two players will never be good enough to play at the Double-A level. Both players are a long way away from being good enough to play in Dayton. Duran is 16. Try projecting a high school sophomore or junior. It is hard to know what he will do. He might be Ted Williams. He might never be as good as the fourth outfielder at LSU. A lot of it will be based on what you can't see. How hard will he work? How coachable is he? Will he be willing to make the adjustments that all minor leaguers have to make, or will he stubbornly stick with everything he has done up until now? We don't know any of that. We will find out in the next few years.

Grande Donkey
06-23-2009, 07:39 PM
4 of 6 games have been posted....... still no Reds scores.

GOYA
06-23-2009, 08:15 PM
4 of 6 games have been posted....... still no Reds scores.

This could be why:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=34230&hourly=1&yday=173&weekday=Tuesday

texasdave
06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Your unhappy final: GCL Orioles 5 GCL Reds 0.

Here is the box.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2009_06_23_orirok_rdsrok_1&t=g_box&did=milb

bellhead
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Didn't some of these guys stay down in Florida doing something like an extended spring training and scrimmage other clubs nearby?

Mario-Rijo
06-24-2009, 01:58 AM
As many of you know, the GCL season begins tomorrow at noon. I'm looking forward to following that team. They will be very raw but very talented and incredibly athletic with Yorman Rodriguez in CF, Juan Duran in RF, and Billy Hamilton at SS. After Juan Silva signs he'll probably play left field. Carter Morrison, the athletic OFer from Canada will probably play some outfield too.

LF Juan Silva/Carter Morrison
CF Yorman Rodriguez
RF Juan Duran
3B Deven Marrero (He has the arm and talent to play here)
SS Billy Hamilton
2B Stephen Perez (if they sign)
1B Donald Lutz
C Tucker Barnhart

There should be some interesting arms too with Tyler Cline, Daniel Tuttle, and Ismael Guillon among others.

The roster hasn't been released yet but hopefully they'll get it up soon.

Yeah, one heck of a load of talent. If only 1-2 of them even made it you'd probably be relatively stacked with potential superstars in the system. I hope that we can sign Marrero and Perez if so I'll be very content for quite some time with high ceiling MIF's. How good is Lutz though I don't know much about him? I'd almost put Morrison at 1st to get all those OF's in the game.

Mario-Rijo
06-24-2009, 02:11 AM
The Rodriguez-Duran thing...looking way, way too far ahead. When a 16 year old is signed, it is so much more of a boom or bust deal than when an outfielder is drafted out of Cal-State Fullerton. There is a good chance that one of those two players will never be good enough to play at the Double-A level. Both players are a long way away from being good enough to play in Dayton. Duran is 16. Try projecting a high school sophomore or junior. It is hard to know what he will do. He might be Ted Williams. He might never be as good as the fourth outfielder at LSU. A lot of it will be based on what you can't see. How hard will he work? How coachable is he? Will he be willing to make the adjustments that all minor leaguers have to make, or will he stubbornly stick with everything he has done up until now? We don't know any of that. We will find out in the next few years.

No doubt it. However as far as GCL teams go that team is ridiculous. I should also note that just off pure gut instinct Yorman just strikes me as the one who will be the most likely to stick. Duran again just on my gut seems like he might have a tougher time.

dougdirt
06-24-2009, 02:24 AM
No doubt it. However as far as GCL teams go that team is ridiculous. I should also note that just off pure gut instinct Yorman just strikes me as the one who will be the most likely to stick. Duran again just on my gut seems like he might have a tougher time.

See, I feel the exact opposite. Duran seems to have a better plate approach, meaning he has less work to do to become a solid hitter.

Mario-Rijo
06-24-2009, 03:02 AM
See, I feel the exact opposite. Duran seems to have a better plate approach, meaning he has less work to do to become a solid hitter.

Yeah I know, my brain says one thing, my gut just says the opposite for some reason.

TRF
06-24-2009, 12:55 PM

I can see that. Wouldn't be the first time a team gave extra chances to an athletic CF. Corner OF's can be more easily replaced.

But I think we can let them get in more than 1 game. :D

fearofpopvol1
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Could they keep both?

In theory they could...but Duran projected as a RF I believe? I wonder who would go to LF.

Benihana
06-24-2009, 05:24 PM
In theory they could...but Duran projected as a RF I believe? I wonder who would go to LF.

Like someone else suggested, way too early to be thinking about that. Even if they do both make it to the show (which is improbable), it likely won't be until Jay Bruce is eligible for free agency. No point in playing the "what if" game with that now.

fearofpopvol1
06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Like someone else suggested, way too early to be thinking about that. Even if they do both make it to the show (which is improbable), it likely won't be until Jay Bruce is eligible for free agency. No point in playing the "what if" game with that now.

I posed is a hyopthetical in my original post. Nothing wrong with thinking about it, as farfetched as it may be.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Has anyone checked the GCL Reds pitching stats lately? There are quite a few pitchers on that team who are pitching extremely well so far.

Tyler Cline - Selected by the Reds in the 4th Round (119th overall) of the 2008 Draft... attended Cass (Cartersville, Georgia) High School. Just turned 19in late June. Stats: 31 IP, 19 H, 1 HR, 8 BB/22 K, 1.45 ERA, 1.12 GO/FO.

Nathan Driessen - Signed by the Reds out of Australia last year. Left hander, just turned 18 in late June, listed at 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds. Stats: 21 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/16 K, 1.71 ERA, 1.41 GO/FO.

Jesus Adames - Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2008 for $100,000, IIRC. Only 18 years old, RHP, projectable 6-foot-4 195 pound frame. Stats: 19IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 5 BB/13 K, 3.32 ERA, 1.93 GO/FO.

Tzu-Kai Chiu - Signed out of Taiwan in 2007. 6-foot-0, 220 pound lefty. 21 years old. Stats: 16.1 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/14 K, 1.10 ERA, 1.00 GO/FO.

Raul Rodriguez - Selected by the Reds in the 25th round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft... graduated from Royal High School (Simi Valley, CA). 18 years old, 6-foot-3, 190 pound right hander. Stats: 15 IP, 10 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/15 K, 1.20 ERA, 2.43 GO/FO.

Harold Johnson - Selected by the Reds in the 11th round of the 2009 draft out of Trinity Christian Academy in Florida. 18 years old, RHP, big 6-foot-4, 215 pound frame. Stats: 21 IP, 11 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/21 K, 1.06 ERA, 1.83 GO/FO.

Daniel Tuttle - Selected by the Reds in the 5th round of the 2009 draft out of Randleman HS in North Carolina. Right hander, 18 years old, listed at 6-foot-1 and 175 pounds. Stats: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 2.00 GO/FO.

Mitchell Clarke - Selected by the Reds in the 19th round of the 2009 draft. From Ontario, Canada. 6-foot-2, 220 pound left hander doesn't turn 19 until late August. Stats: 5 IP, 0 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 3.50 GO/FO.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Funny you should post that I was just looking at Harold Johnsons stats and wondering if anyone knew anything more about him. Ive read hes a strong GB guy, with room to grow into a 90+ MPH guy given his frame.

using Google for someone named "Harold Johnson" doesnt really work that well.

OesterPoster
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Funny you should post that I was just looking at Harold Johnsons stats and wondering if anyone knew anything more about him. Ive read hes a strong GB guy, with room to grow into a 90+ MPH guy given his frame.

using Google for someone named "Harold Johnson" doesnt really work that well.

Might be because he goes by Jacob Johnson.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/baseball/palm/sfl-palmbeach-mlb-draft-s061109pnjun11,0,54907.story

OesterPoster
07-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Interesting. I didn't know he signed for over-slot money.

Trinity's Jacob Johnson signs with Cincinnti Reds
> Posted by Stacy Hicklin on June 26, 2009 07:30 PM

Trinity Christian right-handed pitcher Jacob Johnson is going straight to the minor leagues instead of heading to Wake Forest.

Johnson signed with the Cincinnati Reds today, two and a half weeks after being drafted in the 11th round. According to Johnson, his signing bonus is well over $100,000 and is close to fourth to sixth round money this year.

"We think [Johnson] has a chance to be in a starter in the major leagues in the future being a big, strong right-handed picther," said Reds scout Tony Arias, who is the director of the organization's Latin American scouting. "We think he'll have three major league pitches."

Johnson leaves early Saturday morning (less than 24 hours after signing) to play with the Red's rookie level team in Sarasota that plays in the Gulf Coast League. He's excited to be able to spend his first summer close to home where his friends and family can still see him play.

After the draft, Johnson was pretty honest with Wake Forest telling the school he was pretty sure he was going to sign with the Reds and pass on playing at the college level. Wake Forest coach Tom Walter tired to talk him out of it, but Johnson remained firm. Johnson was not looking forward to making the difficult call to Walter tonight.

mace
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Has anyone checked the GCL Reds pitching stats lately? There are quite a few pitchers on that team who are pitching extremely well so far.

Tyler Cline - Selected by the Reds in the 4th Round (119th overall) of the 2008 Draft... attended Cass (Cartersville, Georgia) High School. Just turned 19in late June. Stats: 31 IP, 19 H, 1 HR, 8 BB/22 K, 1.45 ERA, 1.12 GO/FO.

Nathan Driessen - Signed by the Reds out of Australia last year. Left hander, just turned 18 in late June, listed at 6-foot-2 and 190 pounds. Stats: 21 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/16 K, 1.71 ERA, 1.41 GO/FO.

Jesus Adames - Signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2008 for $100,000, IIRC. Only 18 years old, RHP, projectable 6-foot-4 195 pound frame. Stats: 19IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 5 BB/13 K, 3.32 ERA, 1.93 GO/FO.

Tzu-Kai Chiu - Signed out of Taiwan in 2007. 6-foot-0, 220 pound lefty. 21 years old. Stats: 16.1 IP, 12 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/14 K, 1.10 ERA, 1.00 GO/FO.

Raul Rodriguez - Selected by the Reds in the 25th round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft... graduated from Royal High School (Simi Valley, CA). 18 years old, 6-foot-3, 190 pound right hander. Stats: 15 IP, 10 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/15 K, 1.20 ERA, 2.43 GO/FO.

Harold Johnson - Selected by the Reds in the 11th round of the 2009 draft out of Trinity Christian Academy in Florida. 18 years old, RHP, big 6-foot-4, 215 pound frame. Stats: 21 IP, 11 H, 0 HR, 10 BB/21 K, 1.06 ERA, 1.83 GO/FO.

Daniel Tuttle - Selected by the Reds in the 5th round of the 2009 draft out of Randleman HS in North Carolina. Right hander, 18 years old, listed at 6-foot-1 and 175 pounds. Stats: 6 IP, 5 H, 0 HR, 2 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 2.00 GO/FO.

Mitchell Clarke - Selected by the Reds in the 19th round of the 2009 draft. From Ontario, Canada. 6-foot-2, 220 pound left hander doesn't turn 19 until late August. Stats: 5 IP, 0 H, 0 HR, 1 BB/6 K, 0.00 ERA, 3.50 GO/FO.

Those guys are extremely worth watching. I'm especially interested in Driessen, Johnson, Cline and Adames. That said, the GCL is playing very much like a pitchers' league. But the Reds do rank high in most categories.

ERA: 2nd at 2.61
WHIP: Tied 4th at 1.14
HR: 2nd with 3
Shutouts: 2nd with 3
K and BB, not so good

A fact of life in the GCL is that there's a wide spread between runs allowed and earned runs, which distorts the figures a bit. In the Reds' case, they've given up 91 runs, but only 73 earned. (At that, their unearned runs are 3rd lowest in the league.) That includes today, when they (and Jacob Johnson) lost 2-0 to the Orioles on two unearned runs.

mace
07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Should have pointed out that their total runs allowed are lowest in the league.

Their runs scored (offense) are smack in the middle.

RED VAN HOT
07-29-2009, 09:57 PM
After today, Tzu-Kai Chiu is 19 IP, 13H, 1BB, 17K, .200 Avg Against. He will be 22 in September. Is there any reason for keeping him in the GCL? His numbers suggest he is somewhat polished. Is it a cultural adjustment?

Benihana
07-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Cline and Chiu should be in Billings by now, and should begin next season in Dayton.

I like what I've seen from Harold Johnson. He should start in Billings next year.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Pitching stats look great, but does anyone really hit in the GCL?

I mean, when hitters get "promoted" to Billings they all seem to hit much better than in the GCL.

11larkin11
07-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Cline and Chiu should be in Billings by now, and should begin next season in Dayton.

I like what I've seen from Harold Johnson. He should start in Billings next year.

Jacob

OnBaseMachine
08-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Don't look now but Juan Silva is putting together a very nice season so far with the GCL Reds. Silva walked and hit his first professional home run today and is now hitting .289/.382/.465 - .847 OPS in 114 atbats. As you probably already know, Silva was the Reds 8th round pick out of Puerto Rico this year. I remember watching his scouting video and coming away impressed. It's nice to see him putting his tools to use already.

nemesis
08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I know he lists as a CF but with Yorman, Fellhauer, Reed, Sapplett, Heisley, Stubbs straight up the pipeline specifically Yorman, can his bat carry to a corner OF postion?

I really believe he might be the best prospect in this years draft class... High high ceiling for this kid.