PDA

View Full Version : Which contract would you drop?

Captain Hook
06-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I found this article about MLB bailing every team out of 1 contract of their choice using some sort of general fund.They are suggesting this as a 1 time thing to help some teams out so they can make some moves before the trade deadline.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06212009/sports/mets/mlb_should_let_each_team_out_from_under__175379.ht m

I know that Gonzo would be gone in a second.Who would you guys like to see go?Just for some fun how about if this had been done in past seasons.Can anyone say Eric Milton?

13 in hall
06-23-2009, 01:45 AM
Never gonna happen!! But if so then Cordero 37 millon over the next three if I am correct? In a heartbeat!!

redsfanfalcon
06-23-2009, 01:51 AM
Never gonna happen!! But if so then Cordero 37 millon over the next three if I am correct? In a heartbeat!!

He's at least doing his job... maybe Tavares?

davereds24
06-23-2009, 01:54 AM
that's a ridiculous idea, mlb would be paying someone like zito over 70million to do nothing.

as for the reds, id probably say bronson, cordero, or taveras in that order.

tobttr
06-23-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm personally real disappointed in Taveras. Didn't we hear some stuff in the spring about stealing 100 bases? Now it seems unlikely that he'll even reach base much more than 100 times this year. So he would get my vote.

GIDP
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Arroyo just because of the price tag and replacement options.

Cordero would be just as good.

I like both players but if I had to pick those would be the 2.

Captain Hook
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I can't believe no one else thinks Gonzo would have to go.With the exception of maybe Taveras the other guys being mentioned actually have some trade value.There is no way we could unload Gonzo and his contract.If the MLB actually did this we could part ways and have it cost nothing to the team.

By the way I know that this will never happen.I agree with some of the other comments about it being a stupid idea.Just thought it would be interesting to hear who others would like to see disappear completely from the Reds if it could be done at no cost and no gain.

davereds24
06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I can't believe no one else thinks Gonzo would have to go.With the exception of maybe Taveras the other guys being mentioned actually have some trade value.There is no way we could unload Gonzo and his contract.If the MLB actually did this we could part ways and have it cost nothing to the team.

By the way I know that this will never happen.I agree with some of the other comments about it being a stupid idea.Just thought it would be interesting to hear who others would like to see disappear completely from the Reds if it could be done at no cost and no gain.

gonzo doesn't have much of a contract, that's the point. the reds only owe him a couple mil for the rest of this year, that's it. you can eat a contract like that and it isn't that big of a deal.

Kingspoint
06-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Willy T, take a knee.

BluegrassRedleg
06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
There isn't any question about this one from my point of view: Cordero.

No one else is close.

Ghosts of 1990
06-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Owings

Captain Hook
06-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Whats being proposed is to completely get rid of someone along with their contract without loosing or gaining anything except the money you would have to pay them.Another team would be free to sign them and they would no longer be a Red.The guys your all mentioning all at least have some trade value except for maybe Taveras.:bang:

LouisvilleCARDS
06-23-2009, 10:50 PM
gonzo doesn't have much of a contract, that's the point. the reds only owe him a couple mil for the rest of this year, that's it. you can eat a contract like that and it isn't that big of a deal.

Bingo. He's already been paid for two and a half years. What's eating the rest of it going to do?

Breaking it down, there's only 3 really huge contracts on the roster, and all have done a pretty good job: Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero. The sad fact is though, for a small market team, the contract Cordero has for pitching one inning every game you're up 1-3 runs is ridiculous. That money is much more needed elsewhere. Someone else can be put in that positon with similar results.

As for general worthlessness, obviously Taveras is a waste of money if you want to go by that. He wouldn't be clearing up a ton of payroll though.

davereds24
06-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Whats being proposed is to completely get rid of someone along with their contract without loosing or gaining anything except the money you would have to pay them.Another team would be free to sign them and they would no longer be a Red.The guys your all mentioning all at least have some trade value except for maybe Taveras.:bang:

i don't even think the yankees would take cordero and his contract at this point. arroyo may or may not have trade value. the reds might have to pay part of his contract.

your choice was a guy who is a free agent at the end of the season, that defeats the purpose of this whole thing.

Shawn_RedsFan
06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Owings

co-sign

Captain Hook
06-24-2009, 12:32 AM
i don't even think the yankees would take cordero and his contract at this point. arroyo may or may not have trade value. the reds might have to pay part of his contract.

your choice was a guy who is a free agent at the end of the season, that defeats the purpose of this whole thing.

I know what your saying and thinking long term your right.The whole purpose of this is to free up some money for teams so that they can take another contract in a trade without increasing their payroll as much as it would have been if they still had to pay on a useless contract of a useless player such as Gonzo or Taveras.Its supposed to be something to help a team compete this season.Unfortunately teams like the Reds would use it as a way to just dump a salary of a productive player making it easy for any other competing team to just pick then up for next to nothing.Now I really see why this is a stupid idea that would never work.

BLEEDS
06-24-2009, 03:09 AM
This idea is stupid. Of course only New York would come up with this sort of craziness, since they have tons of idiotic overpaid contracts out there.

Bailout the Rich Idiot Owners.
Nice.

PEACE

-BLEEDS