PDA

View Full Version : A great week of baseball!

RedlegJake
06-23-2009, 12:28 PM
It's going to be a fascinating week right through Saturday.

JOEY'S BACK!! But how will he fare? Will he be able to step right back in? The Reds need him to come back hammering without much of a struggle.

Will Hanigan ride the pine again after looking terrific as the starting catcher, or will Ramon get the bulk of the starts?

How will BP's thumb hamper him? Can he play through it as it heals or will he, too, end up on the DL?

Will AGon's DL stint be a blessing for the Reds as JHJ and Janish take the starts and replace him in the lineup? Even Janish is a better hitter, imo, at this point. This forces Dusty to get AGon out and these two in as a platoon. Will he play primarily Paul's glove or JHJ's bat?

Saturday Homer gets his chance to try his new splitter on the ML. He's been lights out and as consistent as I've ever seen him but AAA is not the big leagues. The Reds need Homer to finally shine and maybe, just maybe, he's finally learned that the power in his arm isn't enough by itself at the highest level. For all of us who've kept the faith and preached patience - is this the time? I can't even begin to describe how huge it would be if Homer truly has turned a corner in his development. The possibilities that opens up!

EE is rehabbing at AAA. Will his wrist hold up so he can get back as quickly as possible? I love the fact he's rehabbing and hope he can get his stroke there and come up hot like he did when they sent him down the last time. When EE is cold he's cold but he gets so hot he can carry a team, too. Love to be on the right side of a hot streak with Edwin and have him and Joey both hammering, which, btw, I think would have a positive effect on Bruce's approach, too.

Finally, can the roster moves and lineup changes get this team righted enough to stay in the race? Just 3.5 games back but let's face it - for a month now the Reds have fought through injuries and a team wide hitting slump but really, the only reason they're still in things is that no one else has put a run together yet. They're lucky they're not buried because they've been several games under .500 over this span. Time's running out - will they vault back into real contention this week or start fading away for good?

What a great week of baseball!

Homer Bailey
06-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I think a 4-2 week is essential at this point of the season. If Votto can come back and cause a wave of momentum like Bruce did in his first stint last year, this team may be able to vault themselves back into contention. We need a nice winning streak, and it needs to start tonight.

Hanigan is gonna be on the pine, which frustrates me to no end. Ramon may be a bit better at working with the pitching staff, but Hanigan has been better than him in every other facet of the game.

Bailey will try his luck against Cleveland one more time. This is at least the 5th interleague start for Bailey in his short career.

As much as I've chastized EE in the past, I can't wait for him to get back. Maybe he can regain his 2007 form. We need his bat at 3B.

Should be an exciting week. Wish we were at home instead of on the road.

reds1869
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Homer's start is the most exciting thing to me. He's always had the stuff but perhaps now he will add some much needed movement and hit his spots. Can't wait to see him start and to see my favorite player's return to first base!

_Sir_Charles_
06-23-2009, 03:02 PM

JOEY'S BACK!! But how will he fare? Will he be able to step right back in? The Reds need him to come back hammering without much of a struggle.

Will Hanigan ride the pine again after looking terrific as the starting catcher, or will Ramon get the bulk of the starts?

How will BP's thumb hamper him? Can he play through it as it heals or will he, too, end up on the DL?

Will AGon's DL stint be a blessing for the Reds as JHJ and Janish take the starts and replace him in the lineup? Even Janish is a better hitter, imo, at this point. This forces Dusty to get AGon out and these two in as a platoon. Will he play primarily Paul's glove or JHJ's bat?

Saturday Homer gets his chance to try his new splitter on the ML. He's been lights out and as consistent as I've ever seen him but AAA is not the big leagues. The Reds need Homer to finally shine and maybe, just maybe, he's finally learned that the power in his arm isn't enough by itself at the highest level. For all of us who've kept the faith and preached patience - is this the time? I can't even begin to describe how huge it would be if Homer truly has turned a corner in his development. The possibilities that opens up!

EE is rehabbing at AAA. Will his wrist hold up so he can get back as quickly as possible? I love the fact he's rehabbing and hope he can get his stroke there and come up hot like he did when they sent him down the last time. When EE is cold he's cold but he gets so hot he can carry a team, too. Love to be on the right side of a hot streak with Edwin and have him and Joey both hammering, which, btw, I think would have a positive effect on Bruce's approach, too.

Finally, can the roster moves and lineup changes get this team righted enough to stay in the race? Just 3.5 games back but let's face it - for a month now the Reds have fought through injuries and a team wide hitting slump but really, the only reason they're still in things is that no one else has put a run together yet. They're lucky they're not buried because they've been several games under .500 over this span. Time's running out - will they vault back into real contention this week or start fading away for good?

I agree. It should be an interesting week coming up. Real soap opera stuff.

I couldn't help but hum in my head as I read this though. "like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives" :D

Big Klu
06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
In my opinion, Hanigan could use two or three days off. He has been catching every game--day games after night games, back-to-back extra-inning games, etc. His legs could use a two or three day rest. There will be plenty of opportunities for both Hernandez and Hanigan to get playing time.

bucksfan2
06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
IMO what the Reds do before the All Star break will make or break their season. They need desperately a winning streak. They haven't been able to string along two weeks of 8-2 or 9-1 baseball. More often they go 5-5, 6-4, or 4-6. If one team in the NL Central gets hot they can run away with the division.

Offensively the Reds will be at full strength for the first time this season. IMO they will have the best 12-13 position players at Dusty's disposal. Votto is back and Edwin looks to be coming back right around the corner. Gonzo's bat is out of the lineup and the nightmare known as McDonald is down in AAA. The pitching staff isn't exactly at full strength but it hasn't been a problem so far for the Reds. Its now or never for the Reds. A poor two weeks would doom the Reds and their hopes of contending this season. A good two weeks and a bat may be added mid-July.

Here's to a good couple of weeks and may Willy find his way to 1b a little more frequently.

Chip R
06-23-2009, 05:06 PM
In my opinion, Hanigan could use two or three days off. He has been catching every game--day games after night games, back-to-back extra-inning games, etc. His legs could use a two or three day rest. There will be plenty of opportunities for both Hernandez and Hanigan to get playing time.

Absolutely. Plus the hot months are arriving.

membengal
06-23-2009, 05:27 PM

I appreciate the post, RLJ. Nice perspective.

I agree, given the wilderness the team has been wandering in for the better part of a month with regard to injuries and offensive doldrums, this is a very interesting week.

I am really curious about Homer Bailey, v. 4.0 that is on the way. Unlike the three previous versions in Cincy, this release is bringing with him a new pitch, one that has proven to be a nasty out pitch at L'ville...hard to be anything other than uber-interested in how that will play in the bigs. Hope his new-found mound presence and maturity translates and gives him a chance to try it out this weekend...

Ltlabner
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
While it may not necessarily be the next week, I do think the Reds are at a crucial cross-roads for the season. If they win a game or two and then tail spin their way into the ASB in a couple of weeks, and the Cards/Cubs surge to a 6 or 7 game lead, I think you can pretty much call the season over.

After the ASB we have 4 against Milwaukee, 3 against the Dodgers and 3 against the Cubs. None of those will be a walk in the park for various reasons.

Ultimately, the Reds will fade as the season wears on, baring a big trade(s) or a miracle, but they can prolong the fade if they can right the ship this week, and play some good ball the next couple.