PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2010

texasdave
06-23-2009, 06:52 PM
The San Antonio Spurs make (presumably) the first major move of the NBA off-season by acquiring Richard Jefferson and giving up next to nothing. If this trade goes through as reported, move over Kobe. Enjoy that one-year run. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Jefferson.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/06/23/jefferson.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- A Bucks official with knowledge of the deal said Tuesday that Milwaukee plans to trade scoring forward Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto, giving them a veteran cast and financial flexibility.

The person confirmed the pending trade to The Associated Press and requested anonymity because the deal is not official until a call later Tuesday. ESPN.com first reported details of the deal.

The Bucks are sending Jefferson away less than a year after acquiring the scoring forward in a draft day trade last season with New Jersey for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons. Jefferson's contract has two years and $29.2 million remaining on it.

Jefferson was a steady offensive force for Milwaukee last season after spending his first seven years in New Jersey. He averaged 19.6 points and shot a career-high 39.7 percent from 3-point range while starting all 82 games.

Spurs guard Tony Parker said he would welcome a big, athletic player like Jefferson.

"He's a great wing," Parker said. "It's something we don't have on our team."

Parker and Tim Duncan had little offensive help in April when the Spurs lost in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000. Jefferson gives San Antonio a scoring threat it sorely lacked last season, especially when Manu Ginobili was out with injuries.

Jefferson became the Bucks' biggest offensive threat after Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut suffered season-ending injuries, but the Bucks' tight financial situation made a move necessary. Milwaukee does not want to pay the NBA's luxury tax, which last year hit teams dollar-for-dollar once they reach $71.15 million in total payroll.

Redd, Bogut and Jefferson are scheduled to make more than $41 million combined this season.

The trade was a shock to at least one Bucks player: Charlie Villanueva posted "RJ traded to Spurs. Wow" on his Twitter account before the trade was official.

The deal actually might allow the Bucks to keep Ramon Sessions or Villanueva himself, since both are restricted free agents.

Bowen, Thomas and Oberto give the Bucks a veteran group. None is signed beyond the upcoming season.

Bowen, 38, is a 13-year veteran known for his defensive efforts against the Western Conference's top guards. Thomas, 36, has played 14 years in the NBA, primarily at forward and center, and has been a bench player each of the last three seasons, averaging 4.3 points last year.

Oberto, 34, has played four years in San Antonio, averaging 3.6 points per game in his NBA career. Last season he underwent a procedure to correct an irregular heartbeat.

cincrazy
06-23-2009, 07:07 PM
The San Antonio Spurs make (presumably) the first major move of the NBA off-season by acquiring Richard Jefferson and giving up next to nothing. If this trade goes through as reported, move over Kobe. Enjoy that one-year run. Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Jefferson.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/06/23/jefferson.ap/index.html?eref=sircrc

I love the Spurs organization. That's a typical Spurs move right there. And if Bowen gets bought out by Milwaukee there's a chance the Spurs could sign him to a minimum deal.

Another potential big trade or two could be had this weekend, with the Rockets willing to unload McGrady to move up in the draft and the Celtics making it known that Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo are available. I can't fathom Rondo being available, but maybe Ainge knows something I don't.

Scrap Irony
06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Word is he (Rondo) is difficult for teammates to deal with. He was known to be extremely shy and introverted. He also doesn't like the chest pounding antics pre-game many engage in (again, according to previous reports and rumors during his time at Kentucky).

Still, if he plays like he did against Chicago and consistently hits that 15-18 footer, he's a legitimate Triple Double guy. As is, he's mid-career Jason Kidd without the gigantic contract. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

Revering4Blue
06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
The Wolves will reportedly trade Randy Foye and Mike Miller to the Wizards in exchange for the #5 pick in Thursday's draft, Oleksiy Pecherov, Etan Thomas and Darius Songaila.

Assuming this deal is finalized on Wednesday, the Wizards instantly become a credible playoff team in the East. They also manage to shed three bad contracts without taking any back -- Miller's deal ends after 2009-2010 and Foye becomes a restricted free agent. The Wolves are expected to keep both the #5 pick and their own #6 pick, without looking to move up in the draft. Jun. 23 - 7:53 p.m. ET
Source: ESPN.com

A high-ranking Bucks official said Tuesday that the team is in the process of trading newly acquired center Fabricio Oberto to Detroit for power forward Amir Johnson.

If this deal goes through, and it sounds like it will, the Bucks will have a power forward to replace Charlie Villanueva, who may be lost to free agency this summer. Then again, the Bucks do have some added flexibility to re-sign CV and Ramon Sessions after today's three-for-one trade with the Spurs. If Johnson starts for the Bucks he should have a breakout season. Jun. 23 - 7:57 p.m. ET
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

NJReds
06-24-2009, 02:47 PM
The Knicks reportedly bought the 28th pick in the draft from the T'wolves for $3M.

cincrazy
06-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Word is he (Rondo) is difficult for teammates to deal with. He was known to be extremely shy and introverted. He also doesn't like the chest pounding antics pre-game many engage in (again, according to previous reports and rumors during his time at Kentucky).

Still, if he plays like he did against Chicago and consistently hits that 15-18 footer, he's a legitimate Triple Double guy. As is, he's mid-career Jason Kidd without the gigantic contract. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

I had heard some speculation he was a different kind of guy, but didn't know it was that big of a problem. I would do it for the right set of guys, but it's such a risky move. I really think Rondo can end up being one of the best point guards in the game. The guy saved their season with his play last year.

I saw a rumor that had him going to the Grizzlies for Conley and Gay... I think Ray Allen was included in the deal, can't remember for sure. But I love that move for Boston, I think Conley is going to be a star if given the chance.

texasdave
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM
That's a first. A player being described as difficult because he likes to be left alone. How hard can it be to deal with someone like that? Just leave him alone. Problem solved.

Revering4Blue
06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
The Portland Trail Blazers acquired the 22nd pick in Thursday's NBA draft from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for the 24th and 56th picks in this year's draft, and worst of their second round picks in 2010.

The trade has been agreed to in principle by the two teams. It should be finalized by the league office later today.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban posted twice on Twitter: "We think we can get our guy at 24" and "You never know when 2nd rd picks can come in handy."

Why would the Blazers move up two spots in the draft? The word around the league was the Kings had zeroed in on Omri Casspi with the 23rd pick. Casspi could be a good pick for the Blazers to either keep or to bring over this year to provide more toughness in the front court.

Another potential target for the Blazers could be Florida's Nick Calathes, Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair, Georgetown's DeJuan Summers or VCU's Eric Maynor.

For the Mavericks, they pick up a couple of extra picks to move two spots in the draft.

Huh?

Blair should be long gone by 22.

Side question:

Will Hansbrough be drafted ahead of Blair?

Revering4Blue
06-24-2009, 07:29 PM
That's a first. A player being described as difficult because he likes to be left alone. How hard can it be to deal with someone like that? Just leave him alone. Problem solved.

On the nose.

You are a wise man, Dave.

Revering4Blue
06-24-2009, 07:47 PM
NBA front-office sources say that the Warriors are close to trading Jamal Crawford to the Hawks for Acie Law and Speedy Claxton.

The Warriors made it crystal clear that Crawford wasn't part of their plans next season, and this move gives them salary cap relief and a capable backup PG in Law. It's unclear where the Hawks would use Crawford in their backcourt -- he's not a pure PG like free-agent-to-be Mike Bibby and they already have an All-Star shooting guard in Joe Johnson.

If this trade is finalized the Warriors will only have Stephen Jackson and Acie Law to show from the ballyhooed deal with the Pacers 2.5 years ago. Troy Murphy, while overmatched defensively, is a double-double machine. Mike Dunleavy, granted he won't return until early 2010, has outperformed Stephen Jackson. Ike Diogu was dealt to Portland last year in the deal for Jack and Brandon Rush.

Conclusion:

The much-maligned Pacer's front office deserves credit. The last three major deals---Golden State, Toronto and Portland--have worked out favorably for Indiana. They need to get it done Thursday, as well.

Razor Shines
06-25-2009, 04:20 AM
If this trade is finalized the Warriors will only have Stephen Jackson and Acie Law to show from the ballyhooed deal with the Pacers 2.5 years ago. Troy Murphy, while overmatched defensively, is a double-double machine. Mike Dunleavy, granted he won't return until early 2010, has outperformed Stephen Jackson. Ike Diogu was dealt to Portland last year in the deal for Jack and Brandon Rush.

Conclusion:

The much-maligned Pacer's front office deserves credit. The last three major deals---Golden State, Toronto and Portland--have worked out favorably for Indiana. They need to get it done Thursday, as well.

I agree. I know that the writer from the Star is hoping that the Pacers draft Blair. And I've seen a couple mock drafts by "experts" with the Pacers drafting Hansbrough.

texasdave
06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Interesting rumor: If this is true the Phoenix Suns are going to have to rise once again from the ashes because they will have noone left from those teams of a couple years ago once Steve Nash signs elsewhere.

According to the same source that disclosed Terry Porter was about to be fired as Suns coach, the Rockets are leaning toward swapping Tracy McGrady's expiring $22M contract, Carl Landry and Aaron Brooks for Leandro Barbosa and Amare Stoudemire, who owns an escape clause after next season and is demanding an extension this summer to waive it.

New York Post

texasdave
06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Hello, Amar'e!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4285514

Yao Ming's broken foot is not healed and the Houston Rockets say the All-Star center is out indefinitely.

Chip R
06-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Hello, Amar'e!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4285514

If you're a basketball player and you have problems with your feet, you're in trouble. Just ask Bill Walton.

texasdave
06-25-2009, 11:49 AM
For the most part I would agree. But didn't Zydrunas Ilgauskas have major foot problems early in his career? He seems to have gotten past that. He may be the exception to that rule.

cincrazy
06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
For the most part I would agree. But didn't Zydrunas Ilgauskas have major foot problems early in his career? He seems to have gotten past that. He may be the exception to that rule.

True, but a big problem with Yao is his committment to the Chinese national team. The guy plays 12 months a year and never gets a chance to heal.

Scrap Irony
06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Love that deal for Houston, assuming they're finding another shooting guard or point guard either in the draft or through free agency. Stoudamire is a great player and he can play well with Ming, assuming he heals. (Of course, IMO, Yao needs to cut his minutes anyway.)

Chip R
06-25-2009, 12:44 PM

Yeah, but the dude can't hardly move.

Tom Servo
06-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Vince Carter traded to Orlando.

BuckeyeRed27
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM

Carter for Alston and Courtney Lee (there are some other players invovled too)

Nelson
Lewis
Carter
Hedo (if they can resign him)
Howard

That is a good basketball team right there.

Revering4Blue
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM

Vince Carter is heading home, to central Florida -- and he's bringing Ryan Anderson with him.

The Nets have agreed in principle to trade their most dynamic player and top gate attraction to the Orlando Magic in exchange for three players, which will effectively help them clear roughly $18 million off their 2010-11 salary cap.

Coming to New Jersey are point guard Rafer Alston, power forward Tony Battie, and rookie shooting guard Courtney Lee.

Anderson will be sent to Orlando in a separate deal for the Magic's trade exception.

It is now likely that the Nets will lean toward drafting a two-guard to take Carter's place, such as Terrence Williams. If that isn't the case, Lee -- a very promising player who was otherwise abused by Kobe Bryant in the NBA Finals -- will fight Chris Douglas-Roberts for the starting job.

Equally plausible is that the Nets have opened the door for another power forward, with Anderson heading south. That could provide the necessary impetus to draft Tyler Hansbrough.

http://www.nj.com/sports/mustsee/index.ssf/2009/06/nj_nets_nets_agree_to_move_car.html

Revering4Blue
06-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Interesting.

The Suns are in discussions with the Warriors to send Amare Stoudemire to Golden State for center Andris Biedrins and the No. 7 pick in Thursday's draft.

The Suns would also get another guy back in the deal, possibly Anthony Randolph, Brandan Wright or Marco Belinelli, to make the numbers work. However, we doubt that Randolph is going anywhere.
Source: Arizona Republic

RedLakerFan24
06-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Lakers will Repeat, they are going to Resign Lamar and Ariza

BuckeyeRed27
06-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Lakers will Repeat, they are going to Resign Lamar and Ariza

The Lakers will be good again, but I don't think you can pencil in that repeat. They need a new PG. I love Fischer but he is going to be too old. And lets not act they completely dominated the field this year. They were just better. A healthy Houston team is just as good if not better. The Spurs if healthy and with Jefferson are as good if not better. Denver needs one piece and they are right there. Obviously you can't count out Cleveland and Orlando with Vince Carter looks scary good.

WMR
06-25-2009, 06:27 PM
I actually think you'll see a half dozen or so at least teams with legitimate title hopes at the beginning of the season.

From the beginning of this season Cavs v. Lakers seemed preordained.

Razor Shines
06-26-2009, 02:38 AM
The Pacers drafting Hansbrough is pretty interesting to me. I'm not sure how good of an NBA player he'll be. I've always been a fan of his though. I thought Larry Bird had a funny comment about it:

"I always see the comparisons to Jeff Foster, but I don't get it," Bird said, referring to the Pacers center known for hustle but a 5.1 career scorer. "This guy can score and he will score."

I'm sure Jeff Foster was like "hey, thanks".

improbus
06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
The Pacers drafting Hansbrough is pretty interesting to me. I'm not sure how good of an NBA player he'll be. I've always been a fan of his though. I thought Larry Bird had a funny comment about it:

I'm sure Jeff Foster was like "hey, thanks".

The Pacers can run out a white wash w/ Hansbrough, Murph, Dunleavy, Diener, and Foster. They can even bring Josh McRoberts off of the bench. 6 American white guys? Wow

Could there possibly be a more "Midwestern" NBA team than this Pacers team?

Hoosier Red
06-26-2009, 09:42 AM
When the Pacers made the Dunleavy/Murphy for Jackon et al trade, my friend said they should put a billboard up in Carmel(the well to do suburb north of the city) saying, Your Indiana Pacers, now 40% whiter.

The Pacers can run out a white wash w/ Hansbrough, Murph, Dunleavy, Diener, and Foster. They can even bring Josh McRoberts off of the bench. 6 American white guys? Wow

Could there possibly be a more "Midwestern" NBA team than this Pacers team?

cincrazy
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
The Spurs managed to draft DeJuan Blair and Jack McClinton from Miami without a 1st round pick... that franchise absolutely amazes me. They're the front runners next year, IMO.

TeamSelig
06-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Hopefully Bird gets over his white guy fetish so we can win some games

Razor Shines
06-26-2009, 12:27 PM

Please. 3 of their last 4 top 60 draft picks have been Hibbert, Rush and Price. He also drafted Granger. Their has certainly been plenty of room to question his ability as a GM, but not because of a "white guy fetish".

And I realize you were probably speaking somewhat tongue in cheek, but I know people who really do believe Bird is a racist.

Hoosier Red
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I actually like the Hansborough pick.

This year I see a lot of offense/defense substitutions at the end of the game with Hibbert and Hansborough coming in for Foster and Murphy.

McRoberts has apparantly improved a great deal as well.

Razor Shines
06-26-2009, 01:29 PM
The Spurs managed to draft DeJuan Blair and Jack McClinton from Miami without a 1st round pick... that franchise absolutely amazes me. They're the front runners next year, IMO.

Doug Gottlieb said that RC Beauford has a video game coming out called "Grand Theft NBA Draft".

Scrap Irony
06-26-2009, 01:44 PM
The Spurs did well, obviously. McClinton and Blair should both play quite a bit 20+ mpg) and Blair could do very well in a rebounding/ garbage bucket role. With Drew Gooden at PF, Duncan, Jefferson, Ginobli, and Parker as starters, and Bonner, Findley, McClinton, Blair, and Mason as the primary bench, the Spurs have to be considered at least co-favorites, especially considering coaching genius Gregg Poppovich.

KoryMac5
06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Stan Van Gundy likes to call his players out in the press. I would imagine he won't hesitate to throw Carter under the bus when he pulls his disappearing act Should be an intersesting season watching these 2 clash.

TeamSelig
06-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Please. 3 of their last 4 top 60 draft picks have been Hibbert, Rush and Price. He also drafted Granger. Their has certainly been plenty of room to question his ability as a GM, but not because of a "white guy fetish".

And I realize you were probably speaking somewhat tongue in cheek, but I know people who really do believe Bird is a racist.

I was, but we really do have an insane about of white guys on the team.

- drafted Psycho T
- signed Travis Diener
- traded for Josh McRoberts
- traded for Mike Dunleavy
- traded for Troy Murphy
- traded for Rasho Nesterovic
- re-signed Jeff Foster

reds44
06-27-2009, 04:11 AM
What an epically awesome quote.

Revering4Blue
06-27-2009, 12:48 PM
The Five Stages Of Accepting Tyler Hansbrough

http://www.indycornrows.com/2009/6/27/927330/the-five-stages-of-accepting-tyler?ref=yahoo

Revering4Blue
06-27-2009, 12:50 PM
The all-undrafted team.

Josh Heytvelt - Gonzaga
Paul Harris - Syracuse
Dionte Christmas - Temple
Jerel McNeal - Marquette
Chris Johnson - LSU
Courtney Fells - NC State
Tyrese Rice - Boston College
Leo Lyons - Missouri
Jeff Adrien - Connecticut
Curtis Jerrells - Baylor
Eric Devendorf - Syracuse
Shawn Taggart - Memphis
Jeremy Pargo - Gonzaga
Ben Woodside - North Dakota State
A.J. Abrams - Texas
Josh Shipp - UCLA
Alex Ruoff - West Virginia
Luke Nevill-Utah

TeamSelig
06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
* Image removed.

Scrap Irony
06-28-2009, 11:51 PM
If Amare Stoudamire does indeed go to Golden State in this proposed deal (Biedrens, Randolph, Belinelli, plus future 1st Round Pick), the Warriors could very well compete for a top four seed in the West. Stoudamire is that good. And that Warrior team would be D'Antonio's Suns all over again.

WVRed
06-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Bad news out of Houston. Yao's career could possibly be in jeopardy, much less this season.

As much as a 7 footer or above is praised, you really have to wonder about the longevity of drafting one. Shaquille O'Neal may be the exception.

Revering4Blue
06-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Amare Stoudemire has little interest in joining the Warriors, according to two sources. The sources also indicated that the likeliest scenario at this point is for Stoudemire to stay with the Suns this season.

Stoudemire has told associates that he believes the Warriors could be giving up too much in the proposed deal, which would include Andris Biedrins, Brandan Wright, Marco Belinelli and possibly Stephen Curry.

Stoudemire is also reluctant to play center.

Via Mercury New

TeamSelig
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I've also heard though, that Amare doesn't care where he goes as long as he gets the max extension.

As for playing center, it could be a problem... but they do have Turiaf to play the 5 and guard opposing bigs for a big chunk of the game.

texasdave
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I've also heard though, that Amare doesn't care where he goes as long as he gets the MAX ATTENTION.

That's probably a little closer to the truth.

Revering4Blue
07-01-2009, 07:17 PM
A person with the knowledge of the negotiations says the Detroit Pistons have agreed in principle to contracts with free agents Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on Wednesday night on the condition of anonymity because NBA rules prohibit teams from announcing free agent signings until next week.

Gordon, the third pick in the 2004 draft by the Chicago Bulls, agreed to a 5-year deal for at least $50 million.

Villanueva, the seventh overall pick by Toronto in 2006 who has played all three of his NBA season with the Milwaukee Bucks, also agreed to a five-year deal. His contract is worth at least $35 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-pistons-signings&prov=ap&type=lgns

The floodgates are now open.

KoryMac5
07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Thats a lot of cake for both Gordon and Villanueva. I would imagine Rip Hamilton might be on the move somewhere. Dumars maybe on the hot seat if those two moves don't work out especially with the terrible Billups trade.

Joseph
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Ben Gordon apparently couldn't get out of Chi-town fast enough. As a Bulls fan I hope it proves to be a bad move for him.

improbus
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Z-Bo to the Grizz. At last, the Clippers do something smart in opening up a spot for Blake Griffin to start. They have three legitimate low post players, a dynamic scoring PG, and Eric Gordon was their best player last year. They don't really have a swing guy, but they've got some serious assets.

Scrap Irony
07-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Thats a lot of cake for both Gordon and Villanueva. I would imagine Rip Hamilton might be on the move somewhere. Dumars maybe on the hot seat if those two moves don't work out especially with the terrible Billups trade.

That Billups deal also got him out of the Billups' contract. Of course, he now uses said money plus for two solid if unspectacular players. Piston starting quintet looks good right now, IMO:

PG Stuckey
SG Gordon
SF Prince
PF Villanueva
C McDyess

In the east, that's not horrible. Two really tough match-ups (Prince and Villanueva) and an undersized C. Hamilton leads the bench bunch, with Maxiell, Bynum, rookie Daye, and the immortal Kwame Brown as a second unit. If they can find a solid C other than Wallace, they have a shot to be that second-tier Eastern Conference, 3 or 4 seed or better.

improbus
07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
That Billups deal also got him out of the Billups' contract. Of course, he now uses said money plus for two solid if unspectacular players. Piston starting quintet looks good right now, IMO:

PG Stuckey
SG Gordon
SF Prince
PF Villanueva
C McDyess

In the east, that's not horrible. Two really tough match-ups (Prince and Villanueva) and an undersized C. Hamilton leads the bench bunch, with Maxiell, Bynum, rookie Daye, and the immortal Kwame Brown as a second unit. If they can find a solid C other than Wallace, they have a shot to be that second-tier Eastern Conference, 3 or 4 seed or better.
Not too sure that I agree. First, they have no real point on a team w/ guys who need PG's to get them open shots (Gordon/Prince/Hamilton). CV is overrated and McDyess is old and shouldn't play as many minutes as they need him.

BuckeyeRed27
07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Z-Bo to the Grizz. At last, the Clippers do something smart in opening up a spot for Blake Griffin to start. They have three legitimate low post players, a dynamic scoring PG, and Eric Gordon was their best player last year. They don't really have a swing guy, but they've got some serious assets.

This trade blows my mind. I can't believe the Clips unloaded that contract. I thought for sure they were going to have to dump Camby or Kamen, but I forgot just how dumb Chirs Wallace is.

Davis
Gordon
Thorton
Griffin
Camby/Kaman

If they had a coach this might be a possilbe 6-8 seed in the West

improbus
07-02-2009, 07:56 AM
This trade blows my mind. I can't believe the Clips unloaded that contract. I thought for sure they were going to have to dump Camby or Kamen, but I forgot just how dumb Chirs Wallace is.

Davis
Gordon
Thorton
Griffin
Camby/Kaman

If they had a coach this might be a possilbe 6-8 seed in the West
Agreed 100%

TeamSelig
07-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Actually Dice is a FA too. Not sure if he is for sure re-signing or not.

It will be weird seeing the Pistons play without any defense. I can only guess Rip is out for a big, unless they keep Gordon as their 6th man.

cincrazy
07-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Apparently, the Cavs are trying to sign Ariza AND Artest. Talk about going all in with your chips.

Scrap Irony
07-02-2009, 02:24 PM
If they get both-- along with James and Shaq-- Cleveland will certainly be the team to beat.

It would also be interesting to see Ariza replace Robert Horry as perpetual good luck charm and demi-god of good NBA teams.

TeamSelig
07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Apparently, the Cavs are trying to sign Ariza AND Artest. Talk about going all in with your chips.

They don't have any cap room, this is imposible. They are probably going after both, but not looking to sign both, just one. Unless if that is what you were saying.

Artest is also looking to sign with LA if Ariza doesn't sign.

BuckeyeRed27
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Hearing some message board rumors of Rip Hamilton for Carlos Boozer.

Hamilton has an ugly ugly contract.

cincrazy
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
They don't have any cap room, this is imposible. They are probably going after both, but not looking to sign both, just one. Unless if that is what you were saying.

Artest is also looking to sign with LA if Ariza doesn't sign.

I wasn't sure of their cap situation, I was just going by what I heard, that they were going after both to SIGN both.

RBA
07-02-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers3-2009jul03,0,7602019.story

Lakers close to deal with Artest

Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times
The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Artest.
The move would probably end the pursuit of forward Trevor Ariza.
By Mike Bresnahan
July 3, 2009
The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Houston Rockets forward Ron Artest, The Times has learned.

Artest has been meeting with Lakers executives throughout the day and is expected to agree to terms later this afternoon.

UPDATE (5:00 pm)- ESPN.com's Chris Broussard reports the deal would be worth "an estimated $18 million" over three years, which is a perfect length from LA's standpoint. Artest will be 30 in November. BK

BuckeyeRed27
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers3-2009jul03,0,7602019.story

Lakers close to deal with Artest

Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times
The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Artest.
The move would probably end the pursuit of forward Trevor Ariza.
By Mike Bresnahan
July 3, 2009
The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Houston Rockets forward Ron Artest, The Times has learned.

Artest has been meeting with Lakers executives throughout the day and is expected to agree to terms later this afternoon.

So that means Ariza is gone for sure. What about Odom? Probably lose him too I would imagine.

RBA
07-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Ariza verbally commits to Houston

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303862

Mario-Rijo
07-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Ben Gordon apparently couldn't get out of Chi-town fast enough. As a Bulls fan I hope it proves to be a bad move for him.

Same here on both counts. BTW read a piece suggesting the Bulls may do a sign and trade of Gordon to Detroit. But getting back Iverson isn't my idea of wise even at 3 million. Could we do a sign and trade for a trade exception giving us more flexibility under the luxury tax for another short term addition? Anyone have the skinny on how that works, i'm not too up on NBA policies/rules. I'm hoping we make a deal like Tyrus and Tim Thomas for Boozer. Also like David Lee but doubt that one would get done, would hurt our flexibility for '10.

Heard we are going after/considering Marquis Daniels (formerly of Indy) with the MLE for depth at the 2.

RBA
07-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Lakers make the wrong move going with Ron Artest
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke-lakers3-2009jul03,0,1013056.column

texasdave
07-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Artest to the Lakers; Ariza to the Rockets. What? Noone wants to play with King James?

RBA
07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Artest to the Lakers; Ariza to the Rockets. What? Noone wants to play with King James?

They don't want to sign a multi-year deal to play in Cleveland when they know James will be gone after the next season.

Scrap Irony
07-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Now, Mason Buzz has promised his yearly salary that James will stay in Cleveland.

On another note, David Lee would make sense for every team in the NBA. Love his game.

improbus
07-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure that I like Artest to the Lakers. Platschke was right when he said that Ariza was perfect for their team. He was a defender who hit open three's. Is Artest willing to play the Bruce Bowen role? Artest needs the ball more than Ariza and that mean you are raking out of Bryant, Odom, and Gasol's hands. I don't see this ending well.

As far as Ariza to the Rockets, I'm not a huge fan of that move either. Don't they already have Battier doing that job? This is very reminiscent of Minny drafting Rubio and Flynn to play the same position. They should try to get something for Battier while his stock is fairly high.

As for David Lee, be careful. He is an effort guy whose stats were padded by D'Antoni's system. In any other system he is a 12 point, 7 rebound guy. He is a slightly taller version of Hansbrough. He would be a good fit on most teams, but don't think he is going to put someone over the top.

TeamSelig
07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Ariza signing was horrible. IMO he is a fantastic high energy off the bench kinda guy, but nothing to throw a ton of cash at.

As for Lee, he is a good player for any team, but it looks like it will take 8+ mil to get him. No thanks.

cincrazy
07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure that I like Artest to the Lakers. Platschke was right when he said that Ariza was perfect for their team. He was a defender who hit open three's. Is Artest willing to play the Bruce Bowen role? Artest needs the ball more than Ariza and that mean you are raking out of Bryant, Odom, and Gasol's hands. I don't see this ending well.

As far as Ariza to the Rockets, I'm not a huge fan of that move either. Don't they already have Battier doing that job? This is very reminiscent of Minny drafting Rubio and Flynn to play the same position. They should try to get something for Battier while his stock is fairly high.

As for David Lee, be careful. He is an effort guy whose stats were padded by D'Antoni's system. In any other system he is a 12 point, 7 rebound guy. He is a slightly taller version of Hansbrough. He would be a good fit on most teams, but don't think he is going to put someone over the top.

Ariza shot way better from 3 in the postseason than he did during the regular season. Artest was up around 40%, Ariza was down near 30%, if not a little bit below. I think Artest to the Lakers will work out great. They needed to do something, and inserting Artest for Ariza is a BIG something. Maybe it won't work out, but they took a chance. And I like that risk, shows they're not content after winning it all.

Ariza to the Rockets I don't care for all that much either. He's a decent player, but I think they panicked when they lost Artest, and that move might come back to bite them. He is fairly young though, so maybe he'll continue to improve.

WMR
07-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Lee would be PERFECT for the Cavs. They've GOT to find a quality big man who can defend the pick and roll that they can pair with Shaq and Z.

Revering4Blue
07-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Interesting.

Free agent Hedo Turkoglu has backed out of his commitment to the Portland Trail Blazers and could be signing with the Toronto Raptors, a source close to the talks told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

Turkoglu had agreed on a five-year, $50 million deal with the Blazers, but changed his mind and could be headed for a five-year, $56 million deal with the Raptors. Toronto would have to renounce three free agents – Shawn Marions, Carlos Delfino and Anthony Parker – to create the cap space for Turkoglu.

Apparently, the Blazers are already busy exploring other free-agent options for the $9 million in salary-cap space.

Five years ago, Turkoglu was close to signing with the Phoenix Suns that now-Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo was running, but changed his mind and went to the Orlando Magic.

texasdave
07-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Turkoglu's wife is rumored to love Toronto. She must have upped the ante. =)

TeamSelig
07-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Lee would be PERFECT for the Cavs. They've GOT to find a quality big man who can defend the pick and roll that they can pair with Shaq and Z.

I agree with the big man defense needed in Cleveland... but... since when does David Lee play defense? ;)

Revering4Blue
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE][The Boston Globe is reporting that free agent Rasheed Wallace has committed to sign a contract with the Celtics.

The deal is expected to be two years at the mid-level exception (approximately $5.8 million), as the Celtics' enthusiastic recruiting paid off in a big way. Rasheed was reportedly impressed by Danny Ainge's promise that his arrival wouldn't prohibit the Celtics from adding more talent to the roster. It remains to be seen whether this affects Boston's stance toward restricted FA Glen Davis.

Source: Boston Globe /QUOTE]

TeamSelig
07-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Looks like Celtics are also going for Grant Hill with their biannual exception, and the Spurs are trying to sign Big Baby Davis.

lol@Jefferson + Davis in the same locker room...

texasdave
07-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Duncan, Davis, Ginobili, Jefferson and Parker. One exceptional starting five.

Scrap Irony
07-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I remain unconvinced by Big Baby, though he had a fine playoff run. I'm guessing he'll need some serious back-up help, as his body type often gets worn down playing 40 minutes per game. Of course, with Gooden there, he's got that.

On another note, the Celtics, if they get both Hill and Wallace, should be fun to watch as well. Both would play on the perimeter, allowing Rondo to drive and dish four ways. This, in turn, would make them a much more run and gun team, similar to the Knicks, but with, y'know, talent.

Still, they're an old team. Seriously old. And injuries have a way of crippling old teams fast. Unless they're the Spurs, who just keep on keeping on.

RBA
07-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Latest on LO and Portland: Blazers not interested, according to a source.
http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Shannon Brown returning to Lakers
By Broderick Turner | 5:07 PM PDT
The backup point guard, who earned a more prominent role during the playoffs, agrees to a two-year, $4.2-million deal, with a player option the second year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/

WVRed
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Interesting three team trade being discussed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4317515

Another major multi-team trade might be looming in the NBA with the Portland Trail Blazers, Utah Jazz and Chicago Bulls having discussed a deal that would be headlined by Carlos Boozer and Kirk Hinrich, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources stressed to ESPN.com that no deal was imminent Thursday and that both Portland and Utah are still evaluating multiple trade scenarios. But two sources with knowledge of the three-team proposal confirmed that there have been substantive talks regarding a trade that would land Boozer in Chicago, Hinrich in Portland and Tyrus Thomas in Utah.

A deal featuring those main components would deliver the elite low-post scorer that the Bulls have been chasing for years in Boozer and furnish Portland with a lead guard in Hinrich that the Blazers are known to rate highly as a potential backcourt mate for Brandon Roy. It's possible that other players would be added to balance out the transaction from a salary-cap perspective if the three teams elect to take these talks further.

Yet even if this deal collapses, sources say it is clear that the Jazz are becoming increasingly open to the possibility of moving Boozer now to increase their financial flexibility to re-sign restricted free agent Paul Millsap.

Despite fresh reports Thursday about the Blazers weighing whether to sign Millsap to an offer sheet, Hinrich is the player Portland prefers, according to one source close to the process, after the Blazers came so close last week to landing the versatile Hedo Turkoglu.

Boozer has only one season left at $12.7 million after declining the option in his contract to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. It's believed that the Jazz are determined to keep Millsap but are concerned about the luxury-tax consequences of signing him to a long-term deal.

Mario-Rijo
07-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Interesting three team trade being discussed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4317515

Nice I was hoping for something like this to happen for my Bulls but seems like we'd have to make a trade for another solid guard. I'd hate to see Hinrich go, love his play. However it's time to find some low post scoring and open up cap space for next season for Chris Bosh and/or Dwayne Wade, I'm not convinced Wade is staying in Miami for sure.

BuckeyeRed27
07-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice I was hoping for something like this to happen for my Bulls but seems like we'd have to make a trade for another solid guard. I'd hate to see Hinrich go, love his play. However it's time to find some low post scoring and open up cap space for next season for Chris Bosh and/or Dwayne Wade, I'm not convinced Wade is staying in Miami for sure.

As a Jazz fan unless there are some picks or another player from Portland involved I don't love that trade.

WVRed
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM

If Wade does leave, I think Chicago could be a real player for his services.

IIRC, he is from Chicago.

15fan
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm not ready to pencil in the Hawks as title contenders just yet, but they're not that far off. In the backcourt, they have Bibby, Johnson, Crawford, and Teague to be their understudy. Up front, Smith, Horford & Pachulia is a solid core of bigs. If they can pick up another serviceable big guy and stay healthy, I think they officially have enough pieces to play deep into the post-season.

Revering4Blue
07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
The Mavericks' Next Trade?

When the Dallas Mavericks' season ended at the hands of the Denver Nuggets in the second round of the NBA Playoffs, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban vowed that, economy be damned, he was going to add an All-Star and make sure the Mavs would be back with a vengeance in 2009-2010. On Wednesday morning, after hours of negotiations and sessions of numbers-crunching that would have given Albert Einstein a headache, the Cuban's front office staff delivered on his promise of a couple months go.

It took four teams to get it done, but the Mavericks have acquired All-Star small forward Shawn Marion from the Toronto Raptors in a deal that also landed forward Kris Humphries, center Nathan Jawai and cash considerations from the Raptors and guard Greg Buckner from the Memphis Grizzlies, sending guard Antoine Wright and forward Devean George to Toronto and guard Jerry Stackhouse and cash considerations to Memphis. Additionally, Memphis obtains a second round pick and cash considerations from Toronto, while Orlando trades Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto for cash considerations from Dallas and Toronto.

Got all that?

So essentially what the Mavericks accomplished was they added another wing player in Marion who plays the same position as Josh Howard, with the initial thought being that they could play Howard at the two. While that could certainly work, if we look at the rest of this trade, it seems more likely the team will make a subsequent move to acquire a true shooting guard - one who makes them a contender.

First of all, the trade sent out Devean George and Antoine Wright, two of the Mavs' primary rotation players at the two. Neither was really good enough to start (and George was injured a lot), but they platooned well enough to get the job done in a stop-gap sort of way. Stackhouse was also a major factor at the two for a couple of seasons, but his own injuries cost him nearly all of last season and it's very likely that he has seen his last NBA game as a player. In short, the Mavs traded away three shooting guards.

Coming back was Greg Buckner, who Mavs fans know well. While Buck is a great defender, he's basically a non-factor on the offensive end. He appeared in 63 games for the Grizzlies last season, but averaged just 2.5 points per game on 38% shooting - numbers typical of his NBA career. He's a defense-only guy.

On the other hand, the Mavericks also got Nathan Jawai as part of the package from Toronto. Jawai is a legitimate center who was expected to get a shot to really make his mark in Toronto last season. Unfortunately, injuries prevented that, but at 6'10" and 280 pounds, Jawai is a serious presence in the middle. Keeping in mind that the Mavericks are also very likely to land Marcin Gortat from the Orlando Magic (assuming the Magic don't match their offer), the team now has three legit centers on the roster and Ryan Hollins waiting in the wings.

Does anyone believe Erick Dampier is actually going to be in Dallas on opening night?

While it sounds nice to say Shawn Marion and Josh Howard could play together on the wings in Dallas . . .and they might just be able to . . .it seems more likely the Mavs continue to shop Erick Dampier, who's contract will end this season if he doesn't average 28 minutes per game (he averaged 23 last season). That's basically a $12 million ending deal, and so many teams are looking to cut costs that it just seems unlikely that Dallas would be unable to move it.

Consider for a moment two teams who are looking to cut salary, and also happen to have a gaping hole in the middle after moves made to date. First on the list is the Phoenix Suns, and while Suns' owner Robert Sarver's first choice isn't dealing with Dallas, he's not having much luck getting a deal done to cut additional costs. The Suns are said to be interested in moving Jason Richardson, and his deal is close to enough that a trade for Dampier would work . . .and give Phoenix a center to play ahead of Robin Lopez.

Second, the Detroit Pistons are currently without a center and are shopping guard Richard Hamilton. Rip's number also matches up with Dampier's, and again, the Pistons have seen both of their centers sign with other teams over the last few days.

If the Mavericks are serious about adding a shooting guard, which they should be, and about trading Erick Dampier, there are certainly some discussion to be had that accomplish both of those things. And imagine how good the Mavs would be with Hamilton or Richardson starting next to Jason Kidd and Marion coming off the bench with Jason Terry.

Scary good . . .

The Hidden Gem

While all of the headlines today have been about the above trade, there was another move made today that is just as intriguing. The Indiana Pacers, running very much under the radar to this point, signed Denver Nuggets free agent guard Dahntay Jones. Jones, you'll recall did a solid job of getting under Kobe Bryant's skin in the Western Conference Finals.
"[Pacers president] Larry Bird and [general manager] David Morway contacted me the first night of free agency and expressed a lot of interest in Dahntay," Jones' agent, Mark Bartelstein, said, according to The Indianapolis Star. "The Pacers are getting somebody that competes with an edge and is a lockdown defender. He's going to bring a defensive mind-set to the team."

Jones' reputation as a defensive stopper was already solid, but he's someone who can be a game-changer for the Pacers, who lost a large percentage of their games last season in the final two minutes. If Jones can provide a couple of stops and Danny Granger can continue to be the dagger man, the Pacers could improve their record significantly. Considering how dominant Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough have been in early summer league play, this should be a playoff team next season.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13253

Revering4Blue
07-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not ready to pencil in the Hawks as title contenders just yet, but they're not that far off. In the backcourt, they have Bibby, Johnson, Crawford, and Teague to be their understudy. Up front, Smith, Horford & Pachulia is a solid core of bigs. If they can pick up another serviceable big guy and stay healthy, I think they officially have enough pieces to play deep into the post-season.

IIRC, the Bucks are toying with the idea of signing Josh Childress to an offer sheet. Should that occur, will the Hawks try to match the offer or let him go?

Revering4Blue
07-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Free agent forward Brandon Bass has reached an agreement in principle on a four-year deal with the Orlando Magic.

With Marcin Gortat all but gone, and Tony Battie traded away to New Jersey, the Magic were desperate to add a big man to their roster. It stands to reason that Bass will get decent minutes in Orlando, but having him on the court with Dwight Howard will be a drag on their shooting, for which they will turn to Ryan Anderson.

Grant Hill(notes) has decided to re-sign with Phoenix, and a large part of the decision is based on the belief that Steve Nash(notes) is close to reaching an agreement on a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Hill has begun telling associates he’s staying with the Suns. Phoenix owner Robert Sarver, general manager Steve Kerr and coach Alvin Gentry met with Hill on Wednesday night and Thursday morning in Florida.

The Suns will also sign free agent Channing Frye(notes) to a two-year deal for $3.8 million, sources said. The second season is at Frye’s option.

The New York Knicks reportedly offered Hill the choice of a one-year, $5 million deal or a three-year, $10 million contract. Hill also had an offer from the Boston Celtics.Nevertheless, he’s believed to be comfortable with the direction of the Suns to re-sign there.

The terms of the Nash extension are unclear, although one source believes it is a three-year deal worth about $33 million.

Also, it appears that the proposed Stoudemire to Golden State deal is dead.

texasdave
07-10-2009, 06:49 PM
It took four teams to get it done, but the Mavericks have acquired All-Star small forward Shawn Marion from the Toronto Raptors in a deal that also landed forward Kris Humphries, center Nathan Jawai and cash considerations from the Raptors and guard Greg Buckner from the Memphis Grizzlies, sending guard Antoine Wright and forward Devean George to Toronto and guard Jerry Stackhouse and cash considerations to Memphis. Additionally, Memphis obtains a second round pick and cash considerations from Toronto, while Orlando trades Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto for cash considerations from Dallas and Toronto.

Is Jerry "Boomerang" Stackhouse going to be released by Memphis and end up back in Dallas? Haven't we seen the show before?

EDIT: MEMPHIS, TENN.(AP) —The Memphis Grizzlies have waived Jerry Stackhouse(notes), just a day after acquiring the NBA veteran in a four-team, eight-player trade.

What took so long?

TeamSelig
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
How fast of a tempo do the Mavs play? Marion has proven he is pretty terrible in a slower system, thats why I was curious.

KoryMac5
07-10-2009, 10:20 PM
How fast of a tempo do the Mavs play? Marion has proven he is pretty terrible in a slower system, thats why I was curious.

Carlisle had the reputation as a slow paced grind it out coach, but halfway through the season he turned over the play calling to Kidd, and Dallas seemed to take off. I would imagine Kidd is drooling over the thought of Marion and Howard on the wings to run down the floor with. I like the trade for Dallas as they gave up little to get Matrix, just not sure where there outside shooting will come from.

TeamSelig
07-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Yikes, I forgot they had Carlisle. One of the slowest tempos ever with the Pacers a few years back...

MasonBuzz3
07-23-2009, 01:43 AM
They don't want to sign a multi-year deal to play in Cleveland when they know James will be gone after the next season.

Now, Mason Buzz has promised his yearly salary that James will stay in Cleveland.

the free agents that the Cavs had targeted to sign, that singed w/ other teams had little to do with Lebron. Villanueva was the teams top target, but DET offered him the sun and the moon. Artest simply choose the city of LA over Cleveland, with a heavy influence of his music career. Interest in Ariza developed late in the game, but he wanted to be assured of starting and the Cavs could not offer that w/ Delonte West at the 2. So I doubt anyone can assert Lebron's future to the lack of signing those guys.

However, the resigning of Anderson was greatly influenced by the belief that Lebron will at least sign for 3 years. Those two are good friends and work well on the court. Also, Mr. Ferry proved his intelligence by waiting and getting both Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon for what Ariza would have cost. So far it has been Ben Wallace, Sasha Pavlovic, Wally Szcerbiak for Shaq, Parker, Moon and still the BAE. Quietly the 2nd best off-season, to those damn Spurs, in the NBA.

All indications are that Bron will resign, but he is waiting for official number of the 2010-2011 salary to make his decision to extend or re-sign. Has until June 30, 2010...so dont expect anything soon, i would say all-star break-ish if anytime during the season

texasdave
07-23-2009, 09:59 AM
All indications are that Bron will resign, but he is waiting for official number of the 2010-2011 salary to make his decision to extend or re-sign. Has until June 30, 2010...so dont expect anything soon, i would say all-star break-ish if anytime during the season

If he is going to resign then what is the purpose in waiting for the numbers? Is his delay in signing going to cause those numbers to go up? No. If he is going to stay in Cleveland then what would be best for the team, and in turn for Lebron, is that he sign as soon as possible. He is going to receive max dollars in any case. By signing now he removes the doubt from any potential free agent that the Cavs deal with. He takes that question mark out of the equation. If truly intends to stay in Cleveland he would have signed already.

RBA
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
So that means Ariza is gone for sure. What about Odom? Probably lose him too I would imagine.

Lamar Odom signs with Lakers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4367213

4 years worth up to $33 million

BuckeyeRed27
07-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Lamar Odom signs with Lakers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4367213

4 years worth up to $33 million

Good for the Lakers. Thought for sure he was Miami bound.

Kingspoint
08-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Basketball is a simple game.

1. You either shoot a higher percentage than your opponent, or...

2. You take more shots than your opponent.

Anything that helps you accomplish either of those two is a positive move.

During the Bulls championships seasons, their philosophy was geared towards #2.

Revering4Blue
08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Spurs GM R.C. Buford (right) made one of the steals of the summer in landing Richard Jefferson.

Spurs reign supreme among the haves of the league

By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst
Posted Aug 8 2009 1:43PM

So, what was this offseason about in the NBA?

The rich getting richer, that's what. The defending champions lost nothing and gained Ron Artest, getting younger, deeper and more talented. The runners-up lost Hedo Turkoglu, but more than made up for it.

All over the league, the elites fortified themselves while their lessers fought for scraps. The Eastern Conference gained more traction in its tug-of-war with the West. The sour economy and the lack of much salary cap room this summer conspired to make movement slow for most, with players like Allen Iverson and David Lee waiting for the dam to burst and someone to come up with some cash. Money has now, unfortunately, created a class system in the NBA. It's clear that those with means can stay strong, while those without have to wait their turn. That cleaves the league nicely into five categories:

The Haves (Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Cavaliers, Mavericks, Trail Blazers)

The Middle Class (Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Hawks, Nuggets, Jazz, Rockets, 76ers)

The Holders (Bulls, Knicks, Heat)

The Folders (Timberwolves, Grizzlies, Bucks, Kings, Bobcats, Nets)

The Dreamers (Clippers, Hornets, Pacers, Warriors, Thunder, Suns)

In grading each team's offseason, the financial divide has to be taken into account. The Lakers simply have more money than a lot of teams, which makes their offseason that much easier. If Miami had offered Lamar Odom the same amount of money that Los Angeles did, he might be on South Beach right now. But Miami couldn't, and Los Angeles knew it, so L.A. could afford to wait for L.O. to come to its number. That's an advantage. But it doesn't mean the teams with less can't be productive, as you'll see below with teams like Indiana.

I grade teams on their entire offseason -- the Draft, free agency, trades, coaching changes, new ownership, new arenas, anything that has impacted or will impact rosters. But it's kind of graded on a curve because of the money disparities. Once again: This is not a predicted order of finish for next season, only one guy's evaluation of what's transpired between the end of each team's season and now.

Here are The Haves. For the others, click on the links above.
The haves

These are the teams that feel they have a legitimate shot at a championship, and acted accordingly, throwing money around like they were Mr. Monopoly (or, more accurately, given the business arrangements of the pro sports leagues, Mr. Cartel). They have high payrolls and don't care about paying the salary tax next season if the payoff is the Commish handing them the Larry O'Brien Trophy next June.

SAN ANTONIO

DA's Offseason Rank: No. 1

Last season: 54-28, first place, Southwest; Lost in first round of playoffs.

Added: F Richard Jefferson (trade with Milwaukee), F/C Antonio McDyess (free agent, Detroit; three years, $15 million), C Theo Ratliff (free agent, Philadelphia; one year, $1.3 million), F DeJuan Blair (second-round draft pick)

Lost: F Bruce Bowen (traded to Milwaukee), F/C Kurt Thomas (traded to Milwaukee), F/C Fabricio Oberto (traded to Milwaukee), F Drew Gooden (signed with Dallas)

Retained: None

The key man: C Ian Mahinmi. Any chance that a post-Tim Duncan era will amount to squat depends on whether the 22-year-old Mahinmi is ready for prime time.

The skinny: Incredible work by GM R.C. Buford to retool a still-good team and make it a contender again. The Jefferson deal is this offseason's version of the Gasol Heist of '08; with RJ on the floor the Spurs aren't held hostage by Manu Ginobili's deteriorating body parts -- though a healthy Manu is the key to a potential title run. Bad knees or not, Blair was a great second-round pickup, and McDyess classes up any locker room.

L.A. LAKERS

DA's Offseason Rank: No. 2

Last season: 65-17, first place, Pacific; Won NBA championship.

Added: F Ron Artest (free agent, Houston; five years, $33 million)

Lost: F Trevor Ariza (signed with Houston)

Retained: G Shannon Brown (two years, $4.2 million), F Lamar Odom (four years, $33 million)

The key man: C Andrew Bynum. If he can stay on the court for a full season, the Lakers are close to unbeatable.

The skinny: Essentially trading Artest for Ariza makes sense; L.A.'s championship window is wide open. When Artest isn't the Alpha Male in the locker room, things go much better, and Kobe is still the top dog. With Odom back in the fold, a summer off from international play, increased confidence in his teammates and with Artest around to guard the West's best twos and threes, Bryant should be even more lethal next season.

BOSTON

DA's Offseason Rank: No. 3

Last season: 62-20, first place, Atlantic; Lost in second round of playoffs.

Added: F/C Rasheed Wallace (free agent, Detroit; two years, $11.6 million), Marquis Daniels (free agent, Indiana)

Lost: F Leon Powe

The key man: C Kendrick Perkins. He's the glue to Boston's halfcourt defense, and showed he could handle a little more of the offensive load after Garnett went down. But chronic shoulder problems are a concern.

The skinny: The 6-foot-10 Wallace makes the Celtics the Lakers East -- potentially huge in the frontcourt alongside the 6-foot-11 Garnett and Perkins (6-foot-10). They can send defenders from all angles, and their length will make passing out of the double team difficult. Daniels will be a solid backup for Rajon Rondo. Garnett has been a maniac this summer, recovering from the knee injury that kept him out of the playoffs. When he's back, Boston's back.

ORLANDO

DA's Offseason Rank: No. 4

Last season: 59-23, first place, Southeast; Lost in NBA Finals.

Added: G Vince Carter (trade with New Jersey), F Ryan Anderson (trade with New Jersey). F Brandon Bass (free agent, Dallas; four years, $18 million), F Matt Barnes (free agent, Phoenix; two years, $3.8 million)

Lost: F Hedo Turkoglu (sign-and-trade with Toronto), G Courtney Lee (traded to New Jersey), F/C Tony Battie (traded to New Jersey), G Rafer Alston (traded to New Jersey)

Retained C Marcin Gortat (matched five year, $33 million offer sheet from Mavericks)

The key man: G Jameer Nelson. He has to return to All-Star form quickly if the Magic are going to contend for the East's best record.

The skinny: Can't believe so many people are down on Carter. He can still play, he can run a lot of the screen-roll action that Turkoglu ran and he's a career 79 percent free throw shooter. Who would you rather have with the ball in his hands at the end of a game -- Carter or Dwight (.601 career FT) Howard? Anderson, Bass and Barnes give the Magic one of the league's deepest benches. Considering they lost a key starter and team leader in Turkoglu, it wasn't a bad summer at all.

CLEVELAND

DA's Offseason Rank: No. 7

Last season: 66-16, first place, Central; Lost in Eastern Conference finals.

Added: C Shaquille O'Neal (trade with Phoenix), G Anthony Parker (free agent, Toronto; two years, $6 million), F Jamario Moon (free agent, Miami; two years, $6 million)

Lost: F/C Ben Wallace (traded to Phoenix), G Sasha Pavlovic (traded to Phoenix)

Retained: F Anderson Varejao (six years, $50 million)

The key man: Owner Dan Gilbert. GM Danny Ferry has built a championship-caliber team around James, but James's relationship with Gilbert -- the only person that LeBron has to call the boss -- will be a key factor in James' stay-or-go decision after this season.

The skinny: For the first time in his career; LeBron will have to learn to play off of someone else; he's never had a low-post option before, and even at 37, Shaq still commands respect. How long will it take James to adjust? Can the 6-foot-8 Moon guard the Paul Pierces and Rashard Lewises in the East? He'll have to, after the Cavs failed to get Trevor Ariza, Ron Artest, Charlie Villanueva or Shawn Marion.

DALLAS

DA's Offseason Rank: No. 9

Last season: 50-32, third place, Southwest; Lost in second round of playoffs.

Added: F Shawn Marion (sign-and-trade with Toronto), F Kris Humprhies (trade with Toronto), F Quinton Ross (free agent, Memphis), G Rod Beaubois (first-round pick), F Drew Gooden (free agent, San Antonio; one year, $4.5 million), F Tim Thomas (free agent, Chicago; one year, $1.3 million)

Lost: G Jerry Stackhouse (traded to Memphis)

Retained: G Jason Kidd (three years, $25 million)

The key man: F Josh Howard. The Mavs go from good to great when he goes from good to great.

The skinny: Missed out on a higher grade when Orlando decided to match the offer sheet on Marcin Gortat, but otherwise, Dallas did pretty well. The Mavs will be smaller, but much more athletic, now able to put the likes of Marion, Howard, Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry on the court together. Not sure that will get them much further in the Playoffs, but the fun-'n-gun days should be back at American Airlines Center.

PORTLAND

DA's Offseason Rank: No. 11

Last season: 54-28, second place, Northwest; Lost in first round of playoffs.

Added: G Andre Miller (free agent, Philadelphia; three years, $21 million)

Lost: G Sergio Rodriguez (traded to Sacramento), F Channing Frye (signed with Phoenix)

The key man: C Greg Oden. He is telling people he's happy again after a morose rookie season. Let's hope so. Oden is too young to put so much pressure on himself, and he's far too much fun and interesting to sulk through the world.

The skinny: Swung and missed on Turkoglu and Utah's Paul Milsap, but salvaged the summer by picking up the 33-year-old Miller for less than half of what they would have spent on Hedo and $10 million less than they offered Milsap. Miller's still got some game and he'll be an upgrade at the point. Portland's kids just need to get a little more postseason experience.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/08/07/haves/index.html