PDA

View Full Version : Blame Me, Reds Fans, Blame Me

Edskin
06-24-2009, 12:15 AM
So here's the deal: I've purchased MLB Extra Innings every year since 1999...and before each years begins I tell myself I'm not going to do it until they prove to me that they are worthy of my viewership :) Obviously, every year, I break down and do it anyway.

This year, I stuck to my guns. With a new baby having arrived in February and the Cavs taking up a major chunk of my sports viewing during the spring, I decided to just go with the MLB.TV package...

But I quickly found it's not the same.

See, our CP is in my office, so if I want to watch games, I need to totally put myself on an island from the rest of the family for 3+ hours per night-- this was not going over well, and I was not watching many of the games from that spot.

We have a wireless laptop, but it's totally hit or miss with the MLB stream-- about a 50/50 shot on getting it to work properly and almost no shot to get it work for an entire game. Plus, the video and audio stunk.

I found there was just no subsitute for the good ole' TV.

But I figured I'd made my decision this year and that was that-- gonna have to live with the inconsistencies of MLB.TV

But then Father's Day arrived. You can see photos of my favorite gift in the Father's Day thread on the Non-Baseball board, but in addition to the sweet, my wife also wanted to give me something practical. She gave me two options:

1. A Bluetooth (I really need one for my work)
2. A new radio/cd player for my work truck (the old one was stolen way back in October and I've been driving in silence ever since and I HATE it)

I was pretty excited about my two options, but then my brain got in the way.

I came up with a third....MLB Extra Innings. She laughed and said "it's your gift..."

But the half season pricing doesn't kick in until July 16th. So, I could have waited until then to get $60 off, or just bite the bullet and pay in full even though we're closing in on halfway through the season.

I did it. I chose option #3.

This decision I made, of course, ends the Reds season right here. Tonight was my first game this year with EI and we officially dropped below .500 for the first time in a long time. Two weeks from today, we'll be 10 games out and I'll be cussing myself while trying to hold my cellphone as I reach for the radio that does not exsist.

It's my fault gang...I have personally ensured a total collapse.

WVRedsFan
06-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Hey Ed...

It wasn't you that thought that Homer was going to become Cy Young or Bob Gibson, so a trade for a proven hitter was not the thing to do, that Willy Taveras was going to hit .290 and steal 100 bases, that Jerry Hairston, Jr. was going to repeat 2009, or Mike Lincoln was going to be lights out in the bullpen. You can look in the mirror and feel good about it. The wizard that Walt Jocketty was (and is) had a brain (insert name for gasseous emmision here) and became a bean counter. I have a feeling that this will change now. Or else...

RedFanAlways1966
06-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Way to go, Ed. I'm thinking the ORG should consider trading you to the Minor League Forum for a PTBNL (poster to be named later). However, like Corey Patterson and Wily Taveras, we will probably keep you in the lineup and keep hoping you have that breakout post that sends the REDS to the playoffs.

:)

smith288
06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I bought the iPhone MLB At Bat app last night... After that, they came back and made it close. That has to count for something.

RedlegJake
06-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Ed. I've decided I AM going to blame you. You after all, are a much fresher topic than Willie T or Dustification or lack of offense. I may make a new thread "Edskin totally stinks and needs to be traded to the Brewers board because of his low OBP (on base posts)"

:D

LvJ
06-24-2009, 01:33 PM
It's pretty much time for a sacrifice. Just like your wife, I'll give you a few options...

A. Stoned to Death
B. Pushed into a Firey Pit
B. Stabbed to Death

Your choice bro :)

RED VAN HOT
06-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Ed, rest easy. It's not you, it's me. As soon as I become emotionally invested in the outcome of a game, some evil force pokes me in the heart with a cattle prod. Last week I watched four games in which the team I was rooting for failed to hold a ninth inning lead. That can't be chance. It's personal. For the good of the team I am trying to be indifferent to Reds success.

Edskin
06-24-2009, 09:49 PM
The Reds won't spend one more day above .500 this season....book it :)

*BaseClogger*
06-24-2009, 09:51 PM
I was born in 1990. We haven't won a World Series since then. Coincidence? I think not! :cool:

Homer Bailey
06-25-2009, 12:24 AM
I was born in 1990. We haven't won a World Series since then. Coincidence? I think not! :cool:

Well the 1990 season is what hooked me in. It has not been worth what this decade has been.

Blitz Dorsey
06-25-2009, 12:32 AM
OK, good. It was getting too easy to blame Alex Gonzalez and Willy Taveras -- aka the Dynamic Duo. Now we really know who has messed this season up.

I still think Danny Graves is to blame somehow, but I can't prove it.

VR
06-25-2009, 12:50 AM
It's pretty much time for a sacrifice. Just like your wife, I'll give you a few options...

A. Stoned to Death
B. Pushed into a Firey Pit
B. Stabbed to Death

Your choice bro :)

Those are mild.....his punishment clearly should be the mandate to watch every pitch of every game for the rest of the season. He'll be wishing he was 'stoned' to death.

WVRedsFan
06-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Well the 1990 season is what hooked me in. It has not been worth what this decade has been.

We're getting close to two decades, Homer.

camisadelgolf
06-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Ugh, it's all youre fault.

Big Klu
06-25-2009, 04:08 AM
I prefer to blame Bob Boone.

Ron Madden
06-25-2009, 04:38 AM
I prefer to blame Bob Boone.

Yea, Bob Boone, Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey JR. it's gotta be them!!!!

;)

RFS62
06-25-2009, 06:15 AM
I think we all know who to blame in Ed's family. His goat, Vinnie. Ed's been taking the rap for him for a long time now.

That critter is evil, I tell ya.

Edskin
07-30-2009, 07:26 PM
11-22 since I purchased the package. Told ya so.

Raisor
07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Like we needed an excuse to blame you.

GAC
07-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I've got news for you Ed.....

We've been blaming you for years! :D

11larkin11
07-30-2009, 08:13 PM

I was born in March of 91, so at least you were here for the WS haha.

Edskin
07-30-2009, 11:03 PM
I just find it ironic that we can play .500 ball for two and a half months and then when I decide to make a financial committment in addition to my never-ending emotional one, we absolutely tank. I am 100% convinced that we'd still be at least .500 had I not done that.

BCubb2003
07-30-2009, 11:36 PM
"Well, you can't fire the players."

RFS62
07-31-2009, 12:10 AM
11-22 since I purchased the package. Told ya so.

"Well, you can't fire the players."

Well, Ed. Talk is cheap. You got us into this, it's time for you to get us out of it.

It's time for you and Vinnie to step up and take one for the team.

http://www.jackmauldin.com/goat_recipes.htm