PDA

View Full Version : It's All down hill from here.

bgwilly31
06-24-2009, 05:42 PM
So we finally dipped below .500.

And you know, i see this team as a success already. I think were atleast heading the right direction. And im happy to see that and excited for next year. At least hoping that we make the moves that are obviously needed to make this team a contender.

But as for this season. I fear its over boys. Were below .500, and after this bluejays and indians series we will be at least 3 games under .500 and 6 games out.

Sure we have arizona after that but after arizona the stretch to the break is brutal and we could be WAY out of it by the all-star break.

By the all-star break i see us 41-46 and 7-8 games out. And were just not returning from that.

Anybody else have any predictions for our record by the all-star break>?

BluegrassRedleg
06-24-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not waving the white flag just yet, but something has to give soon. Take a look at the July schedule. It will make or break this club.

bgwilly31
06-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I looked at it the finishing stretch the end of the of the 1st half and i had enough.

mlh1981
06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Noone else in the NL Central is playing inspiring baseball. We aren't that far out, even though we haven't played very well lately.

Ghosts of 1990
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
This team stopped being fun to watch long ago. That's including Jay Bruce... miserable season for him.

will5979
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
This team stopped being fun to watch long ago. That's including Jay Bruce... miserable season for him.

True, May was GREAT while it lasted...

redram
06-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Yep it's sad when you get down by a couple of runs and feel the game is over. And let's face it, the pitching has been pretty bad as of late as well. We lost our mojo I am afraid.

Shawn_RedsFan
06-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Yep it's sad when you get down by a couple of runs and feel the game is over. And let's face it, the pitching has been pretty bad as of late as well. We lost our mojo I am afraid.

the pitching will get back to how it was, this pitching is tops in the league just going through a rough patch right now

bounty37h
06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
F next year, I am tired of freaking next year, every year.

tobttr
06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
As a long-suffering Reds fan, I don't really know if I'm just trying to find the pony in the middle of the manure pile or if there really is some cause for optimism.
Last year the last time Cincy visited the .500 mark was when they were 6-6. This year it is, at least for now, 34-34. So in my mind that does constitute improvement. But like most of you forumers, I'm still frustrated by the lack of production from a bunch of guys from whom I expected better. And that's on both sides, position players & pitchers.
Finally, there are still 90+ games to play this season, so who knows? But I'm not exactly betting the ranch on any postseason activity.

swaisuc
06-25-2009, 11:41 AM
the pitching will get back to how it was, this pitching is tops in the league just going through a rough patch right now

Unfortunately, I just can't agree with this. Three problems with counting on the pitching improving...
1. Volquez setback
2. Cueto can't really do any better than his 1st half
3. One of the veteran pitchers will likely be traded

I'm just not seeing where the improvement will come from unless Homer figures it all out very quickly.

BlastFurnace
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
To me, a .500 season for the Reds is a success this season. Other than Phillips and Votto, their starting linup is absolutely pathetic. It's turning around, but it's going to be a slow turn.

mivers176
06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
True, May was GREAT while it lasted...

x3

Early on I was excited to get home from work and tune into to FSN OH while listening on the radio...now the offense just bores me to death and if they get down by more than 1 run early, might as well forget it. As much as I hate to sound so down on it, I think its only reality - that run when the pitching was healthy and the offense was clicking sure was fun but both have came to a screeching halt.

Here are some ugly numbers from our current lineup (min 100 ab)

Rosales 126ab .198 avg
Nix 154ab .253 avg
A.Gonzo 182ab .214 avg
Hairston 204ab .245 avg
Hernandez 224ab .237 avg
Taveras 227ab .220 avg
Bruce 249ab .213 avg

Combined avg for these 7 guys who get (or got when uninjured) the majority of the PT and at bats is a measly .230 Its almost embarassing.

BLEEDS
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
x3

Early on I was excited to get home from work and tune into to FSN OH while listening on the radio...now the offense just bores me to death and if they get down by more than 1 run early, might as well forget it. As much as I hate to sound so down on it, I think its only reality - that run when the pitching was healthy and the offense was clicking sure was fun but both have came to a screeching halt.

Here are some ugly numbers from our current lineup (min 100 ab)

Rosales 126ab .198 avg
Nix 154ab .253 avg
A.Gonzo 182ab .214 avg
Hairston 204ab .245 avg
Hernandez 224ab .237 avg
Taveras 227ab .220 avg
Bruce 249ab .213 avg

Combined avg for these 7 guys who get (or got when uninjured) the majority of the PT and at bats is a measly .230 Its almost embarassing.

Agree 100%, except with the bolded part. Not sure what we can take away from it that requires use of that adjective... ;)

What is even more troubling is that the majority of these guys - Taveras, Hairston, and Gonzo - get almost 99% of their AB's batting leadoff or 2nd.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bgwilly31
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
One major key for success of this reds franchise is bruce.

Mainly because i think Bruce is destined to be a red for the rest of his career.

But if someone doesnt grab this dude by both ears and slap him around tell him to listen up and teach him how to perform a decent AB at the plate. Patience, keep your weight back, Go with the pitch.

Bruce has seriously been pathetic at the plate. I literally saw him once swing at a ball that hit the GRASS! I mean cmon.

And its like your watching someone crazy. Because he makes no adjustments. He just continues to go up to the plate with the same DUMB mindset. Which makes it terribly HARD TO BELIEVE that any coaches are even trying to teach this kid something.

bgwilly31
06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
One stat i heard the other night about taveras.

He hasnt got a BB in his last 18 games!:eek:

From a lead off guy that has to be close to some kind of record.

mivers176
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Agree 100%, except with the bolded part. Not sure what we can take away from it that requires use of that adjective... ;)

What is even more troubling is that the majority of these guys - Taveras, Hairston, and Gonzo - get almost 99% of their AB's batting leadoff or 2nd.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I actually didnt intend for that to be bolded, my bad - its DEFINITELY embarassing :)

stevekun
06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!

Thought we would see this kind of thread YET AGAIN...WHEN the reds get back to over .500 i want to see you guys come back and eat your crow. Every team has its slumps and tough stretches...we will be fine guys.

Oxblood
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
To me, firing Dumpy Baker would make this a successful season.

WILD THING
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Thought we would see this kind of thread YET AGAIN...WHEN the reds get back to over .500 i want to see you guys come back and eat your crow. Every team has its slumps and tough stretches...we will be fine guys.

I agree. I'm not getting down on this team yet. Thankfully we're still in a division where we can make a push at winning it depending on what we do about acquiring a RH bat and getting back to full health. Its been a rough stretch, but it could be a lot worse.

bounty37h
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Yeah seriosuly, fans coming to a fan board to discuss it when things arent going well, the nerve :rolleyes:

Shawn_RedsFan
06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah seriosuly, fans coming to a fan board to discuss it when things arent going well, the nerve :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter if this team is going bad or good the same people ALWAYS find something to complain about. Pathetic

bounty37h
06-25-2009, 03:12 PM
It doesn't matter if this team is going bad or good the same people ALWAYS find something to complain about. Pathetic

Yeah, I understand that, just thought it funny a dude with only 200 posts complaing about others on here. Its pretty much human nature when things go wrong, people complain, and there certainly is enough going wrong with the squad right now. I do understand there are a few that find joy in finding things wrong all the time, but I tend to just read over them when I see thier name most of the time anyway (I got grounded by RZ last time I didn't :).

FlyerFanatic
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM

do you expect people to sit around and act george grande like? everything is sunshine and rainbows? especially when we are losing? obviously there are people who will take stuff over the top, ie: trade everyone, season is done for. thats to be expected on an internet message board though.

i gotta say, i'm fascinated by how many people on this board want no negative talk really what so ever. for instance, willy taveras threads, have there been a lot? sure, but willy taveras being horrible ticks people off, they wanna post about it. yet, there are people who simply post, we should stop talking about willy taveras, ya he sucks, but he is what he is. i dont get it, so whenever someone is absolutely hurting the team, we should just forget about it and not discuss? i dont get it. if you think about it, most people who post are more likely to complain, if theres nothing to complain people wont feel the need to post.

not directing it at you, just overall some of the posters here tend to be that way.

schmidty622
06-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Reading this thread means football season isn't too far away...

Shawn_RedsFan
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM
do you expect people to sit around and act george grande like? everything is sunshine and rainbows? especially when we are losing? obviously there are people who will take stuff over the top, ie: trade everyone, season is done for. thats to be expected on an internet message board though.

i gotta say, i'm fascinated by how many people on this board want no negative talk really what so ever. for instance, willy taveras threads, have there been a lot? sure, but willy taveras being horrible ticks people off, they wanna post about it. yet, there are people who simply post, we should stop talking about willy taveras, ya he sucks, but he is what he is. i dont get it, so whenever someone is absolutely hurting the team, we should just forget about it and not discuss? i dont get it. if you think about it, most people who post are more likely to complain, if theres nothing to complain people wont feel the need to post.

not directing it at you, just overall some of the posters here tend to be that way.

I understand where you are coming from on this but the way I see it when the Reds were winning, we are still complaining about the negatives there is very RARELY a positive on this forum.

debra
06-25-2009, 03:42 PM
GO REDS GO!!!

texasdave
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I think the cumulative, crushing effect of losing season stacked upon losing season is the reason for more negative than positive posts. Even when things are going well, in the back of most fans' minds, we are waiting for the hammer to fall. Because it has fallen with such regularity for the past decade. If the Reds' were coming off eight straight winning seasons instead, the tenor of this board would be much more positive in nature IMO.

bgwilly31
06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I understand where you are coming from on this but the way I see it when the Reds were winning, we are still complaining about the negatives there is very RARELY a positive on this forum.

I saw plenty of positive threads when there were postive things to talk about.

I recall myself getting very excited for an upcoming 10 game stretch.

So i started a thread to hype everyone up and talk about the positives of what ifs on this 10 game stretch.

I think we ended 3-7 over that stretch.

bgwilly31
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
I think the cumulative, crushing effect of losing season stacked upon losing season is the reason for more negative than positive posts. Even when things are going well, in the back of most fans' minds, we are waiting for the hammer to fall. Because it has fallen with such regularity for the past decade. If the Reds' were coming off eight straight winning seasons instead, the tenor of this board would be much more positive in nature IMO.

Exactly right.

Just as this season will go. The reds fooled a lot of us into thinking this team might be a team that finishes 10-15 games over .500 earlier on, and compete for a playoff spot.

However i think most of us know. Chances of that are not looking good anymore.

So once again the reds have let us down.

tobttr
06-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Fair enough! If it matters at all to anybody, I saw my first Reds game in 58 in old Crosley Field and have been a fan ever since. So you have no idea how much I want to be wrong when I get the "here we go again" feeling.

Fon Duc Tow
06-25-2009, 04:37 PM

The Reds were winning? :eek:

When was that? :eek:

Last time I remember that happening was the 20th Century.

You can't mean individual games, because even the worst teams win at least 1/3rd of their games. So by "winning" I assume you mean playoffs. Unless you are one of those fans that are "happy with .500 ball and we'll get em next year." If you are one of those "fans" then I don't really have anything left to say.

The Reds usually suck, lets just be honest here. They spend right around the middle of the pack in MLB and that is exactly where they end up in the standings. They are a small market team in a league with no salary cap. Sure the Yankees can't buy a championship most years, but at least they can try. The Reds are limited to the Willy Tavaras's of the world and whoever they can develop in their farm system.

As a Cincinnati Sports Fan, I wish one of our professional teams would "throw me a freakin' bone man." I am so tired of rooting for losers. And like many others this side of George Grande, I come here to vent sometimes.

The Cincinnati Bengals have 1 winning season in the past 18 years. Do you go to Bengals Forums and complain about "all the negativity?" :confused:

REDSEER
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Don't give up yet. I'm not saying that the Reds will turn it around at all, because if they keep playing like they are right now then they are bound to be done in a few weeks.

But baseball is a funny game. Go ask the Rockies fans how they felt about their team (who has won 17 out of 20 to surge back into the playoff race) a month ago. I don't know if there is a "RockiesZone.com," but I'm sure there were plenty of threads like this one before the firing of Clint Hurdle.

Stay positive; it makes being a fan of baseball so much more fun :D

Shawn_RedsFan
06-25-2009, 04:49 PM
The Reds were winning? :eek:

When was that? :eek:

Last time I remember that happening was the 20th Century.

You can't mean individual games, because even the worst teams win at least 1/3rd of their games. So by "winning" I assume you mean playoffs. Unless you are one of those fans that are "happy with .500 ball and we'll get em next year." If you are one of those "fans" then I don't really have anything left to say.

The Reds usually suck, lets just be honest here. They spend right around the middle of the pack in MLB and that is exactly where they end up in the standings. They are a small market team in a league with no salary cap. Sure the Yankees can't buy a championship most years, but at least they can try. The Reds are limited to the Willy Tavaras's of the world and whoever they can develop in their farm system.

As a Cincinnati Sports Fan, I wish one of our professional teams would "throw me a freakin' bone man." I am so tired of rooting for losers. And like many others this side of George Grande, I come here to vent sometimes.

The Cincinnati Bengals have 1 winning season in the past 18 years. Do you go to Bengals Forums and complain about "all the negativity?" :confused:

Well first off I'm a Dolphins fan :p: lol.

And I also think you took my comments the wrong way, I complain too and I DO get sick of this team having losing season after losing season but this year has the potential to be different. I mean come on look at our division no one is running away with it at the moment and we are FINALLY hitting our bad stretch. With SOME of the players we have been playing on a day to day basis we are lucky we are not dead last in the division, saying that it shows that this years' team has the potential to make a serious run with 1 or 2 moves.

Ghosts of 1990
06-25-2009, 06:33 PM
I just keep telling myself it's a marathon and not a sprint this baseball season in which we love. There are sooo many high's and lows and right now we're just going through a really low time. The lack of offense is killing my enthusiasm. Makes me long for the days of Adam Dunn, Edwin, and even Griffey.

fugowitribe
06-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Just one game below .500 after Joey V. blows up in Toronto. I don't know what you guys think, but Votto is the horse we need to ride into a .500 record by the break. I want to see a playoff game just as much as the next guy, but Joey can only do so much without any kind of protection.

swaisuc
06-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Don't give up yet. I'm not saying that the Reds will turn it around at all, because if they keep playing like they are right now then they are bound to be done in a few weeks.

But baseball is a funny game. Go ask the Rockies fans how they felt about their team (who has won 17 out of 20 to surge back into the playoff race) a month ago. I don't know if there is a "RockiesZone.com," but I'm sure there were plenty of threads like this one before the firing of Clint Hurdle.

Stay positive; it makes being a fan of baseball so much more fun :D

This is probably the main reason I'm still optimistic at all this season. Anyone trying to find a logical or statistical reason why we'll make the playoffs, good luck. Thankfully for the Reds, sometimes this game defies all reason. If you don't like this year's Rockies as an example, just check out 2007's version.

defender
06-26-2009, 03:46 PM
The Reds are in a nice spot right now. After a bad stretch, just 1 game below .500 and only 3.5 games out of first. They just got Votto back and now are going to play 2 last place teams. Then play 6 straight series against playoff contenders. They don't need any miracle winning streaks, just play above .500 and they are legitimately still in the race.

cbowen2112
06-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Maybe .500 and 2.5 back will change the original posters mind?

bgwilly31
06-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Im still on my original thought.

Them taking two out of three from the last place indians isnt swaying my thoughts. However i was happy to see them put som runs on the board two games straight.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Personally, I think I'm convinced we're a definition of a .500 team, and thats an improvement over the last several years. I was ticked after Friday night, but it seems we'll always get a little bit of momentum and it blows up in our face. If we can start reeling off W's and not give them back with 4 game losing streaks, then we're in this race.

jmac
06-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Plus Bruce "just may" be coming around and hopefully Dusty will continue with at least a platoon of CF. Notice I said at least.
Votto/Dickerson and Bruce hitting adds alot to this offense compared to what we had. Now maybe EE can add some shortly.

BLEEDS
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Im still on my original thought.

Them taking two out of three from the last place indians isnt swaying my thoughts. However i was happy to see them put som runs on the board two games straight.

Agree wholeheartedly here.

It is good to see Gomes continuing to get starts in LF.
Right now, we have a decent lineup against LHP.

What we need is people who can hit RHP. Votto and Bruce are key to that.

Also, hopefully Dickerson can continue to get the starts in CF/LF versus RHP. He's ridiculously hot right now, amazing what playing everyday can do for a guy's consistency.

As far as "down hill" is concerned, I'd totally disagree.
It's all UP HILL from this point.
Our July schedule is BRUTAL.
After Arizona, and before we go to San Diego - where we also seem to never have a good trip - we play a bunch of 1st and 2nd place teams, and 3 at the Cubs who are right on our butts.
July will make or break us, but if we are going well, it will also hinge on what we do - or don't do - by July 31 Trade Deadline as well. The other teams you know will be making moves.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bgwilly31
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe .500 and 2.5 back will change the original posters mind?

Turning it around ehhh. Looked pretty similiar to downhill motion from last night.

Good grief.

texasdave
07-01-2009, 02:04 PM
I always thought it would be smarter, if possible, to pick up stretch-run pieces at the end of June instead of waiting until the end of July. First, if a player is gonna help you for two months, wouldn't it be better if he is helping you for three months? Seems logical.
Second, if your team has a crappy July and you find yourself sellers at that point, then turn around and move that player to another team. If he can help your team it seems likely that he could help another contender - especially pitching. Will you pay a little more for a three-month rental? Of course, but I can't imagine that the difference between a two-month rental and a three-month rental is that severe. Most importantly, if having that player for an extra month makes the playoffs more likely, go for it. Remember, the year picks you. You don't pick the year.

Or you could sit on your hands like Uncle Walt is doing.

bgwilly31
07-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Were sellers this year man, i hate to break it to ya. Either that or nothing.

I hope we dont end up being sellers and sell or trade away our talent that we do have and then set this 20 yr Building project to 22 yrs.

bgwilly31
07-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Good god enough with the teeball baserunning mistakes.

Jaybruce in the 7th last night is one of who knows how many this year bonehead plays out on the base paths this year by the reds.

:thumbdown

BTW i must have missed this. i heard rosales was sent down, but who and why is this Danny richar. and why in the world is he up here playing over ADAM ROSALES>

This team is a joke.

freestyle55
07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Not exactly sure why Richar's up here (he had been hitting well lately in Louisville, guess he provides backup ability at several spots), but pretty much anyone would hit better than Rosales right now. He was down to .197 before he was sent down and was showing that he's not quite ready for the big leagues...

texasdave
07-02-2009, 12:19 PM
If the Reds thought they had too many pitchers and wanted another position player to give them more in-game flexibility they should just come out and say so. But, once again, Dusty says something, IMO, stupid.

From Fay's blog:

--Jared Burton is not happy, well, actually he’s ticked off.

“I ain’t got nothing to say,” he said. "Talk to Dusty."

“I don’t want him to be happy,” Dusty Baker said. “If he’s mad at me, Dick (Pole) or Walt (Jocketty), pitch like it. He’ll be back.

“We have high hopes and big plans for him. Hopefully, this is a temporary thing.”

Admittedly, I don't get to see the Reds play live. I follow either on the radio or on the internet. But here are Burton's numbers for the month of June.

IP 12 1/3
H 11
ER 3
BB 5
K 8
HR 0
BAA .229
OBPA .315
SLGA .271
OPSA .586
ERA 2.19

They look pretty solid to me. That is roughly akin to him making everyone he faced in June swing the bat like Willy Taveras. If the whole staff had those types of numbers the Reds could be printing up playoff tickets already.

Dusty must be a perfectionist.

Like I said, if the Reds wanted to switch out a position player for a pitcher, simply say so. Don't act like Burton hasn't been pitching well lately.

bgwilly31
07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I can agree with That. Those numbers are definitely solid!

As for richar over Rosales. The fans even batting.197 still love rosales. He still at least brings enthusiasm to the team from the bench.

Rosales should be up. Not this richar guy. richar is 1 for 6. Thats batting .167. Worse than rosales anyway:)

If the Reds thought they had too many pitchers and wanted another position player to give them more in-game flexibility they should just come out and say so. But, once again, Dusty says something, IMO, stupid.

From Fay's blog:

Admittedly, I don't get to see the Reds play live. I follow either on the radio or on the internet. But here are Burton's numbers for the month of June.

IP 12 1/3
H 11
ER 3
BB 5
K 8
HR 0
BAA .229
OBPA .315
SLGA .271
OPSA .586
ERA 2.19

They look pretty solid to me. That is roughly akin to him making everyone he faced in June swing the bat like Willy Taveras. If the whole staff had those types of numbers the Reds could be printing up playoff tickets already.

Like I said, if the Reds wanted to switch out a position player for a pitcher, simply say so. Don't act like Burton hasn't been pitching well lately.

tobttr
07-02-2009, 01:26 PM

As for richar over Rosales. The fans even batting.197 still love rosales. He still at least brings enthusiasm to the team from the bench.

Rosales should be up. Not this richar guy. richar is 1 for 6. Thats batting .167. Worse than rosales anyway:)

While I love Rosales' approach to the game, I have a tough time believing that the fans would rather see an enthusiastic player strike out with the bases loaded than see an ordinarily motivated one hit a sac fly to bring in a run.
And let's give Richar a little bit of a chance at least. If he goes 1 for 4, he'll be at .200, which is better than Rosales.
Completely agree with you about Burton.

BLEEDS
07-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Uh yeah, perfectly ingorantly bliss...

I don't get it either, he must be fast, since Dusty will bring up any fast guy who can't bat over .200.
We can only hope he was brought in as an emergency 2nd base option for BP ?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bgwilly31
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
While I love Rosales' approach to the game, I have a tough time believing that the fans would rather see an enthusiastic player strike out with the bases loaded than see an ordinarily motivated one hit a sac fly to bring in a run.
And let's give Richar a little bit of a chance at least. If he goes 1 for 4, he'll be at .200, which is better than Rosales.
Completely agree with you about Burton.

Richar is a nobody.

Rosales at least had some Shining moments. This richar guy looks like he can barely hit it out of the infield power wise.

Rosales was slumping there's no doubt about it. Im not saying he should be starting the way he was playing. But throwing him back in exchange for richar i dont get at all.

bgwilly31
07-02-2009, 04:11 PM
BTW who else is tired of paul janish.

I know a lot of you around here likes to ride his jockstrap but seriously.

This guy CAN"T hit. And on this team he is just dead weight. He's another one of those reds regulars that shouldnt even be in the MLB right now.

bgwilly31
07-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Coming off two wins and i still have no confidence in this team and this final stretch.

I really hope im surprised.