PDA

View Full Version : Volquez Worse than expected!

Mario-Rijo
06-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Didn't see this anywhere, kind of bothersome!

DDN (http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/volquez-injury-worse-than-believed-176883.html)

Reds Notes
Volquez injury worse than believed
By Hal McCoy
Staff Writer

Updated 1:32 AM Thursday, June 25, 2009
TORONTO — Edinson Volquez, a 17-game winner for the Cincinnati Reds last year but only a four-game winner so far this season, won’t be seeking a fifth win until after the All-Star break.

He and the Reds received the disturbing news Wednesday that inflammation remains in his forearm and that his throwing program has been put on hold until further notice.

Volquez had planned to pitch off a mound this week, but a second MRI revealed the inflammation and medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek shut him down. Another examination is scheduled for Tuesday.

“The second MRI revealed there still is a significant amount of swelling,” said trainer Mark Mann. “The first MRI was not the clearest because of swelling, which is why we followed up with a second MRI before we’d let him advance to the mound.”

The inflammation is in the forearm muscle where it attaches to the muscle and while manager Dusty Baker said he was told there is some sort of partial tear, there is no ligament damage.

“When you are talking about a starting pitcher and the time he has missed off the mound (he last pitched June 1), then when you talk about side and bullpen sessions and a rehab assignment, just to build his pitch count, I’d say, yes, you are looking beyond the All-Star break for his return,” said Mann.

“Guess things were a little more serious than anticipated,” said Baker. “It is not serious enough to operate. It’s not in the ligament.”

Taveras, Rosales sit

Baker tinkered with his lineup for Wednesday’s game, benching center fielder Willy Taveras and third baseman Adam Rosales in favor of Chris Dickerson in center (and leading off) and Danny Richar at third base.

And he’ll tinker some more for tonight’s game — Paul Janish at shortstop and Jerry Hairston Jr. at third base.

“Rosey (Rosales) has been struggling (4-48, .083) and I’m getting a lefthanded bat in there (Richar),” said Baker. “I’ll probably play Janish tomorrow. If they’re here, they are going to play.”

Taveras, batting .104 in his last 26 games, is on a program of extra hitting, “To find his rhythm. We’re going to the cage every day until he gets it. Some of the pressures he puts on himself are unnecessary, but it is a reality,” said Baker.

A rotation opening

It is ironic that when Homer Bailey gets his second chance this season Saturday, he gets a second chance at the Cleveland Indians, too.

Bailey made one start for the Reds and it was May 23 at home against the Indians and it was disastrous — 4 1/3 innings, six earned runs, three hits, six walks. He didn’t get the loss, but the Reds did, 7-6.

Bailey, 8-5 with a 2.71 ERA at Class AAA Louisville, has won five of his last six starts and pitched scoreless outings in three of the last five, giving up only one run in his last start.

With the news of Volquez’s expected prolonged absence, the Saturday start won’t be a one-shot deal.

Baker and the Reds aren’t anointing Bailey yet, but it is his turn Saturday. And Baker acknowledged that, “Yeah, whoever starts Saturday could get more than one. But whoever it is needs to give us some quality.”

A chance meeting

With everything surrounding Joey Votto and his stress/depression over his father’s death, Baker had a surreal event for lunch Wednesday.

A friend took Baker to lunch and it became an unbelievable coincidence. Lunch was at a place owned by former NHL player Shayne Corson. What Baker didn’t know until he talked to Corson was that he suffered stress and depression after his father died young. Corson left his team and missed a playoff game.

“He had anxiety,” said Baker. “I had a nice talk with him. That’s way coincidental, just happened. He told me his dad passed away at 42 or 45. It was almost like the meeting was planned, not by me. But it was planned by somebody.”

Quote of the day

An unusual heat wave is enveloping Toronto and pitcher Arthur Rhodes told Brandon Phillips he almost walked to lunch, but it was too hot, to which Phillips said, “Good thing you didn’t. You would have come back looking like a melted Hershey’s Kiss.”

cumberlandreds
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
You can probably thank the WBC for this injury. Shut him down for the season. This season is about cooked anyway. No need to risk further injury for a lost cause season.

Hilarious quote from Phillips!:D

redsfandan
06-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree on shutting him down for now but it's possible that Volquez could be back in Aug/Sept. I just don't want him rushed.

Great quote by Phillips. Kinda sounds like something I might say.:rolleyes:

Benihana
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I think shutting him down for the season at this point may be jumping the gun. Let's get him reevaluated in a couple of weeks and see where he stands. My guess is he comes back in early-to-mid August.

Regardless, Bailey is now in the rotation to stay. If Arroyo is moved, you can replace him with either Maloney or Lehr until EV comes back. I'd prefer to see a little bit more of Maloney, but who knows? Either way, it's safe to say the hope of contending this year is fading fast.

reds1869
06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
You can probably thank the WBC for this injury. Shut him down for the season. This season is about cooked anyway. No need to risk further injury for a lost cause season.

Hilarious quote from Phillips!:D

Why does everyone insist on blaming the WBC for injuries? There is absolutely no proof to back up those assertions and quite frankly they are counterintuitive--pitching occurs in spring training too, you know. Injuries are just as likely in spring training as they are at the WBC. Not to mention pitch limits: 65 per game for the prelims, 95 for the last two rounds.

wolfboy
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Why does everyone insist on blaming the WBC for injuries? There is absolutely no proof to back up those assertions and quite frankly they are counterintuitive--pitching occurs in spring training too, you know. Injuries are just as likely in spring training as they are at the WBC. Not to mention pitch limits: 65 per game for the prelims, 95 for the last two rounds.

It's not really proof, but I'm inclined to think that guys throw harder in the WBC than they would in spring training.

REDREAD
06-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I bet Volquez gets surgury.. This is such typical Reds/Doc Hollywood protocol.

At first, it's day to day.. then it becomes "more serious than expected". Then an ill advised short burst of playing time, and then the player goes to the operating table.

Just a hunch, but I'm expecting more bad news.

traderumor
06-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I bet Volquez gets surgury.. This is such typical Reds/Doc Hollywood protocol.

At first, it's day to day.. then it becomes "more serious than expected". Then an ill advised short burst of playing time, and then the player goes to the operating table.

Just a hunch, but I'm expecting more bad news.That is the way of it with professional sports. You test, intitial diagnosis rest, see if it gets better, run more tests if not, getting more invasive each time. There is better diagnostic equipment than ever before, but it is still true that you don't really know what is going on internally until you open someone up, which is always the last resort, still. I don't see it as unique to "Reds/Doc Hollywood protocol."

VR
06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Shame on any Reds fan who thinks this is 'worse than expected'. There is a significant issue with diagnosis or honesty within the organization. Neither of them are pleasing to Reds fans.

traderumor
06-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Shame on any Reds fan who thinks this is 'worse than expected'. There is a significant issue with diagnosis or honesty within the organization. Neither of them are pleasing to Reds fans.Speak for yourself, please.

Sea Ray
06-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I've never liked how Volquez twists his elbow as he rares back to throw a pitch. I think that's hard on the elbow. I see something similar in Homer Bailey

LINEDRIVER
06-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I wish I could remember who I saw on the MLB Channel talking about pitchers with elbow injuries and what can cause them to occur. Among the names, he mentioned that Volquez raises his elbow higher than his shoulder in his delivery and that usually leads to elbow problems. A few days later, Volquez had to leave the game.

Benihana
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I wish I could remember who I saw on the MLB Channel talking about pitchers with elbow injuries and what can cause them to occur. Among the names, he mentioned that Volquez raises his elbow higher than his shoulder in his delivery and that usually leads to elbow problems. A few days later, Volquez had to leave the game.

This is about Lotzkar, but you can use it for Volquez as well:

http://redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/2007/11/top-prospect-list-15-kyle-lotzkar-sp.html

PITCHING MECHANICS

In terms of mechanics, Lotzkar has two (potentially) disconcerting elements to his delivery. These two elements of his delivery may both prove to be problematic, but for different reasons.

1) In his delivery, after Lotzkar breaks his hands, he actually raises his "pitching arm side" (PAS) elbow above his shoulder before bringing the ball up into throwing position.

Raising the PAS elbow above the shoulder may increase the risk of a rotator cuff injury. As the shoulders rotate during the throwing motion, the PAS arm has to catch up to the rest of the body to keep the windup in sync, which can increase the strain on the pitching shoulder and rotator cuff.

The move is similar to that of Joel Zumaya, Anthony Reyes, and Aaron Heilman, each of whom raises his PAS elbow above shoulder level.

Degenerate39
06-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm guessing we'll see Bailey the rest of the year.

Benihana
06-25-2009, 03:35 PM

I agree, but I don't think that would change even if Volquez came back. Reds have to get a good read on Bailey, and the only way they can do that is by watching him in the rotation for the rest of the season.

VR
06-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Speak for yourself, please.

Unsolicited opinions they are not, facts are indeed right down broadway.

They set the standard with KGJ, and haven't wavered since.

Sea Ray
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM

I hope you're right because that'll mean he's improved. If he doesn't pitch any better in Cincinnati than he has in the past then he won't last the season.

I'm still skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it. I've never seen Homer Bailey look impressive. I don't see that a split finger pitch will bail him out. He needs pitches that are strikes that are hard to hit. The split finger helps put away a hitter after two strikes but I'm concerned about Homer ever getting to two strikes

Mario-Rijo
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM

That was Rick Peterson IIRC.

GAC
06-25-2009, 07:02 PM
I think they'll end up shutting the kid down for the remainder of the season. They can't be as stupid to risk further damage can they? Stay tuned.

Blitz Dorsey
06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Shocking I tell ya! After he threw 200 innings for the Reds last year ... then played in winter ball ... and then played in the WBC ... I can't imagine how Volquez could have damaged his arm.

Pretty disappointing because I think if the Reds had a pitching staff of (in order) Cueto, Volquez, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey (I like Owings in the pen) ... then we would be playoff bound IMO.

redsfandan
06-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Fwiw, I've already heard the word "Verducci" attached to Volquez. And I remember last fall Dusty received some flack for letting Volquez shoot for 20 wins. Now there's no way Dusty would be anyones choice for manager to trust your young pitchers with but I actually didn't have a problem with the push for 20 and still don't. Volquez finished '08 with 196 ip. Between the minors and majors Volquez had 178.2 ip in '07. That kind of increase in ip isn't a problem. But the problem with the stats is that they don't include winter ball or the WBC. So if you add winter ball to his '08 stats... then you have a problem. I don't know whose call it was to send him to winter ball but I just have to ask why? He had a great '08. Why push it?

membengal
06-26-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't know that it was anyone's call. I think Volquez wanted to pitch winter ball. I don't know if the Reds can forbid that or not. I suppose they can, but I don't know for certain.

REDREAD
06-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Shame on any Reds fan who thinks this is 'worse than expected'. There is a significant issue with diagnosis or honesty within the organization. Neither of them are pleasing to Reds fans.

Yep, I can't remember a time in recent history when a player got hurt and they just came out and said "We are going to rest him and see what happens, but it's probably going to result in surgery". It's always day to day, false hope that the player will be back in a couple days, then a couple weeks,etc. My guess is they don't want to risk hurting ticket sales.

It was pure malpractice allowing Jr to pinch hit when he could barely walk. Think of the potential damage that did to the franchise during the Jr era.. If they were conservative, Jr might've had a much more productive career.

Kearns' "blister" (which later needed surgery, and obviously was much more serious) is another example of the dishonesty that has been shown in the past.

REDREAD
06-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't know that it was anyone's call. I think Volquez wanted to pitch winter ball. I don't know if the Reds can forbid that or not. I suppose they can, but I don't know for certain.

It's tough to clearly lay the blame on winter ball or WBC too.
Plenty of other guys did the same thing and they didn't get hurt.
Maybe if he didn't pitch winter ball, the injury happens in August instead (or maybe it still happens at the same time).

I think the Reds handled him well. Pitchers are fragile, most have a relatively short shelf life compared to position players. That's just the way it goes.
Other clubs have similiar problems keeping all their pitchers healthy.

Chip R
06-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Yep, I can't remember a time in recent history when a player got hurt and they just came out and said "We are going to rest him and see what happens, but it's probably going to result in surgery". It's always day to day, false hope that the player will be back in a couple days, then a couple weeks,etc. My guess is they don't want to risk hurting ticket sales.

So, when someone gets hurt, you expect them to perform surgery right away, even if rest and rehab could solve the problem? Surgery is always a last resort. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but they always try to do whatever they can before they operate.

As for hurting ticket sales, I'm not sure that's possible.

nate
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM

It was pure malpractice allowing Jr to pinch hit when he could barely walk. Think of the potential damage that did to the franchise during the Jr era.. If they were conservative, Jr might've had a much more productive career.

Kearns' "blister" (which later needed surgery, and obviously was much more serious) is another example of the dishonesty that has been shown in the past.

I think you have a bizarre fixation with the Reds medical staff.

Chip R
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM

You just noticed that?

westofyou
06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Every team in every sport has the same scenarios that could be seen as "bad" it's funny how only the Reds get noticed by some.

WMR
06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Maybe Kremchek really is the best in the business at what he does but I've always thought of the saying "the operation was a success but the patient died on the table" when thinking about him and the procedures that he performs. ;)

Chip R
06-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Every team in every sport has the same scenarios that could be seen as "bad" it's funny how only the Reds get noticed by some.

Probably because we don't really give a hoot about the Braves' or Mets' or Dodgers' medical staffs since we're Reds fans.

nate
06-26-2009, 11:13 AM
You just noticed that?

Shortly after I noticed gravity.

westofyou
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Probably because we don't really give a hoot about the Braves' or Mets' or Dodgers' medical staffs since we're Reds fans.

It extends to all the sports as well... and if that's the real reason then I suggest that folks watch other baseball games that don't involve the Reds as well, you'll see all sorts of stuff that happens in Cincinnati without the A&E Window commercials too.

nate
06-26-2009, 11:15 AM

I just think that sports injuries have a "mysterious" element to them. Thinking that there's always a 100% clear treatment plan is, to me, uncritical thinking.

Danny Serafini
06-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm not a WBC fan, but Volquez threw all of three innings in it. The WBC isn't to blame here.

Falls City Beer
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
There's nothing sexy about the really effective treatments for sports injuries: lots of rest and time away from physical activity. Oh, and stretching.

The problem is these doctors are under pressure to get these players back on the field ASAP, when it would probably be best to just let the guy stay away from the game for a year or so.

westofyou
06-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I just think that sports injuries have a "mysterious" element to them. Thinking that there's always a 100% clear treatment plan is, to me, uncritical thinking.

Bingo!

bucksfan2
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Every injury has a "mysterious" element to it. It is why medicine is still considered a science. It is evolving every day. If I go out and hurt my back playing golf the Dr. would want surgery as the last resort. He would use rest, as well as physical therapy, and stretching in order to avoid surgery.

There is a reason why teams and Dr.'s give time lines for players to return. Its why they say 4-6 weeks instead of saying he will be back in exactly 27 days. They don't know how each individuals body will heal and they often don't know the severity of the injury. It may frustrate fans but it is the nature of medicine.

Big Klu
06-26-2009, 12:16 PM

This term was thrown around in a recent thread about Walt Jocketty and how he likely made a mistake on the Taveras acquisition. Some people complained about the use of the term, but were told that it was simply a way of saying that Walt really made a blunder. I can buy that, but applying that word to Dr. Kremchek carries a great deal of gravitas, and you had better be prepared to back it up legally.

Sea Ray
06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I think Kremchek is a very good surgeon. Whether his diagnostic skills are as good I don't know but once he gets 'em on the table they seem to recover well. He wasn't the one who did Jose Rijo's elbow. He rebuilt folks like Griffey (hamstring) and Dempster (shoulder).

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Volquez update
Posted by JohnFay at 6/30/2009 5:10 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Edinson Volquez has been cleared to begin throwing again. He'll start Friday by throwing from 60 feet off flat ground. He's basically starting over.

"That's bad," he said.

But his arm feels good. He was examined yesterday by Dr. Tim Kremchek.

"I don't feel any pain," he said. "He stretched it, twisted it. He's going to check me every time I throw."

Volquez was surprised when he was shut down again last week.

"Yeah, because I didn't feel any pain," he said. "But the MRI showed some inflammation."

Volquez has been on the disabled list for all but a one-inning outing since May 16. He had a back problem, followed by the inflammation in his elbow.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a20286640-64aa-41d1-9a71-1191551465e1&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

mbgrayson
06-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm not a WBC fan, but Volquez threw all of three innings in it. The WBC isn't to blame here.

It's not just the workload with the WBC, it's the breaking up of the normal pattern of preparation. Normally pitchers will gradually build up how many innings they work, stretch their stamina, fight through their dead arm period.

The WBC alters all of that normal preparation, and replaces it with a series of 'do or die' games, with massive nationalistic pressure to succeed before the players have fully gotten ready.

11larkin11
06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
It's not just the workload with the WBC, it's the breaking up of the normal pattern of preparation. Normally pitchers will gradually build up how many innings they work, stretch their stamina, fight through their dead arm period.

The WBC alters all of that normal preparation, and replaces it with a series of 'do or die' games, with massive nationalistic pressure to succeed before the players have fully gotten ready.

Yea, it definitely messed up Cueto too.

Can we blame the WBC on Taveras too? Hernandez? Votto?

Gimme a break.

membengal
07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Cueto's last two starts he's been gassed by the 5th. You have no idea and I have no idea whether he is dealing with a tired arm. And you have no idea and I have no idea whether he might be now feeling effects from what has already been a long season for him, on top of winter ball.

It is sloppy to dismiss the WBC as an unknown in terms of its effect on SPers, particularly given the evidence from 2006 edition.

Hoosier Red
07-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Not really for the first two rounds though. Volquez would have likely been throwing 3 innings in Sarasota or 3 innings in Puerto Rico, it didn't really matter.

For teams that make the finals I'd buy this as an excuse more than for someone like Volquez or Cueto.

REDREAD
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
So, when someone gets hurt, you expect them to perform surgery right away, even if rest and rehab could solve the problem? Surgery is always a last resort. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but they always try to do whatever they can before they operate.

As for hurting ticket sales, I'm not sure that's possible.

No, but I expect them to err on the side of caution. Trotting JR out there to pinch hit in order to sell a few extra tickets was malpractice.

On the flip side, saying that Kearns had a blister and treating it as such when there was clearly something worse is not smart.

What was the point of only resting Maj for 15 days in 2006 and then making him pitch in AAA? Maj was clearly having medical problems. They were severe enough that Wayne filed a grivence. It seems like common sense just to shut down Maj for the year at that point, but not to Doc Hollywood.

Doc Hollywood seems very poor at avoiding surgery. He also seems very poor at diagnoising problems and preventing them from getting worse. Sure, once it gets to the point where the player needs surgery, then he knows what to do.

REDREAD
07-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Give me a comparable example of diagnosising a hand that needed surgury as a blister or clearing a guy like Jr who could barely walk as a pinch hitter and I'll agree with you. I'm sure it's happened on othter teams, but not on most teams.

GAC
07-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Reds' Volquez cleared to throw again
But injured starter will have to start program from scratch

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090630&content_id=5619954&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Cincinnati -- Injured Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez got the good news he was seeking, even if it came tagged with a "but."

Volquez was cleared to resume throwing again, but he has to start his program over from square one.

"That's bad," said Volquez, who is on the disabled list with right elbow tendinitis. He was examined by team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek on Monday.

Volquez will long toss on Friday from a distance of 60 feet and his progress will be monitored even closer than before by Kremchek. His throwing program was close to having him back on a mound until it was halted last week when an MRI exam revealed inflammation in the muscle where the right forearm meets the elbow.

That inflammation appears to have completely subsided, which was a requirement before Volquez would be allowed to throw again.

"[Kremchek] checked my arm and he stretched my arm. He turned it that way and the other way," Volquez said. "He said I could throw. He said he's going to check my arm every time I throw. He'll be here to make sure everything is OK."

Already expected to be out through at least the All-Star break, the 25-year-old Volquez is 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA in nine starts. He's thrown in just one inning since May 16 when he went on the DL for the first time with back spasms. The tendinitis issue happened during his June 1 return.

"It's been hard to be at home watching the games," Volquez said. "You get mad. I'm screaming at the umpire on TV."

Hoosier Red
07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Give me a comparable example of diagnosising a hand that needed surgury as a blister or clearing a guy like Jr who could barely walk as a pinch hitter and I'll agree with you. I'm sure it's happened on othter teams, but not on most teams.

I thought it was a blister but that got infected. You seem set on this, how do you know it didn't start out as something fairly innocuous but it got infected and became much worse?

Chip R
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Again, I don't follow other teams as closely as I do the Reds so I - and others - don't give a hoot about other teams. Talk to Will Carroll. I'm sure he could help you out with that. You might actually learn something.

REDREAD
07-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I thought it was a blister but that got infected. You seem set on this, how do you know it didn't start out as something fairly innocuous but it got infected and became much worse?

If it really was just a blister, obviously the Reds did not take good care of it.
It's kind of amazing that an infected blister (if that's what it really was) got so bad that it required surgery. Why did they let it get to that point?

REDREAD
07-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Again, I don't follow other teams as closely as I do the Reds so I - and others - don't give a hoot about other teams. Talk to Will Carroll. I'm sure he could help you out with that. You might actually learn something.

Ok, but you made the claim that other teams are probably just as bad. I guess you can't back that up.

Chip R
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Ok, but you made the claim that other teams are probably just as bad. I guess you can't back that up.

Again, I'm not interested in other teams. But I would believe other teams aren't perfect in their diagnoses. You want to find out so bad, do your own legwork.

Reds Fanatic
07-03-2009, 07:56 PM
A Volquez update from Fay's blog:

RHP Edinson Volquez threw from 60 feet off flat ground today, for about five minutes. It was the first time he had thrown in two weeks.
"Good...no pain," Volquez said. "I was excited."
Volquez has been on the DL for all but a one-inning outing since May 16. He had a back problem, followed by inflammation in his elbow.

Up next is some long-toss for a couple of days.
"Hopefully I can get on the mound, in the bullpen next week," he said.

Volquez said he has no target date for his return. He will keep throwing for about a week and a half, he said, and then hopefully go to Triple-A for some rehab starts.

Volquez turns 26 today.

Mario-Rijo
07-03-2009, 08:06 PM
A Volquez update from Fay's blog:

Between that and this...

Per Olney:

The Reds will wait it out and ramp up their pursuit of a bat if they're in the race later in the month.

...the season may rest more on Homer Bailey than anyone might have ever thought.