PDA

View Full Version : I consider all bad news for the Cubs to be newsworthy....

_Sir_Charles_
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Chicago Cubs (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=chn) catcher Geovany Soto (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6428) said he has been informed by the International Baseball Federation that he tested positive for marijuana at the World Baseball Classic.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/6428.jpg
Soto

"While I fully acknowledge my inappropriate behavior, I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident," Soto said in a statement released by the Cubs. "I do not say this to minimize or deflect from my conduct and I fully understand the ramifications of my actions. I have and will accept any and all consequences.

"I am fully dedicated to the game of baseball and my teammates, and I apologize for any distraction and embarrassment this may cause them."

The Cubs released a statement while playing the Tigers in Detroit.

"Geovany assured the organization this was an isolated incident and a misstep in judgment that will not be repeated," the statement read. "Though surprised and disappointed, the club supports Geovany as he takes responsibility for his actions and accepts the consequences."

Soto, who is the reigning National League rookie of the year, played for Puerto Rico in the WBC.

I fully expected the Cubs to not reach their potential...them being the Cubs of course...but I certainly never predicted this kind of team-wide implosion.

I(heart)Freel
06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
"Isolated incident." There's my bellylaugh for the day!

It was just that one time, amazingly experimenting while on the world stage. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

*BaseClogger*
06-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Why do they test for marijuana at the WBC?

JaxRed
06-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Why do they test for marijuana at the WBC?

To see if anyone's been smoking it. :)

*BaseClogger*
06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
To see if anyone's been smoking it. :)

What does it have to do with baseball?

traderumor
06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Why do they test for marijuana at the WBC?I imagine it was a "drug test," of which marijuana is probably one of the drugs tested for. Last I checked, it is an illegal drug.

RichRed
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Marijuana or the Cubs? Either way, good question.

WMR
06-25-2009, 04:56 PM

You ever tried to hit a baseball... ... ... ... ... on weed??? :D

http://chud.com/nextraimages/halfbaked5.jpg

Chip R
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.emerchandise.com/images/p/SOP/pzBUSOP0003.jpg

traderumor
06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
What does it have to do with baseball?It's an illegal activity. Rather, I would ask "why don't athletes that fail a drug test for an illegal substance get arrested?"

GAC
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
It's an illegal activity. Rather, I would ask "why don't athletes that fail a drug test for an illegal substance get arrested?"

Why should athletes be treated differently then the private citizenry. If you test positive at work, for those that have a testing program, you don't get arrested. You can lose your job in most cases, or face disciplinary action; but you aren't arrested. And a lot of employers also have assistance programs to even help employees with such "problems" so they can retain (save) their job.

And maybe he didn't inhale. ;)

I think the bigger problem would be trying to concentrate and catch the ball with the colored trails coming off the ball and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida playing in your head. :p:

An OFer drops the ball and stands there going.... "OH Woow Man!

traderumor
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Why should athletes be trated differently then the private citizenry. If you test positive at work, for those that have a testing program, you don't get arrested. You can lose your job in most cases, but you aren't arrested. And a lot of employers also have assistance programs to even help employees with such "problems" so they can retain (save) their job.

Yeah - smoking grass is illegal; but as long as he didn't inhale what's the problem? :p:Hey, you win :beerme: I was wondering who would give that answer, which leads me to ask why employees don't get arrested for failing a drug test for illegal drugs?

*BaseClogger*
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Why perform the tests?

*BaseClogger*
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm just full of questions today! :)

traderumor
06-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Why perform the tests?Maybe you should make a statement of your position instead of playing twenty questions.

pedro
06-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey, you win :beerme: I was wondering who would give that answer, which leads me to ask why employees don't get arrested for failing a drug test for illegal drugs?

Because it's a waste of time and money.

GAC
06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
How do you know a player is on pot?

If you see the Dominos guy at the end of the dugout between innings with a pizza in one hand and a 2 litre of Mountain Dew in the other calling out a player's lat name.

It could be like that scene from Fast Times with Mr Hand and Spicoli. :lol:

PIZZA MAN: Okay, who had the double cheese sausage and bologna?

Taveras: That's me.

Baker: Am I hallucinating here? Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?

Taveras: Playing ball, and having some food.

Baker: Mr. Taveras, you're on dangerous ground here. You're causing a major disturbance in my dugout and on my time.

Taveras: I've been thinking about this Dusty. If I'm here... and you're here... doesn't that make it our time? So I thought I'd order us a pizza. Just leave me a lot of bologna.

Baker snatches pizza

Taveras: You Dick!

traderumor
06-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Because it's a waste of time and money.As an employer who makes decisions on paying health insurance premiums, I respectfully disagree. As a user of healthcare services, I care if healthcare employees are druggies or not, esp. the one who cuts on my family. Ok, back to baseball.

pedro
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
People still eat Dominoes?

That stuff is nasty.

GAC
06-25-2009, 05:50 PM
People still eat Dominoes?

That stuff is nasty.

They're the only ones that can get it to the dugout in less then a half an hour. Plus, you'll eat anything when you're stoned. Even the box. :p:

I told a buddy that if the local cops really wanted to bust the potheads, then sit by the drive-thru at Wendys or Taco Bell around 2 AM on a Friday night. :lol:

jojo
06-25-2009, 05:51 PM
BC seems to be saying that since pot isn't a performance enhancer, why is it part of a drug screen?

It's a question that I'm sure a lot of people wonder.

pedro
06-25-2009, 05:51 PM
As an employer who makes decisions on paying health insurance premiums, I disagree.

Well, it is your prerogative to terminate the employment of employees who fail their drug tests. I just don't think it makes a lot of financial sense to pay for incarceration or other legal action. Talk about running up deficits... boy oh boy.

GAC
06-25-2009, 05:53 PM
BC seems to be saying that since pot isn't a performance enhancer, why is it part of a drug screen?

It's a question that I'm sure a lot of people wonder.

How can it be when everything m-o-v-e-s s-o-o s-l-o-o-w? :cool:

MrCinatit
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Rainy Day Soto, Number 18

They stone you when you play the WBC
They stone you and bench you for a week.
They stone you when you play for the Cubs.
They stone you and ground you like bugs.
They stone you, me and Chad Fox.
They stoned Lou, Milton and Neal Cotts.
They stone you when you're trying to play baseball.
They stone you when you choke every fall.

pedro
06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
As an employer who makes decisions on paying health insurance premiums, I respectfully disagree. As a user of healthcare services, I care if healthcare employees are druggies or not, esp. the one who cuts on my family. Ok, back to baseball.

I totally agree that there are certain professions in which drug screening is a good idea. I'm not arguing that point. I don't want a coked up airline pilot either. But not allowing someone to perform a job and throwing them in jail are two different things.

Come to think of it, the Reds offense has been rather lethargic lately ...

LvJ
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Should be legal.

traderumor
06-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I totally agree that there are certain professions in which drug screening is a good idea. I'm not arguing that point. I don't want a coked up airline pilot either. But not allowing someone to perform a job and throwing them in jail are two different things.

Come to think of it, the Reds offense has been rather lethargic lately ...The inconsistency is obvious. If its illegal, its illegal. Not sure why catching someone outside the company gates makes it possession, whereas peeing in a cup on company time is just an employment issue.

traderumor
06-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Should be legal.But its not.

Brutus
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey, you win :beerme: I was wondering who would give that answer, which leads me to ask why employees don't get arrested for failing a drug test for illegal drugs?

Because the private sector does not have enforcement jurisdiction over citizens? It's not for employers to play the role of criminal justice.

pedro
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
The inconsistency is obvious. If its illegal, its illegal. Not sure why catching someone outside the company gates makes it possession, whereas peeing in a cup on company time is just an employment issue.

Probably because the laws are written outlawing possession.

traderumor
06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Because the private sector does not have enforcement jurisdiction over citizens? It's not for employers to play the role of criminal justice.Oh, ok, so if I call the cops because someone embezzled money from me, they can tell me its none of their business?

*BaseClogger*
06-25-2009, 06:48 PM
First, I'd just like to say that I do not smoke marijuana nor have any ties to either side of the discussion. Now...

I get it. Marijuana is illegal and if you are caught with it by law enforcement you should be prepared to face the consequences. Alternatively, I understand that people have a right to choose how they live their lives and there are plenty of people out there who choose to smoke pot.

But that stuff should stay private. I don't care if a baseball player smokes weed. That's on him. Why test for it? Baseball is not the law. Marijuana is not a performance enhancing drug. In fact, I don't think it affects a baseball player's performance one bit. It is not baseball's responsibility to expose these kind of things.

Mostly, I just think it is silly that this information is "news"...

*BaseClogger*
06-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Oh, ok, so if I call the cops because someone embezzled money from me, they can tell me its none of their business?

What did the pothead do to you?

jojo
06-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh, ok, so if I call the cops because someone embezzled money from me, they can tell me its none of their business?

Thats a pretty narrow interpretation of what he's saying.

A person can smoke pot in the middle of their vacation and test positive for it when they return to work.

pedro
06-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Because embezzlement is a crime while the fact that someone did drugs at some indeterminate time in the past is not. So if you called the cops on your employee after they failed their drug test and the cops searched their desk and found drugs, then yes, they could be arrested, but unless they are found to be in possession, then there isn't anything thing that can be done.

Ltlabner
06-25-2009, 06:54 PM

No, because the crime is the embezzlement. Whether it happened today, yesterday or last year, the crime is the act of stealing money from your employer.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but most drug laws are about possession. That is, actually having the fatty in your pocket at the time the cop searches you. If you test positive for use sometime in the past, but don't currently have any killer trip-weed on you, there's nothing to prosecute. Why? Because you aren't possessing anything.

Arresting people who test positive for drugs, but aren't actively possessing, would be somewhat like arresting someone for being drunk in public 3 weeks ago.

So it really has little to do with how baseball stars are treated in society, and much to do with how the laws are written.

Ltlabner
06-25-2009, 06:56 PM
nm

Chip R
06-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Let's stick to baseball, folks, and leave the philosophcal discussion in the Peanut Gallery.

westofyou
06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Much to do about nothing... unless you're an uptight square that is.

pedro
06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Don't be an L7 daddio....

Ltlabner
06-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Well it certainly explains who Soto was so relaxed at the plate last year.

Brutus
06-25-2009, 09:02 PM

Though a few people have stated my main opinions on the matter, I'd say the other big thing is that when someone embezzles money from you, your rights as a citizen are being violated. In that kind of situation, sure, it's your business. If an employee of yours is found to have smoked pot, you as an employer has every right to terminate the employee. However, in my opinion, your rights as a citizen are certainly not being violated because someone else smoked pot, so as far as the law is concerned, I think it's not an employer's business what happens to the employee legally.

This is coming from someone that's never touched an illegal narcotic in my lifetime. I simply don't think it's anyone's business what someone else does. If they're not infringing on other peoples' rights, it should not be their business what is done with the person. I completely respect your position as an employer to terminate an employee if they're on drugs. If you feel that affects their performance, reputation, etc.,then feel free to dismiss someone for that. However, unless that person has done something to you personally that is illegal, I just don't see how an employer has any business making it a legal issue. It's not their place to do so. JMHO.

Chip R
06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
OK, that's it.