PDA

View Full Version : Who is emerging?

lollipopcurve
06-27-2009, 09:14 AM
We're about halfway through 2009 season for full season leagues, so I'd say it's safe to point to a few players who seem to be emerging as legitimate/potential prospects.

1. Andrew Means -- Very intriguing offensive tools as he turns his full attention to baseball. Possibly a high ceiling, which we like. I'd be interested to hear redsof72's take on him.

2. Kevin Coddington -- Holding close to .300 as a catcher in the Midwest League. Pretty impressive. The question would be his defense -- he's tall, and that is a challenge behind the plate. Very well could pass Mesoraco, if he hasn't already.

3. Logan Ondrusek -- 6'7" and a groundball machine out of the pen. I wonder what kind of velocity he's got.

4. Mariekson Gregorius -- 19 years old and playing SS in High A ball. I assumed he was there only until short season ball started. But he's surviving at the plate with seemingly a hit every day. Still, this could be a mirage, since there's been no buzz at all about him.

There are others, too. But these are 4 that have floated to the top for me, as we enter the 2nd half.

kfm
06-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I am interested in Lance Janke. He is putting up nice numbers at Dayton. Has anyone seen him or know anything about what he throws and how hard?

mace
06-27-2009, 10:44 AM
If I recall correctly, there was a comment a while back about some scout or former player (it wasn't Johnny Bench, was it?) remarking that Coddington was the best defensive catcher he had seen all spring. If that's true, the Reds' catching depth is a little better than people have described it. I don't know much about Chris Denove, but he's been hitting pretty decently at AA, as well.

But back to the point. I'd put Miguel Rojas on that list. He's reputed to be an outstanding shortstop, and his hitting is pretty clearly on the upswing.

Matt Fairel, definitely. Lance Janke. Several Sarasota pitchers are inching into the picture: Travis Webb, Scott Carroll, Joseph Krebs and Enerio Del Rosario.

It's too early for the rookie leaguers to have distinguished themselves, but Alexis Oliveras, Efrain Contreras and Donnie Joseph have started well at Billings. For the GCL Reds, Billy Hamilton, in spite of his defense, looks as though he should immediately join the top 10 or 20 on the organizational prospect list. And of course you can pick from the Rodriguez buffet.

dougdirt
06-27-2009, 11:27 AM
My biggest 'mover' is a guy that mace mentioned, Miguel Rojas. Since May rolled around he has 18 walks, 18 strikeouts and is hitting a soft .270/.326/.368. However he is also a 160 pound 20 year old. If he can add a few pounds/strength and gain even a little more power, he could be a MLB starting SS.

Josh Ravin has certainly been pretty good over his last 6 starts (36ip, 33K, 12BB, 2.50 ERA). He has solid stuff and good projection. If he can overcome his control issues that he battles and keeps up the solid control, he is a legit starting pitching prospect.

Like every year we have guys go up and some guys go down. A few other guys mentioned on here have also made my radar. Janke has a good arm on him and the production is there for him. Coddington has solid defense and good plate coverage, but he is a very average led hitter. He doesn't walk much and he doesn't have any power. Good thing he can catch though, you can get away with that there.

Benihana
06-27-2009, 12:18 PM
From the guys mentioned, I like Ravin and Means. As Doug mentioned, Ravin has always had good stuff and horrible command. It looks like he may have found some command, stay tuned. Between Means and Justin Reed, it will be interesting to see if either one can really blossom and take advantage of their raw skills.

I'd add Cody Puckett, who was probably the MVP of the Dayton club in the first half. The middle infield in Sarasota (Buchholz and Puckett) is one to keep an eye on. They are reminiscent of the Valaika-Turner duo, although hopefully they can fare better.

With Rojas, I don't get what the fuss is with a SS who is currently posting a career-high OPS of .610 in A ball, no matter how good he is with the glove.

camisadelgolf
06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Good call on Ravin, Doug. I'm amazed at how far he has come over the past year. Based on his dreadful 2007 and 2008, I've even gone as far to say that the Reds should have released him, but a 1.30 WHIP from a 21-year-old in Dayton indicates that there's plenty of reason for him to stick around at least a little while longer.

dougdirt
06-27-2009, 12:28 PM
From the guys mentioned, I like Ravin and Means. As Doug mentioned, Ravin has always had good stuff and horrible command. It looks like he may have found some command, stay tuned. Between Means and Justin Reed, it will be interesting to see if either one can really blossom and take advantage of their raw skills.

I'd add Cody Puckett, who was probably the MVP of the Dayton club in the first half. The middle infield in Sarasota (Buchholz and Puckett) is one to keep an eye on. They are reminiscent of the Valaika-Turner duo, although hopefully they can fare better.

With Rojas, I don't get what the fuss is with a SS who is currently posting a career-high OPS of .610 in A ball, no matter how good he is with the glove.

He had a real bad April. His May and June have been much better with as many walks as strikeouts and a .270 average. Coupled with a good glove and you have the workings of something. You hope the power comes around just a little more, but if it does, then there is something very legit about him. He may never be that world beater prospect, but he has the makings of a guy who has a chance to be a major league starter.

lollipopcurve
06-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Ravin's been on the prospect radar for a couple years already, so I don't see him as an emerging guy -- yet he certainly has taken an encouraging step forward this year, and you have to like any young rotation prospect.

I tend to side with Doug re: Rojas. I think he's interesting, so long as the defensive rep is legit. He's still very young.

I really think Means bears watching.

redsof72
06-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I would go with this order, speaking only of the guys I have seen:

1) Rojas
2) Ravin
3) Coddington
4) Fairel
5) J. Martinez

Honorable Mention: Puckett, Means, Carlos Mendez, Janke.

Rojas has a major league glove. He has a long way to go at the plate, but he is the only position player on the team with a tool that is major league grade at the moment. The Reds really like him. You will see him in the Baseball America top 30 next year.

Ravin is a guy I was hard on last year. He has improved dramatically.

Coddington projects as a Ryan Hanigan type player. Fairel projects as a major league long reliever. Martinez has the power arm to be a big league closer. He is very raw. You will see him on some prospects lists next year if he keeps improving at his current pace. Hit 98 mph recently.

Of the others, Puckett will have to move to left field, but at times he has hit so well that you have to take note of him. Means is a freakish athlete who has a long way to go but is fun to watch. I think he has been the key addition to the Dayton team. Mendez looks legit to me. He could be a real sleeper. He has great bat speed. He is the best pure hitter on the Dayton team. Janke shows flashes. Fastball is 90-91. Good breaking ball. Will drop down three-quarters. Some question his durability due to slender build and the fact that he wore down in 2008 at the end.

I like Scott Gaffney some. Curtis Partch will tease you with a great arm but he is not consistent. Andrew Bowman, with a 92-95 fast ball from the left side, can look dominant at times. If he could ever find consistency...

Benihana
06-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Assuming Mesoraco repeats Sarasota next year, where does that leave Coddington- especially if Fleury signs?

redsof72
06-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Hard to say. They would have to have a third catcher on the roster and DH one of the two a couple times a week and split the time behind the plate. At this point, Coddington is a much better player than Mesoraco, both with the bat and the glove. Kevin is 11 months older. Fleury would have to be at Dayton, probably with Wideman. The Brownsburg, Indiana kid (10th round) is also highly thought of and could be right behind them. He was drafted that late because of signability concerns. One scout told me has was seeking fourth round money. That particular scout did not see the kid as a fourth round talent but thouught he might project as a major league backup. I asked the scout if the kid was a better player than Mesoraco. He just smiled, because he also saw Mesoraco as a first rounder out of high school. That is why it is an inexact science. If the Reds had not drafted Mesoraco where they did, he would have been taken by someone else within a few picks. Hopefully Devin can get it going.

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Is Gaffney a sidearmer or am I thinking of someone else?

JayBruceFan
06-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Lance Janke throws sidearm sometimes

OesterPoster
06-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The game I saw Janke pitch, he did well for the first few innings, then fell apart around the 4th or 5th. Like others have said, he throws mostly from a 3/4 slot and drops down on occasion. I don't know if it's the stamina thing something mentioned, or if he just doesn't have a good 3rd pitch for that 2nd and 3rd time through the lineup.