PDA

View Full Version : Heisey in AAA

kfm
06-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Heisey called up to Louisville after Mudcats drop third straight
Mike Potter · 26 Jun 2009, 11:08 PM · Comment

Share |

FIVE COUNTY STADIUM/ZEBULON I get to the park extra early for fifth game of the Carolina Mudcats’ series against the Jacksonville Suns, with the hosts needing two wins to salvage a tie.

The mission is to connect with Mudcats southpaw Travis Wood, for a feature story about him as one of the minor leagues’ top prospects for another website.

But Wood doesn’t seem to be around, and it takes a while to find out why.

“Didn’t you hear?” one teammate says. “He got promoted to Triple-A.”

Since it’s not my first day doing this, I ask manager David Bell if his team has had any transactions since last night’s contest.

Bell answers in the negative and confirms the more plausible clubhouse rumor that Wood - who does arrive in time to pick up a certificate for two earlier Southern League pitcher of the week awards in a pregame presentation - had to make an unplanned trip to the dentist.

That’s about 45 minutes I’ll never get back, but “hurry up and wait” has long been a reality of sports journalism.

At least I have plenty of time to fill out my scorebook - which is dangerously close to being full already - and get some computer things accomplished after making my pregame cheeseburger disappear.

Play ball!

(Spoiler alert, the Mudcats fall 6-2 for their third straight loss, and after the game center fielder Chris Heisey, pictured, - who will play in the Major League Futures Game on July 12 - is promoted to Triple-A Louisville.) Continue reading »

Baseball, Carolina Mudcats Bryan Petersen, Carson Kainer, Chris Hatcher, Chris Heisey, Christhian Martinez, Cincinnati Reds, Dallas Buck, David Bell, Florida Marlins, International League, Jacksonville Suns, Jerry Gil, Jordan Smith, Jose Castro, Kevin Randel, Kinston High School, Logan Morrison, Logan Parker, Louisville Bats, Major League Futures Game, Mike Stanton, Myron Noodleman, Nic Ungs, Scott Cousins, Sean Henry, Shawn Cumberland, Southern League, Tim Torres, Travis Wood, UNC Wilmington

Mudcats have a tough ending, but Heisey gets a nice surprise
Mike Potter · 25 Jun 2009, 11:38 PM · Comment

Share |

FIVE COUNTY STADIUM/ZEBULON It’s Game 4 of the Carolina Mudcats’ first series of the second half, a six-game set against the chosen opponents from the Southern League’s South Division that they’ll play a whopping 25 times before it’s all over.

Tonight the Mudcats will try to even the current series at two games apiece. There are 10 former Mudcats - along with skipper Brandon Hyde, hitting coach Theron Todd and pitching coach Reid Cornelius - on the Jacksonville Suns’ squad since Carolina was affiliated with the Florida Marlins before switching to the Cincinnati Reds for this season.

One Mudcat gets some very good news early in the day. Chris Heisey (pictured) will be playing in the Major League Futures Game in St. Louis on July 12, the day before he’ll probably be playing in the Southern League All-Star Game in Birmingham.

They’re playing some Michael Jackson songs before and during the game. Odd that he and fellow ’70s-and-later icon Farrah Fawcett die on the same day.

(Spoiler alert: The Mudcats lose 4-2 in 10.)

Anyway, I promised another Theron Todd story yesterday, and here it is. Continue reading »

Baseball, Carolina Mudcats, Durham Bulls Andy Tomberlin, Birmingham Barons, Brandon Hyde, Chris Denove, Chris Heisey, Christhian Martinez, Cincinnati Reds, Dallas Buck, David Bell, Ever Magallanes, Florida Marlins, Florida State League, Jacksonville Suns, Jose Castro, Kasey Olenberger, Lee Mitchell, Lorenzo Scott, Michael Jackson, Mike Stanton, Phil Plantier, Reid Cornelius, Russell Mitchell, Salem Buccaneers, Scott Henion, Sean Henry, Sean Watson, Southern League, Theron Todd, West Tenn Diamond Jaxx

Ex-Mudcats bomb the current crop

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Heisey is now listed on the Louisville roster.

GOYA
06-27-2009, 12:54 PM
He's not where I'm looking. He's still on the Carolina roster.

dougdirt
06-27-2009, 01:09 PM
He's not where I'm looking. He's still on the Carolina roster.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=LF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502317

Listed with the Bats.

GOYA
06-27-2009, 01:15 PM
And now listed on the Bats' site:
http://louisville.bats.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=416&stn=true&sid=t416

Doc. Scott
06-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Mike Griffin was sent back to Carolina to create the spot. Simple enough.

GIDP
06-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Good good move...

Makes you wonder if this means the Stubbs time table is getting close

Joseph
06-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Good good move...

I would certainly hope so.

lollipopcurve
06-27-2009, 04:16 PM
He deserves it. Now we'll get a bit of a better read about how he and Stubbs compare, and about how the organization sees them (who bats where, who plays where). My take is that Heisey has already outperformed Stubbs once -- when both were in high A last year -- so it would not be surprising if it happens again, though it may take Heisey a little while to adjust to his new surroundings.

In any case, glad this happened -- it was overdue, in my opinion.

redsof72
06-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Other organization moves include Francisco activated...Kahaulelio back to Sarasota...Puckett back to Dayton...Kuo back to Billings...Ravin to DL...Jordan Smith activated.

dougdirt
06-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Other organization moves include Francisco activated...Kahaulelio back to Sarasota...Puckett back to Dayton...Kuo back to Billings...Ravin to DL...Jordan Smith activated.

Why is Ravin heading to the DL? I hadn't heard anything about him.

redsof72
06-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Ravin hurt his elbow in the start on Thursday. Not thought to be serious.

RedsManRick
06-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Will Heisey be playing every day in AAA? Any concern that, like Dickerson, he'll get pushed to a corner inappropriately given that Stubbs isn't moving?

HokieRed
06-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I would certainly hope so.

I don't see that it means anything at all about Stubbs. Hopefully the Dusty will start to see that the CF solution, temporarily anyway, is already sitting in Cinti.

redsof72
06-27-2009, 06:11 PM
No relationship at all between Heisey going to Triple-A and Stubbs potentially moving up. Different people involved in making the decisions.

Benihana
06-27-2009, 06:23 PM
No relationship at all between Heisey going to Triple-A and Stubbs potentially moving up. Different people involved in making the decisions.

Any word on Frazier and/or Wood going to Louisville? Any idea what is holding them back? Thanks.

redsof72
06-27-2009, 06:30 PM
No idea. Very surprising that Wood has not moved up. All I can tell you is this: Sometimes, despite a guy being dominant at one level, there could be something that they feel he must improve on to be effective at the next level, something he may be getting away with against younger hitters. I spent eight years in Double-A and that was a common thing. Maybe a guy was leaving a pitch up and Double-A hitters were chasing it but they knew Triple-A guys would lay off, and they were waiting for the guy to make the improvement, ie: consistently keep the ball down. But it is hard to imagine, based on Wood's numbers, that there could be anything he is doing that would not translate to a higher level. Still, I would caution anyone not to expect a promotion based strictly on numbers if you have not seen the player on a fairly consistent basis.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2009, 03:22 AM
This is definitely a needed move.

I really think the time is now to promote Frazier though. I really don't know what else he has left to prove in AA.

nemesis
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
This is definitely a needed move.

I really think the time is now to promote Frazier though. I really don't know what else he has left to prove in AA.

I would bet he get's the call up once EdE get's back to the big club. He doesn't have a postion to play right now in AAA. If Michael Griffin gets recalled then I'll start to question things.

Benihana
06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
I would bet he get's the call up once EdE get's back to the big club. He doesn't have a postion to play right now in AAA. If Michael Griffin gets recalled then I'll start to question things.

I hope you're right. Francisco is back now with Carolina, so it's definitely time.

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2009, 03:44 PM

That's what I'm hoping for too.

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Good good move...

I hope Stubbs actually has to earn the call-up and doesn't get called up just because he is a former first-round pick. If Heisey is the better player at the AAA level (which he still needs to prove) he should get the call before Stubbs.

Stubbs has been awful lately. I much prefer it when he proves me wrong instead of proves me right. Him proving me wrong would be better for the Reds.