PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Line-up Should Stick (Dickerson/Hanigan)

Edskin
06-27-2009, 11:56 PM
There isn't a whole lot Dusty can do right now to infuse the offense. I really haven't had a big problem with his line-up construction this year other than the insistence that Willy leads off regardless.

But I really liked what he did tonight-- I just don't think he'll stick with it, instead deferring to the vets.

Ramon Hernandez has NOT been a problem this year-- he's been fine. I don't "want" to bench him, but I prefer to have Hanigan in there daily given the choice.

And Dickerson is such an obvious choice over WT that I really can't fathom why Dusty wouldn't just make the switch permanent. And I don't have a problem with Janish batting 8th (or 9th in interleague). He can't hit a lick, but he's a solid defender, and I just tend to feel better with younger guys in the everyday line-up.

But Dusty's strength (player/clubhouse management) may prove to be his biggest weakness in this type of situation. His loyalty and tendency to defer to the vets will most likely keep Taveras and Hernandez in their everyday roles with Dickerson and Hanigan relegated to bench/utility roles.

WebScorpion
06-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I like seeing Hanigan and Dickerson in there too. Hopefully, Dusty will take the offensive outburst tonight as a sign and do the superstitious thing...DON'T MESS WITH IT! I like having our best defense up the middle in there as often as possible, which means Janish at SS, Phillips at 2nd, Dickerson(or possibly Stubbs) in CF, and Hanigan (or Hernandez when he's fresh) behind the dish. I just think if we're going to live and die by our pitchers (and our offense isn't giving us much choice) we should support them with the strongest defense we can field. As the team matures we can replace players with equal or stronger defenders who can hit a little better, but we should always maintain a strong middle.

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Agreed. I liked tonight's lineup, though I would bat Hairston much lower in the lineup when he plays.

When EdE returns, I would go with this lineup:

vs RHP:

Dickerson, CF
Bruce, RF
Votto, 1B
Phillips, 2B
Nix, LF
Encarnacion, 3B
Hanigan/Hernandez, C
Janish, SS

or

Dickerson, CF
Hanigan, C
Votto, 1B
Phillips, 2B
Bruce, RF
Encarnacion, 3B
Nix, LF
Janish, SS

mth123
06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Agreed. I liked tonight's lineup, though I would bat Hairston much lower in the lineup when he plays.

When EdE returns, I would go with this lineup:

vs RHP:

Dickerson, CF
Bruce, RF
Votto, 1B
Phillips, 2B
Nix, LF
Encarnacion, 3B
Hanigan/Hernandez, C
Janish, SS

or

Dickerson, CF
Hanigan, C
Votto, 1B
Phillips, 2B
Bruce, RF
Encarnacion, 3B
Nix, LF
Janish, SS

I like the second one and against lefty pitching:

Hairston CF
Votto 1B
Phillips 2B
Gomes LF
Encarnacion 3B
Hernandez C
Bruce RF
Janish SS

Hernandez has to play some of the time to keep Hanigan fresh. Let him play against lefty pitching where his bat may look a little better and his relative power as compared to Hanigan fits in the 6 or 7 slot. I may even consider Hairston in LF and Gomes in RF with the dreaded Willy T in CF in the 7 hole if Bruce doesn't turn it around against lefties.

redsfan4445
06-28-2009, 01:34 PM
dont worry it wont.. dusty's Fav son TAVERAS starts again today..:(