PDA

View Full Version : Zack Stewart to Louisville, Rosales too

GOYA
06-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Brian Peterson is again removed from the roster.

membengal
06-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Stewart moved up but not Wood?

interesting.

KoryMac5
06-28-2009, 11:28 AM
They may feel Stewart has more maturity than Wood at this point in their early careers. Wood would be pretty young for AAA.

lollipopcurve
06-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I'll predict they see Stewart as possibly helping in the pen this year. Just a guess.

membengal
06-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I am curious only in that Stewart is fairly new to starting, and his pitch count and innings are up there relative to a year ago.

dougdirt
06-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Sounds like he is heading to the bullpen up there.

bellhead
06-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Sounds like he is heading to the bullpen up there.

Interesting...

Does this change his projection as a starting pitcher or was the original theory of having him start as to allow him to work on his secondary pitches true.

I guess if he dominates as a reliever in AAA then a late season callup is in order...

Benihana
06-28-2009, 12:30 PM
He is our version of Joba.

I'd like to see Stewart remain as a starter, as I think guys like Owings and Thompson could be well-suited to come out of the pen. Too bad I'm not in charge.

JaxRed
06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
My guess is that this move is to limit his pitches, and that he goes back to starting next year regardless of what lever he obtains this season.

dougdirt
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM
My guess is that this move is to limit his pitches, and that he goes back to starting next year regardless of what lever he obtains this season.
Thats what I would expect to. From what I heard its a move to limit his innings/pitches. That tells me they plan on using him as a starter again in the future.

Joseph
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM

If its not a temporary move, then that would be my guess as well.

Benihana
06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Thats what I would expect to. From what I heard its a move to limit his innings/pitches. That tells me they plan on using him as a starter again in the future.

Good.

mth123
06-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Interesting...

Does this change his projection as a starting pitcher or was the original theory of having him start as to allow him to work on his secondary pitches true.

I guess if he dominates as a reliever in AAA then a late season callup is in order...

Stewart is already about at last season's IP number. I imagine the move to the pen is to save his arm and then decide next year what to do. 30 or so IP from now to the end of the year is probably his limit and if he's going to be in the pen they may as well move him up a level. He may get a look in Cincy's pen this year (and I think he could permanently move to a late inning role if that's the plan) but if he's going to be a starter he'll need another year in the minors to continue building those innings to about 140 or so in 2010 IMO.

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2009, 01:09 PM

Good. I would be disappointed if they moved him back to the bullpen permanently after how well he pitched as a starter this season.

Mario-Rijo
06-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Probably use him as Louisville's closer from here out. Perhaps Lincoln is done for a while neccessitating Roenicke to stick around the big club.

GIDP
06-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Smart move.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Zach Stewart: A 2008 third-round pick out of Texas Tech, Stewart has had no problems dominating hitters in professional baseball. His up-and-down college career included stints in both the starting rotation and the bullpen. His pro career has been no different; Stewart spent his debut season in the ‘pen before moving to the rotation in 2009. He made seven starts in both high-A and double-A before moving back to the bullpen with a recent promotion to triple-A. That moves pretty much signifies that the Cincinnati organization views Stewart, 22, as a prospect that can help the club in the not-too-distant future. In double-A, the right-hander allowed just 29 hits in 37 innings of work while posting rates of 2.43 BB/9 and 7.54 K/9. He also does a nice job of keeping balls-in-play on the ground.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/minor-impacts-july-2

davereds24
07-06-2009, 05:15 AM
Zack with 4 Ks in his 2 innings so far with the bats. Of his 9 batters faced: 3 singles, 4 Ks, 1 fly out, 1 line out.

redsof72
07-06-2009, 11:43 AM
We had this on-going debate before the season and I was alone on an island when I said that Stewart was a better prospect than Lotzkar. I said after the Reds Futures Game that Stewart was the most impressive prospect on the field. I will be wrong about some guys, for sure, but not this guy.

camisadelgolf
07-06-2009, 01:18 PM
We had this on-going debate before the season and I was alone on an island when I said that Stewart was a better prospect than Lotzkar. I said after the Reds Futures Game that Stewart was the most impressive prospect on the field. I will be wrong about some guys, for sure, but not this guy.
I'm not sure if I said it, but at the time, I disagreed with you. At this point, though, I'd agree with you. Good job. :thumbup: