PDA

View Full Version : Julio Lugo anyone?

Benihana
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Amalie Benjamin suggests that Jed Lowrie's return could mark the end of the Julio Lugo era in Boston. Before yesterday, Lugo had not started since June 14, ceding time to Nick Green who is making $8.5MM less. According to Benjamin, "...the shortstop would be foolish not to prepare for the possibility of being released. The Sox would be on the hook for his salary, and he could be signed by any club for the league minimum."

Would he be an acceptable stopgap for the league minimum until Valiaka/Cozart are ready?

Johnny Footstool
06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Who would he replace on the roster?

Benihana
06-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Danny Richar would be a good place to start.

Hoosier Red
06-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Richar.

TheNext44
06-28-2009, 12:56 PM
His UZR/150 this season is -43. Basically right now, he's Keppinger's glove, and AGone's bat.

Pass

reds1869
06-28-2009, 12:57 PM
His UZR/150 this season is -43. Basically right now, he's Keppinger's glove, and AGone's bat.

Pass

As others have mentioned though, he would be a clear upgrade over Richar. If he can be had for the league minimum and agree to be a bench player, I say go for it.

TheNext44
06-28-2009, 01:27 PM
As others have mentioned though, he would be a clear upgrade over Richar. If he can be had for the league minimum and agree to be a bench player, I say go for it.

Is he really a clear upgrade over Richar? We don't know much about Richar, but we know that Lugo can't hit and can't field.

I guess taking a flyer can't hurt, see if he can regain he past form.

nate
06-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Is he really a clear upgrade over Richar? We don't know much about Richar, but we know that Lugo can't hit and can't field.

Other than that...

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2009, 04:00 PM
No thanks. I'd rather have Richar.

cincrazy
06-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I would make a run at Yunel Escobar. The Braves are fed up with the guy because of his attitude, but he can flat out rake, and if they're so fed up with him to not play him while they're fighting for their postseason lives, it might not take all that much to pry him away. Brandon Phillips had much the same label on him when we acquired him. I would love to see us take a shot at Escobar.

Benihana
06-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I would make a run at Yunel Escobar. The Braves are fed up with the guy because of his attitude, but he can flat out rake, and if they're so fed up with him to not play him while they're fighting for their postseason lives, it might not take all that much to pry him away. Brandon Phillips had much the same label on him when we acquired him. I would love to see us take a shot at Escobar.

I would love to have Escobar if he's really available.

I'm not sure what the Braves are looking for these days, but it seems they're interested in a major league bat for cheap, and possibly help at 2B. Between Jonny Gomes, Jerry Hairston, and Laynce Nix, we might have something to offer- although we would certainly need to include a lot more value than that.