View Full Version : Official 2009 International Signings Thread
06-28-2009, 11:45 PM
With signing day just four days away, it would be nice to have an official thread on the matter.
ESPN is reporting that the Reds are one of four finalists (with the Padres, Yankees and Red Sox) for Dominican RHP Cristopher Cabrera.
Other guys worth noting are SS Miguel Angel Sano and OF Juan Pena. OF Wagner Mateo has reportedly already captured the largest ever signing bonus for a position player, getting $3.1MM from the Cardinals, while C Gary Sanchez has reportedly agreed to $3MM with the Yankees.
06-29-2009, 04:32 PM
International Free Agent Update
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 29 at 1:37pm CST]
ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure relays the latest on a pair of international players with his Twitter account.
* Cheslor Cuthbert, who agreed to terms over the weekend, will receive a bonus of about $1.2MM from the Royals.
* The Rangers appear to be closing in on Jurickson Profar.
* It looks like he'll receive a bonus of about $700k to play short.
* He could probably have received more if he'd signed as a pitcher, but he doesn't want to pitch.
Our own Mike Axisa questioned Baseball America's Ben Badler about some other international players over at River Ave. Blues:
* It looks like top Latin catching prospect Gary Sanchez will sign with the Yankees for about $3MM.
* The Mariners seem to be the favorites to sign Guillermo Pimentel.
* Ugueth Urbina's son, Juan, will likely sign with the Mets.
* Badler says Miguel Angel Sano would have gone somewhere between fourth overall and the end of the first round if he'd been eligible in this month's draft.
Does anyone have a list/ranking of the top 10 talents available? I've heard names but I've yet to see a list or rankings of any kind. Interesting that Sano wouldn't have gone in the Top 3 in this year's draft, considering at least one scout described him as "Albert Pujols' bat in Hanley Ramirez's body." Hyperbole much?
06-29-2009, 11:56 PM
06-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Former Little League World Series star for Curacao if I'm not mistaken.
07-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Time to make this a sticky, maybe?
07-02-2009, 01:21 AM
the Reds are in on the SS Valor from Venezula who seems to be a lock, of course we all know about Kepler, Pena and Cabrera but from what I'm hearing there is a name out there who the Reds haven't been linked to as of yet but are making a strong push for and no it's not Sano
07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Mets Sign Venezuelan Lefty Juan Urbina
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 2 at 9:03am CST]
The Mets signed Juan Urbina, a Venezuelan lefty, to a bonus worth more than $1MM, according to Kiley McDaniel of Baseball Prospectus. Urbina is the son of longtime major leaguer Ugueth Urbina.
We'll have all the big international signings here at MLBTR. If you're unsure about what it all means, check out this explanation of the international signing period, which begins today
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.