PDA

View Full Version : Reds are targetting Wiggington?

HalMorrisRules
06-29-2009, 01:21 AM
After missing out on DeRosa, it seems the Reds are looking at Wiggington, Willingham, Matthews JR and Lugo. None seem to really inspire me too much.

Losing out on DeRosa has Reds looking elsewhere (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9743144/Losing-out-on-DeRosa-has-Reds-looking-elsewhere)

GIDP
06-29-2009, 01:30 AM
They already passed on Wiggington but it would be typical Reds to go after Gary Matthews Jr, and Julio Lugo.

I guess we just cant stop targeting bad players.

Captain Hook
06-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Lugo would be the only one I'd be interested in.SS is the #1 need for us and it sounds like he could be had for very little in return.If the Sox's are thinking about releasing him anyways they would need to send some cash our way too.He could be a nice fit seeing that we don't have anyone to play there next season as well.

GIDP
06-29-2009, 02:19 AM
Julio Lugo has be a flat out terrible player going on 4 seasons now

schmidty622
06-29-2009, 06:45 AM
I would be ok if Lugo batted 8th but we all know he would drop right into dusty's number two spot in the batting order behind Taveras.

That would be a disaster.

xavr1
06-29-2009, 08:36 AM
None of these guys would be a dramatic difference maker, especially Matthews Jr. Now if we could get Holliday...

Ghosts of 1990
06-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I wonder what we were thinking of offering for DeRosa

texasdave
06-29-2009, 09:49 AM
The only one of the four that I would consider trading for is Wigginton. And where would he play? Pass, pass, pass and pass.

CRedsLarkin11
06-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't see why any of these players are worth trading anything of value for. They passed on Wigginton when he was cut in the offseason, no reason to actually trade something for him now.

Captain Hook
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Julio Lugo has be a flat out terrible player going on 4 seasons now

Flat out Gonzo terrible or flat out Jerry Hairston terrible?I'm not saying we have to go out and get the guy but he would be an upgrade.I would however probably pass on him unless we can get him for next to nothing.

GIDP
06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Flat out Gonzo terrible or flat out Jerry Hairston terrible?I'm not saying we have to go out and get the guy but he would be an upgrade.I would however probably pass on him unless we can get him for next to nothing.

bad D and bad bat terrible. Id probably rather have Hairston a SS over lugo considering how bad Lugo has been the last few years.

TheBigLebowski
06-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Lugo will bat second once we acquire him. "Shortstop hits second, dude."

OesterPoster
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I wonder what we were thinking of offering for DeRosa

According to several in the media, it was believed to be Josh Roenicke + a minor league arm.

xavr1
06-29-2009, 02:41 PM
According to several in the media, it was believed to be Josh Roenicke + a minor league arm.

Depending on the minor league arm, its no wonder they took St. Louis' offer.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I'll take any depth. We need a SS, and despite Encarnacion coming back, anyone remember what he was doing BEFORE he got hurt? It's amazing how many think he will turn the team around with the number he was putting up before he got hurt.

lidspinner
06-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I'll take any depth. We need a SS, and despite Encarnacion coming back, anyone remember what he was doing BEFORE he got hurt? It's amazing how many think he will turn the team around with the number he was putting up before he got hurt.

I agree 100%...EE is one of my Reds Favorites but the guy was stinking it up. Maybe it was due to his injury, who knows...I do know that EE is going to need to be a .280-.300 hitter to help turn this team around..can he do it? Sure, will he is the big question....I see nothing that makes me think he will do anything more than a .240-.250 average at seasons end.....these are just thoughts, not facts as EE could bat .320 and I would gladly eat crow....I just dont see him as anythign more than below average.

cbowen2112
06-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Let's hope these rumors are the same as they were in the off-season, just rumors. I wouldn't mind a bat like Willingham, but he didn't impress me when we played at WSH.

NeilHamburger
06-29-2009, 03:47 PM
The article doesn't mention their are rumors the reds are after those players, just that those players are potential fits with the reds according to the author. Big difference. And no way the reds take Matthews, that's just the writer's speculation.

Hondo
06-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Gosh, I wonder how this team could even consider trading for Lugo or Mathews Jr... Mathews was a wonder drug guy... Lugo had one good season... And Wiggington is not the IMPACT this team Needs...

I thought when Walt got here, he would be making moves like he did in St. Louis, kinda like John M did with DeRosa... Not thumbing through wasted trades like Lugo, Mathews, and Wiggington...

I mean... I do not want Matt Holliday either... But a legit hitter like Grady Sizemore...

The Indians suck and are Trading so lets offer some good prospects for Sizemore and stick him in the 4 hole...

That would be a move for the future...

Captain Hook
06-29-2009, 04:43 PM
bad D and bad bat terrible. Id probably rather have Hairston a SS over lugo considering how bad Lugo has been the last few years.

After looking a little closer Hairston isn't much worse then Lugo.He probably isn't worth trading anything for his services.If Boston does release him I would still take him over Hairston but its so close its not worth arguing about.

Lugo's name only stood out to me because SS is the position that needs upgraded more then any other imo.We have no good answers now and nothing planed for the future at the position.

I wounder if Arizona would ever consider trading Stephen Drew.I know he is probably untouchable but the Reds could offer a lot.If the Reds would actually consider trading multiple top prospect and big league ready pitching I'd have to imagine they would listen.The D Back aren't looking too good this year and probably will make some kind of moves to improve that team.It looks like Arizona is lacking a good 1b and I know we have one in our system that a lot of teams would be interested in.We have other prospect that could also be included as well as guys that are on the big league team.It has been said that the Reds have the fire power in their system to pull off a big trade so why don't they.

I don't really like Felipe Lopez but if he can still play SS wouldn't he be a good fit.We wouldn't have to give up as much for him as we would Drew and he is hitting the ball pretty good these days.I know the Arizona and the Brewers are trying to work something out so he is available.I think Walt should at least get on the phone with the D Backs to see whats going on.

Any other ideas at SS?

GIDP
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Reds need to find a good SS.

Obviously Hanley Ramirez is one of those guys but no way we trade for him or the Marlins trade him right now.

Stephen Drew
JJ Hardy
Christian Guzman
Yunel Escobar

are 4 players I would target, Guzman is the only one that I think is really going to be on the block.

Captain Hook
06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Gosh, I wonder how this team could even consider trading for Lugo or Mathews Jr... Mathews was a wonder drug guy... Lugo had one good season... And Wiggington is not the IMPACT this team Needs...

I thought when Walt got here, he would be making moves like he did in St. Louis, kinda like John M did with DeRosa... Not thumbing through wasted trades like Lugo, Mathews, and Wiggington...

I mean... I do not want Matt Holliday either... But a legit hitter like Grady Sizemore...

The Indians suck and are Trading so lets offer some good prospects for Sizemore and stick him in the 4 hole...

That would be a move for the future...

Szemore or Paeralta or even both would be huge for the Reds.It would take a ton to get either though.I know I have mentioned some guys that are unlikely to be traded but if the Reds have so much to offer why settle for old vets that would only help this year if that.If we are going to trade away a part of the teams future then we need to get something similar to what they are trading.If we are really looking at some of the guys on the list I sure hope we're offering very little.

Hondo
06-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Reds need to find a good SS.

Obviously Hanley Ramirez is one of those guys but no way we trade for him or the Marlins trade him right now.

Stephen Drew
JJ Hardy
Christian Guzman
Yunel Escobar

are 4 players I would target, Guzman is the only one that I think is really going to be on the block.

This team needs a Right Handed Power Hitter... A Big Bat.

Red in Atl
06-29-2009, 05:10 PM
If there are no "Big Time" SS's available to us, then why make a trade period? Janish seems quite capable of playing the position with good defence, and he's hitting .260 vs. Gonzo hovering around .200 all year.

Now, if Janish plays regularly, he will probably have a BA around what Gonzo's was. But again, is it worth giving up any talent to bring in a more expensive guy to do the same thing? We must have the "D" at SS, but I can live with a crappy hitter, who will shine once in awhile.

What better option do we have?

GIDP
06-29-2009, 05:18 PM
This team needs a Right Handed Power Hitter... A Big Bat.

Where are you going to find one better than Gomes/Nix combo and one that will be a big enough of an upgrade to really make much of a difference. They really dont need a RH bat, any bat would work. They are better against lefties this year than righties as a hole so far this year but the difference is pretty little.

.730 OPS v LH
.709 OPS v RH

Holliday is gonna be on the market but is he going to be a bigger upgrade than us trying to find a better SS option than Janish/Gonzo?

3rd base is another under productive position but we have to hope that Edwin will be a decent fix for that position.

keeganbrick
06-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Lugo is soooooooo bad. Why would we even think of signing him. If Dusty would just play Dickerson and bat him lead off and make Hanigan the starter and bat him 2nd this lineup wouldnt be that bad. I'd rather see names like Atkins being mentioned since he is struggling.

winks
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I guess Im the only one who likes Janish. He seems just as good as Gonzo and probably a little better hitter once he gets a few ABs. And also anyone who thinks Peralta is a good choice at SS ask someone who watches the Tribe on aregular basis. My Father in law has complained fro 4 years he's too big no range.

GIDP
07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
I guess Im the only one who likes Janish. He seems just as good as Gonzo and probably a little better hitter once he gets a few ABs. And also anyone who thinks Peralta is a good choice at SS ask someone who watches the Tribe on aregular basis. My Father in law has complained fro 4 years he's too big no range.

I find it more funny that the Reds stuck with Gonzalez sucking but are unwilling to give Janish even a decent shot of playing. Instead hes only played 50 more innings at short than Hairston has this year and only 4 more starts.

They kept Gonzo in because of his D but refuse to play Janish because of his bat.

Puzzling.

Fon Duc Tow
07-01-2009, 01:41 PM
If these are the players Walt is targeting, I would say don't even bother.

aceace
07-01-2009, 05:22 PM
So many teams in the hunt that most are buyers or holders rather than sellers. Three weeks should be more telling as decisions will have to be made. I agree with who ever said Dickerson and Hanigan should be playing everyday. If someone needs a catcher Hernandez could be had.