PDA

View Full Version : Ian Snell in Indy

GOYA
06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
http://louisville.bats.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090628&content_id=5587778&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Coming down from the Pirates did him good. 17 Ks including 13 straight Ks against Toledo in 7 innings work.

The Bats play 6 in a row against Indy starting July 2nd.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2009, 01:08 AM
I'd like to see the Reds go after Snell, though I'm not sure if the Pirates would trade him within the division.

redsfandan
06-30-2009, 06:30 AM
GM: Snell deal 'mistake'
General manager Neal Huntington conceded, with typical candor, that the Pirates erred in signing Snell to a multiyear contract extension in March of last year.

"As we stand here today, it certainly feels like a mistake on our part," Huntington said yesterday. "On paper, you had a sub-4.00 ERA, a 200-inning starter, we didn't guarantee a fourth or fifth year, and we got a year of free agency. On paper, removing the human element, it made all the sense in the world."

The extension, worked out between Huntington and Snell's agent, Joe Sroba, guaranteed Snell $8.6 million, including $3 million this year, $4.2 million next year and club options for 2011 and 2012 that now have virtually no chance of being exercised.

"It has to be the right contract, the right player, the right time," Huntington said. "We had the right contract, the right time, but you could argue very easily that we missed on the player. When I came here, I was determined to learn from mistakes I'd seen elsewhere, where teams don't take advantage of knowledge of their own players. At the time, we felt it would be a minimal risk. It's certainly not a $50 million mistake. It's not a $20 million mistake. Standing here today, it still feels like a mistake."

Huntington acknowledged, too, that he had been trying to trade Snell for "several months" but that he sought a legitimate baseball return "and not just a salary dump." That approach, given the latest development, is sure to soften.

"Our focus now is to salvage something from this situation," Huntington said, "whether that's a trade, or Ian comes back -- maybe that's in the bullpen -- we'll see."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09180/980537-63.stm#ixzz0JuM9VsMT&C

HokieRed
06-30-2009, 09:37 AM
I'd like to see the Reds go after Snell, though I'm not sure if the Pirates would trade him within the division.

Agree. This may be a place to take a chance, depending, of course, on the inside story.

GIDP
06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I heard this guy is a mental mess.

penantboundreds
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I would love to go get him, he seems like he has the arm and mechanics, but has just been toyed with and is not happy in Pittsburgh.

He also might benefit from being caught by someone better than what they have in Pitt, just a guess.

REDblooded
06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I sat on the Indians dugout tonight, and said hey to Snell... He tossed me a ball from the dugout. I say it's a sign.

Degenerate39
07-01-2009, 12:25 AM
What would it take to get Snell?

reds1869
07-01-2009, 08:15 AM
What would it take to get Snell?

Judging from the pirates recent trades, a couple of nearly ready prospects. They've loaded up on outfielders so my guess would a deal involving one of our AAA SPs and an infielder.

REDblooded
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Judging from the pirates recent trades, a couple of nearly ready prospects. They've loaded up on outfielders so my guess would a deal involving one of our AAA SPs and an infielder.

Snell does have a pretty awful contract... So the Pirates don't have a ton of leverage.

GIDP
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Id give them Rosales, and Dorn.