PDA

View Full Version : For the Zambrano lovers out there (and the people worried about the Cubbies) ...

redsfandan
06-30-2009, 06:19 AM
The guy definitely has talent but is that all he has? Anyway, I saw this on mlbtraderumors.com...

Odds & Ends: Nationals, Mets, Big Z
By Drew Silva [June 29 at 7:05pm CST]
A roundup of links for a slow Monday evening in the baseball world...

Presented without comment: In a poll taken this afternoon, 57.2 percent of Chicago Tribune readers agreed with Phil Rogers, who opined Monday morning that the Cubs should waive Carlos Zambrano.
Here's the Tribune article from monday...

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-29-rogers-chicago-jun29,0,3124193.column

chicagotribune.com
Perfect time for Cubs to waive bye-bye to Carlos Zambrano by Phil Rogers On Baseball June 29, 2009

As Lou Piniella was saying on Friday, enough's enough.

Get Carlos Zambrano out of here, even if the Cubs have to give him away. He's not the guy you want as the ace of a curse-busting team, and at this point, it's wishful thinking that he'll ever mature into that guy.

Proving that I did not attend Kellogg, Wharton or even the Acme School of Business, I offer this proposition for Jim Hendry: First thing Monday morning, put Zambrano on waivers. If anyone claims him and the $62.75 million left on his contract, which runs through 2012, immediately trade him for whatever is being offered, from a bag of balls to a 32-year-old minor-leaguer.

Because Hendry gave Zambrano a full no-trade clause in a 2007 contract extension, Zambrano can choose: Either go where he's being dealt, waving goodbye to Wrigley Field, or block the trade and deal with the knowledge that you're playing for a team that believes it can live without you.

What a show Zambrano put on Sunday at U.S. Cellular Field.

Given the Cubs' sorry display of the previous two days, when Piniella called Milton Bradley "a piece of " and then got upset that the confidentiality of the clubhouse had been breached, allegedly by an unknown White Sox employee, the setting called for professionalism.

Unfortunately for the North Side drama queens, their ace once again reported for work wearing size 30 shoes and a red rubber ball on his nose. Zambrano pitched badly and lost his cool for about the zillionth time, venting his frustrations on Sox hitters en route to a 6-0 loss.

Zambrano clearly drilled Dewayne Wise in the butt on the first pitch after he had sniffed out a suicide squeeze attempt but threw wildly past Geovany Soto, allowing rookie Chris Getz to steal home. Home plate umpire Brian Runge should have ejected Zambrano, as it looked to me like the second time he had intentionally drilled a Sox hitter.

He also ricocheted a pitch off Scott Podsednik's rear end in the third inning. The motivation here wasn't nearly as clear, but Sox players believe he was angry about either Podsednik's four-hit game Saturday or, more likely, his unorthodox dance toward the front of the batter's box during a pitcher's delivery.

Sox manager Ozzie Guillen played Zambrano like a Stradivarius after Podsednik was hit.

He let Zambrano throw repeatedly to first, holding Podsednik close, and never gave him the steal sign. He hoped a distracted Zambrano would hang a pitch to Alexei Ramirez or Jermaine Dye, and that's exactly what Zambrano did, with Ramirez drilling a two-run homer on a 1-2 pitch.

Zambrano then unraveled like, well, like he often does.

The sequence that allowed the Sox to add on to a 3-0 lead in the sixth was classic. Zambrano's instincts were good enough to anticipate a suicide squeeze with Getz on third and Wise, the No. 9 hitter , batting. He just couldn't execute. Soto had no chance to catch a fastball that sailed over the right-handed batter's box. Fuming, Zambrano hit Wise with the next pitch.

"It was a cutter that cut too much," he claimed later.

He offered an even stronger defense when asked if Podsednik was also hit with a cut fastball. "Yeah, cutter," said Zambrano, who allowed five runs in 5 1/3 innings. "The ball cut a lot. I don't want to put Podsednik on base. I'm not crazy. Nobody wants to have Podsednik on base."

Zambrano had warmed up for the predictably high-energy start with a war of words with Sox pitching coach Don Cooper, who had been critical of Zambrano's on-field meltdown on May 27. He tried to make a joke of Cooper's 1-6 big-league record and bragged about his no-hitter.

Then, as usual, he went out and did not deliver.

There are many reasons that a Cubs' team with more than $140 million invested in payroll is in fourth place in the National League Central, and one of them is a front-runner, not a difference-maker.

The Cubs are 0-5 in Zambrano's starts in the playoffs, being outscored 31-15. We'll dismiss the 2003 NL Championship Series as old news and blame Piniella for lifting him when he was in a 1-1 game against Brandon Webb in the 2007 playoff opener, but his pitching had as much to do with the ugly Game 2 loss to Los Angeles last year as did the four infield errors.

Hendry had a chance to let Zambrano walk as a free agent after 2007, the season in which he beat up catcher Michael Barrett during a game at Wrigley, but injuries to Mark Prior and Kerry Wood gave Zambrano a hammer.

Too bad the one he now swings makes funny noises, like the one Moe favored when whacking Larry and Curly.
and tuesday...

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-30-cubs-zambrano-jun30,0,452150.story

chicagotribune.com
[B]Readers vote for Cubs to unload Carlos Zambrano By Phil Rogers Tribune reporter 6:30 PM CDT, June 29, 2009

Your team wants Carlos Zambrano? Go ahead, take him.

That's what I proposed after Zambrano turned in another knuckleheaded performance on Sunday at U.S. Cellular Field. I suggested Cubs GM Jim Hendry put him on waivers and essentially give him away if any team would take on his salary.

It struck many as a radical idea, but not most.

To my great surprise, I am in the majority on this one. The Tribune received more than 11,000 responses to a reader poll, and 57.2 percent of you agreed with me.

It was clear from the responses what a polarizing factor Zambrano has become for Cubs fans.

"This is Sammy Sosa all over again and unfortunately the Cubs management did not learn anything from that fiasco," wrote one reader.

Another suggested an immediate resignation -- by me.

"You're an embarrassment," he wrote.

Said another: "The minute he fails you want to cast him aside because he isn't Tom Seaver or Jim Palmer. ... Bob Gibson hit batters. Quit being a pansy!"

And finally, this thought, which a reader made to my colleague Dave van Dyck: "Too bad Big Z didn't hit anyone in the head."
The headcase that is Zambrano, the war of words between Bradley and Sweet Lou, another pitcher with a ton of talent (Harden) who is just waiting to take his annual 1-2 month vacation on the DL, and an unimpressive offense. They were divisional favorites at the start of the season but are the odds stacked against them?

pahster
06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Why does it matter if 57% of the people who read Rogers' story online and then chose to vote think Zambrano needs to go? That's a convenience sample, which means any findings you get from it are irrelevant.

I don't even know what Rogers is complaining about. Zambrano has been the same pitcher he's been for the last several years. And yes, he acts like a petulant peacock on the field, but that's nothing new either. This is just lazy writing.

Screwball
06-30-2009, 08:53 AM
If the Reds had Zambrano they go to the playoffs.

reds1869
06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
If the Reds had Zambrano they go to the playoffs.

Yep. It's unpopular to say it, but he is a real difference maker. It always amazes me that otherwise rational people, people who rely religiously on stats, will throw all of that out the window when dealing with a volatile character. As I've said before and I'll say again, I'll take Big Z any day. In my opinion he might be a little more stable when taken out of the blinding spotlight of the North Side anyway.

westofyou
06-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Dan Patrick was talking about this article yesterday, he noted that they just signed him to a no trade clause... so I guess Rogers poll and his own vote don't mean squat.

BCubb2003
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Maybe Dusty can fix him.

edabbs44
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Yep. It's unpopular to say it, but he is a real difference maker. It always amazes me that otherwise rational people, people who rely religiously on stats, will throw all of that out the window when dealing with a volatile character. As I've said before and I'll say again, I'll take Big Z any day. In my opinion he might be a little more stable when taken out of the blinding spotlight of the North Side anyway.

Many said the same when Bradley was available. These types of guys always look really appealing until you get them on your team and then the organization cannot get rid of them fast enough.

HeatherC1212
06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm probably the minority but I wouldn't want Zambrano on my team. He may be a great pitcher but he also seems like a huge headcase which would be a big distraction in the clubhouse. :eek:

buckeyenut
06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
If the Reds had Zambrano they go to the playoffs.I'd offer the cubs Bronson Arroyo and Wily Tavaras for Zambrano and see if they bite. Opens up a spot and makes the $$ coming back more palatable. Bring up a kid to replace Wily

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't think you're in the minority Heather. Not with that contract. Zambrano is one of the most-overrated pitchers in today's game. What's funny is everyone thinks he is some power pitcher. They should check out his low Ks/9 innings and they might be surprised.