PDA

View Full Version : My Goodness whats gone wrong for Austin Kearns?

Ghosts of 1990
06-30-2009, 10:15 AM
His value over replacement player (VORP) rating is minus-3.8, meaning the Nationals could have scored 3.8 more runs this season with a readily available replacement player off the street than they could have with Kearns in the lineup. The figure is 734th among 844 players ranked by Baseball Prospectus, just behind Wil Nieves (who is making $445,000 this year) and ahead of only Ronnie Belliard on the Nationals' roster.

Full Article: Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/29/nationals-insider-determining-his-value/)

GIDP
06-30-2009, 10:19 AM
too much playstation

Fon Duc Tow
06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Maybe I am oversimplifying things but wasn't he good at first, then got pudgy, then he wasn't good anymore?

...and aren't he and Dunn good friends?

Red in Atl
06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
RAY KING!!!

He has sucked hard since the big man fell on him. Maybe it's a huge psychological issue, and now he just thinks he's a little man.

One of the biggest flops since Kal Daniels...or Willie Green...or Brandon Larson...or...(insert most Bengals #1 picks)

aceace
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Maybe he just hates playing for the Nationals and wants traded.

JayBruceFan
06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
On any other team he would be in AA or AAA

Ghosts of 1990
06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
First 58 games of 2003 he looked like Manny Ramirez. Everything was raked. He couldn't be stopped. I really thought we had a force as a right handed hitter that would change a lot about our organization. And then one thing after another continued to happen to this kid

BuckeyeRed27
06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
It is really sad to see him perform this poorly. Obviously playing for Washington I don't ever get to see him play, but he really does look out of shape. I don't remember him having work ethic problems when he was coming up but maybe something has happened (injury related or something else).

redsfanmia
06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
RAY KING!!!

He has sucked hard since the big man fell on him. Maybe it's a huge psychological issue, and now he just thinks he's a little man.

One of the biggest flops since Kal Daniels...or Willie Green...or Brandon Larson...or...(insert most Bengals #1 picks)

Kal Daniels was not a flop, he got hurt yet still had a pretty good career.

BluegrassRedleg
07-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining what happened to him. He looked like a can't-miss guy when he came up with the Reds. In hindsight, it's amazing how little he and Dunn accomplished when it once looked like they were going to be the cornerstones of a great lineup.

gilpdawg
07-04-2009, 06:03 AM
I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining what happened to him. He looked like a can't-miss guy when he came up with the Reds. In hindsight, it's amazing how little he accomplished when it once looked like he was going to be the cornerstones of a great lineup.
FFY.

Slyder
07-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm at a loss to even attempt explaining what happened to him. He looked like a can't-miss guy when he came up with the Reds. In hindsight, it's amazing how little he and Dunn accomplished when it once looked like they were going to be the cornerstones of a great lineup.

I think Dunn's accomplished quite a bit as a hitter. Can't fault him cause the Reds GMs continually gave him crap for a pitching staff and a cheap skate owner unwilling to even loosen the purse strings even a little bit. Not many guys can say they will get you 40 HRs, near 100 RBIs, 100 Runs scored (03-07), and 100 BBs for the past 5 years.

BluegrassRedleg
07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I think Dunn's accomplished quite a bit as a hitter. Can't fault him cause the Reds GMs continually gave him crap for a pitching staff and a cheap skate owner unwilling to even loosen the purse strings even a little bit. Not many guys can say they will get you 40 HRs, near 100 RBIs, 100 Runs scored (03-07), and 100 BBs for the past 5 years.

That was more of a "collective" comment based on the team results. Dunn's always been productive -- and I've been a fan; used to honor him with my screen name here -- but he never maximized his run-producing potential or carried a winning team. Despite his numbers, there was virtually no market for him via free agency. In hindsight, I don't think anyone would have seen that coming for him or Kearns 6 or 7 years ago.

redsfanmia
07-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Kearns had a questenable work ethic when he was with the Reds and is and always was not in the shape he should be in. Kearns is now just not very good.

sivman17
07-07-2009, 03:00 AM
I was so mad when we traded away Kearns. He was young, he had power, and he had a rocket for an arm in right. Felipe and Kearns were two of my favorite Reds at the time, and I was still mad about that a year later. But, Kearns has done absolutely nothing since. Still wish we had Felipe, though. He's batted close to .300 since the time he left.

Az. Reds Fan
07-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I was so mad when we traded away Kearns. He was young, he had power, and he had a rocket for an arm in right. Felipe and Kearns were two of my favorite Reds at the time, and I was still mad about that a year later. But, Kearns has done absolutely nothing since. Still wish we had Felipe, though. He's batted close to .300 since the time he left.

Maybe there is still hope for Austin...Lopez was terrible as well in Washington and has raked since he left. It's time for AK to flee Washington.