PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Encarnacion activated from DL

mbgrayson
06-30-2009, 03:20 PM
EE not playing for Louisville today in their televised game on MLB Network. Is he headed for Cincinnati? We should hear something soon...

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2009, 03:47 PM
From Fay:

I got a couple of e-mails from people watching the Bats broadcast saying Edwin Encarnacion is not with the Bats. Obviously, he's not in the lineup for the Reds, either. We can't get into the clubhouse until 3:40. So I can't confirm if he's here or not. No transaction has been announced

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a5590d22b-d6f2-4aab-a7ec-30eb43dc039b&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Homer Bailey
06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
At least Willy is leading off against the best pitcher in the NL.

TRF
06-30-2009, 03:51 PM

please god no....

Dusty never learns.

RedsMan3203
06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
4 for 4 with.... Only Willy T can tell you this...

Kc61
06-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Something seems odd here. EE's name in trade rumors. EE not with team or with Bats. Dickerson out of the lineup against the righty. Hmmmm. . . . . .

Homer Bailey
06-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Something seems odd here. EE's name in trade rumors. EE not with team or with Bats. Dickerson out of the lineup against the righty. Hmmmm. . . . . .

Sounds like a normal day in Reds country to me.

reds44
06-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Nothing is really odd. Dusty is our manager.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I think Kc61 is referring to this post:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76830

It would certainly be "Bold" in Paul Daugherty's words...

reds44
06-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I think Kc61 is referring to this post...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this ends up being nothing, but I don't know if I would trade EE and Dickerson for a few months of Holliday anyway.

TRF
06-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I think Kc61 is referring to this post:

It would certainly be "Bold" in Paul Daugherty's words...

ugh. great plan. the left side of the infield can combine to post a .600 OPS.

reds44
06-30-2009, 04:27 PM
As well as CF.

flyer85
06-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Something seems odd here. EE's name in trade rumors. EE not with team or with Bats. Dickerson out of the lineup against the righty. Hmmmm. . . . . .business as usual

TRF
06-30-2009, 04:33 PM
As well as CF.

He'd have to IMPROVE to do that.

Ltlabner
06-30-2009, 04:37 PM

It's a new plan:

Have lower OPS bats in the lineup but make it up in volume.

TRF
06-30-2009, 04:41 PM
It's a new plan:

Have lower OPS's in the lineup but make it up in volume.

interesting. So if Hairston AND Rosales play 3B, and Janish AND Richar play SS, and Taveras AND McD, AND Stubbs play CF the Reds would have an awesome lineup..

QUANTITY!!!

reds44
06-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Apparently they showed EE in the dugout with the Bats during the game. Probably was just a day off.

TRF
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Apparently they showed EE in the dugout with the Bats during the game. Probably was just a day off.

That's great. unless he is hurting, what he needs is a day off, from you know, all the time off.

mbgrayson
John Fay update:

UPDATE: Encarnacion is not listed with extra men on the lineup card. And I haven't seen him.

reds44
That's great. unless he is hurting, what he needs is a day off, from you know, all the time off.
Nothing has to be more exciting for a guy on rehab, in AAA, in "Gwinnet" then getting to sit on the bench.

traderumor
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Nothing has to be more exciting for a guy on rehab, in AAA, in "Gwinnet" then getting to sit on the bench.Edwin was probably hiding somewhere sleeping :)

reds44
06-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Edwin was probably hiding somewhere sleeping :)
Just more proof he's not scrappy enough. Scrappy players never sleep.

Sea Ray
06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
If a trade is not finalized yet then they'd still sit EE until it is, so this doesn't mean there isn't something brewing. I've rarely heard of off days for rehabbing major leaguers

flyer85
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
If a trade is not finalized yet then they'd still sit EE until it is, so this doesn't mean there isn't something brewing. I've rarely heard of off days for rehabbing major leaguershe's pacing himself

traderumor
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
If a trade is not finalized yet then they'd still sit EE until it is, so this doesn't mean there isn't something brewing. I've rarely heard of off days for rehabbing major leaguersMaybe its precautionary or his hand was hurting.

BRM
06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
business as usual

Yep. All the talk about Dusty starting to "get it" with respect to the CF issue was nothing but wishful thinking. Unless Dickerson is being traded. Doubt it....I'm sure it's just Dusty being Dusty.

Boss-Hog
06-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I know we've said this before, but I'll say it again for the record - lineup discussion/ranting is not allowed (for reasons we've already covered) and particularly not in completely unrelated threads such as this.

BRM
06-30-2009, 05:02 PM
So lineup discussion also means PT discussion? Because that's what is being ranted about. Dickerson's lack of PT.

Boss-Hog
06-30-2009, 05:11 PM
So lineup discussion also means PT discussion? Because that's what is being ranted about. Dickerson's lack of PT.

To me, that comment, which started all of the dialogue completely unrelated to the thread topic, is a bit of both. If you want to discuss Taveras playing over Dickerson, I know that we have no shortage of existing threads for that, so I don't see the need to bring that discussion over to this one.

BRM
06-30-2009, 05:13 PM
To me, that comment, which started all of the dialogue completely unrelated to the thread topic, is a bit of both.

I missed that one. I still take it as more of a PT comment but it is unrelated to the thread nonetheless. I'll stop my CF rants in this thread anyway. My apologies for the derailing.

Boss-Hog
06-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I missed that one. I still take it as more of a PT comment but it is unrelated to the thread nonetheless. I'll stop my CF rants in this thread anyway. My apologies for the derailing.
Please refer to the second sentence I later added to the post you quoted.

BRM
06-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Viola pitched in the Bats game so does that squash the trade "rumor"? Wasn't it EE, Dickerson and Viola to Oakland?

BRM
06-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Please refer to the second sentence I later added to the post you quoted.

I saw that after I posted and I agree with you. That's why I apologized.

Boss-Hog
06-30-2009, 05:18 PM
I saw that after I posted and I agree with you. That's why I apologized.
Good deal...

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Man, you know how much of a trainwreck the Reds' 3B situation has been this year when even I'm excited to get EE back. I am not a EE fan and look forward to the day when the Reds have a 3B that is above league average (it's bound to happen eventually, isn't it?). However, he is clearly the best thing the Reds have to offer this year. Jerry Hariston makes EE look like a Gold Glover at 3B and EE racked up the errors the last few years (led all MLB 3B last year I think). If Hairston played a full year at 3B, he'd set new records for errors. But that's not his fault. He's not a 3B. Rosales I thought would be lightning in a bottle for a couple weeks -- turned out the lightning lasted one night and then it was just a lot of thunder and hustle (and outs).

So, even one of the biggest EE non-fans on this board most likely... even I can't wait to have him back. Don't our pitchers have a higher collective OPS than our third basemen this year? Of course Owings skews the stats a bit, but that's still terrible. An OPS in the .400s from our third basemen? And yes, EE contributed a lot to that early in the year, but he wouldn't be nearly that bad over the long haul.

BRM
06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
From Fay:

False alarm: Edwin Encarnacion remains on rehab. He was given today off. That's a little odd because he was scheduled to play today and be off tomorrow. But I'd told there's nothing more to it.

"I'm not counting on it," Dusty Baker said when asked if Encarnacion would be back before the end of this homestand. "Optimisitically maybe."

Encarnacion's rebab is limited to 20 days, so it has to end July 10 -- a week from Friday.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 05:35 PM
From Fay:

False alarm: Edwin Encarnacion remains on rehab. He was given today off. That's a little odd because he was scheduled to play today and be off tomorrow. But I'd told there's nothing more to it.

"I'm not counting on it," Dusty Baker said when asked if Encarnacion would be back before the end of this homestand. "Optimisitically maybe."

Encarnacion's rebab is limited to 20 days, so it has to end July 10 -- a week from Friday.

:rolleyes:

reds44
06-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Was anybody honestly surprised by that?

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
It's amazing with all the sportswriters losing their jobs that Fay still has one (and a damn good one).

mbgrayson
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I wonder if part of bringing up Drew Sutton was that he was on the 40 man roster, and EE isn't.

Remember that when they moved EE to the 60 day disabled list on June 20th, they moved Danny Richar onto the 40 man roster into EE's slot.

When EE has to come off his rehab assignment, they have a problem. Won't they have to DFA someone to make room? I count a full 40 men on the 40 man roster....Can Alsonso be placed on the 60 day DL with his hand injury?

I wonder how much this entered into the decision to leave EE at Louisville...

Big Klu
07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I wonder if part of bringing up Drew Sutton was that he was on the 40 man roster, and EE isn't.

Remember that when they moved EE to the 60 day disabled list on June 20th, they moved Danny Richar onto the 40 man roster into EE's slot.

When EE has to come off his rehab assignment, they have a problem. Won't they have to DFA someone to make room? I count a full 40 men on the 40 man roster....Can Alsonso be placed on the 60 day DL with his hand injury?

I wonder how much this entered into the decision to leave EE at Louisville...

The Reds can easily clear a spot on the 40-man roster by transfering Wilkin Castillo from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2009, 07:21 PM
What about EE?
Posted by JohnFay at 7/2/2009 6:22 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Danny Richar was pinch-hit for in the ninth inning because he was too sore to swing the bat. He hurt himself sliding into home last night.

I'd not sure how serious the injury is -- I've got a call into Walt Jocketty -- but you've got to wonder if this could hasten Edwin Encarnacion's return.

They wouldn't want to play short against the Cardinals, would they?

I'll update if I hear back from Jocketty.

Encarnacion was playing for Louisville against Indianapolis. He started the night 0-for-2.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a1010e901-f715-4098-8ce4-7435e5488054&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Chip R
07-02-2009, 08:37 PM

He's still on the 40 man roster but his spot doesn't count against it since he's on the 60 day DL.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2009, 08:53 PM
From Fay:

Just talked to Walt Jocketty. Had to step anyway from my dinner at a fancy Italian place do so (Boudinot LaRosa's).

Richar will have an MRI tomorrow. "We really won't know until then," Jocketty said.

If Richar has to go on the DL, it could hasten Edwin Encarnacion's return from his minor league rehab.

"It might," Jocketty said.

That's not Plan A.

"We want him to get as many at-bats as he can down there," Jocketty said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3a1010e901-f715-4098-8ce4-7435e5488054&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

reds44
07-02-2009, 08:55 PM
EE is 2-2 in game 2 and is now batting .278 with an .881 OPS. Just call him up.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2009, 08:58 PM
EE is 2-2 in game 2 and is now batting .278 with an .881 OPS. Just call him up.

I agree. Even if he's not 100% ready he's still an upgrade over Hairston/Richar.

mbgrayson
07-03-2009, 12:22 AM
And he played two seven inning games today....call him up for St. Louis!

Ron Madden
07-03-2009, 02:52 AM
I would hope Walt and Dusty understand that Edwins production at 80% is a better bet than what we've been seeing from those filling in for him.

GAC
07-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Wow! EE's gonna lose his 3B job to Rosales in Louisville. :lol:

bucksfan2
07-03-2009, 09:42 AM
From Fay:

Just talked to Walt Jocketty. Had to step anyway from my dinner at a fancy Italian place do so (Boudinot LaRosa's).

Richar will have an MRI tomorrow. "We really won't know until then," Jocketty said.

If Richar has to go on the DL, it could hasten Edwin Encarnacion's return from his minor league rehab.

"It might," Jocketty said.

That's not Plan A.

"We want him to get as many at-bats as he can down there," Jocketty said.

Thats BS. Im sorry but if Edwin is a major league player he needs to be up here as soon as possible. I just don't buy sending him down on a rehab assignment for 20 days. And then to top it off they give him a day off. I wonder if there is more to the story or not, but 10+ games should be enough to get a MLB player back up to speed.

Matt700wlw
07-03-2009, 09:52 AM
I've been as hard on Edwin as anybody here....but if he's ready to roll...bring him up!

He's still this team's third baseman, as frustrating as he can be sometimes....he still hit 25 homers last year, he still has the ABILITY to be a solid ballplayer.....this team needs all the pop they can get right now.

Kc61
07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I've been as hard on Edwin as anybody here....but if he's ready to roll...bring him up!

He's still this team's third baseman, as frustrating as he can be sometimes....he still hit 25 homers last year, he still has the ABILITY to be a solid ballplayer.....this team needs all the pop they can get right now.

My guess is that since EE apparently once had a setback with this injury, they are being cautious. That he played two last night is good. Perhaps they want to see how he reacted to that.

Seriously, some of these posts. Walt and Dusty are well aware that EE is an important hitter, Walt himself keeps saying wait until we are at full strength. Really.

But they don't want this guy to come back, get hurt again, and have to sit.

It's probably that simple and I'm sure he'll be back next week, if not this weekend.

kaldaniels
07-03-2009, 10:09 AM
My guess is that since EE apparently once had a setback with this injury, they are being cautious. That he played two last night is good. Perhaps they want to see how he reacted to that.

Seriously, some of these posts. Walt and Dusty are well aware that EE is an important hitter, Walt himself keeps saying wait until we are at full strength. Really.

But they don't want this guy to come back, get hurt again, and have to sit.

It's probably that simple and I'm sure he'll be back next week, if not this weekend.

Yeah I agree that I don't want him hurt because he comes back early...but doesn't he have the same odds for the most part of getting hurt on his rehab as he does if he got called up.

Chip R
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah I agree that I don't want him hurt because he comes back early...but doesn't he have the same odds for the most part of getting hurt on his rehab as he does if he got called up.

Now you're just making sense. What do the Reds need with another bat in their lineup? They are scoring tons of runs.

bucksfan2
07-03-2009, 10:26 AM

He would be the only issue I would be concerned with. I thought Edwin hurt his hand on a check swing. It seems like that really is the danger now trying to stop a violent swing half way. I would imagine that you would be fooled less in in the minors because of the quality of pitching.

Scrap Irony
07-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm guessing Encarnacion will never play again for Cincinnati. He's being shined up for a trade. (I'd like to see him in Cincinnati last week, but, hey, it's not like I'm in charge.)

BCubb2003
07-03-2009, 11:23 AM
If it's concern about re-injury, why keep him down there? I think the data will show that the people of Louisville get injured at a rate similar to the rest of the world.

I(heart)Freel
07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm guessing Encarnacion will never play again for Cincinnati. He's being shined up for a trade. (I'd like to see him in Cincinnati last week, but, hey, it's not like I'm in charge.)

But they can't trade a guy on the DL. So even if that were true, they need to bring him up to trade him.

westofyou
07-03-2009, 11:56 AM
But they can't trade a guy on the DL. So even if that were true, they need to bring him up to trade him.

Yes they can trade a guy on the DL.. that said he's not being traded, injured, has a year left on his contract and is at a low point in his trade worth for the past 2 years, he's not going anywhere.

Kc61
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Generally, they test the guy for awhile at AAA and then they bring him up. Usually they don't test the guy out at the major league level until they know he's ready.

So usually, for example, a rehabbing starting pitcher pitches deep into games in the minors. Then don't bring him to the majors until after he gets through that ok.

So, yes, he has a chance to get hurt at AAA. But they test him out there. They can remove him mid-way if it isn't going well. They can see how he reacts the next day after he plays at AAA.

When he passes the test they bring him.

Highlifeman21
07-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Yes they can trade a guy on the DL.. that said he's not being traded, injured, has a year left on his contract and is at a low point in his trade worth for the past 2 years, he's not going anywhere.

Which will prove interesting for 2010.

Who mans 3B for the Reds?

westofyou
07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Which will prove interesting for 2010.

Who mans 3B for the Reds?

I believe the Reds aren't worried about next years 3rd baseman at this juncture, they have a guy who has played the last few years signed and injured, they have bigger fish to fry at SS and CF.

I(heart)Freel
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Sorry, I understood it to be no trades. As it turns out, it just takes commissioner approval.

The rule:

Injured players may not be traded without permission of the Commissioner nor may they be optioned to the minors, though they may be assigned to a minor league club for rehabilitation for a limited amount of time (30 days for pitchers, 20 for non-pitchers).

bucksfan2
07-03-2009, 01:51 PM

I thought thats what held up the Owings trade last year, him being on the DL.

Edwin's value is all across the board. Just look at the amount of different opinions and projections of Edwin on RZ. If I were the GM of the Reds I would look to move Edwin to someone who projects him much higher than I do. I don't think you sell at a low point with someone with Edwin's ceiling in correlation to age and experience.

Falls City Beer
07-03-2009, 02:10 PM
According to CTrent;

EdE is off DL; Richar is on.

kaldaniels
07-03-2009, 02:16 PM
According to CTrent;

:thumbup:

Big Klu
07-03-2009, 02:26 PM
According to CTrent;

I figured that Richar was going on the DL when Dusty pinch-hit Owings for him. Richar was physically unable to swing a bat.

Buckeye33
07-03-2009, 02:33 PM
According to CTrent;

Did his website change address' again? ctrentrosecrans.com hasn't been updated since the Hopper trade.

I(heart)Freel
07-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Did his website change address' again? ctrentrosecrans.com hasn't been updated since the Hopper trade.

Best way to follow him and get the timely news is twitter.

http://twitter.com/ctrent

I don't think you need an account to look at his feed. I could be wrong.

mbgrayson
07-03-2009, 02:42 PM
From John Fay's blog:

Encarnacion returns; Richar to DL
Posted by TomGroeschen at 7/3/2009 2:13 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

The Reds announced that 3B Edwin Encarnacion has been activated from the DL. INF Danny Richar (shoulder) has been placed on the DL.

Encarnacion (chipped fracture in left wrist) has been out since April 28. He made 11 rehab apps at Class AAA Louisville (.270, 2hr, 8rbi). Richar suffered torn labrum/left shoulder sliding home in Wednesday's game.

RedsManRick
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Getting EE's bat back in the lineup is going to be a real nice boost.

Brutus
07-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I thought thats what held up the Owings trade last year, him being on the DL.

Edwin's value is all across the board. Just look at the amount of different opinions and projections of Edwin on RZ. If I were the GM of the Reds I would look to move Edwin to someone who projects him much higher than I do. I don't think you sell at a low point with someone with Edwin's ceiling in correlation to age and experience.

You are basically correct about Owings. He was one of the infamous "PTBNL" trades. The Reds simply had to wait for him to be taken off the DL before he could officially be named as the last piece of the puzzle. The rule, of course, permits that to be waived pending commissioner approval but that's hardly ever used.

traderumor
07-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I figured that Richar was going on the DL when Dusty pinch-hit Owings for him. Richar was physically unable to swing a bat.All players need to quit sliding headfirst into home. The catcher put a hard tag on him and that was it for his shoulder, two in about a week. Slide feet first, men.

11larkin11
07-03-2009, 02:50 PM

And defense. I don't care who you are and how much you hate EE, EE's defense>Hairston's defense.

traderumor
07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Getting EE's bat back in the lineup is going to be a real nice boost.Couldn't come at a better time.

11larkin11
07-03-2009, 02:51 PM
All players need to quit sliding headfirst into home. The catcher put a hard tag on him and that was it for his shoulder, two in about a week. Slide feet first, men.

I never slid feet first. Its much easier to manuever around the defensive player and touch home with a finger than it is to touch with a foot. I don't mind it at all.

jojo
07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
'bout dang time for EE......

If someone can start an EE thread, maybe we can let the epic Taveras thread fade away into the archives.... :cool:

mbgrayson
07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
From Hal McCoy's blog:

Encarnacion returns to Reds
By Brian Kollars | Friday, July 3, 2009, 02:33 PM

This just in from Reds media relations:

Today the Reds placed on the 15-day disabled list IF Danny Richar and returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 60-day disabled list 3B Edwin Encarnacion.

Richar suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder sliding head first into home plate in the third inning of Wednesday’s 1-0 win vs Ari.

Encarnacion had been on the disabled list since 4/28 with a chip fracture in his left wrist … he made 11 rehab apps at Class AAA Louisville (.270, 2hr, 8rbi).

SirFelixCat
07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Can we get a sticky announcing EdE up and Richar down please?

camisadelgolf
07-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Yonder Alonso, Bill Bray, Wilkin Castillo, and Danny Richar are four players the Reds could add to the 60-day DL before the end of the season to clear up room on the 40-man roster. In other words, in order for the Reds to add someone to the 40-man roster, they won't need to lose anyone in the near future to make it happen.

lollipopcurve
07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm glad he's back, but I'm not sure what to expect. In the past, he's come back strong after being in Louisville. Let's hope some of that mojo rubs off again.

Mario-Rijo
07-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Yonder Alonso, Bill Bray, Wilkin Castillo, and Danny Richar are four players the Reds could add to the 60-day DL before the end of the season to clear up room on the 40-man roster. In other words, in order for the Reds to add someone to the 40-man roster, they won't need to lose anyone in the near future to make it happen.

They aren't gonna do that with Alonso he'll be back before the end of the season. Bray as well as he would then accumulate MLB service time. Now the other 2 I don't know why they would even wait until they needed to add someone.

GAC
07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
All players need to quit sliding headfirst into home. The catcher put a hard tag on him and that was it for his shoulder, two in about a week. Slide feet first, men.

Unless it's this.....

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/rose-fosse.jpg

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2008/06/10/y5HZ5UOK.jpg

reds44
07-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't care how anybody feels about EE, he's an upgrade from Adam Rosales, Paul Janish, and Danny Richar. The team just got A LOT better. He'll be a much welcomed offensive boost.

Big Klu
07-03-2009, 04:07 PM

IIRC, Castillo and Richar were called up on the same day, and now they both go down (likely for the season) with the same injury.

Reds Fanatic
07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
He is on vacation this week that is why he has not had the normal daily updates as far as I know.

reds44
07-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Edwin's not in the lineup tonight. Odd.

Tom Servo
07-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Save_Us_EE 28

reds44
07-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Encarnacion, activated today from the DL, might play Saturday.
"I've got to see him a day or so first," manager Dusty Baker said. "I might play him tomorrow. We'll see."

Encarnacion: "I'm happy to be back. I feel 100 percent ready to help the team win games. I feel I can a lot for my team to help win the division."

-Fay

Chip R
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Richar was physically unable to swing a bat.

So is most of the team. ;)

westofyou
07-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Some say Hal Chase originated the head first slide, after he was banned he played in an outlaw league in AZ, the team had little cash so they got driven to away games by fans. One day the car Hal was in got in a wreck, he went through the windshield feet first and severed his Achilles tendon, they said it was the first time he ever slid feet first.

Reds Fanatic
07-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't get Dusty's comment that he has to see him first. How is him coming up and sitting on the bench going to prove to Dusty that he is ready to play tomorrow.

traderumor
07-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't get Dusty's comment that he has to see him first. How is him coming up and sitting on the bench going to prove to Dusty that he is ready to play tomorrow.I would imagine he was referring to seeing him in BP. I really don't think it matters what Dusty says, someone will pick a fight with it.

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't care how anybody feels about EE, he's an upgrade from Adam Rosales, Paul Janish, and Danny Richar. The team just got A LOT better. He'll be a much welcomed offensive boost.

And Hairston. I'm going to be so glad when Hairston is back where he belongs ... on the bench. He's proven he's not a starter.

Glad to see Edwin back. I wish he was playing tonight.

reds44
07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
And Hairston. I'm going to be so glad when Hairston is back where he belongs ... on the bench. He's proven he's not a starter.

Glad to see Edwin back. I wish he was playing tonight.
You know he's going to be the starting SS.

SirFelixCat
07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
You know he's going to be the starting SS.

Obviously, defensively, he's a liability, but do we really have any better options right now, this second?

Yes, Janish is world's better defensively, but offensively, it's clearly JHJ, and let's face it, we need all the offense that this team can muster.

reds44
07-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Obviously, defensively, he's a liability, but do we really have any better options right now, this second?

Yes, Janish is world's better defensively, but offensively, it's clearly JHJ, and let's face it, we need all the offense that this team can muster.
I don't mind him starting at SS, just bat him 8th or 9th.

camisadelgolf
07-03-2009, 05:03 PM
They aren't gonna do that with Alonso he'll be back before the end of the season. Bray as well as he would then accumulate MLB service time. Now the other 2 I don't know why they would even wait until they needed to add someone.
MLB requires that someone be added to the 40-man roster before putting someone on the 60-day DL.

Mario-Rijo
07-03-2009, 05:09 PM
MLB requires that someone be added to the 40-man roster before putting someone on the 60-day DL.

I figured it was something like that but wasn't sure, thanks Cam.

Will M
07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I am not a big EE fan. I believe he is a 1B/LF/DH type and his bat isn't good enough to be a plus at those positions. That being said his return is a welcome site for me.

If we get a SS (:pray:) and get Volquez back then the 2nd half of 2009 should be fun.

klw
07-03-2009, 05:28 PM
EE was on the 60 day DL so does someone have to get moved to the 60 day to make room on the 40?

SirFelixCat
07-03-2009, 05:53 PM
EE was on the 60 day DL so does someone have to get moved to the 60 day to make room on the 40?

I assume Richar does w/ his torn labrum.

camisadelgolf
07-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes. That, or someone must be DFAed.

klw
07-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Found the answer
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aab5f82fa-0c7f-4a6c-9191-d06d2fd87a7a&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

To make room on the 40-man roster for Encarnacion, who was reinstated from the 60-day DL, IF Wilkin Castillo was transferred to the 60-day DL.

Razor Shines
07-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Clearly? I don't know. In his last 25 games Jerry is OPSing .502. For the season Janish gets on base slightly more often than JHJ. .312 to .302. Hairston's robust .687 OPS was given a bump by his unexplainable early season power burst and even with that he's below his career OPS which is crappy.

I'd say that Janish is the best option.

Caveat Emperor
07-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Over under on first air-mailed throw to Votto? I'd say 15 innings.

SMcGavin
07-03-2009, 06:50 PM
EE coming back is somewhat of a double-edged sword, he addresses a big weakness of this team (offense) while downgrading a big strength (team defense). But as others have said, he's definitely better than the other dudes who manned third in his absence, so it's good to see him back.

reds44
07-03-2009, 06:54 PM
EE coming back is somewhat of a double-edged sword, he addresses a big weakness of this team (offense) while downgrading a big strength (team defense). But as others have said, he's definitely better than the other dudes who manned third in his absence, so it's good to see him back.
I don't think he's any worse than Hairston at 3rd defensively, to be honest.

11larkin11
07-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Hairston's Fielding Percentage this year at third is .911. EE's the last two years were .953 and .930. Before he was hurt this year, it was .942. And EE makes some Web Gem plays over there.

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Jerry Hairston Jr. makes EdE look like a Gold Glover at third base.

reds44
07-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Dusty's explanation of Edwin not playing:
EE played a double header yesterday, original plan was for EE to play in AAA today and tomorrow, come up here Sunday, travel with the team, and be activated Monday. Richar's injury caused him to be activated early, so he'll sit today and be in the lineup tomorrow.

I can live with that.