PDA

View Full Version : Lastings Milledge traded to Pirates

Brutus
06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Just saw on CBS Sportsline that Milledge & Joel Hanrahan were traded to Pittsburgh for Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett.

Kind of an interesting deal.

traderumor
06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
So much for Nyjer Morgan being a part of the grand plan for the "Pirates."

Brutus
06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
BTW, I just realized this was in the "trades to consider" thread. I had not seen that before posting this. In any event, obviously people have been talking a lot about Milledge so I guess this is noteworthy.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I like this trade from the Pirates perspective. Morgan is a great defender but his bat is below average. Milledge has been a bust to this point but he has the talent to be a very good major leaguer. For Morgan, Milledge is worth taking a chance on.

RedsManRick
06-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Pirates also flipped Hinske for prospects. They are very clearly in asset acquisition mode. Morgan is a Pierre/Taveras type and Burnett is a low ceiling reliever at this point. Great trade for the Pirates.

TRF
06-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I like this trade from the Pirates perspective. Morgan is a great defender but his bat is below average. Milledge has been a bust to this point but he has the talent to be a very good major leaguer. For Morgan, Milledge is worth taking a chance on.

Pirates also flipped Hinske for prospects. They are very clearly in asset acquisition mode. Morgan is a Pierre/Taveras type and Burnett is a low ceiling reliever at this point. Great trade for the Pirates.

wow, couldn't disagree more. Milledge is Taveras-lite. can't hit, can't field. Hanrahan is a disaster on the mound and lost his closer duties. Burnett has upside in that he can get a game to the 9th (not that the Pirates or Nats usually have a shot in the 8th) and Morgan can at least find 1B. Good deal for the Nats as their OF is better by subtraction of a bad player and a clubhouse distraction (from all accounts).

Benihana
06-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Agreed.

wow, couldn't disagree more. Milledge is Taveras-lite. can't hit, can't field. Hanrahan is a disaster on the mound and lost his closer duties. Burnett has upside in that he can get a game to the 9th (not that the Pirates or Nats usually have a shot in the 8th) and Morgan can at least find 1B. Good deal for the Nats as their OF is better by subtraction of a bad player and a clubhouse distraction (from all accounts).

Disagree: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1907327#post1907327

I feel like these two threads should be merged...

Tom Servo
06-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I still think Milledge has good upside. He's not going to be the superstar that he was originally projected as but his one full year in the majors in 2008 was solid and better than anything Morgan could ultimately produce.

TRF
06-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I still think Milledge has good upside. He's not going to be the superstar that he was originally projected as but his one full year in the majors in 2008 was solid and better than anything Morgan could ultimately produce.

Then again they also get Hanrahan who couldn't pitch effectively in a pitchers park. And now he goes to PNC?

blech, but yay for the Reds.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Then again they also get Hanrahan who couldn't pitch effectively in a pitchers park. And now he goes to PNC?

blech, but yay for the Reds.

FWIW (not that it's worth much) Joel Sherman disagrees with you.

http://twitter.com/nyp_joelsherman/status/2408606594

traderumor
06-30-2009, 04:30 PM

blech, but yay for the Reds.I think PNC play's as a slight pitcher's park.

CTA513
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Hanrahan needs to improve his off speed stuff if he wants to pitch better.

lollipopcurve
06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Can't say the Pirates' approach is ridiculous -- they need talent. But I think they're investing in players who carry a bit of baggage -- Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, Milledge.

There seems to be a little bit of Jim Bowden in Neal Huntington, though he would never admit that.

TheNext44
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I've never been a Milledge fan. Bad attitude and really not that great of a talent. Yeah, maybe he will grow up and put everything together, but odds are he won't. And he has over 1000 MLB PA's, and this line:

.261 .326 .400 .726

Morgan is nothing special, but he has a .351 OBP in around a season's worth of PA's, and would make a nice platoon in CF. Career vs. RHP:

.314 .371 .402 .774

Burnett is solid lefty reliever, always a valuable commodity even if he is low ceiling (although not sure that there is such a thing as a low ceiling lefty reliever these days ;)).

Hanrahan is the key. He has great stuff, but can't seem to put it together. If he does, the Pirates win this hands down, no matter what the others do. If he doesn't, I like the Nat's side on this trade, but not by much.

Ravenlord
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
i can't figure out this deal from the Pirates perspective.:confused:

Morgan gets on, and makes contact, two things Milledge doesn't. Milldedge is a better defende, but won't be playing center because of McCutcheon.

lollipopcurve
06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I like the Nats' chances in this trade.

Strikes Out Looking
06-30-2009, 05:40 PM
So now the Nats have Dunn in LF/1b, Morgan in CF, Willingham in RF/LF and an expensive Austin Kearns and Willie Harris on the bench as well as Nick Johnson either at 1b or the bench.

I think they'll move Willingham and won't be surprised if Walt's looking at him.

Mario-Rijo
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
So now the Nats have Dunn in LF/1b, Morgan in CF, Willingham in RF/LF and an expensive Austin Kearns and Willie Harris on the bench as well as Nick Johnson either at 1b or the bench.

I think they'll move Willingham and won't be surprised if Walt's looking at him.

I think they will get more out of Nick Johnson and they will save more money that way. So I'd expect too see Dunn at 1st and Willingham LF, Morgan CF, Dukes RF.

Personally though on the trade I like the Pirates end of it, as always things are a bit overblown on Milledge I believe.

Benihana
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM

I think I'd take Dukes over Willingham. More upside.

jojo
06-30-2009, 06:21 PM
I like the Nats' chances in this trade.

I do too.

Rojo
06-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Milledge is five years younger than Morgan, has more power, better defender, faster and has better splits. I like it for the Pirates.

_Sir_Charles_
06-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I haven't noticed if this was mentioned yet, but the Pirates also dealt off Eric Hinske to the Yanks....

Hinske, the 2002 AL Rookie of the Year, went to the Yankees for minor league right-hander Casey Erickson and outfielder Eric Fryer. The Yankees also get about $400,000 to help pay the remainder of Hinske's $1.5 million salary.

CTA513
06-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Milledge is five years younger than Morgan, has more power, better defender, faster and has better splits. I like it for the Pirates.

Ive seen Milledge play defense and wasn't really impressed with him.

fearofpopvol1
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4299138

Jack Wilson is NOT happy with the Pirates right about now. Time for the Reds to grab him. He would be a very good acquisition for the Reds.

Team Clark
07-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I've never been a Milledge fan. Bad attitude and really not that great of a talent. Yeah, maybe he will grow up and put everything together, but odds are he won't. And he has over 1000 MLB PA's, and this line:

.261 .326 .400 .726

Morgan is nothing special, but he has a .351 OBP in around a season's worth of PA's, and would make a nice platoon in CF. Career vs. RHP:

.314 .371 .402 .774

Burnett is solid lefty reliever, always a valuable commodity even if he is low ceiling (although not sure that there is such a thing as a low ceiling lefty reliever these days ;)).

Hanrahan is the key. He has great stuff, but can't seem to put it together. If he does, the Pirates win this hands down, no matter what the others do. If he doesn't, I like the Nat's side on this trade, but not by much.

I like the fact that Hanrahan will get to work with Joe Kerrigan. :thumbup:

lollipopcurve
07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
The Pirates whiffed on Craig Hansen, now let's see if they can turn around Hanrahan.

pahster
07-02-2009, 09:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4299138

Jack Wilson is NOT happy with the Pirates right about now. Time for the Reds to grab him. He would be a very good acquisition for the Reds.

I imagine the rest of the division would be quite happy were the Reds to acquire Wilson.

savafan
07-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Hanrahan, now a Pirate, got the win for the Nationals in the completion of a suspended game tonight. Nyjer Morgan, who was traded for Hanrahan, scored the winning run. Doubt that has ever happened.

westofyou
12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Another wasted asset in Pirate land

"We spent a lot of time analyzing Lastings Milledge as compared with the potential alternatives for the expected role and determined it was worth further exploration of the alternatives," Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said. "We remain open to continuing dialogue with Lastings."

The Pirates' internal options for right field include Garrett Jones, Ryan Doumit and John Bowker, all of whom played some first base in 2010, as well.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10337/1107986-63.stm

camisadelgolf
12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
How much would it have cost to keep him? $1M? They paid Iwamura $4.85MM this year. I almost feel bad for Pirates fans.

traderumor
12-03-2010, 10:20 AM
How much would it have cost to keep him? $1M? They paid Iwamura $4.85MM this year. I almost feel bad for Pirates fans.

Until you realize they are probably Steelers fans ;)

camisadelgolf
12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Until you realize they are probably Steelers fans ;)
That was my exact train of thought, actually.

Benihana
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow, two guys who I once pined for were both non-tendered overnight- Milledge and Andrew Miller. Wouldn't mind seeing the Reds give a non-guaranteed, minor league deal to either/both.

Joseph
12-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Both will latch on with a team that provides more opportunity for them I'd wager. Arizona, KC, just as examples.