PDA

View Full Version : Baker is now beyond: –adjective 1. foolish, unintelligent, or silly; stupid

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
There's a word that's more appropriate, but I don't want to risk getting a bad remark from those in charge here.

A right-handed pitcher, a great right-handed pitcher tonight, and Baker leads off with the right-handed hitting Taveras instead of the left-handed hitting Dickerson.

I truly hope now that a curse falls upon the Baker family as his lack of concern about the Cincinnati Reds Baseball Club has made him and his family enemies of mine.

Plus Plus
06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
The thing that I dont get is that there is no superb track record for Baker to expect Willy T to revert to. If Votto was slumping, I can understand not benching him to play Rosales or something of the like.

The continual fascination by Baker with Willy T is absolutely disgusting, and insulting to the team's fans. Knowing that I will probably see Willy Taveras in the lineup keeps me from going to games at GABP.

GIDP
06-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Because stats dont matter to Dusty unless they support his claim. Such as Willy Taveras played in Kansas City once before so thats why he started him over Dickerson.

The guy doesnt care. Its all magical Dusty thoughts.

schmidty622
06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
These threads are almost as tiresome as the ones bashing Owings.

We get it, Baker is not liked. Does there need to be a new thread everyday?

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Yes.

Until the guy is fired.

Is there something more important to talk about regarding the REDS right now? If there is, feel free to start a thread about it.

schmidty622
06-30-2009, 08:39 PM
You can't top one of the 100 other threads about Dusty being terrible?

texasdave
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Besides, you read the title of the thread. You must have had a pretty good idea what this thread was about. If these threads are so tiresome, simply don't read them. Problem solved.

jmac
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM

I totally agree. I mean ..yeah I would love to see Dickerson in there but here are the facts folks : We seen this last year with CPatt and we "knew" it would be this way with WT so there is no need to be surprised.

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Clearly, it's not "gotten".

Where are the newspaper articles from the Enquirer screaming for his head?

Where are the radio personnel screaming for Baker's accountability?

You can ignore the obvious and talk about the weather I suppose. Does that address the issues of the ballclub? I don't think so.

Only when it has gotten to a bleak point, a turning point, near a point of no return, have I chosen to start a thread about Baker ruining this season so that some action will be taken.

Take up your arms!

Revolt against the tolerance of letting this continue!

Revolt against those who wish to ignore it and talk about the weather!

Take action. Write the Enquirer and demand accountability.

The threads I normally start, the ones that are full of positive stories about the REDS, their players, and even about Baker have been great for the first half of the season, but all that is all for nothing as I watch Baker destroy any hope of this franchise reaching the post-season.

It might be all right for you to ignore poor management, but I gave Baker every inch of rope I could give him during the first year and a half of his tenure, and he's hung himself with it.

Baker's got to go.

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 08:46 PM
You can't top one of the 100 other threads about Dusty being terrible?

First off. There aren't 100 of them. You should not exagerate. I doubt if you could find a dozen of them.

Secondly, I supported Dusty in the threads that were during the first two months of the season.

Plus Plus
06-30-2009, 08:48 PM
So are we supposed to ignore the fact that Baker makes incredibly poor baseball decisions on a daily basis? Because if that is the case, I guess I should choose another baseball team to follow this closely.

Being a passionate fan makes me care about my team and its well-being. I want the people that get paid Uncle Scrooge sacks of cash to make decisions that are the best possible. However, we have to settle for someone who spits in the face of logic, stats, and qualitative baseball analysis.

This topic won't be ignored until it isn't there any more. Whether that involves Baker having a revelation regarding baseball knowledge, Willy T taking mountains of HGH and steroids to become Barry Bonds, or both of them being run out of town, I don't care.

schmidty622
06-30-2009, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsmybQKpmTw&feature=related

Sorry about the dog in this video, it's the only one that I could find that didn't cuss. But I think it sums up the mood of the thread pretty well.

JayBruce
06-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Clearly, it's not "gotten".

Where are the newspaper articles from the Enquirer screaming for his head?

Where are the radio personnel screaming for Baker's accountability?

You can ignore the obvious and talk about the weather I suppose. Does that address the issues of the ballclub? I don't think so.

Only when it has gotten to a bleak point, a turning point, near a point of no return, have I chosen to start a thread about Baker ruining this season so that some action will be taken.

Take up your arms!

Revolt against the tolerance of letting this continue!

Revolt against those who wish to ignore it and talk about the weather!

Take action. Write the Enquirer and demand accountability.

The threads I normally start, the ones that are full of positive stories about the REDS, their players, and even about Baker have been great for the first half of the season, but all that is all for nothing as I watch Baker destroy any hope of this franchise reaching the post-season.

It might be all right for you to ignore poor management, but I gave Baker every inch of rope I could give him during the first year and a half of his tenure, and he's hung himself with it.

Baker's got to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRGUqd_M6Mg

schmidty622
06-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Jaybruce - you win this thread. HAHAHAHA.

Captain Hook
06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I totally agree. I mean ..yeah I would love to see Dickerson in there but here are the facts folks : We seen this last year with CPatt and we "knew" it would be this way with WT so there is no need to be surprised.

Last year CPatt actually was sent down at one point and only came back because of injuries.He continued to play due to trades until the end of the season and I was fine with that.This year Taveras is even worse then CPatt.We have a capable guy sitting on the bench tonight while the worse hitter on the team continues to get more ABs then anyone else.

One of the best hitters Hannigan continues to sit on the bench every night so a vet hitting .246 and playing below average defense(at least not as good as Hannigan)can play every night.Also, imo the pitchers seem to throw much better when Hanigan is catching.That just a hunch that I have so forgive me if I'm wrong I'm just a fan not the coach.

Now if the coach consistently did things base on hunches and other random idea's we might have a problem.;)

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsmybQKpmTw&feature=related

Sorry about the dog in this video, it's the only one that I could find that didn't cuss. But I think it sums up the mood of the thread pretty well.

I've been Blutarksy from this video all season in other threads.

But, in this thread I'm Blutarsky breaking the acoustic guitar against the stairwell.

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Jaybruce - you win this thread. HAHAHAHA.

I don't have any volume. I'll have to watch it somewhere else.

Kingspoint
06-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Arizona had their worst hitters on the bench today.

The REDS had their best.

FlyerFanatic
06-30-2009, 10:14 PM

these types of comments are that of fans who have given into the losing way of the reds imo. taveras is hurting this team, baker continues to insert him in the lineup. i think we all understand that just getting rid of taveras wont do that much, but the fact that dusty still plays a guy that is beyond terrible at this point is going to irk fans. this is the second time i've posted something similar, i dont understand the mindset of, "well we know he sucks...just forget about it" if you're a real fan, you dont just let it slide.

schmidty622
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
these types of comments are that of fans who have given into the losing way of the reds imo. taveras is hurting this team, baker continues to insert him in the lineup. i think we all understand that just getting rid of taveras wont do that much, but the fact that dusty still plays a guy that is beyond terrible at this point is going to irk fans. this is the second time i've posted something similar, i dont understand the mindset of, "well we know he sucks...just forget about it" if you're a real fan, you dont just let it slide.

Haha. I'm sure your displeasure keeps Dusty up at night.

Sports get a lot more enjoyable when you realize that what happens to your team is outside of your control.

FlyerFanatic
06-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Sports get a lot more enjoyable when you realize that what happens to your team is outside of your control.

did i say they were in my control? when the media puts pressure on teams, stuff tends to get done. when the media doesnt, well...you get stuck with taveras/patterson hitting or lack there of leading off for your under average reds team. i guess if you like losing teams..keep smiling, george grande appreciates the company.

CySeymour
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Arizona had their worst hitters on the bench today.

The REDS had their best.

I thought Votto was in the lineup? :confused: :rolleyes:

Plus Plus
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM

And sports get even more enjoyable when you change your favorite team every year so that you never have to be displeased, since the team you chose coincidentally is the WS favorite.

The fact of the matter is that being a true, diehard fan means thinking about and addressing both strengths and weaknesses. Baker's lineups are a sure-fire weakness for the team.

Plus Plus
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I thought Votto was in the lineup? :confused: :rolleyes:

So were Taveras and Hernandez, while Dickerson and Hannigan sat on the bench.

JayBruce
06-30-2009, 11:11 PM

No man, we ARE the agents of change.

It starts with us. We must rise up with fists and emphatically state "NO MORE". This is OUR time! This is OUR team! This is OUR summer! And by god, no toothpick-chomping, wristband-wearing, know-nothing clown is gonna take that away from us! We must take this to the streets and reclaim our birthright as red-blooded American citizens! VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!!

Who's comin' with me???

CySeymour
06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
I still put the bad offense on Jocketty. Baker is the type of manager that if you give him players to miss use, he will. And who gave him Taveras? Jocketty.

Jack Burton
06-30-2009, 11:29 PM
What is it gonna take for dusty to get the axe? I mean, what else can he do, he manages like he wants to get fired. Let's grant him his wish. The rest of the coaching staff can follow him out the door.

CesarGeronimo
06-30-2009, 11:34 PM

Yes, most of us know that benching Taveras won't win that many games. But what gets me is the incompetence of it. This has been an incompetently run franchise for more than a decade now, and there are still too many examples of incompetent management to be comfortable about whether Castellini & Co. will take advantage of the opportunity they have ahead with several outstanding young players.

Signing Willy Taveras as the starting centerfielder was an incompetent move. Batting Taveras and Hairston 1-2 is ridiculous, even given the Reds' injuries... Keeping McDonald over Gomes...Starting Taveras over Dickerson, even against righties...Not playing Hanigan more and batting him at the bottom of the order when he does play.

We've all heard the excuses and rationales for these decisions -- the Reds aren't that good anyway; they're injured; batting orders don't matter; Dusty won't keep playing these guys if they keep doing this badly; Dusty won in San Francisco and Chicago so he knows what he's doing. But none of that changes the fact that the guy in charge of the day-to-day management of this team consistently makes indefensible decisions. What's worse is that it appears he has a strong hand in some bad personnel decisions, as well -- Bako, Patterson, Taveras, McDonald all have the Dust stink on them. Maybe Bruce, Votto and Alonso can become the new Bonds, Williams and Kent, so it won't matter if Dusty is batting Gail Devers and Marion Jones ahead of them, but it will still annoy the living Castro out of me.

BluegrassRedleg
07-01-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't think there's ever a reason to bat Taveras (against anyone) but in Dusty's defense on this particular argument, I don't think R vs. R is ever much of a big deal. You don't see moves made for that matchup like you do L vs. L.

Captain Hook
07-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Thought this was funny.

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/2008/04/25/jacque-jones-lou-piniella-worse-than-dusty-baker-better-than-hitler/

BLEEDS
07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Besides, you read the title of the thread. You must have had a pretty good idea what this thread was about. If these threads are so tiresome, simply don't read them. Problem solved.

Ding Ding Ding!!

I was just going to say, the only thing more tiresome than some of these subjects/threads are the posts where people are telling you how tiresome the subjects/threads are...

I mean, how TIRESOME must YOU be to have to reply to a tiresome post with an even more tiresome comeback?!?! LOL

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CesarGeronimo
07-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't think there's ever a reason to bat Taveras (against anyone) but in Dusty's defense on this particular argument, I don't think R vs. R is ever much of a big deal. You don't see moves made for that matchup like you do L vs. L.

There's no defense for playing the righthanded Taveras against righthanded pitchers instead of the lefthanded Dickerson. No defense at all.

Plus Plus
07-01-2009, 12:46 AM
I would rather see Gapper in the lineup on a daily basis than Willy Taveras.

Captain Hook
07-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Here is an exact quote from Baker.He was commenting on why Dickerson,Gomes and Hannigan wasn't in the lineup tonight.

"You can't play everybody," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "I have a plan on how to keep them sharp and productive for themselves and us at the same time. We knew that could potentially happen when we started. You don't have a good team unless you have too many good bodies."

Anyone know what the heck he is talking about?Oh well, here's the link.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090630&content_id=5619362&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin

nemesis
07-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Thought this was funny.

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/2008/04/25/jacque-jones-lou-piniella-worse-than-dusty-baker-better-than-hitler/

The Adam Dunn one brought me to tears... LOL

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/2008/04/23/adam-dunn-singles-are-for-******bags/

BluegrassRedleg
07-01-2009, 01:10 AM
There's no defense for playing the righthanded Taveras against righthanded pitchers instead of the lefthanded Dickerson. No defense at all.

You missed the point. It's not because Taveras is RH. It's because he stinks. RH has nothing to do with it.

Captain Hook
07-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Sorry in advance but I couldn't help myself.

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/2008/04/23/dusty-baker-admits-to-managing-under-the-influence/

I promise.No more Baker joke's.

nemesis
07-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Sorry in advance but I couldn't help myself.

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/2008/04/23/dusty-baker-admits-to-managing-under-the-influence/

I promise.No more Baker joke's.

Sad thing is this is more or a conviction than a joke. This is Baker's style. Until he is gone this will always be what we get....

texasdave
07-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Here is an exact quote from Baker.He was commenting on why Dickerson,Gomes and Hannigan wasn't in the lineup tonight.

"You can't play everybody," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "I have a plan on how to keep them sharp and productive for themselves and us at the same time. We knew that could potentially happen when we started. You don't have a good team unless you have too many good bodies."

Anyone know what the heck he is talking about?Oh well, here's the link.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090630&content_id=5619362&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin

Dusty's plan resulted in the first 11 Reds being retired and no Reds' hits until there were two down in the fifth. Time for a new plan, Dusty.

schmidty622
07-01-2009, 07:06 AM
And sports get even more enjoyable when you change your favorite team every year so that you never have to be displeased, since the team you chose coincidentally is the WS favorite.

The fact of the matter is that being a true, diehard fan means thinking about and addressing both strengths and weaknesses. Baker's lineups are a sure-fire weakness for the team.

How does a fan address an issue? I guess if we're playing MLB 2k9 you can get whatever manager you want to lead your team, but in the real world there is nothing we can do except talk about it.

The point of my posts about the thread were to simply question why we had to talk about it in a new thread each week. Just keep one Dusty Baker thread where everyone can go and rant about the lineups, toothpicks, and wristbands and be done with it.

CesarGeronimo
07-01-2009, 07:40 AM
You missed the point. It's not because Taveras is RH. It's because he stinks. RH has nothing to do with it.

I didn't miss the point. I agree with you that Taveras should never bat because he's awful. But it's still particularly bad that Dusty sits Dickerson - and plays Taveras - against a righty. Dickerson is much better against right-handed pitching, a .398 OBP and .905 OPS (vs. .726 against lefties). So while it's a mistake to play Taveras in front of Dickerson against lefthanded pitching, it is a travesty to play Taveras in front of Dickerson against righthanded pitching. Some on here have suggested that Dusty has seen the light recently and will start Dickerson in center at least against righties, but that wasn't the case last night.

CesarGeronimo
07-01-2009, 08:01 AM
They are talking in the Old Red Guard about the thoughts of Bill James and others regarding players tending to go downhill in a hurry at age 33 and beyond. Dusty, as is well known, has other thoughts here: "I remember my old general manager Al Campanis telling me that a player doesn't reach his peak until he's somewhere between 32 or 36and beyond, and it depends on how his legs are and his desire and if he keeps his weight down and his waistline down." So to Dusty, Taveras, at 27, is just a young kid who's going to get better, nevermind his 2,200 career at bats that demonstrate he's bad at getting on base and has no pop whatsoever.

winks
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Dusty couldn't win last year because it wasn't his team. They werent fundamentally sound on defense. They couldnt get runners in without the HR. Whats his excuse now. He brought in Willy "O-fer" Tavares to bunt and steal bases and he cant get out of his own way. And also it is hardly mentioned how much better Dickerson is in the field. He said in Sprin training they would be better defensively from all the work that he had them do and they still look lost on easy plays sometimes.

Fon Duc Tow
07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
How does a fan address an issue? I guess if we're playing MLB 2k9 you can get whatever manager you want to lead your team, but in the real world there is nothing we can do except talk about it.

The point of my posts about the thread were to simply question why we had to talk about it in a new thread each week. Just keep one Dusty Baker thread where everyone can go and rant about the lineups, toothpicks, and wristbands and be done with it.

Or better yet, let there be 25 threads. One for each active player. And a Dusty thread, that's 26. Oh, and EE. 27. Oops, forgot about Walt. Make that 28 threads. Oops, forgot about...

:thumbdown

Or maybe....maybe.... we can just click on the threads we want to read, and not click on the threads we don't want to read.

So to review:

Click on thread you don't want to read = BAD
Click on thread you want to read = GOOD

Then there is no need for your thread policing! And that's a huge :thumbup:

defender
07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
First, I think it is unfair to use stats generated when a manager uses a player one way, to say he should be used another way. Maybe Dickerson is doing so well, because of when and where Baker plays him.

When Dickerson was given the LF job out of spring training, he did not do well, and everyone wanted him benched. Bring him along carefully, don't over expose him, and sometimes rest him against tough pitchers.

Secondly, when Taveras does get on base, he has done very well scoring runs and making things happen. When he hits the Reds win. The Reds benefit if Taveras can back on track.

GIDP
07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
First, I think it is unfair to use stats generated when a manager uses a player one way, to say he should be used another way. Maybe Dickerson is doing so well, because of when and where Baker plays him.

When Dickerson was given the LF job out of spring training, he did not do well, and everyone wanted him benched. Bring him along carefully, don't over expose him, and sometimes rest him against tough pitchers.

Secondly, when Taveras does get on base, he has done very well scoring runs and making things happen. When he hits the Reds win. The Reds benefit if Taveras can back on track.

So to go with your thought is Dusty playing Taveras in ways to make him look terrible?

some times the simple answer is the right answer and these complex scenarios are simply just wrong.

schmidty622
07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Or better yet, let there be 25 threads. One for each active player. And a Dusty thread, that's 26. Oh, and EE. 27. Oops, forgot about Walt. Make that 28 threads. Oops, forgot about...

:thumbdown

Or maybe....maybe.... we can just click on the threads we want to read, and not click on the threads we don't want to read.

So to review:

Click on thread you don't want to read = BAD
Click on thread you want to read = GOOD

Then there is no need for your thread policing! And that's a huge :thumbup:

Or I could read whatever thread I feel like, and comment as I see fit! :thumbup:

Plus Plus
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM

The way that Taveras has been used is "daily," and he is producing as one of the worst major leaguers (if not the single worst) on any roster right now. Your comment about how he makes things happen when he gets on base is negated by the fact that Taveras is absolutely inept at getting on base in the first place.

And the Dickerson LF argument is irrelevant. Yes he got off to a slow start, but that is no excuse to brand him with the scarlet "5" for 5th outfielder. The argument is that he could play CF as well as WT defensively (in fact, probably mounds better) and could produce many many more runs because he can find his way onto the bases. THAT is the issue that many fans have.

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
The way that Taveras has been used is "daily," and he is producing as one of the worst major leaguers (if not the single worst) on any roster right now. Your comment about how he makes things happen when he gets on base is negated by the fact that Taveras is absolutely inept at getting on base in the first place.

And the Dickerson LF argument is irrelevant. Yes he got off to a slow start, but that is no excuse to brand him with the scarlet "5" for 5th outfielder. The argument is that he could play CF as well as WT defensively (in fact, probably mounds better) and could produce many many more runs because he can find his way onto the bases. THAT is the issue that many fans have.

Bingo!

demas863
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM

Yes, until he's gone.

schmidty622
07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
There hasn't been a new Dusty sucks thread in over 24 hours. Come on guys. Gotta live up to the promise.

Plus Plus
07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
No, that was a comment made by you, not a promise made by anybody. If you are frustrated with threads like this then feel free to click 1" above or below the link to this thread.

Redlegs Homer
07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Rosales getting sent down is a major :thumbdown for me

tobttr
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I belong to another forum that seems to contain a goodly number of Cub fans. I remember when the hiring of Dusty Baker as Reds mgr was announced, a lot of the Cubbies rooters were quick to jump on him as being hard on pitchers' arms and very much in love with his veteran players.
Having read the posts here, it's interesting that the same things seem to be surfacing. Now, my jury is still out on Mr. Baker. I do know that the team is doing tons better this year than last, but I'm not sure how much of that is a function of the talent level and how much is managerial. And for all I know, maybe EVERY manager gets grilled for his use of pitchers & such.
Let's see where this team is on Aug 10 or so. Then maybe we'll know more than we do now.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Rosales getting sent down is a major :thumbdown for me

Don't get me wrong I love Rosales but he isn't ready for Major League Pitching yet, he still needs some time in AAA.

Captain Hook
07-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I belong to another forum that seems to contain a goodly number of Cub fans. I remember when the hiring of Dusty Baker as Reds mgr was announced, a lot of the Cubbies rooters were quick to jump on him as being hard on pitchers' arms and very much in love with his veteran players.
Having read the posts here, it's interesting that the same things seem to be surfacing. Now, my jury is still out on Mr. Baker. I do know that the team is doing tons better this year than last, but I'm not sure how much of that is a function of the talent level and how much is managerial. And for all I know, maybe EVERY manager gets grilled for his use of pitchers & such.
Let's see where this team is on Aug 10 or so. Then maybe we'll know more than we do now.

I actually don't have a big problem with how Dusty has handled the pitchers and don't recall much complaining about him in that regard.I can't stand Baker but he has at least done a decent job handling the pitching staff this season.I hate to do it but I'll have to give him some credit on this one.

Kingspoint
07-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I actually don't have a big problem with how Dusty has handled the pitchers and don't recall much complaining about him in that regard.I can't stand Baker but he has at least done a decent job handling the pitching staff this season.I hate to do it but I'll have to give him some credit on this one.

I have to agree with that.

PMand JM
07-02-2009, 07:26 PM
.500 without our regular shortstop or thirdbaseman, not to mention losing Votto for a couple months- I can't really get upset with Dusty!