PDA

View Full Version : Former lightweight champ Alexis Arguello dead...

Spitball
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
He was a great champion several years ago. I understand he was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.

The 57-year-old Arguello retired in 1995 with a record of 82-8 with 65 knockouts and was a champion in three weight divisions. He was perhaps best known for two thrilling battles with Aaron Pryor and fights with Ray Mancini, Bobby Chacon and Ruben Olivares.

Aaron Pryor, I believe he was from Cincy, fought a couple of very memorable fights with the guy. The first fight (about 1981), won by Pryor, was considered suspicious because of Pryor's trainer reportedly gave him an illegal "upper" of some sort sometime in the later rounds. In the rematch, I believe Prior knocked him out in the later rounds.

Spitball
07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I meant to post this on the "non-sports" forum, but I guess this will do.

Chip R
07-01-2009, 02:57 PM
I meant to post this on the "non-sports" forum, but I guess this will do.

Boxing isn't a sport? :confused:

redhawkfish
07-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I would call it a circus now!

Spitball
07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Boxing isn't a sport? :confused:

Well, yes, boxing is a sport, but this one would be filed under "Famous Dead People". Maybe we need a seperate forum. :)

Spitball
07-01-2009, 07:03 PM
...and, technically, he was a former boxer. Most recently he had been a political figure and had been the mayor of Managua, Nicaragua, at the time of his death.

SunDeck
07-02-2009, 07:28 AM
He was a great champion several years ago. I understand he was found with a gunshot wound to the chest.

Aaron Pryor, I believe he was from Cincy, fought a couple of very memorable fights with the guy. The first fight (about 1981), won by Pryor, was considered suspicious because of Pryor's trainer reportedly gave him an illegal "upper" of some sort sometime in the later rounds. In the rematch, I believe Prior knocked him out in the later rounds.

The first one was not just memorable, it is one of the greatest Welterweight fights of all time. I think there are clips of it out there- it's amazing how intense it was from the opening bell to the knockdown in the 14th that ended it. It's a shame it was tainted by the thing with the supposed uppers in Pryor's water bottle.

westofyou
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
The first one was not just memorable, it is one of the greatest Welterweight fights of all time. I think there are clips of it out there- it's amazing how intense it was from the opening bell to the knockdown in the 14th that ended it. It's a shame it was tainted by the thing with the supposed uppers in Pryor's water bottle.

Great fight era

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3VL2RX5fP4

SunDeck
07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I still can't believe it. They fought like that for almost 14 rounds.

Chip R
07-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I heard a report today that it may have been a suicide.