PDA

View Full Version : Sutton on the way.

texasdave
07-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Shamelessly stolen from EDABBS in ORG:

The Cincinnati Reds have made plans to call up infielder Drew Sutton, perhaps as early as today, a major league source told FOXSports.com.

Sutton has batted .255 with five home runs and 19 RBIs in 43 games at Class AAA this year. He was traded from Houston to Cincinnati earlier this year.
Sutton, who turned 26 earlier this week, has started games at every infield position this year. The Reds' starting shortstop and third baseman are currently on the disabled list, and they have been looking for a hitter on the trade market in recent days.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9753320/Source:-Injury-plagued-Reds-to-call-up-Sutton

Good bye, Danny Richar, we hardly knew ye.

mac624
07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
that he can play. He's pretty much a jack of all trades, master of none kind of guy, but he can play all infield and outfield positions, so he's the kind of guy you like hanging around on the bench. I don't know how much he'll hit in the bigs, but again, he's more there for versitility than anything else I'm sure.

bubbachunk
07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
This should be about Edwin getting called up not Drew.

GOYA
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
that he can play. He's pretty much a jack of all trades, master of none kind of guy, but he can play all infield and outfield positions, so he's the kind of guy you like hanging around on the bench. I don't know how much he'll hit in the bigs, but again, he's more there for versitility than anything else I'm sure.

Sounds like Richar

And Castillo

And Rosales, except he was called up with every sign saying he was going to hit.

The fact that Edwin got rested on the day before an off day for the Bats might mean he's not in playing shape yet.

Plus Plus
07-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Per CTrent's Twitter:

from #reds: Burton to Louisville, Sutton promoted.

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
The absolutely correct move at this time. Good call, Walt.

Walt does most things the exact way that I want him to do them.

I don't understand him allowing Dusty Baker to keep playing Taveras. Well, I do, really. A G.M. gets into murky waters when he starts telling his Manager/Coach who to play. Once that starts, the relationship between the two is irrepairable. I'm sure Walt hates that Dusty keeps playing Willy T over Dickerson, but there's not a lot he can do about it other than DFA Willy T. I don't even think it's a conversation that Walt can have with Dusty before Dusty says, "You're going to tell me who to start and who not to now?". Walt doesn't want that conversation, nor does any G.M. that's worthy of his position.

EE for Richar when it's time, hopefully soon.

I love Sutton. He's got great patience at the plate that translates to the Major League level.

Mario-Rijo
07-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Ironically wearing #27 for the Reds, last Red to wear #27...Kepp!

texasdave
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
The absolutely correct move at this time. Good call, Walt.

Walt does most things the exact way that I want him to do them.

I don't understand him allowing Dusty Baker to keep playing Taveras. Well, I do, really. A G.M. gets into murky waters when he starts telling his Manager/Coach who to play. Once that starts, the relationship between the two is irrepairable. I'm sure Walt hates that Dusty keeps playing Willy T over Dickerson, but there's not a lot he can do about it other than DFA Willy T. I don't even think it's a conversation that Walt can have with Dusty before Dusty says, "You're going to tell me who to start and who not to now?". Walt doesn't want that conversation, nor does any G.M. that's worthy of his position.

EE for Richar when it's time, hopefully soon.

I love Sutton. He's got great patience at the plate that translates to the Major League level.

One problem is that I firmly believe it was Dusty who wanted Patterson in 2008. Now Walt wasn't GM at the time, but he was around and saw how that turned out. And I also believe Dusty wanted Taveras. And we see how that is working out. Walt can't and shouldn't tell Dusty who to play. But Walt is responsible in part simply by giving Dusty the useless players that Dusty asks for.

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
One problem is that I firmly believe it was Dusty who wanted Patterson in 2008. Now Walt wasn't GM at the time, but he was around and saw how that turned out. And I also believe Dusty wanted Taveras. And we see how that is working out. Walt can't and shouldn't tell Dusty who to play. But Walt is responsible in part simply by giving Dusty the useless players that Dusty asks for.

That is 100% true.

And, this season is still 100% Walt's responsibility, like it or not. Every move Dusty makes or doesn't make is a direct reflection of Walt, even if it's Walt's boss who wants Dusty around. LaRussa outlasted Walt.

Hopefully Dusty will get himself fired.

Since it appears Dusty won't change, I hope he sinks his own ship.

GOYA
07-01-2009, 08:28 PM
But Walt is responsible in part simply by giving Dusty the useless players that Dusty asks for.

Not if Castellini tells Walt to get the deal done. I think Walt has a responsibility to try to talk Castellini out of it but if Bob says jump...

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Not if Castellini tells Walt to get the deal done. I think Walt has a responsibility to try to talk Castellini out of it but if Bob says jump...

Sometimes I feel like Walt is sitting between two opposing forces with Baker and Castellini.

Kingspoint
07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I really like how Walt does things.

The Willie T was a low-risk, high-reward move.

I just don't think he thought Baker would go with him for so long while Jockety provided Baker with better options in Dickerson.

Walt's losing this battle and the REDS' ship is sinking fast.

Degenerate39
07-01-2009, 09:16 PM
The wrong Drew IMO.

dougdirt
07-02-2009, 02:41 AM
I really like how Walt does things.

The Willie T was a low-risk, high-reward move.

I just don't think he thought Baker would go with him for so long while Jockety provided Baker with better options in Dickerson.

Walt's losing this battle and the REDS' ship is sinking fast.

What kind of high reward can Taveras bring? His 'best season' was still below average for a MLB Center Fielder and he hasn't come close to matching that season ever again because well, thats nowhere near his true skillset.

Ron Madden
07-02-2009, 02:59 AM

I agree with TD here.

The failure of Taveras has been so predictable the blame should be spread in three directions, Walt, Dusty and the Scouting Department.

:(

Kingspoint
07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
What kind of high reward can Taveras bring? His 'best season' was still below average for a MLB Center Fielder and he hasn't come close to matching that season ever again because well, thats nowhere near his true skillset.

High Reward would have been the .350 OBP with 60+ steals. He achieved the .350 OBP his 1st 3 seasons, I believe, (I'm not looking this up before writing this so I might be off a little) before becoming that player that he is (and I thought he is at the time of the signing as I believe Colorado's assessment of him), a .300 OBP player. He's not even that right now.

I would have taken a .350 OBP with 60+ steals.

My opinion, as it has alwasy been on this forum since June 1st of last year, was that Chris Dickerson should have been promoted to be our CenterFielder until Drew Stubbs takes over for him when Stubbs is ready.

Kingspoint
07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
He achieved the .350 OBP his 1st 3 seasons, I believe, (I'm not looking this up before writing this so I might be off a little) before becoming that player that he is (and I thought he is at the time of the signing as I believe Colorado's assessment of him), a .300 OBP player. He's not even that right now.

Looking it up, and he had before last season OBP's of .367, .333, .325. That averages out to about .340, while averaging 45 steals the last 3 seasons.

Walt was wrong on this one, for sure.

What's worse about this move is that the answer was already on the Major League Roster, and had proven himself in the time that was given him.

kfm
07-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know how well Sutton can play shortstop? Is he better than Kepp was at short?

dougdirt
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know how well Sutton can play shortstop? Is he better than Kepp was at short?

Not really. He has a weak arm and his range isn't all that good either.