PDA

View Full Version : The Reds should make a play for Jack Wilson

fearofpopvol1
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4299138

He is NOT happy in Pittsburgh right now. He'd be a good option for Cincinnati right now.

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
No thanks. I'd rather have Gonzalez or Janish than trade prospects for a slight upgrade, if that.

BRM
07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
No thanks. I'd rather have Gonzalez or Janish than trade prospects for a slight upgrade, if that.

You don't want an out machine who's on the wrong side of 30?

Homer Bailey
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Um. No.

Chip R
07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4299138

He is NOT happy in Pittsburgh right now. He'd be a good option for Cincinnati right now.

Because we need another over 30 injury prone SS making more money than Gonzo?

fearofpopvol1
07-01-2009, 03:49 PM
I think because of his salary...he could be had for very little. Especially if he's disgruntled.

He's definitely an upgrade over the current situation.

Chip R
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Is he your cousin or something?

Mario-Rijo
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Orlando Cabrera who is dying in Oakland might be rejuvenated in GABP and is much cheaper at about 2 million for the rest of the season. Not great this year so far but probably better than Janish or Gonzo overall. Not saying I want him but he's probably a better get than Wilson. I'm still all for acquiring M. Izturis.

Cyclone792
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Jack Wilson is precisely the type of player that a team like the Reds absolutely needs to avoid at all costs.

We've already got one Willy Taveras on the team; adding another isn't any going to be good for anything.

westofyou
07-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Jack Wilson?

The Reds need to pursue Jack Wilson with the fervor that OJ devoted to finding the "killer'.

That would be my plan of attack on that subject.

HotCorner
07-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd rather pursue Cristian Guzman.

TRF
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd rather pursue Cristian Guzman.

I'd rather pursue the blond doctor lady on Gray's Anatomy.

but that's just me. :cool:

Upgrade 3B and CF with in house options and let Janish be Jack Wilson.

Mario-Rijo
07-01-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd rather pursue the blond doctor lady on Gray's Anatomy.

but that's just me. :cool:

Upgrade 3B and CF with in house options and let Janish be Jack Wilson.

I second the blond doctor lady! :D

Brutus
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't mind Jack Wilson, but I think people do have a valid point to not want him.

Willy Taveras career OBP: .325
Jack Wilson career OBP: .311

Caveat Emperor
07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
He's had 2 good offensive years ('04 and '07) in his 8+ big league seasons -- and even then, good was ~.790 OPS.

I'll pass.

WMR
07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Jack Wilson would be a horrible addition to this team. We've got enough out machines as it is.

GAC
07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Why do we always want to go next door and root through the neighbor's garbage trying to find something useful?

Chip R
07-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Why do we always want to go next door and root through the neighbor's garbage trying to find something useful?

Grass is always greener...

RichRed
07-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Grass is always greener...

Even in Pittsburgh, apparently.

Brutus
07-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Well, Pittsburgh was a decent enough destination to make trades with for the Braves & Yankees. Can't be all bad (at least if it's not Jack Wilson lol)

Chip R
07-01-2009, 06:47 PM

I think that if a certain speedy CF who plays for the Reds played for another team, even some of his current detractors would be in favor of trading for him.

TRF
07-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I think that if a certain speedy CF who plays for the Reds played for another team, even some of his current detractors would be in favor of trading for him.

No.

We.

Wouldn't.

Ltlabner
07-01-2009, 06:57 PM

:eek: Hopefully TRF and I aren't at the top of this list!

But you are right in general, somehow being a crappy player on another team does have more mystery than being a crappy player on your team.

Raisor
07-01-2009, 07:18 PM

I guess if you could trade JHj and Willy for him, then released him it would be a good fit.

Mario-Rijo
07-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Only if Darnell McDonald were the alternative and Dusty was forced to using him in the 8th (or sometimes 9th) hole.

Chip R
07-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Only if Darnell McDonald were the alternative and Dusty was forced to using him in the 8th (or sometimes 9th) hole.

See. :D

Mario-Rijo
07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
See. :D

A bit of sarcasm there...:cool:

M2
07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
If the Reds make a "big" July deal, Jack Wilson strikes me as exactly the sort of player they'd get. Then you'd get a lot of chatter about what a smart baseball move it was while Wilson posted mediocre-to-poor numbers and the team continued to sag farther below the .500 mark.

Scrap Irony
07-01-2009, 07:48 PM
If the Reds make a "big" July deal, Jack Wilson strikes me as exactly the sort of player they'd get. Then you'd get a lot of chatter about what a smart baseball move it was while Wilson posted mediocre-to-poor numbers and the team continued to sag farther below the .500 mark.

Agreed on both counts, but Wilson sure does seem to like hitting in Cincinnati.

Any SS that tickle your trade bone, M2? Do you like Wood or is he a 3B in disguise? Do you like the idea of dealing for a last-year contract or would you be willing to pay pretty big (in terms of prospects) for someone like (my personal favorite) Stephen Drew?

Or do you think Jocketty should save his trading bullets and hold the course?

jojo
07-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Jack Wilson is what he is-in the aggregate (considering both his defensive and offensive value) he's a 31 year old, league-average player making $7.25M this year and $8.4M next year to play a premium position.

A major league average player at a premium position has significant value and he's actually an upgrade for the Reds at shortstop-believe that or not. But gosh, you'd hope the Reds FO could be more creative.

M2
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Agreed on both counts, but Wilson sure does seem to like hitting in Cincinnati.

Any SS that tickle your trade bone, M2? Do you like Wood or is he a 3B in disguise? Do you like the idea of dealing for a last-year contract or would you be willing to pay pretty big (in terms of prospects) for someone like (my personal favorite) Stephen Drew?

Or do you think Jocketty should save his trading bullets and hold the course?

I thought Wood was the right target back in April and I still do. Mind you, that's not the sort of deal that makes folks think the team is chasing after October glory (even if it might be more effective than some supposedly high profile moves).

If the Reds really wanted to go for it, I suppose a deal that involves a RH OF bat and a 3B or SS would be the thing for which they'd conserve their bullets, but I doubt the Reds would be willing to fire those bullets. I'm guessing a Bailey/Stubbs/Watson package could tempt some teams and put the Reds in a position to challenge in a division where no one's taking charge, but I expect the Reds will be sellers rather than buyers.

Which brings me back to Wood. A veteran arm (starter or reliever) might land him.

Falls City Beer
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
The Reds don't have the payroll room to acquire both the offense and pitching necessary to make a serious run this season.

I'd pay a bit of Cordero's salary at the deadline and get back a massive MLB-ready bat. That's the route they need to take at the deadline. And find somewhere to dump Arroyo's salary (for no return). Then reload in the offseason in Arroyo's salary slot.

Acquiring some cipher like Jack Wilson should be the absolute last thing on Jocketty's mind.

Mario-Rijo
07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I thought Wood was the right target back in April and I still do. Mind you, that's not the sort of deal that makes folks think the team is chasing after October glory (even if it might be more effective than some supposedly high profile moves).

If the Reds really wanted to go for it, I suppose a deal that involves a RH OF bat and a 3B or SS would be the thing for which they'd conserve their bullets, but I doubt the Reds would be willing to fire those bullets. I'm guessing a Bailey/Stubbs/Watson package could tempt some teams and put the Reds in a position to challenge in a division where no one's taking charge, but I expect the Reds will be sellers rather than buyers.

Which brings me back to Wood. A veteran arm (starter or reliever) might land him.

How about Scott Hairston and Kevin Kouzmanoff? Then send off a player for Izturis or Wood from LAA. Combined those 3 players make less than EE and are not signed beyond this year young enough and experienced enough to help now and later. Kouzmanoffs power plays better in GABP and his defense I believe is much better than EE's.

Spitball
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Wood would be an excellent addition for now and the future. The problem as I see it is the organizational depth of the Angels. Yeah, they need pitching, but how badly? They were in dire need of bullpen help to bridge the gap to closer Fuentes, but suddenly, their pen has come around nicely. Speier, Oliver, and Bulger have been pretty darn effective in the last three weeks. I'm not saying they don't need depth beyond those three, but their need is not as urgent as it was earlier.

I believe they could use a starter, but Lackey, Saunders, Weaver, Palmer, and O'Sullivan have all been about as effective as anyone in the Reds rotation not named Cueto. I really believe the only Reds starter (not disabled or named Johnny) they would be interested in would be Harang. Would Wood be worth Harang alone? I'd say no, but I'd be interested if they'd throw in Trevor Reckling,who I've seen pitch twice this year. He is a lefty starter in Double A and in my opinion has a very nice future,