PDA

View Full Version : How many "from here to there" outs is Mark Berry going to have this year?

BluegrassRedleg
07-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Sam Perlazzo's club record is in jeopardy.

How many guys have to get thrown out by 10 feet (or more) at home plate before someone questions your judgment to coach third base?

BigPoppa
07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Mark's waved a few guys home that got nailed, but I've also seen a couple of guys run through his stop sign and were out by a quarter of a mile.

And we don't get on base enough to allow either scenario to occur :rolleyes:

Carolina Red
07-01-2009, 10:44 PM
This has been going on for several years now. He has terrible judgement when it comes to sending or holding runners. I don't know what he brings to the team but since he is a leftover from the previous manager's staff I'm surprised he's still here.

DTCromer
07-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Who's the best 3rd base coach in the majors?

BluegrassRedleg
07-01-2009, 11:40 PM

The guy whose name goes unknown to a large extent. ;)

BigPoppa
07-02-2009, 02:21 AM

Rich Donnelly

defender
07-02-2009, 03:10 AM
The one on the team with the fastest base runners.

Slyder
07-02-2009, 03:16 AM

The one whos right the most often.

DTCromer
07-02-2009, 08:59 AM
THanks for answering my question. Most 3rd base coaches in this league have guys get thrown out at 3rd or home all the time. I've never seen a GREAT 3rd base coach in my lifetime.

flash
07-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Third base coaches have their problems, but

I couldn't believe Dickerson's running last night or the announcer's assessment that he had done such a great job. He must have looked behind himself twice, andI don't think he looked at Berry once. Calling that great baserunning is a flat out lie.

Then to almost add injury to insult Dickerson nearly stepped on the bat after touching home. That would have been great. Where was the bat boy? Isn't that his job?

Carin4Narron
07-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Mark Berry is the worst 3rd base coach in the history of the game. Period!

texasdave
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Come on, let's be honest here. Most Reds' baserunners are in near-virgin territory when they come whipping around third. Sure there are gonna be mix-ups. And how does a third base coach stay sharp when he is waving a runner home once every couple of games?
:D

BigPoppa
07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Come on, let's be honest here. Most Reds' baserunners are in near-virgin territory when they come whipping around third. Sure there are gonna be mix-ups. And how does a third base coach stay sharp when he is waving a runner home once every couple of games?

TexasDave speaks the painful truth.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
THanks for answering my question. Most 3rd base coaches in this league have guys get thrown out at 3rd or home all the time. I've never seen a GREAT 3rd base coach in my lifetime.

That may be a valid point, but it wasn't the one I was originally making. Berry gets guys hosed by 10 FEET or more on a regular basis. Most of these aren't bang-bang plays. They're painfully obvious "hold up" moments. I like being aggressive, especially with a team that struggles to score, but you can't be foolish. He's been foolish on many occasions.

BluegrassRedleg
07-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Point taken. :p: