PDA

View Full Version : What I would do before the deadline....

travisgrimes
07-03-2009, 04:08 AM
Watching the Reds this season has been like having bi-polar disorder. One second I'm excited to watch this team and the next I feel like punching myself in the face. I think there are a few things the Reds front office could do to really make this team a division winner.

1. Cincinnati Reds trade OF Laynce Nix, RP Carlos Fisher and PTBNL to the Atlanta Braves for SS Yunel Escobar. WHY THIS WORKS? The Braves are clearly looking for a bat to play LF and Nix fits that. Nix has put up strong numbers so far and would play everyday in ATL. The Reds would be getting a cheap young and very good shortstop who has shown he can hit and field like an all-star.

2. Cincinnati Reds trade OF Drew Stubbs and RP Jared Burton to the Washington Nationals for OF Elijah Dukes. WHY THIS WORKS? The Nationals are known to want a speedy defensive young outfield which Stubbs helps them get that. Burton also adds another arm in their pen which they so desperately need. Dukes gives the Reds a young major power bat in the lineup and I think hitting in GABP and a change of scenary may turn him around.

3. Cincinnati Reds trade SP Bronson Arroyo, OF Chris Heisey and MAYBE a PTBNL to the Texas Rangers for C Jarrod Saltalamacchia. WHY THIS WORKS? The Rangers have three catchers whom could start for them and really like Teagarden the best. Salty is not able to DH there because of Blalock and Davis not being able to field their positions. The Rangers need another solid starter in their rotation to be able to stay in it. The Reds get a young power hitting catcher which is what they've been searching for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lineup:
1. CF Chris Dickerson
2. SS Yunel Escobar
3. 1B Joey Votto
4. 2B Brandon Phillips
5. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
6. RF Jay Bruce
7. LF Elijah Dukes
8. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
9. P

The Reds would add much more pop with those trades and also increase the speed as well (except Salty). We also get younger at key spots and will allow us leeway onc Francisco and Alonso are ready we can then deal EdE. Then we can move Dukes to CF to allow Votto to move to LF, Francisco to play 3rd and Alonso to start at 1st.

RedLakerFan24
07-03-2009, 04:27 AM
You wont get Ynuel Escobar for Nix and Fisher

davereds24
07-03-2009, 04:35 AM
just my thoughts, sorry if they seem too negative

1. This seems the closest to being realistic to both teams of the 3 proposals, but I'm not sure Nix has any value right now. He really looks bad against lefties, and I don't think the Braves would trade Escobar for a platoon guy.

2. Too much to give up.

3. Why give up on Hanigan? He can't hit for power but that's not really a position you need power out of. Also, there is 0% chance the Rangers can take on a contract like Arroyo's.

Overall, you are sacrificing a big part of the future bullpen and 2 very good outfield prospects for a team that really doesn't look like it would be able to compete for an NL title.

BLEEDS
07-03-2009, 09:31 AM
1. Cincinnati Reds trade OF Laynce Nix, RP Carlos Fisher and PTBNL to the Atlanta Braves for SS Yunel Escobar. WHY THIS WORKS? The Braves are clearly looking for a bat to play LF and Nix fits that. Nix has put up strong numbers so far and would play everyday in ATL. The Reds would be getting a cheap young and very good shortstop who has shown he can hit and field like an all-star.

Nix is not an everyday player, but trying to trick someone into thinking that is a good idea. Atlanta would never bite though. Probably have to give up someone like Dickerson for Escobar.

2. Cincinnati Reds trade OF Drew Stubbs and RP Jared Burton to the Washington Nationals for OF Elijah Dukes. WHY THIS WORKS? The Nationals are known to want a speedy defensive young outfield which Stubbs helps them get that. Burton also adds another arm in their pen which they so desperately need. Dukes gives the Reds a young major power bat in the lineup and I think hitting in GABP and a change of scenary may turn him around.

Are you sure you don't want to throw Jay Bruce in there?!?! Jeez!!
Elijah Dukes?!?!? I don't know that I'd trade either one of them SOLELY for him with something else of value coming back, let alone both.
I think Stubbs is the CF of the future for the Reds, he seems to be getting on base pretty well in AAA and he's stealing bases as well.
Burton has too much talent to give up on IMO.
You don't trade talent like that for a guy you hope benefits from a change of scenery to maybe play more than 80 games for you and maybe hit above .260 for the first time in his career?!
I don't get it.

3. Cincinnati Reds trade SP Bronson Arroyo, OF Chris Heisey and MAYBE a PTBNL to the Texas Rangers for C Jarrod Saltalamacchia. WHY THIS WORKS? The Rangers have three catchers whom could start for them and really like Teagarden the best. Salty is not able to DH there because of Blalock and Davis not being able to field their positions. The Rangers need another solid starter in their rotation to be able to stay in it. The Reds get a young power hitting catcher which is what they've been searching for.

Arroyo is struggling now, so not much value to anyone, esp. now that his "surgery requiring" carpal tunnel syndrome is out there for everyone to read about.
Heisey is a good "sell high" guy, BUT
WHY do we need to trade for a THIRD catcher, when we already have 2 decent ones who are vying for PT?
I'd trade Bronson - though I've been against it, with his injury issue, even tho he should come back fine, I'd consider it a risk still and it's enough to push me over the edge - but I'd want it to be for more than a #3 of anything.
Salty is not that much better overall than Hernandez, perhaps even all things considered, and I like Hanigan's youth and value and ridiculous OBP right now, so I'm not sure why we'd make such a move.

I like the idea of getting Escobar though, or another SS, but we'll have to up the ante.

I like the idea of getting an everyday LF Power Bat, but it's got to be better than Elijah Dukes types.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

xavr1
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
I think C is maybe the one position Im not worried about right now.

schmidty622
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't think the Reds have the firepower to get Escobar. The Braves are looking for a major league ready bat. The Reds have very few.

Maldez
07-03-2009, 10:19 AM
These hypothetical trades are pointless...... you could go on and on and on for eternity with an endless string of "How about we trade four of our So and Sos for two of Team X's What's-his-faces".

Orodle
07-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Why would Texas (or anyone) want Arroyo?

Newman4
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Why would Texas (or anyone) want Arroyo?

Half the posters on the Sun Deck and like 80% of the guys on ORG want him. I agree he needs to be traded though.

Jones1
07-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Nix is not an everyday player, but trying to trick someone into thinking that is a good idea. Atlanta would never bite though. Probably have to give up someone like Dickerson for Escobar.

Are you sure you don't want to throw Jay Bruce in there?!?! Jeez!!
Elijah Dukes?!?!? I don't know that I'd trade either one of them SOLELY for him with something else of value coming back, let alone both.
I think Stubbs is the CF of the future for the Reds, he seems to be getting on base pretty well in AAA and he's stealing bases as well.
Burton has too much talent to give up on IMO.
You don't trade talent like that for a guy you hope benefits from a change of scenery to maybe play more than 80 games for you and maybe hit above .260 for the first time in his career?!
I don't get it.

Arroyo is struggling now, so not much value to anyone, esp. now that his "surgery requiring" carpal tunnel syndrome is out there for everyone to read about.
Heisey is a good "sell high" guy, BUT
WHY do we need to trade for a THIRD catcher, when we already have 2 decent ones who are vying for PT?
I'd trade Bronson - though I've been against it, with his injury issue, even tho he should come back fine, I'd consider it a risk still and it's enough to push me over the edge - but I'd want it to be for more than a #3 of anything.
Salty is not that much better overall than Hernandez, perhaps even all things considered, and I like Hanigan's youth and value and ridiculous OBP right now, so I'm not sure why we'd make such a move.

I like the idea of getting Escobar though, or another SS, but we'll have to up the ante.

I like the idea of getting an everyday LF Power Bat, but it's got to be better than Elijah Dukes types.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Aubrey Huff for a lower level, minor league prospect like Cozart or Fransisco, maybe throw in a pitcher to like Maloney or Thompson. You cant deny what Huff has done in his 8 and a half year career, the guy can hit. He also plays LF RF 3rd and 1st base. Did I mention he's an Ohio native Marion, Ohio.

In his 8 and a half year career, he's hit over 300 4 times hit over 20 home runs 6 times and his career BA is 286, career obp is 344, career ops is 824. He makes Mark Derosa look like Corey Patterson get it done Walt, he won't cost much.

Kingspoint
07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
It's all irrelevant what you would do because Baker will play the worst players all the time.