PDA

View Full Version : The importance of the Cardinals series

Nasty_Boy
07-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I think most of us feel that this Reds team has survived on smoke and mirrors to this point in the season. It's been discussed that a LF is need, maybe another starting pitcher, and a SS for sure. With a big weekend, will this series force Bob and Walt's hand? Does it even matter? Thoughts, opinions, and Go Reds!

RedlegJake
07-03-2009, 04:41 PM
It's an important series but lets not get carried away. The only really bad thing would be getting swept. The miracle would be sweeping them. Even a single win likely leaves them just 3 out. 2 of 3 just a game out, and depending on Milwaukee even sweeping them doesn't mean the Reds are in first. So - no, it's not time to hit any panic buttons or for Walt to have his hand forced. Just avoid a sweep or win 2 of 3. Get EE back in the lineup, and settled in and the Reds lineup is not half bad. Actually pretty good the nights Chris is in center. One game at a time - get a win first night and the pressure is off the Reds and on the Cards.

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Honestly, I'm not expecting much from the Reds this series. The Cardinals miss our top three starters. With Bailey, Owings, and a struggling Arroyo going plus our weak offense, this could be a bad weekend. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love nothing more than to see our Reds sweep or take two of three from the Cardinals.

Caveat Emperor
07-03-2009, 06:44 PM
They'll sweep, get everyone excited and in a frenzy, then limp to the All Star break.

Such is the way of things with the Cincinnati Reds. ;)

Edskin
07-03-2009, 10:31 PM
They'll sweep, get everyone excited and in a frenzy, then limp to the All Star break.

Such is the way of things with the Cincinnati Reds. ;)

At least we don't have to worry about that now :)

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Great job by the Reds to blow a 3-0 lead tonight. Homer Bailey pitched an absolute gem and Dusty Baker, Arthur Rhodes, David Weathers, Paul Janish and the offense blew it for him. Easily the worst loss of the season. By far.

If Bailey is going to pitch the 8th, you give him one baserunner. One. If someone reaches base then you pull him. Too bad Dusty left him in too long.

And then he brings in Weathers to face Pujols. Pujols OWNS Weathers. He's the last guy you bring in there. Unbelievable.

I'm taking a break from this team for a while. I won't watch another game until after the All-Star break.

This is the type of loss really hurts. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds go in a huge tailspin.

Caveat Emperor
07-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Pujols OWNS the Reds.

Fixed it for you.

He wasn't going to go 0-4 -- the only thing you can control with Pujols is what happens in front of him.

Keep runners off base, and the worst thing he can do to you is add a "1" to the scoreboard.

icehole3
07-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Arizona gave them a gift win Thursday and yesterday was the Reds turn, it happens, the media does what they do, go nuts over every game, basically you just keep putting pressure every game on your opponent and let the best team win, I still like this team.

Always Red
07-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Arizona gave them a gift win Thursday and yesterday was the Reds turn, it happens, the media does what they do, go nuts over every game, basically you just keep putting pressure every game on your opponent and let the best team win, I still like this team.

LOL- we here at RZ go nuts over every game, too. ;)

This season is reminding me of the 2006 season. I think this team has the talent to stay near .500. If the rest of the division can't pull away, then they will be close at the end.

As long as they win one of the three games, then this series is no big deal. If they get swept, it's a bigger deal. But then, it's only early July. The last two years the Reds were out of it by Memorial Day. Today is Independence Day, and the games still have meaning. I like it.

OnBaseMachine
07-04-2009, 03:59 PM
A win today. Yah, I guess. It's really hard for me to get excited over a win today after that debacle last night.

The Reds are 5-4 against the Cardinals this season but they should be 6-3 or 7-2.

Today's game shouldn't have been that close. This team is horrible with runners on third and less than two outs. It's becoming a common occurence for the Reds to put a runner on third with less than two outs and then strand him. It seems like it happens at least once a game.

reds44
07-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Give the guys a lot of credit, people on here were expecting them to go into a tailspin and they bounced right off the matt.

Falls City Beer
07-04-2009, 04:05 PM
A win today. Yah, I guess. It's really hard for me to get excited over a win today after that debacle last night.

The Reds are 5-4 against the Cardinals this season but they should be 6-3 or 7-2.

Today's game shouldn't have been that close. This team is horrible with runners on third and less than two outs. It's becoming a common occurence for the Reds to put a runner on third with less than two outs and then strand him. It seems like it happens at least once a game.

Why? I'd say it's a nice moral victory so far that they have gone 5-4 against them.

Great win today. Let's pray for The Flood tonight to wash away tomorrow's game.