PDA

View Full Version : The Home Run?

RedFanAlways1966
07-03-2009, 11:52 PM
The new REDS... no power. I'll take good pitching over home runs after suffering through many years of bad pitching. I'll also be happy with a .500 record at this point and still alive in the division. But has the lack of power (easy on the Dunn-tangent arguments!) hurt this team? 72 home runs after 78 games.

78 games
2009 = 72 homers (W/L 39-39)
2008 = 85 homers (W/L 35-43)
2007 = 111 homers (W/L 30-48)
2006 = 111 homers (W/L 42-36)

The REDS have had 29 games (37.2% of games) without a home run. They are 12-17 in those games. Five of those losses were by 1 run. A homer might change the outcome.

Do the REDS have a legit power threat? Bruce (18 HR)? I do not see Phillips as a legit HR threat. If they had another legit threat (and paid for it), could it have possibly given the 2009 team two or three more wins at this point and much closer to 1st-place? Perhaps.

Dunn after 78 games
2009 = 21 homers
2008 = 18 homers
2007 = 22 homers
2006 = 24 homers

One example of a legit power threat that was available. The FO decided not to do it or sign any other free agent offensive threats. The lack of runs (36 games, 46%, with 3 or less runs) has been a glaring weakness for this team.

I enjoy the pitching, but...

Ron Madden
07-04-2009, 12:01 AM
I'd like to have another power hitter, maybe Edwin can help us there.

The Reds didn't loose the past 8 years because they hit a lot of HRs, they lost because they had bad pitching.

;)

traderumor
07-04-2009, 12:11 AM

The Reds didn't loose the past 8 years because they hit a lot of HRs, they lost because they had bad pitching.

;)I think it is more correct to say that they were bad teams that hit a lot of home runs. They pitched bad, they fielded bad, they ran the bases bad, they played ugly baseball. It wasn't just "good hitting, no pitching."

WVRedsFan
07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
The FO decided not to do it or sign any other free agent offensive threats. The lack of runs (36 games, 46%, with 3 or less runs) has been a glaring weakness for this team.

I enjoy the pitching, but...
Sooo, they overpaid for a closer who doesn't get to close many games, making the money needed for offense scarce. One of the stars of the rotation is probably lost for the season. We depended on a shortstop who hasn't played much in two years, but can't hit anyway. We valued JHJ so much that he was our "main priority" to sign in the off season. We traded away Adam Dunn and KGJ, both 100 RBI men and didn't replace them (I know Jr was old, but you get my point).

A lot of these things were done by Krivisy (Codero and Gonzalez), but just as many by Jocketty. It's a maddening thing that no matter who sits in the GM seat, we get screwy decisions. Like not pulling the trigger on trades for bats because they don't want to add to payroll or resigning never-wases or has-beens instead of seeking and signing established players. It's never ending.

Time after time, the hope is Edwin will help some way and it never happens. Don't count on it.

kaldaniels
07-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Sooo, they overpaid for a closer who doesn't get to close many games, making the money needed for offense scarce. One of the stars of the rotation is probably lost for the season. We depended on a shortstop who hasn't played much in two years, but can't hit anyway. We valued JHJ so much that he was our "main priority" to sign in the off season. We traded away Adam Dunn and KGJ, both 100 RBI men and didn't replace them (I know Jr was old, but you get my point).

A lot of these things were done by Krivisy (Codero and Gonzalez), but just as many by Jocketty. It's a maddening thing that no matter who sits in the GM seat, we get screwy decisions. Like not pulling the trigger on trades for bats because they don't want to add to payroll or resigning never-wases or has-beens instead of seeking and signing established players. It's never ending.

Time after time, the hope is Edwin will help some way and it never happens. Don't count on it.

In terms of payroll dollars, I'd say WK is responsible for much for of this roster dredge that you speak of.

nate
07-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I think it is more correct to say that they were bad teams that hit a lot of home runs. They pitched bad, they fielded bad, they ran the bases bad, they played ugly baseball. It wasn't just "good hitting, no pitching."

It wasn't even good hitting.

kaldaniels
07-04-2009, 11:00 AM
delete