PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Venezeulan SS Humberto Valor

RedsManRick
07-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else. Anybody have any details?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/reds-sign-humberto-valor.html

Kiley McDaniel tweets that the Reds have signed Venezuelan shortstop Humberto Valor. The bonus is said to be in the "high six figures." Valor is said be a solid all-around player with good instincts and very good defense at short.

redsfandan
07-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I almost created a new thread about this a couple hours ago but I saw it already posted here:
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75452&page=10

OnBaseMachine
07-04-2009, 02:44 AM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere else. Anybody have any details?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/reds-sign-humberto-valor.html

From Jorge Arangure:

Valor was considered by some as the best position player in VZ.True SS. Athletic. Advanced approach. Line drive hitter. Great sign for #Reds

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure

cincyinco
07-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Really stoked about this.. I am glad we got a top prospect out of LA..

Some may still be disappointed we didn't get more, but the reds were linked to other top names such as pena and cabrera. Sure it would have been nice to land another top talent(and who knows, we may yet).. But I really can't fault their efforts.

lollipopcurve
07-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Sure it would have been nice to land another top talent(and who knows, we may yet).. But I really can't fault their efforts.

One top talent is great -- most teams don't get one.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Hopefully Valor can be uncommon for this organization.

A true SS prospect.

dougdirt
07-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Hopefully Valor can be uncommon for this organization.

A true SS prospect.

We have two of them right now without him, perhaps three if you want to count Junior Arias.

NorrisHopper30
07-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Nice signing, we need a real shortstop.

How old is he?

OnBaseMachine
07-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Nice signing, we need a real shortstop.

How old is he?

16 years old.

mac624
07-04-2009, 02:23 PM
the Reds won't be signing Marreo or Perez from this year's draft. Valor and Arias (in the DSL now) give the Reds two extremely young, extremely gifted, true SS prospects. Arias started out AWFUL this summer in DSL, but his his first HR yesterday and has picked it up of late. While both these kids are years away, with Hamilton doing his thing in GCL and these two kids, the Reds are all of a sudden extremely athletic and talented at SS for the first time in FOREVER.

aubashbrother
07-04-2009, 03:37 PM
i still think they get one of Marreo and Perez signed

DTCromer
07-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Maybe some of the Redzones can comment on the cheapness of the organization again.

Man, those were some good times.

It's nice to see us dipping into the Latin Market more and more.

mac624
07-04-2009, 04:22 PM
love for them to ante up the $$$ for Fowler. Still think Barnhart will sign, but I'd love to have Fowler and Tucker Barnhart to round out the signings of Tuttle, Boxberger, and Leake.

reds1869
07-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Great, great signing. Valor could be big league ready at a fairly young age and could contribute substantially with the glove and the bat.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
We have two of them right now without him, perhaps three if you want to count Junior Arias.

I just wanted to use Valor and uncommon in a sentence. Having said that, who are the two? Rojas and Cozart?

I guess I forgot about Cozart, but I probably wouldn't put Rojas in that category until he can hit just a little bit.

dougdirt
07-05-2009, 03:37 AM
I just wanted to use Valor and uncommon in a sentence. Having said that, who are the two? Rojas and Cozart?

I guess I forgot about Cozart, but I probably wouldn't put Rojas in that category until he can hit just a little bit.

Yeah, those are the two. As for Rojas, he has hit well over the last 2+ months. Since April ended he has hit .271/.338/.362 with 21 walks and 19 strikeouts while hitting more line drives each month along the way. He is a real skinny kid right now. If he can add a little more weight and slightly more pop, he is a starting shortstop in the Majors if things keep just moving along. Maybe I am wrong in that thought process, but thats what I see when I watch him play and look at the numbers.

Benihana
07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Any word on how much Valor got? I know they said "high six figures," but is there anything more specific?

New Fever
07-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Any word on how much Valor got? I know they said "high six figures," but is there anything more specific?

Humberto Valor got 1.5 million, and the Reds have spent 3.8 million so far in 2009. The Reds have spent the sixth most money on International signings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4316025&name=gammons_peter

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Humberto Valor got 1.5 million, and the Reds have spent 3.8 million so far in 2009. The Reds have spent the sixth most money on International signings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4316025&name=gammons_peter

Wow, so much for the Reds going cheap this year. They spent roughly $6 million last year (by far the most in the majors). They probably won't reach that figure this season but ya never know, the signing period is still open for months.

RedsManRick
07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
According to Mark Sheldon, the Reds signed Valor for just $690,000.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/07/no_moves_jocketty_on_hitter_ne.html

LoganBuck
07-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Fay hints that the reason the Reds are so adamant about Valor getting $690,000 is because some of their unsigned draft picks are a little upset about it. Hmmm

dougdirt
07-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Fay hints that the reason the Reds are so adamant about Valor getting $690,000 is because some of their unsigned draft picks are a little upset about it. Hmmm
Well if you signed a guy for $700,000 or so and its being reported you signed him for more than twice that and then potential employees are upset by it wouldn't you come out and say that the initial report was wrong? I know I would. Agents are trying to play off of false information, better for the Reds to put the truth out there.

Benihana
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM

I would assume this is referring to Boxberger. So far as I can tell, he's the only one that would fall within the $700-$1.5MM range. Leake should get more than that, and Barnhardt and the two Miami SS (who most likely aren't going to sign anyway) wouldn't get close to that amount.

Mario-Rijo
07-23-2009, 03:13 AM
I would assume this is referring to Boxberger. So far as I can tell, he's the only one that would fall within the $700-$1.5MM range. Leake should get more than that, and Barnhardt and the two Miami SS (who most likely aren't going to sign anyway) wouldn't get close to that amount.

I would think the SS's would be the ones having a problem with it. This kid who isn't as advanced as us or anymore as talented (may or may not be true but they could make the claim) and he gets 1.5 million and you are offering us 100K (or whatever it is). Perhaps they feel like despite the fact they can't ask for as much they definitely should garner whatever is they are asking for since he has "gotten so much".

I say that because Leake, Boxberger and Barnhart have already allegedly agreed in principle or are close. The other 2 we haven't heard a peep about yet, other than their facebook pages which seem to indicate that they were not all that enthusiastic about the offers. Valor might have cost us those 2 and that bites.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Prediction:

Leake: $2M
Boxberger: $900K
Barnhart: $400K