PDA

View Full Version : Something noticed last night

Hoosier Red
07-04-2009, 02:33 PM
A small thing but I was curious if anyone noticed this last night.

Both when Duncan came in to talk to Franklin in the Votto AB and when Molina came to talk to him in the Phillips AB, everyone completely blew the umpire off when he came to break up the meeting.

During the Votto AB, I saw the umpire say something like 3 seperate times and they kept ignoring him. I'd never seen anyone blow off the umpire quite so obviously.

Is there anything an umpire can do?

I(heart)Freel
07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Completely agree. It was ticking me off... ump needs to assert himself there. Looked like he was listening to the conversation, waiting for it to end instead of making it end.

Hoosier Red
07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
After the third time, I'd hope the umpire say, "The next pitch is a ball and I don't care where you throw it."

BCubb2003
07-04-2009, 03:38 PM
More likely, "Wrap it up or someone gets tossed."

WMR
07-04-2009, 03:42 PM
More likely, "Wrap it up or someone gets tossed."

LOL that's exactly what I said when a coach tried to big time me like that at an all-star game I was umping one time. You don't see it as much in the big leagues, b/c I guess most managers/players already know you can't mess around with major league umps like that. I see that sort of disrespect all the time with other "amateur" umps however who don't assert themselves as being the "boss" of the situation.

Tony Cloninger
07-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I noticed it as well but since the Cardinals are all great and powerful..... They themselves will tell the umpire when they are done.

George Anderson
07-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Is there anything an umpire can do?

I had a similar incident this past spring in the IHSAA tournament where I went out to break up a conference. The coach kept talking while I was telling him we needed to play. So I kept interrupting him till he left the mound.

The situation last night was interesting because the HP umpire has been in MLB for 12 years, so it's not like the Cards were taking advantage of a rookie umpire.http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/bio.jsp?id=2366