PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: DODGERS and REDS talking trade?????

red-in-la
07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
This is a really weak rumor so take it for what it is worth. My son-in-law lifelong Dodger fan says his fellow fans are telling him that a rumor has a Aaron Harang for Matt Kemp trade is the works.

The Dodgers are looking for an innings eater, I know that, and the guys on the Fox telecast just affirmed that with a passing comment. With Manny back, the Dodgers want to work Juan Pierre into their line up. The only problem is they cannot play 4 outfielders.

Too me, if they did this trade, they would have the worst centerfielder (and the worst outfield) maybe in baseball history.

Anyway, this is the weakest rumor I have ever posted....so take it with a grain of salt.

Joseph
07-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Who would have the worst CF and OF in history, the Reds or the Dodgers? I assume the Dodgers, but you never know.

You know, I'd rather do it for Arroyo, but I'd still discuss it.

RedEye
07-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I actually kind of love that deal. Kemp is a great player and would fit into the lineup really nicely. I would think such an acquisition would also free up Heisey/Stubbs for other deals. It would hurt to let Aaron go, but I have to think a top young CF is a pretty good return.

Anyway, if nothing else, this should be an interesting trade deadline with Arroyo and Harang likely on the block.

Ron Madden
07-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyway, this is the weakest rumor I have ever posted....so take it with a grain of salt.

Ya never know.

reds44
07-04-2009, 07:06 PM
That's an interesting idea.

Then a platoon of Taveras and Dickerson in LF?

dougdirt
07-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I would pull the trigger on that one. It would be a tough one to swallow but Kemp is exactly the kind of target you want for Aaron Harang. Young, locked up for a few years still and quite good.

Mario-Rijo
07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Not that I don't believe you Red in LA but I don't buy it if that's the deal. If there is more to it perhaps. #1 reason being dollars of which the Dodgers alledgedly aren't taking on salary or much anyway. #2 If it did happen it wouldn't likely occur until Volquez got back (in a few weeks) and looked fine after an outing or 2. And #3 the Reds would be helping a team that they may end up facing assuming they were to make the playoffs.

If there is more to the deal I might be able to see it otherwise I just don't. And I'd still rather have Scott Hairston (OPS of .904) at a much cheaper price (in terms of return). Then again maybe they are talking potential deal in August. With the economy the way it is less teams will risk claiming a player on waivers with a sizable contract so Harang might be able to slip thru, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah and I'd rather have martin or Ethier but Kemp for Harang just talent wise I'd be willing to consider at this point.

MrCinatit
07-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Geez, I like Harang a lot. But for Matt Kemp? Sign me up.
Good hitter. Young. Good fielder. Added bonus: according to baseball reference, one batter he is similar to is Bruce Campbell - so we wouldn't have to worry about the armies of the undead, either!

Ron Madden
07-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I'd take Kemp over JHJ any day.

red-in-la
07-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Who would have the worst CF and OF in history, the Reds or the Dodgers? I assume the Dodgers, but you never know.

You know, I'd rather do it for Arroyo, but I'd still discuss it.

The Dodgers, sorry I didn't make that clear. The dodgers would have to play Manny in LF and Juan Pierre in CF. Pierre is narely adequate as a LF, and as a CF he would be plain awful.

But the Dodgers love having Furcal and Pierre in their order and I think they would put up with the defense.

Harang is exactly the kind of stallworth the Dodgers need. As the Fox boys pointed out, the only Dodger pitcher who regularly goes past 5 innings is Billingsly.

TheNext44
07-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Pretty easy decision if I'm the Reds GM.

31 year old pitcher, with $25.25M left on a two year contract (or $14.5 on a one year), who probably will be the #3 at best pitcher on the staff, during those years,

for a

24 year old CF, who hasn't even hit arbitration yet, who would be the Reds cleanup hitter for the next three years, at least, easily projecting to have an .850+ OPS playing in GABP.

Even if the Reds didn't need offense in the worst way, and had enough starting pitching both at the MLb level and in the minors that Harang would not be missed that much, I would still do this trade as fast as I could, before the Dodgers came to their senses.

TRF
07-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Harang at Dodger stadium? He'd be one of the top three pitcher in that division.

BCubb2003
07-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Harang at Dodger stadium? He'd be one of the top three pitcher in that division.

But he'd go from no offense to no defense, poor dude.

TRF
07-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Harang isn't as defense dependent as some. Fly balls are a lot easier to catch than GB's

HokieRed
07-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd do that trade but not with the idea that we're competing in 2009--I just don't see us doing that without Harang.

Brutus
07-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't think this is a wacky rumor at all. It makes sense for both teams, in fact. Whether either team would be willing to pull the trigger on it is another story, but it 100% makes logical sense as to why it might be discussed (of course, perhaps too logical).

red-in-la
07-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Geez, I like Harang a lot. But for Matt Kemp? Sign me up.
Good hitter. Young. Good fielder. Added bonus: according to baseball reference, one batter he is similar to is Bruce Campbell - so we wouldn't have to worry about the armies of the undead, either!

My discussion with my son-in-law only went so far as a trade was being discussed......I assume that there would be other minors involved and that the Reds might be sending more than just Harang andthey might get back more than just Kemp.

My son-in-law's attitude about this rumor is that it would get the Dodger GM fired....that the Dodgers would be nuts to trade a future All-Star for Harang. That said, both Loney and Ethier have exceeded Kemp in terms of development to this point and some here are not so enamoured with some of Kemp's stats.

I think the Reds would be stealing Kemp if the Dodgers made a move like this, but, I also hated (and still do) the Hamilton deal. The Reds should not be considering trading pitching to get offense....they had all the offense they needed before they dumped Hamilton.

Caveat Emperor
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
OTOH -- just playing devil's advocate here -- you'd also be trading your most consistent pitcher for a player that plays a position (CF) where you theoretically have a rookie (Dickerson), and two good high-minors prospects (Stubbs and Heisey) already available within your own organizations.

CF is one of the only positions the Reds are developing effectively in the minors -- it's just the deployment at the major league level (playing Taveras) that is problematic.

Brutus
07-04-2009, 09:26 PM
OTOH -- just playing devil's advocate here -- you'd also be trading your most consistent pitcher for a player that plays a position (CF) where you theoretically have a rookie (Dickerson), and two good high-minors prospects (Stubbs and Heisey) already available within your own organizations.

CF is one of the only positions the Reds are developing effectively in the minors -- it's just the deployment at the major league level (playing Taveras) that is problematic.

The flip side of the coin is that you could then turn some of those prospects into a pitching acquisition. Heck, for even less, you might be able to acquire Doug Davis. Then you've kept a solid rotation and still upgraded the offense (with a young, up-and-coming hitter no less).

It could be a win-win situation.

guttle11
07-04-2009, 09:32 PM
The flip side of the coin is that you could then turn some of those prospects into a pitching acquisition. Heck, for even less, you might be able to acquire Doug Davis. Then you've kept a solid rotation and still upgraded the offense (with a young, up-and-coming hitter no less).

It could be a win-win situation.

Not only that, but I don't think Kemp would play CF for the Reds. He would be in LF. Kemp, Taveras/Dickerson, Bruce with Gomes and Nix off the bench is not the worst OF the Reds could put out there. In fact, it's better than what they put out right now.

Use the money saved from Harang, package some prospects, and get a cheaper Harang-like innings eater. You might even be able to upgrade, because let's face it, it's not 2006 anymore. Harang has become a #3-4 like starter. His production level would not be very difficult to replace. It's just a matter of finding a willing partner (or two in this hypothetical) and having the guts to pull the trigger yourself.

I would love a series of moves like what we're discussing. This is how cash strapped teams like the Reds upgrade immediately without mortgaging the future. You simply go from Stubbs/whoever/Harang to Kemp/whoever.

Blitz Dorsey
07-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Harang is exactly the kind of stallworth the Dodgers need.

Well, I don't know if the Dodgers need a guy that's going to drive drunk and kill someone.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Your point is solid.)

Brutus
07-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Not only that, but I don't think Kemp would play CF for the Reds. He would be in LF. Kemp, Taveras/Dickerson, Bruce with Gomes and Nix off the bench is not the worst OF the Reds could put out there.

Use the money saved from Harang, package some prospects, and get a cheaper Harang-like innings eater. You might even be able to upgrade, because let's face it, it's not 2006 anymore. Harang has become a #3-4 like starter. His production level would not be very difficult to replace. It's just a matter of finding a willing partner (or two in this hypothetical) and having the guts to pull the trigger yourself.

That's the thing. In a normal market (like one where someone like C.C. Sabathia is available), there's no way the Dodgers think about trading a Matt Kemp. But A) they have a surplus of outfielders and B) they know they are one top-line, innings-eating starter away from a Championship caliber team. The market is as such that the Reds may strike gold if they're willing to pull the trigger.

Of course, this all might be a moot point. There may be absolutely no truth to this. But as stale as the market is this season, especially for front-line starters, I could definitely see this deal being discussed.

Cedric
07-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I would do cartwheels for hours if this was true. I find it VERY doubtful though.

IMO you have a true superstar in Matt Kemp if dealt to Cincinnati. Get him 300+ at bats in GABP and I can't imagine how impressive he would be. I'm also deeply worried about Harang in the near future. He relies on his sneaky velocity for his success. Any drop in velocity will probably foreshadow a huge drop in production.

Joseph
07-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I would do cartwheels for hours if this was true. I find it VERY doubtful though.

IMO you have a true superstar in Matt Kemp if dealt to Cincinnati. Get him 300+ at bats in GABP and I can't imagine how impressive he would be. I'm also deeply worried about Harang in the near future. He relies on his sneaky velocity for his success. Any drop in velocity will probably foreshadow a huge drop in production.

And we are seemingly seeing that more and more lately.

corkedbat
07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Sign me up as in favor

missionhockey21
07-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Cueto, injured and questionable Volquez, Bronson "I'd rather be playing guitar" Arroyo, 5th starter Owings, and Bailey fresh off his one good start in a long time.... the kind of staff that wins playoff games. :thumbup:

Some people on this board never cease to amaze me with how often they continue to undervalue Aaron Harang. I understand the appeal with Kemp, I'd love to have him, but I sure as hell would rather have Harang pitching a big game for us than anyone else we have not named Johnny Cueto. This afterall is a team 2.0 games back.

Finding an above average solid starter for the OF instead of a budding star would be a lot cheaper and save us one of the most consistent NL pitchers (when healthy.)

Degenerate39
07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
NO way I give up Harang for Kemp.

Big Klu
07-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, I don't know if the Dodgers need a guy that's going to drive drunk and kill someone.

Maybe he meant HOF'er John Stallworth. :D

Homer Bailey
07-04-2009, 11:35 PM

This and the Votto-Eminem post. Two of the best posts I've seen in the history of this website. And that is saying something. :thumbup:

alloverjr
07-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Cueto, injured and questionable Volquez, Bronson "I'd rather be playing guitar" Arroyo, 5th starter Owings, and Bailey fresh off his one good start in a long time.... the kind of staff that wins playoff games. :thumbup:

Some people on this board never cease to amaze me with how often they continue to undervalue Aaron Harang. I understand the appeal with Kemp, I'd love to have him, but I sure as hell would rather have Harang pitching a big game for us than anyone else we have not named Johnny Cueto. This afterall is a team 2.0 games back.

Finding an above average solid starter for the OF instead of a budding star would be a lot cheaper and save us one of the most consistent NL pitchers (when healthy.)

I don't think this is undervaluing Harang at all. In fact quite the opposite if you feel that Harang can net a kid like Kemp.

And while the Reds are only 2 games out on July 4th, I really think this club is a year away from contending in September. While a move like this may not increase the chances for '09, I think t makes them more than solid next year. And I'd hate to pass up a chance like this to hold on to the dream that 2009 is the Reds year.

membengal
07-05-2009, 12:20 AM
What alllove said. This IS valuing Harang, and about the only kind of return that I would want for him. High value, huge upside, cheap years still in hand.

I do this six days a week and twice on Sunday.

RichRed
07-05-2009, 11:02 AM
What alllove said. This IS valuing Harang, and about the only kind of return that I would want for him. High value, huge upside, cheap years still in hand.

I do this six days a week and twice on Sunday.

Absoulutely. And who knows, maybe there's something to the rumor. I wonder if the Dodgers are irritated at Kemp's strikeouts because all his other numbers are excellent.

Kemp has a line this year of .303/.367/.475 with 19 SBs in 22 attempts, yet Torre has batted Kemp either 6th, 7th or 8th in the lineup a whopping 82% of the time (269 out of 330 PAs) with more than half of those total PAs (159) coming in the 7th spot.

I know the Dodgers have a stronger offense than the Reds but man, if Dusty did that...

_Sir_Charles_
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
With Edinson's health still in question and the recent performances of Arroyo...I am NOT in favor of dealing Aaron. I like Kemp, but I think we can get him for less than Harang. WE are in the position of strength in that deal. The Dodgers are the team in need. Arroyo & some minor leaguers could do the job just as well as Harang straight up would.

Krusty
07-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Kemp in Great American Ballpark? Guarantee 30 home runs. Good deal for both sides. If Volquez is healthy after the allstar break, I think you got to make this deal.

KoryMac5
07-05-2009, 12:08 PM
With Edinson's health still in question and the recent performances of Arroyo...I am NOT in favor of dealing Aaron. I like Kemp, but I think we can get him for less than Harang. WE are in the position of strength in that deal. The Dodgers are the team in need. Arroyo & some minor leaguers could do the job just as well as Harang straight up would.

Why would the Dodgers want Arroyo when they have Milton already.

GAC
07-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd do this deal in a heartbeat.

We'd basically have Kemp through next season due to having under 4 yrs of service right? He'd get to go through arb after this season? He's currently making around $460 grand.

I'd just like to see this organization get him to sign a longer term deal though.

westofyou
07-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Ya know it's summer when RILA brings out his Dodger rumors, that said it ain't happening is my opinion.

_Sir_Charles_
07-05-2009, 12:14 PM

They're looking for an innings eater. Nobody said anything about a top of the rotation version of an innings eater. And despite Bronson's recent bad outtings, he's been very durable and dependable the past few years. He'll have ups and downs, but he's still a good pitcher. I also think he'd be a better pitcher in that stadium...it suits his style better.

KoryMac5
07-05-2009, 12:38 PM
They're looking for an innings eater. Nobody said anything about a top of the rotation version of an innings eater. And despite Bronson's recent bad outtings, he's been very durable and dependable the past few years. He'll have ups and downs, but he's still a good pitcher. I also think he'd be a better pitcher in that stadium...it suits his style better.

With all of Arroyo's constant complaints in the press about his carpal tunnell syndrome I think most teams will stay away from him.

Will M
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
i would have mixed feeling about this trade.

the Reds certainly don't need Kemp in 2010 and beyond as we have a glut of outfielders in AA/AAA plus Dickerson & Bruce.

here is how I look at the Reds SP:
Cueto - ace
Harang - workhorse #2 starter
Volquez - TOR talent but unclear if he will be a TOR or MOR starter
Bailey - TOR talent but still very unclear what he will be
Arroyo - BOR starter who does give you innings. expensive.
Owings - BOR starter. cheap. great bat for a pitcher.

the logical SP to trade is Arroyo but the return for him would be significantly less than Harang. if the Reds could trade Arroyo & Stubbs & whatever for Kemp then I would do cartwheels. if we trade a starter the rotation is WAY better if we keep Harang than if we keep Arroyo.

Highlifeman21
07-05-2009, 12:58 PM
That's an interesting idea.

Then a platoon of Taveras and Dickerson in LF?

Unfortunately I think you're right that we'd see the Virus/Dickerson platoon in LF, although I'd prefer us keeping an OF stable of Nix, Gomes, Dickerson, Kemp and Bruce.

Bottom line, get Taveras off the 25 man roster.

Highlifeman21
07-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I'd do that trade but not with the idea that we're competing in 2009--I just don't see us doing that without Harang.

With Harang we're not really competing, we're pretending.

Without Harang, it brings us back to that reality.

I love Harang, but I don't think he's enough to net Kemp. If the trade happens, it'll definitely be interesting to see what else we send with Harang.

Strikes Out Looking
07-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I love Aaron Harang, but realize you have to give something to get something. I think this deal hurts the Reds in one area (starting pitching) and helps in another (offense)--on balance, with the age difference and the dollars saved, I'd pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Highlifeman21
07-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Not only that, but I don't think Kemp would play CF for the Reds. He would be in LF. Kemp, Taveras/Dickerson, Bruce with Gomes and Nix off the bench is not the worst OF the Reds could put out there. In fact, it's better than what they put out right now.

I would love a series of moves like what we're discussing. This is how cash strapped teams like the Reds upgrade immediately without mortgaging the future. You simply go from Stubbs/whoever/Harang to Kemp/whoever.

The only guys that should patrol CF if it's not Kemp would be either Stubbs or Dickerson. With a RHP on the mound, I guess it doesn't matter if you have Kemp in CF or Dickerson in CF, but with a LHP on the mound, Kemp should play CF and Gomes should play LF.

guttle11
07-05-2009, 01:06 PM
The only guys that should patrol CF if it's not Kemp would be either Stubbs or Dickerson. With a RHP on the mound, I guess it doesn't matter if you have Kemp in CF or Dickerson in CF, but with a LHP on the mound, Kemp should play CF and Gomes should play LF.

Ideally, sure. But Dusty is...less than ideal.

Highlifeman21
07-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I love Aaron Harang, but realize you have to give something to get something. I think this deal hurts the Reds in one area (starting pitching) and helps in another (offense)--on balance, with the age difference and the dollars saved, I'd pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Great point that to the best of my knowledge no one's addressed to this point.

We free up plenty of ching that could be used to keep Kemp around. Smart allocation of the Reds limited financial resources, IMO.

Highlifeman21
07-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Ideally, sure. But Dusty is...less than ideal.

Absolutely correct.

We'd see JHJ take playing time from Kemp.

Mark my words.

RBA
07-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Not going to happen.

chicoruiz
07-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd give up Harang if I had to to get Kemp But first I'd offer Arrroyo, Gomes, Heisey and Roenicke for Kemp and a grade-B arm, just for fun.

fearofpopvol1
07-05-2009, 03:00 PM
No thanks. The Reds still need pitching.

I like Kemp, but Harang is the surest pitcher the Reds have and has proven so.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Aaron Harang for Matt Kemp? Yes, yes and yes.

SMcGavin
07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I love Harang, I think he's the best pitcher the Reds have, but I'd do this trade. Matt Kemp is really good. To make things more interesting, let's say the Dodgers want a young CF replacement in addition to Harang.

So - would you do Harang and Stubbs for Kemp? I would.

LoganBuck
07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I love Harang, I think he's the best pitcher the Reds have, but I'd do this trade. Matt Kemp is really good. To make things more interesting, let's say the Dodgers want a young CF replacement in addition to Harang.

And Stubbs? No Stubbs is too valuable to be a throw in. Extra bullpen arms are throw ins, elite CF defenders with on base skills, and blazing speed, are most definitely not.

RedEye
07-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Only if the Dodgers also "throw in" a ML-ready arm to our return.

SMcGavin
07-05-2009, 05:24 PM
And Stubbs? No Stubbs is too valuable to be a throw in. Extra bullpen arms are throw ins, elite CF defenders with on base skills, and blazing speed, are most definitely not.

To play devil's advocate, Stubbs is 24 and has a .744 OPS in AAA. I love his defense but there are major questions about the bat, and if you can get a stud like Kemp... I'd have to pull the trigger.

Sea Ray
07-05-2009, 07:13 PM
RZ has mentioned the Reds getting Matt Kemp for years yet I still don't see any evidence that the Dodgers are considering parting with Matt Kemp. They know what they've got there and I don't see the Reds getting Kemp anytime soon.

This Kemp rumor is another RZ dream like 99% of the trades floated here.

(I'd love to be wrong)

TheNext44
07-05-2009, 07:14 PM
To play devil's advocate, Stubbs is 24 and has a .744 OPS in AAA. I love his defense but there are major questions about the bat, and if you can get a stud like Kemp... I'd have to pull the trigger.

I think the issue is that you are also giving up a top of the rotation pitcher in his prime to get Kemp.

Stubbs plus prospects for Kemp, no problem, but Harang for Kemp is very close to an even swap. A top five team prospect, former top 10 overall draft pick whose months away from being called up to the majors is not a throw in.

BCubb2003
07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I think the issue is that you are also giving up a top of the rotation pitcher in his prime to get Kemp.

That's the best time to do it, but that doesn't make it easy.

Falls City Beer
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Harang's got one foot in and one foot out of his prime years.

And I don't think it would be a good idea to extend Harang beyond his current contract. It's a really good time to do it. Harang could probably extend his effective years by a couple of seasons pitching in Dodgers' Stadium.

The upside too is we can all get back to griping about the pitching once we have Kemp and no one to replace Harang. :cool:

Spitball
07-05-2009, 07:41 PM

I agree. If the Reds start pushing Arroyo, the Dodgers will start substituting Pierre's name for Kemp's. Arroyo's contract, performance, and health all pretty much make him hard to trade for real quality at this point.

Actually, a return of Kemp for Harang would be okay, but if they are to trade someone of his talent, I would like to see the acquisition address more than just one positional need. The Reds need a power bat, a shortstop, and a starting pitcher with Volquez's health and if Harang is traded. Unless he can considerably improve more than one weakness, I would rather keep Harang at this point.

TheNext44
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
I agree. If the Reds start pushing Arroyo, the Dodgers will start substituting Pierre's name for Kemp's. Arroyo's contract, performance, and health all pretty much make him hard to trade for real quality at this point.

Actually, a return of Kemp for Harang would be okay, but if they are to trade someone of his talent, I would like to see the acquisition address more than just one positional need. The Reds need a power bat, a shortstop, and a starting pitcher with Volquez's health and if Harang is traded. Unless he can considerably improve more than one weakness, I would rather keep Harang at this point.

As stated before, if Harang were traded for Kemp, his trade could and should address more than one need.

There is will be around a $22M difference in salaries between the two over the next two years. The Reds could use that money to get a SS and/or a #4 or 5 starting pitcher.

WVRedsFan
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Harang's got one foot in and one foot out of his prime years.

And I don't think it would be a good idea to extend Harang beyond his current contract. It's a really good time to do it. Harang could probably extend his effective years by a couple of seasons pitching in Dodgers' Stadium.

The upside too is we can all get back to griping about the pitching once we have Kemp and no one to replace Harang. :cool:

Very true. I really don't think there's anything to this, of course, because it sounds too good for the Reds. Harang wouldn't be upset because he'd e going back to the west coast, we'd get a bonafide outfielder (not dissing who we have--just saying that most of our outfielders would be sitting on most team's bench, Bruce being the only exception) and bring the kids up to see what they have. I think we've seen enough of Arroyo to know that pitching is fickle and fragile at times so keeping them too long is probably not wise.

I'd miss him, but I don't think we'll get the chance. This just sounds too far fetched.

Spitball
07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
As stated before, if Harang were traded for Kemp, his trade could and should address more than one need.

There is will be around a $22M difference in salaries between the two over the next two years. The Reds could use that money to get a SS and/or a #4 or 5 starting pitcher.

For the future, I understand that aspect of the trade, but not for a trade in July with first place in view.

mth123
07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
One aspect to consider is that if Harang is dealt for Kemp, two OF spots are locked up with Kemp and Bruce. That means only one spot for Dickerson, Stubbs, Heisey, Frazier, Alonso (with Votto in LF) and the journeymen retreads like Gomes, Nix, Hairston and Willy T.

I would think that Harang for Kemp would be step one, followed by a deal or two including several of these guys to fill other needs. Might be able to upgrade from Harang and save some bucks at the same time (Cliff Lee? Eric Bedard?). Harang is one of my favorites and I'd hate to see him go, but for Kemp and the other deals it may set-up, its worthwhile.

kaldaniels
07-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Are there any in-print statements or storys that in any way corroborate this rumor?

Degenerate39
07-05-2009, 10:31 PM
If the Reds did trade Harang for Kemp then I would move him to Left field. Then still have center left open for the Stubby one

RedEye
07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Are there any in-print statements or storys that in any way corroborate this rumor?

Nope. But it sure is fun to talk about! :)

BCubb2003
07-05-2009, 10:51 PM

Print? What's that?

Sea Ray
07-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I think the Dodgers know what they have in Kemp and they in no way want to remove him from the lineup so they can see more of Juan Pierre. Get real.

Kemp is a major reason the Dodgers are the best team in the league right now. They're not going to screw with a major piece when they're the team to beat as it is.

I'd love to have Kemp and I'd trade an awful lot to get him but that assumes the Dodgers are idiots and I'm not willing to go there

fearofpopvol1
07-05-2009, 10:56 PM
If the Reds did trade Harang for Kemp then I would move him to Left field. Then still have center left open for the Stubby one

Where would you play Votto if the Reds kept Alonso at 1B?

Benihana
07-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Where would you play Votto if the Reds kept Alonso at 1B?

Trade Alonso for Escobar. Votto stays no matter what.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Wow, this dream died quicker than most trade dreams on here.