PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting story about Votto

BCubb2003
07-05-2009, 12:42 AM
About the family in Dayton that provides his support. To quote from it wouldn't do it justice.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/washington-twp-residents-helped-votto-on-his-road-back-190494.html?cxtype=rss_reds

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2009, 12:58 AM
I just finished reading that article and was coming here to post it. That's an amazing read. I highly recommend reading it. Tom Archdeacon is an awesome writer.

What a nice family.

Mario-Rijo
07-05-2009, 01:23 AM
I'm dying to know which Dragon's player fooled around with the family's daughter(s). Sure are some pretty gals, they look good with Joey. Glad to see he has extra support in the area.

Brutus
07-05-2009, 01:26 AM
What's great to hear about this, beyond that he's a wonderful guy with a great support system is that he has very deep-rooted interest now in the area and the organization. In a time where not many players stay their entire careers with one team, perhaps Votto will be around Cincinnati for a long while. The odds may be stacked against it, but it sure is nice to see a great player, great individual be synonymous with one team.

HeatherC1212
07-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Wow, what a fantastic article. I'm so glad Joey has a good support system here in Ohio and they sound like an really amazing family. :)

Caveat Emperor
07-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Great read. This was a bit of a neat look into the life of Joey Votto the person -- he sounds like a really grounded guy, something you don't always see from young athletes.

The mental image of him retiring to his hotel room after a road win to play online Scrabble with his former minor-league "host mother" is beyond amusing.

edabbs44
07-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Is Joey allowed to smoke Cubans because he is Canadian?

Very cool article.

Unassisted
07-05-2009, 10:21 AM
It wouldn't have been well received here if it had been known that this was what he was doing while he was away from the team for those weeks. Joey was wise to keep his recovery approach to himself while he was in the middle of it.

We rake Bob Castellini over the coals a lot around here, but the column shows that he was right on target this time. Some things are more important than winning baseball games.

smith288
07-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I like the "don't mess with the daughters" rule. After seeing what they look like, talk about setting one up to fail. Dang.

lollipopcurve
07-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Nice article. Votto's lucky to have this family in the neighborhood, and he's smart to realize that they're good for him. As Castellini says, it's a people business.

RichRed
07-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Very good article. The more I read about Joey Votto, the more I hope the Reds figure out a way to make sure he never plays in another uniform.

reds1869
07-05-2009, 11:45 AM
A wonderful article about the man who is quickly becoming my all-time favorite Red. As someone from a former host family (though not for the Dragons), I completely relate with this article and some of the relationships that can develop--good and bad.

Always Red
07-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I like the "don't mess with the daughters" rule. After seeing what they look like, talk about setting one up to fail. Dang.

I like that rule, too.

But if I'm Mr. Trebnick, and I know Joey as well as he does, then I change the rules for him!

SMcGavin
07-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Very good article. The more I read about Joey Votto, the more I hope the Reds figure out a way to make sure he never plays in another uniform.

Absolutely. Impossible not to root for this guy.

Mario-Rijo
07-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I also liked the part where the mother said Joey watched every Bonds PA for one year. No wonder he is so good, Bonds approach was maybe the best ever in his later years.

Chip R
07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Votto is probably the only guy who would winter in Dayton.

Edskin
07-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Votto had me at....

"and, of course, that regular, Votto-instigated midnight ritual — heaping bowls of vanilla ice cream, brownies"

As an unabashed sweet tooth, this was my favorite part of the story :)