PDA

View Full Version : Francisco Cordero named to 2009 All-Star team over Cueto

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Francisco Cordero was selected to the All-Star game over Johnny Cueto.

:rolleyes:

Cordero has had a great year but Johnny Cueto deserves to be there, IMO.

Cueto is 4th in the NL in ERA at 2.69.

RedsManRick
07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Fine with me. Cueto has been great, but I'd rather him rest his arm.

membengal
07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I am not sad to have Johnny get a few days off...

guttle11
07-05-2009, 02:47 PM

He can rest his arm on the All-Star bench, too.

PuffyPig
07-05-2009, 03:04 PM
It's always hard to put everyone on the team, as each team must have a representaive.

But it's hard to imagine how Phillips could be left off, with Hudson being picked (and other Dodgers already picked).

Tony Cloninger
07-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Why is Molina being voted by the fans to begin with? Nice ballot stuffers in STL.

Freddy Sanchez has been picked 3 times for the AS Team? Wow....that would like the late Mike Sharperson selection in 1992 from the Dodgers.

RedsManRick
07-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Given that Brad Hawpe deservedly made the team, I'm struggling to understand how Jason Marquis made the team over any number of guys, including Cueto.

Kc61
07-05-2009, 03:15 PM
It's always hard to put everyone on the team, as each team must have a representaive.

But it's hard to imagine how Phillips could be left off, with Hudson being picked (and other Dodgers already picked).

As long as the Reds refuse to acquire the major players who will put the team into or near the playoffs, as long as they are viewed as a nonfactor in the pennant race and get no national attention, this will happen.

They can fix it, easily. Takes some money and some bold action.

Sitting back and waiting for the Carolina Mudcats' players to emerge isn't the way to have all stars. Or to win. As far as the national baseball scene is concerned, the Reds barely exist.

mbgrayson
07-05-2009, 03:19 PM

O. Hudson: .288/.356/.417 for an OPS of .772 with 5 HRs and 41 RBIs.

B. Phillips: .271/.338/.465 for an OPS of .803 with 11 HRs and 53 RBIs.

Also, Phillips is the reigning Gold Glove winner, although he won with Hudson out a lot last year.

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Meanwhile, Adam Dunn didn't make the All-Star team. It's a shame that we got robbed again of seeing him in the home run derby.

Tom Servo
07-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Given that Brad Hawpe deservedly made the team, I'm struggling to understand how Jason Marquis made the team over any number of guys, including Cueto.
I noticed Marquis too and was just going to ask if any other Rockies made it or if he ws the lone representative. It's completely ridiculous he makes the team and Cueto doesn't.

TheNext44
07-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Kinda glad Cueto didn't make it so there's no chance he'll pitch in it.

But the logic is baffling behind the selections.

Cueto's ERA is nearly a run better than Marquis, his WHIP is 1.1 to 1.3, and he has nearly twice the K/BB and K/9. Colorado has Hawpe going, so there really is no excuse. Ironically, Lilly, who is even worse than Marquis this year, is the only Cub's representative, so I guess there's that excuse.

And how can you take Hudson over Phillips? Phillips is better offensively, just won the gold glove, and is much better defensively this year. Phillips has a +10 150/UZR while Hudson is at -8.5.

I really thought this new process of picking reserves would be better, but it clearly is even more political than ever, and is all based on getting high ratings from the coast.

fearofpopvol1
07-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Yep.

I undertstand OBM's point though...as a fan, you want to see someone that's put up the stats and who is deserving to go, go. But it is better for Cueto ultimately that he didn't make the team. His arm could use some rest.

reds1869
07-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Freddy Sanchez has been picked 3 times for the AS Team? Wow....that would like the late Mike Sharperson selection in 1992 from the Dodgers.

Freddy Sanchez is a lifetime .300 hitter and the 2006 NL batting champion. He's no Ted Williams but he's also no Mike Sharperson. This year he leads all NL second basemen with a .316 BA. His OBP is decent and he plays steady--though not spectacular--defense (again, the league's best 2B statistically so far). As the son of a Pirate fan, I feel the need to defend the honor of the man who could solve our shortstop problem if the trade presented itself. :)

Ron Madden
07-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Being named to the All-Star team doesn't mean much anymore.

cumberlandreds
07-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I called this in another thread about a month ago. The Reds haven't set themselves apart from the rabble of mediocre teams of the NL. Unless you are one the better teams in the league or have been one of the better teams for the last few seasons,you don't get more than one or two on the ASG team. You can make a case for Cueto but I'm glad he's not going. He can rest his arm. If Votto hadn't have missed a bunch of games he may have made it. Phillips maybe. There aren't that many good 2nd baseman having good seasons so you can make a case for him. But he's certainly not clear cut.

camisadelgolf
07-05-2009, 06:29 PM
My guess is that injuries will result in Cueto getting the nod by the time the teams travel to St. Louis.

flyer85
07-05-2009, 06:31 PM
not sure I have ever seen worse selections.

BCubb2003
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
My guess is that injuries will result in Cueto getting the nod by the time the teams travel to St. Louis.

I agree. The attrition rate gets pretty high the closer you get to the break.

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Cordero named to third All-Star Game
Reds closer also made team with Rangers, Brewers
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

07/05/09 5:55 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Going to the All-Star Game never gets old for Reds closer Francisco Cordero.

On Sunday, Cordero was called into Reds manager Dusty Baker's office, where Baker, general manager Walt Jocketty and pitching coach Dick Pole were waiting. They told him he was going to St. Louis after All-Star roster selections were revealed.

"It's always special," Cordero said. "I'm probably not showing how excited I am, but I will be showing it down in St. Louis. It's a pretty good goal for anybody to go to the All-Star Game. It shows you've done a pretty good job the first half of the season."

This will be Cordero's third All-Star Game after he went in 2004 while with the Rangers and in '07 for the Brewers. This time, the 34-year-old was one of the picks made by National League manager and Phillies skipper Charlie Manuel.

Cordero earned his spot on the NL pitching staff with 20 saves in 21 chances this season.

"I have to thank all my teammates down in the bullpen," Cordero said. "I don't think I'd be able to do it without them. They're doing a great job and the starting pitchers, too."

The anchor of a bullpen with the lowest ERA in the NL, Cordero is 1-2 with a 1.80 ERA, 15 walks, 25 hits and 30 strikeouts over 35 innings in 35 games. His 20 saves are tied for fourth in the league. He had converted a streak of 29 consecutive save chances, including his first 15 this season, until he blew his first one of the year on June 10 at Washington.

With 231 career saves, Cordero is one of 11 relievers all-time to have notched 100 saves in both the NL and the American League.

When Cordero arrives in St. Louis for the game and accompanying festivities, he will be taking members of his family along, including his young son, Brian Javier. However, Cordero will also be thinking a lot about the one person that can't be there. His mother, Martina, died unexpectedly during the offseason at the age of 60.

"She's up there watching me and she is happy," Cordero said. "Me and my older brother were playing cards with her. I went to pick up my boy from school and I got a call that she was taken to the hospital. The next night, she passed away."

The offseason was already challenging for Cordero, who was recovering from September microfracture and arthroscopic surgery to repair his right ankle. In 2008, he converted 34 of 40 save opportunities but wasn't always sharp on the mound. His ankle injury wasn't revealed until near the end of the season.

That was a tough conclusion to Cordero's first season in Cincinnati. Following his All-Star season with Milwaukee in 2007, Cordero signed a four-year, $46 million contract as a free agent with the Reds, which was a record haul for a closer.

After rehabilitating from his surgery this past offseason, there was concern outside the team when Cordero posted a 12.10 ERA in Spring Training and displayed lowered fastball velocity.

No one is talking about that now, of course.

"He's very deserving," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He has 20 out of 21 saves and has been lights-out. I'm glad for him, especially after last year. He had a bad ankle and people were wondering if we made a mistake in signing him. In Spring Training, he was coming off the surgery."

Cordero did not appear in the 2004 All-Star Game. In the '07 game, he gave up a two-out solo home run to Carl Crawford.

"I'm really happy I'm able to go this year after what happened to me in the offseason," Cordero said. "It was hard for me."

The 80th Major League All-Star Game will be played on July 14 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. It will be televised nationally by FOX Sports, in Canada by Rogers Sportsnet and Sportsnet HD and televised around the world by Major League Baseball International, with pregame ceremonies beginning at 8 p.m. ET. ESPN Radio will provide exclusive national radio coverage, while MLB.com will provide extensive online coverage. XM will provide satellite radio play-by-play coverage of the XM All-Star Futures Game.

The Reds have had just one All-Star each year since they had four players named to the 2004 squad. Cordero is the fifth different player to represent Cincinnati.

"We wish we had some more, big time," Baker said.

One deserving candidate was likely Reds starting pitcher Johnny Cueto, who is 8-4 with a 2.69 ERA in 16 starts this season. Cueto entered Sunday fourth in the NL in ERA and fifth with an opponent's batting average of .223.

Cueto is only 23 years old and in his second big league season, which was one reason Baker wasn't too upset his pitcher was overlooked.

"I would have loved to have seen him [make the team]," Baker said. "But he has time. He's getting better, big time."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090705&content_id=5706402&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Congrats to Cordero. He deserves it. I just wish Cueto would've made it too.

WVRedsFan
07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
As long as the Reds refuse to acquire the major players who will put the team into or near the playoffs, as long as they are viewed as a nonfactor in the pennant race and get no national attention, this will happen.

They can fix it, easily. Takes some money and some bold action.

Sitting back and waiting for the Carolina Mudcats' players to emerge isn't the way to have all stars. Or to win. As far as the national baseball scene is concerned, the Reds barely exist.
Exactly. The AS game is an exhibition that has often stunted a statistical year for players. I'm glad Johnny's going home and not going to St. Louis to pitch one inning. He'll have plenty of time for that.

As long as the Reds continue their long used practice of pulling players off the top of the trash bin (Gonzalez, Hairston, Nix, Gomes, Taveras, etc.), this is what you get. A sub-.500 team does not get many all stars.

HeatherC1212
07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I was surprised to hear Cordero's name today instead of Cueto's but it if means Cueto avoids the Volquez syndrome from last year (aka, have a bad second half after a great first half) then I'm happy he's staying home. The All Star selections this year had me :confused: and :eek: more than a few times. There are a few people on there that probably don't deserve to be there IMO and maybe it's just me but I have a real problem with fans voting in players to start this game who aren't even playing right now. I think there's like four guys on the DL who were voted in as starters?! :eek: Ibanez is the only one I can understand since he has had an amazing year but the others have been out for a while IIRC and should NOT have been elected to start the game. I don't know. I'll watch the game when it airs but I just can't take it seriously anymore. *shakes head* :dunno:

I am VERY happy for Adam Jones to make it for the Orioles because he has had an awesome year and he really deserves it. I was hoping Markakis would make it too but I guess the O's are in the same boat as the Reds. They've been a poor team for too long and are just way too under the radar to have more than one representative. :(

Ron Madden
07-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I'll watch the game when it airs but I just can't take it seriously anymore. *shakes head* :dunno:

I am VERY happy for Adam Jones to make it for the Orioles because he has had an awesome year and he really deserves it. I was hoping Markakis would make it too but I guess the O's are in the same boat as the Reds. They've been a poor team for too long and are just way too under the radar to have more than one representative. :(

I like Adam Jones and I'm happy for him too.

Adam Jones kinda looks like a young Eric Davis.

Sea Ray
07-05-2009, 11:14 PM

Yep, I'm not convinced he won't end up in St Louis on July 14th. There will be a lot of shuffling between now and then

cincinnati chili
07-06-2009, 03:44 AM
not sure I have ever seen worse selections.

Gammons made the point that the top 10 active home run hitters are ALL absent from the game. How many can you name? ARod, Manny, Griffey,

To me, the two biggest snubs in the majors are former Reds Dunn and Branyan.

GAC
07-06-2009, 06:10 AM
The reason why position players like Hudson, and maybe others, who aren't as "deserving", get in, is because of one reason..... fan voting. It's always been a popularity contest.

And I personally don't like the fact that fans can "stuff ballots". I wish that could be addressed/prevented in some way; but I don't know how.

Players like Cueto get to take a deserved break and rest... and so do fans like myself.

Haven't watched an AS game in many, many years. I just lost interest in the game.

And I think the HR contest is a joke also. Some coach up there soft lobbing a ball at guys so we can see how far they can hit it, or hear Berman's "back, back, back, back". Give me a break.

The AS game has turned to gimmicks, and, as far as I'm concerned, lost a lot of it's luster.

Edskin
07-06-2009, 07:28 AM
AS game is a joke to me anyway....rosters are ridiculous every year. I'd like to see MLB add a day or two to the season (or throw in some double-headers) and give everyone a full week off....then shorten the AS rosters and let the best players go. The "everyone gets a rep" thing has never made sense to me-- this isn't little league.

Have a starting roster of 9 guys, with 5-6 guys on the bench and a normal pitching staff. Then, play the game to win with the best players playing the majority of the game.

As it stands now, the AS game is decided at the end by a bunch of borderline all-stars and guys who shouldn't be there at all-- all of the real "stars" have exited by the middle to late innings.

princeton
07-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Cordero's been a good signing, for all of you crow-eaters out there :D

redsfandan
07-06-2009, 08:05 AM
The reason why position players like Hudson, and maybe others, who aren't as "deserving", get in, is because of one reason..... fan voting. It's always been a popularity contest. ...Performance isn't what counts. For example, I'd take Votto over Howard. Votto has been better and done much more when he's been in the lineup.

Howard .252 .326 .519 .845 and 60 rbi in 310 ab

Votto .364 .454 .619 1.073 and 41 rbi in only 176 ab

The missed time hurts Votto but he HAS been better. I'm ok with it since Votto deserves a break with all he's had to deal with. But I'd take Dunn over Howard for the same reasons:

Dunn .265 .401 .545 .946 and 59 rbi in 279 ab

Howard is known more nationally because of more tv exposure because he's been on a better team. Doesn't mean he's been better this year though.

flyer85
07-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Howard got in because his manager was doing the selecting. Easily the least deserving.

The selecting criteria seems to put way to much emphasis on batting average and wins instead of stats that actually tell something about performance.

Highlifeman21
07-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Gammons made the point that the top 10 active home run hitters are ALL absent from the game. How many can you name? ARod, Manny, Griffey,

To me, the two biggest snubs in the majors are former Reds Dunn and Branyan.

Imagine these two in the HR Derby.

Sea Ray
07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Performance isn't what counts. For example, I'd take Votto over Howard. Votto has been better and done much more when he's been in the lineup.

Howard .252 .326 .519 .845 and 60 rbi in 310 ab

Votto .364 .454 .619 1.073 and 41 rbi in only 176 ab

The missed time hurts Votto but he HAS been better. I'm ok with it since Votto deserves a break with all he's had to deal with. But I'd take Dunn over Howard for the same reasons:

Dunn .265 .401 .545 .946 and 59 rbi in 279 ab

Howard is known more nationally because of more tv exposure because he's been on a better team. Doesn't mean he's been better this year though.

Look at your ballot. Dunn is considered an outfielder. Howard a 1B. Show me which outfielder should be sent home in favor of Dunn.

flyer85
07-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Look at your ballot. Dunn is considered an outfielder. Howard a 1B. Show me which outfielder should be sent home in favor of Dunn.don't have to have 3 1Bs on the roster. Albert and Prince make more than enough 1Bs for the game. Howard was an awful pick.

Sea Ray
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think guys who missed a lot of time should be All Stars either. If you don't have enough ABs to qualify in the batting title race then you shouldn't go. This includes Votto, Josh Hamilton and Manny

edabbs44
07-06-2009, 10:29 AM
don't have to have 3 1Bs on the roster. Albert and Prince make more than enough 1Bs for the game. Howard was an awful pick.

Yeah, reminds me of a few years back when Torre took Jeter in addition to Nomar, Vizquel, ARod and Tejada and had Soriano as the only 2B.

REDREAD
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
The "everyone gets a rep" thing has never made sense to me-- this isn't little league.

I agree that it makes the game lousy, but there's a strong reason to give every team a rep.. Bud wants the 14 year old fan in Chicago to tune in and see Lily. He wants the kid in Colorado to tune in and see his lone rep, etc.

I've got to admit, the trick worked on me when I was a teen. I'd sit through the entire game just to see the Reds' lone rep come in as a pinch hitter or defensive sub.

Now, I agree. The AS game is boring and meaningless. I'd rather watch a spring training game.

edabbs44
07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Imagine these two in the HR Derby.

They might both swing and miss 10 times in a row. :)

Highlifeman21
07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
They might both swing and miss 10 times in a row. :)

Which makes the HR Derby that much more enjoyable.

Tune in to see how far they hit it, if they hit it at all!

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree that it makes the game lousy, but there's a strong reason to give every team a rep.. Bud wants the 14 year old fan in Chicago to tune in and see Lily. He wants the kid in Colorado to tune in and see his lone rep, etc.

I've got to admit, the trick worked on me when I was a teen. I'd sit through the entire game just to see the Reds' lone rep come in as a pinch hitter or defensive sub.

Now, I agree. The AS game is boring and meaningless. I'd rather watch a spring training game.

The AS game is only slightly more "boring and meaningless" than every September Reds game from the past nine years.

I still think it's a joy to see the game's top players all on one field, having fun.

Big Klu
07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
don't have to have 3 1Bs on the roster. Albert and Prince make more than enough 1Bs for the game. Howard was an awful pick.

4 1B's. Adrian Gonzalez is on the roster, too.

Sea Ray
07-06-2009, 11:55 AM
What makes the All Star game meaningless is the teams don't play to win anymore. In the 70s there was a lot of pride riding on the game. This was evidenced by Pete Rose in 1970. Some games went multiple extra innings. Now we have tie games and superstars left on the bench with a chance to win the game. A few years ago the NL was behind by one run, bottom of the 9th, bases loaded and Albert Pujols sitting on the bench. He was not used in that situation and the NL lost. If the NL really wanted to win the game they would have used Pujols there and gone down swingin'

Jpup
07-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Cueto gets to go out and show Charlie Manual tonight why he deserved to be an all star. If he pitches well tonight, he'll likely be on the team if someone is injured.

Jpup
07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Look at your ballot. Dunn is considered an outfielder. Howard a 1B. Show me which outfielder should be sent home in favor of Dunn.

Hunter Pence.

Sea Ray
07-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Hunter Pence.

That's a better argument than Ryan Howard. I guess Charlie Manuel values speed and defense over OPS.

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Pence isn't even the only Astro.

BRM
07-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Buster Olney has Votto, BP, Rhodes and Massett on his all-star team, FWIW.

LINK (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dolney_buster)

reds1869
07-06-2009, 02:59 PM
The Baseball Prospectus staff seems pretty unhappy about Votto and Cueto not making the team.

blumj
07-06-2009, 04:21 PM
What makes the All Star game meaningless is the teams don't play to win anymore. In the 70s there was a lot of pride riding on the game. This was evidenced by Pete Rose in 1970. Some games went multiple extra innings. Now we have tie games and superstars left on the bench with a chance to win the game. A few years ago the NL was behind by one run, bottom of the 9th, bases loaded and Albert Pujols sitting on the bench. He was not used in that situation and the NL lost. If the NL really wanted to win the game they would have used Pujols there and gone down swingin'

The AL managers try to win it every year, as far as I can tell. Maybe that's why they do? I think the AL roster is incredible this year, lots of speed off the bench and tremendous positional flexibility.

bucksfan2
07-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Im glad Cueto didn't make the team. It means he doesn't have to pitch out of his normal rhythm and he will stay on the Reds schedule.

I also understand how Votto didn't make the team. Both Pujols and Fielder have put up pretty sick numbers so far this season. Votto's missed time is probably the main reason why. If he wasn't voted in by the fans then he wasn't making this team.

savafan
07-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jeff Shaw once the Reds' lone representative on the All-Star team, but traded to the Dodgers during the break and wore an LA uniform to the game, henceforth leaving the Reds without an actual representative at the all-star game?

camisadelgolf
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jeff Shaw once the Reds' lone representative on the All-Star team, but traded to the Dodgers during the break and wore an LA uniform to the game, henceforth leaving the Reds without an actual representative at the all-star game?
That was back in 1998. Bret Boone was selected to the squad but didn't play. Some other ex-Reds selected for the game include:
Dante Bichette (2000)
Greg Vaughn (1999)
Bret Boone (1994-8)
Trevor Hoffman (1989-92)
Paul O'Neill (1981-92)
John Wetteland (1991)
Ken Griffey, Jr. (2000-8)

edabbs44
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Hunter Pence.

When you already have guys like Howard and Gonzo on your team, do you really need Dunn? You can totally justify Pence when you look at it as building a team to win one game.

OnBaseMachine
07-06-2009, 08:49 PM
After tonight, I think it's a blessing that Johnny didn't make the All-Star team. His back bothered him during his last start and someone made a comment in the game thread tonight that his back appeared to be bothering him again. If it were up to me, I would skip his next start and let him have a couple weeks to rest his back.

In one inning, his ERA went from 2.69 to 3.45. Ouch.

edabbs44
07-06-2009, 08:59 PM
After tonight, I think it's a blessing that Johnny didn't make the All-Star team. His back bothered him during his last start and someone made a comment in the game thread tonight that his back appeared to be bothering him again. If it were up to me, I would skip his next start and let him have a couple weeks to rest his back.

And if there is any truth to that, maybe someone mentioned that to Manuel when he was making out the roster. And that's why you can't get so mad about this stuff.

RedEye
07-06-2009, 10:54 PM

That's actually about the ERA I was expecting from Johnny this year. I didn't expect everything to level out in one start, but I suppose getting rid of all those runs at once does have a certain efficiency to it. Now he can go out after the break and throw zeros up again! Right?

Sea Ray
07-06-2009, 11:58 PM
I fear that our beloved Reds will not survive this two week stretch before and after the All Star game. Reality is coming down hard that the Reds are not contenders and probably never were.

If nothing else it will answer the question definitively...buyers? or sellers?

RedEye
07-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I fear that our beloved Reds will not survive this two week stretch before and after the All Star game. Reality is coming down hard that the Reds are not contenders and probably never were.

If nothing else it will answer the question definitively...buyers? or sellers?

Unfortunately, I have to agree. This team has some really interesting parts, but not enough to make a whole.

BCubb2003
07-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately, I have to agree. This team has some really interesting parts, but not enough to make a whole.

That would suggest they're buyers then, wouldn't it? Perhaps on layaway?

Ron Madden
07-07-2009, 03:39 AM
The selecting criteria seems to put way to much emphasis on batting average and wins instead of stats that actually tell something about performance.

:beerme:

Jpup
07-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Sandoval and Dunn were snubbed by Manuel again. Jayson Werth was selected to replace Carlos Beltran on the the All-Star roster.:confused: Werth has had a good year, but now the entire Phillies outfield is on the the team. Clearly, Dunn has had a better year.

edabbs44
07-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Sandoval and Dunn were snubbed by Manuel again. Jayson Werth was selected to replace Carlos Beltran on the the All-Star roster.:confused: Werth has had a good year, but now the entire Phillies outfield is on the the team. Clearly, Dunn has had a better year.

And Werth is "worth" more to the team than Dunn would be. MLB has now made this game mean something for the manager if he is in contention...he should build his roster accordingly. Dunn has zero value to the roster as it currently stands.

Jpup
07-10-2009, 04:58 PM
And Werth is "worth" more to the team than Dunn would be. MLB has now made this game mean something for the manager if he is in contention...he should build his roster accordingly. Dunn has zero value to the roster as it currently stands.

you're right. he's not very good, I forgot.

edabbs44
07-10-2009, 05:22 PM
you're right. he's not very good, I forgot.

No. He's already got a ton of hitters on his bench (including LH guys like Howard, Fielder, Hawpe and Adrian Gonzalez). Dunn isn't the most graceful fielder, so where is the benefit of having Dunn on his team?

Don't forget...he is trying to win this game as well as honor guys who are doing well. Werth is having an extremely comparable offensive season to Dunn. Add in the rest of his game and the decision is a lot easier.

Benihana
07-10-2009, 05:28 PM
As I just mentioned on another thread, now would be a great time to trade Francisco Cordero. Sell HIGH- especially on overpriced assets.

Sea Ray
07-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I was wondering why he didn't add Kemp of the Dodgers. If you're replacing a CF, wouldn't you think you'd want another CF to replace him with?

Manuel needs to be careful about not stacking the team with too many of his own players.