PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Freel: KC Royal

nate
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Four teams in a year's time (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/royals-acquire-ryan-freel.html)!

The Royals acquired utilityman Ryan Freel and cash from the Cubs for a player to be named later, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/1308691.html).
The Cubs designated Freel for assignment (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/cubs-acquire-jeff-baker.html) Thursday after a disappointing 14-game tenure with the club. They traded Joey Gathright for Freel (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/cubs-and-orioles-talking-freel-trade.html) two months ago.

Maybe he can use his Cubs shoes?

traderumor
07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Cubs new ownership "the losing stops now" :evil:

REDREAD
07-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Freel has become quite the hot potato.

I'm surprised that he wore out his welcome so quickly in both Balt and Chicago. It almost makes me wonder if he's got an attitude or is having off field problems. I would think that both Balt and Chicago would've had realistic expectations of what his performance would be.

RichRed
07-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Hope he doesn't crash into that waterfall and break it.

Always Red
07-06-2009, 04:00 PM
At this rate he'll be a Bengal next.

reds1869
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
In all seriousness I wish him the best. It is really hard bouncing from city to city in a short time span; I've been there and never want to go there again.

MrCinatit
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM

I'm surprised that he wore out his welcome so quickly in both Balt and Chicago. It almost makes me wonder if he's got an attitude or is having off field problems. I would think that both Balt and Chicago would've had realistic expectations of what his performance would be.

He was openly complaining about his playing time while in Baltimore (doing so, in fact, while he was injured, if I am not mistaken).

Nasty_Boy
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Is KC still the last stop on the way out of the league?

Chip R
07-06-2009, 04:15 PM
He was openly complaining about his playing time while in Baltimore (doing so, in fact, while he was injured, if I am not mistaken).

Actually, that was Farney.

BCubb2003
07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
It's got to be frustrating for Farney when Freel is hurt all the time. He should have pciked a different host.

Homer Bailey
07-06-2009, 04:28 PM
If Ryan Freel isn't the Type A example of Reds management coveting less than average baseball players, I don't know what is. Guy has been on 4 teams in less than a year, yet we are the team that signed him to a contract extension?

traderumor
07-06-2009, 04:35 PM
If Ryan Freel isn't the Type A example of Reds management coveting less than average baseball players, I don't know what is. Guy has been on 4 teams in less than a year, yet we are the team that signed him to a contract extension?New management traded him for something useful, in fairness.

Chip R
07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
It's got to be frustrating for Farney when Freel is hurt all the time. He should have pciked a different host.

Farney shouldn't have any complaints. He was gravy-training off Freel a few years ago living high off the hog. Farney has to take the bad with the good.

edabbs44
07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
If Ryan Freel isn't the Type A example of Reds management coveting less than average baseball players, I don't know what is. Guy has been on 4 teams in less than a year, yet we are the team that signed him to a contract extension?

Add in Stanton and Hatteberg to that list as well.

Scrap Irony
07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
New management traded him for something useful, in fairness.

Why let facts get in the way of a good *&^{% session?

In all seriousness, Freel may be able to help KC. He's willing to take a walk and he can play anywhere. If his bat hasn't slowed down too much, he should be useful as a fifth OF/ middle IF 24th man.

dfs
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
If his bat hasn't slowed down too much, he should be useful as a fifth OF/ middle IF 24th man.
Just out of curiousity, which infield position would you let him play? He can't stay healthy in center and isn't really an asset in left or right. He's not going to get better. He *****es about playing time when he's not on the field.
Stick a fork in him.

Reds1
07-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I thought he might be picked up. I 1/2 expected us. :)

REDREAD
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM

His career isn't over yet. Still plenty of time to give him a grand Castro-like contract sendoff to end his career :lol:

Sea Ray
07-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Sounds like the Cubs had to pay the Royals to take him.

Someone be sure and bump this thread when the PTNL is announced. I'll bet it's a real stud...

Scrap Irony
07-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Just out of curiousity, which infield position would you let him play? He can't stay healthy in center and isn't really an asset in left or right. He's not going to get better. He *****es about playing time when he's not on the field.
Stick a fork in him.

I'd let him play SS in KC for sure. He'd be a butcher, but he can't hit worse than Aviles. It's not humanly possible to hit less than Aviles.

On another note, anyone think Alex Gordon would be availabe? Or Mark Tahean, for that matter? Both would help Cincinnati's offense sooner or later, I'd think.

savafan
07-06-2009, 05:48 PM
At this rate he'll be a Bengal next.

Nah, he'll be hosting a radio program with Eddie Fingers.

WVRedsFan
07-06-2009, 06:15 PM

I'm surprised that he wore out his welcome so quickly in both Balt and Chicago. It almost makes me wonder if he's got an attitude or is having off field problems. I would think that both Balt and Chicago would've had realistic expectations of what his performance would be.As if he didnt' have those attributes while in Cincinnati. Many chose to ignore it as they dreamed he was Pete Rose. DUI, a nasty fight in Florida, his griping about playing time and showboating in the outfield (as many as gave Edmonds the devil for diving at balls, Freel seemed to love to do that). He was the typical utilityman that managers fell in love with and thought should play everyday wherein he immediately stunk up the place.

Enjoy him, Royals fans.

WVRedsFan
07-06-2009, 06:16 PM
These are the Jocketty Reds, not the Krivsky or Bowden Reds. They got rid of Freel for a reason. He will not return.

TRF
07-06-2009, 06:49 PM
As if he didnt' have those attributes while in Cincinnati. Many chose to ignore it as they dreamed he was Pete Rose. DUI, a nasty fight in Florida, his griping about playing time and showboating in the outfield (as many as gave Edmonds the devil for diving at balls, Freel seemed to love to do that). He was the typical utilityman that managers fell in love with and thought should play everyday wherein he immediately stunk up the place.

Enjoy him, Royals fans.

completely revisionist and ignores what he did. Freel played every position without complaint, stepped aside gracefully when Josh Hamilton was signed and solidified the leadoff spot for three years. Considering the washout rate of minor leaguers, Stubbs, Heisey and Dickerson should hope to have three years as good as Freel's as a Red.

I really hate it when Reds fans bash a guy that was productive just because his skills declined for whatever reason.

WVRedsFan
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
completely revisionist and ignores what he did. Freel played every position without complaint, stepped aside gracefully when Josh Hamilton was signed and solidified the leadoff spot for three years. Considering the washout rate of minor leaguers, Stubbs, Heisey and Dickerson should hope to have three years as good as Freel's as a Red.

I really hate it when Reds fans bash a guy that was productive just because his skills declined for whatever reason.
Sorry, but as much as you liked him, I didn't. Matter of opinion. He was, and is as he has trouble sticking with anyone, a career minor leaguer who had a brief flash of competence.

Like I said, it is my opinion and it holds no more weight than yours. If you really believe he deserved that pretty nice contract, then that's OK. I didn't.

Tony Cloninger
07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I remember Dave Kingman going to 4 teams in year back in 1977......he went to like 2 teams in a period of 1 month i think.

TRF
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Sorry, but as much as you liked him, I didn't. Matter of opinion. He was, and is as he has trouble sticking with anyone, a career minor leaguer who had a brief flash of competence.

Like I said, it is my opinion and it holds no more weight than yours. If you really believe he deserved that pretty nice contract, then that's OK. I didn't.

He took a long route to the major leagues, but he was more than productive.

RichRed
07-06-2009, 10:41 PM
I remember Dave Kingman going to 4 teams in year back in 1977......he went to like 2 teams in a period of 1 month i think.

I think it's because he was such a lovable guy.

BCubb2003
07-07-2009, 12:55 AM
I think it's because he was such a lovable guy.

The rat in the mail just never gets old.

Ron Madden
07-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Nah, he'll be hosting a radio program with Eddie Fingers.

:D :laugh:

Ron Madden
07-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Ryan Freel is the kind of player the local media loves to tell us we should root for.

According to them he plays the game the way it should be played, He runs on and off the field. He makes a boat load of outs but he runs and he hustles and he runs.

It gets old.

hebroncougar
07-07-2009, 07:47 AM
These are the Jocketty Reds, not the Krivsky or Bowden Reds. They got rid of Freel for a reason. He will not return.

Yeah, the kind that signs useful players like Taveras, and gives Lincoln an extension. He never makes mistakes.

nate
07-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Ryan Freel is the kind of player the local media loves to tell us we should root for.

According to them he plays the game the way it should be played, He runs on and off the field. He makes a boat load of outs but he runs and he hustles and he runs.

It gets old.

If only Adam Rosales could get an imaginary friend to rent the room above his eyebrows...

:cool:

Chip R
07-07-2009, 09:12 AM
If only Adam Rosales could get an imaginary friend to rent the room above his eyebrows...

:cool:

You act like there isn't one in there already.

nate
07-07-2009, 09:14 AM
You act like there isn't one in there already.

Arney?

MrCinatit
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM

It gets old.

Unfortunately, there are many fans who eat that up. In our search for the next Pete Rose, we tend to confuse the fine line between "hustle" and "hardworking" with "careless". Yes, Freel can hustle - but he lacked the Rose talent and he certainly does not poses Rose's instincts, to the point Freel was an anti-Rose.
And when a guy like Freel or Casey get traded away, many of the "average Joe six pack" curse the club. The Reds lost a long-time fan in my dad when they traded Casey away. Many of my coworkers said the same when Freel was traded away (others knew better to the extent they were surprised I did not show up to work with a party hat on that day).
This is not to say Ryan was a bad ballplayer. He was a bit fun to watch. But my basset hound knew it was a bad idea to sign him to a contract extension.

savafan
07-07-2009, 10:59 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090707&content_id=5740494&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

07/07/09 7:12 PM ET

DETROIT -- Ryan Freel found himself to be a pretty popular player with fans in Cincinnati during his six years with the Reds. He was often out in the community and was known on the field for his hustle.

"They compared me with Pete Rose -- without the numbers," Freel said.

Now Freel gets his chance to show his hustle and build some numbers for the Royals. Obtained from the Chicago Cubs on Monday, he was dropped right into the lineup on Tuesday night against Detroit ace Justin Verlander.

"No fooling around," manager Trey Hillman said. "Welcome to the Royals, you get Mr. Verlander tonight. Go roam center field, we'll check your legs out right away. We'll throw him right into the fire."

Although second base was his primary position, Freel also has played third base and all three outfield positions. He has good speed, so Hillman decided to try him in center field where Mitch Maier has been the primary occupant since surgery knocked Coco Crisp out for the year.

Freel, who began this season with the Baltimore Orioles and then was traded to the Cubs, was in the ninth slot for his first game for the Royals.

"I've led off my whole career until this year, but when you go to a new team they've got their guy," Freel said. "Over at Chicago they've got [Alfonso] Soriano who loves to hit leadoff and Brian Roberts over there at Baltimore, that's what he's always done. So it's been a change."

For the two teams combined, his average this season was just .140 and he played only 23 games because of a head injury with the Orioles and a left hamstring injury with the Cubs.

"Everything's good. I'm a hundred percent and healthy," he said.

His career average is .269 in 576 games with an on-base percentage of .355. He's a right-handed hitter that, when he's on, hits to all fields.

"I'm not a guy who's going to hit you 30 home runs and 100 RBIs. I'm a guy who really cares about getting on base. My on-base percentage is the key for me," Freel said. "If I can get on base, I can do some things on the basepaths. But you can't steal first, you've got to get on there somehow -- whether it's taking a walk or getting a hit. And I take pitches with the best of them for the good of the team."

Freel has swiped 143 bases in 191 attempts, including 110 in a three-season span (2003-05) for the Reds.

"You've got to pick your time and know when to run and when not to run," he said. "I'm not a Jose Reyes or Joey Gathright kind of runner but a guy who's stolen 30 or 35 bases three years in a row, so I kind of know what I'm doing out there on the basepaths. I've just got to stay healthy."

Freel was surprised when, after arriving at Comerica Park on Tuesday, Hillman called him in for a meeting with the entire coaching staff. That was a first for Freel in his Major League travels.

"It shows how much they care about the players," he said.

Even before taking the field for his first game, Freel was in an upbeat mode about the Royals.

"We're not out of this thing by any means. I know where we're at in the standings, but I know we're not halfway through yet," he said. "We get some guys healthy and get the bats going -- this is baseball, anything can happen. Looking back at Tampa Bay, looking back at the Marlins, there's no reason why Kansas City can't do the same thing. I see a lot of good things over here."

Now the Royals will see what kind of things Freel can bring.

cincrazy
07-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Ryan Freel was never a bad player. He could get on base, and when he was swinging the bat well, he was a huge boost at the top of the lineup. He wasn't Corey Patterson or Willy Taveras.

I wish him nothing but the best.

WVRedsFan
07-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Freel went 1-3 tonight, scored a run and struck out once. He batted ninth. Their leadoff hitter was 3-5 with 3 RBI's.