PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch women's sports?

Scotty
07-07-2009, 01:24 PM
How many people actually follow female athletics? I'm not a huge fan of female athletes besides the Williams sisters in tennis and a few basketball players such as Lisa Leslie.

*BaseClogger*
07-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Nope. None at all. I just don't find it interesting...

BRM
07-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't necessarily follow them but I do watch basketball, softball and volleyball. Tennis as well.

cumberlandreds
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Olympic Beach Volleyball :evil: But other than that,no.:)

WMR
07-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't necessarily follow them but I do watch basketball, softball and volleyball. Tennis as well.

I'm tempted to make a Hoosier joke here but I'll refrain. :D

bucksfan2
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I will watch if there is some sort of sex appeal, think women's volleyball.

My issues with women's sports is the actual talent level. I have a hard time watching anything in which the talent level just isn't there. IMO it has nothing to do with the acutal players or the sport, it has more to do with the physical differences between men and women.

Chip R
07-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd say it depends on the woman(en).

BRM
07-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm tempted to make a Hoosier joke here but I'll refrain. :D

I'm impressed with your restraint. ;)

Caveat Emperor
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't watch women's sports, I don't like watching women's sports, and I hate the fact that you're immediately labeled as a chauvinist by some when you have the audacity to say you find women's sports boring.

The one exception is the Olympics -- where I'll watch (and sometimes prefer) women's events to men's events.

Boston Red
07-07-2009, 04:00 PM
I prefer women's tennis to men's generally. That's the extent of that list.

I generally enjoy the Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament, but it's WAY behind the men's version in terms of enjoyment.

dabvu2498
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I prefer women's tennis to men's generally. That's the extent of that list. I generally enjoy the Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament, but it's WAY behind the men's version in terms of enjoyment. Ditto. I will watch a good regular season women's college game as well. And women's golf on tv is just as boring as men's.

BRM
07-07-2009, 04:23 PM
And women's golf on tv is just as boring as men's.

Amen.

M2
07-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't watch women's sports on TV very often (the Olympics being the major exception to the rule). Yet I'm fine with catching it live. I've taken the family to some women's pro soccer games in Boston. The venue (Harvard Stadium (http://majorleaguelacrosse.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/thumbcache/c80c165edac44e2652987fb8204ad01b.300.jpg)), the way the event is run (concessions, merchandising, event staff) and the skill level on the field are all top notch. We usually go to see the U.S. Indoor Track and Field Championships every winter (held in Boston) and the women's events are perfectly entertaining sports fare. I also like to take my daughter to see some college women's hockey, basketball or soccer every now and then, just to show her that's something she could pursue (she's a good athlete).

Redsfaithful
07-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Women's golf and tennis, but I'm not hard core about it or anything.

Joseph
07-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I watched the Reds lose 22-1 to the Phillies last night, does that count?

Roy Tucker
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I usually don't watch women's sports. Its not something I consciously avoid, its more that I don't have all that much time to watch sports and when I do (weekends mostly), there is a men's sports event on that I'd rather watch. I'll very occasionally watch women's tennis or maybe volleyball. I've got to be pretty desperate to turn on the WNBA.

Now, I also have watched a few thousand hours worth of soccer, volleyball, and softball practices and games that my daughters have played in. When my kids are involved in the game, I'll get very engaged. But if my girls hadn't been playing, I wouldn't give it the time of day.

Unassisted
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM
San Antonio has a WNBA team. I try to get my family to one or two of their games every year. Not many of their games are televised, but I watch at least part of them when they are.

Before moving to SA, I lived in Madison. Back there, we used to go to one or two Univ of Wisconsin women's games each year. We saw them play basketball, volleyball and hockey.

When we had little kids, it was a better option than the equivalent mens' events, because the tickets were cheaper and it was less crowded. With no one sitting near us, we could spread out. Also, the kids had more room to entertain themselves when they were tired of watching the game, the scoreboard or the mascots.

I don't seek them out on TV, but I will watch them.

It's probably worth mentioning that my kids are male and Mrs. U used to be a slick-fielding shortstop and a high-scoring point guard back in high school and college. I also graduated from a high school that supported its girls teams and rooted them on to several state championships during the decade I graduated from high school. Without the high school experience and Mrs. U's athletic experience, I'd probably go less frequently.

TeamSelig
07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Absolutely not.

RedsBaron
07-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Not really. I used to watch the occasional Chris Evert tennis match 30 years ago, and I usually watch the Olympics figure skating, but that's about it.

sivman17
07-10-2009, 03:03 PM
only if they are shown on sportscenter in the last 2 minutes of the program. even then i might change the channel until they are done talking about women's sports

Captain Hook
07-20-2009, 01:49 AM
The Olympics are about it and I wouldn't have even remember that if others hadn't mentioned it.Although during the Olympics I also watch sports that make no since to me,seem pretty stupid for the most part and pretty much just suck in general.

BRM
07-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I just love watching sports. Outside of golf and soccer, I'll watch just about any sporting event.

WMR
07-20-2009, 10:10 AM
You won't watch soccer but you WILL watch women's basketball? :bash:

BRM
07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
You won't watch soccer but you WILL watch women's basketball? :bash:

I'd rather watch 3rd graders play hoops than watch soccer.

TeamSelig
07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I'd rather watch 3rd grade women's ping pong than any form of soccer

WMR
07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I feel sort of sorry for you guys... it would really suck to go through your entire life without ever getting to watch and enjoy the spectacle, competition, culture and world-class play that accompanies a World Cup.

I understand, however, that if you weren't raised to understand and appreciate the sport or didn't play it extensively as you were growing up it can seem foreign, boring, and hard to follow.

TeamSelig
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.soccersucks.net/soccer.jpg

PedroBourbon
07-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Not since Anna Kournikova "retired"

BuckeyeRed27
07-21-2009, 01:44 PM
A few Olympic women's sports I really enjoy, but no professional or college at all.

I've really started to enjoy watching soccer more and more (men's soccer). I actually find it very similar to baseball where there are many small situations and plays that can make an otherwise boring sport really very exciting.

SunDeck
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I feel sort of sorry for you guys... it would really suck to go through your entire life without ever getting to watch and enjoy the spectacle, competition, culture and world-class play that accompanies a World Cup.

I understand, however, that if you weren't raised to understand and appreciate the sport or didn't play it extensively as you were growing up it can seem foreign, boring, and hard to follow.

Agreed. My European friends don't get baseball or American football at all. Personally, I don't understand the disdain for soccer, but then I don't understand the interest in fantasy sports or UFC either. To each his or her own, I suppose.

As for watching the women- I like to watch the LPGA. They hit the ball more like normal humans and I can relate better to their game than to the men. Driving a ball 330 yards and gouging it from the rough is not my game.

Hoosier Red
07-21-2009, 04:50 PM
When Dan Patrick had the one hour with Keith Olbermann, KO brought up a really good point that if TV were around 100 years ago, no one in America would care for baseball, and no one would care for Soccer.

Because the sports were ingrained in our cultures though, we accept them even if they often do come across as boring on TV.

With that said I see a lot of similarities as Buckeye Redleg mentioned. A lot of innings in baseball the team may get something started, but score no runs.(Especially if they're the Reds.)

WMR
07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Although this year's team does an excellent job of avoiding getting anything started in the first place... in the first inning when the leadoff man is up anyway. :D

Kingspoint
07-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't watch paint dry, either.

texasdave
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't watch paint dry, either.

Have you watched the 2009 Reds swing the bat? Pretty much the same thing.

BuckeyeRed27
07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/columns/story?columnist=kreidler_mark&id=4352885

Apparently no one is watching women's sports.