Benihana
07-07-2009, 02:28 PM
according to SunDeck/CTR. Corresponding move TBA

traderumor
07-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Somebody to the DL? Arroyo? Cueto?

Kc61
07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
My guess is 13 pitchers in light of all the bullpen work lately. Perhaps Sutton goes down.

OnBaseMachine
07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Turns 26 in a couple days.

43 IP, 33 H, 2 HR, 9 BB/36 K in Louisville. He lacks the overpowering stuff of Carlos Fisher or Josh Roenicke. He's more of a Weathers type.

cumberlandreds
07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
The Missing Link?

My guess is that Arroyo to the DL. With his complaining of having carpal tunnel and his bad pitching lately its the obvious thing.

Benihana
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
It's about time Manuel got his chance. While he is anything but highly touted, all he has done is perform at every level. Talk about an underdog...

Sticky?

Rojo
07-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Fisher, Roenicke, Maloney, Manuel -- looks like they're trying to sort through some of these older prospects. Good.

Homer Bailey
07-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm not seeing this on CTrent. Just on the Sun Deck. Anyone have a link?

BRM
07-07-2009, 02:36 PM
It's on the team press notes for today as well.

http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_viewer.asp?d=46507

Benihana
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Fisher, Roenicke, Maloney, Manuel -- looks like they're trying to sort through some of these older prospects. Good.

:thumbup:

Screwball
07-07-2009, 02:39 PM
This is the guy Krivsky traded Dave Williams for. I was surprised he was able to get a warm bod for DW, much less one that will be pitching in the bigs.

Reds Freak
07-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Ahh, the Dave Williams deal finally about to pay off.. :)

I(heart)Freel
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not seeing this on CTrent. Just on the Sun Deck. Anyone have a link?

CTrent's twitter.

http://twitter.com/ctrent

I(heart)Freel
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM

So in other words... this guy is the payoff for Sean Casey?

lollipopcurve
07-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Good, necessary move. The bullpen is hanging from a thread right now, and you don't know if any of Harang, Bailey or Owings are going to get the bombadier treatment, like Cueto did.

Manuel's a good story. Undrafted free agent -- I think he was the guy they got when Dave Williams was traded to the Mets. At that point he was in rookie ball, so a nice piece of scouting by the Reds there.

Will be interesting to see if they send a pitcher back. I think I'd keep all 13 pitchers up to the break. The staff is just too vulnerable. I'd send Janish back and keep Sutton around -- see more of what the kid can do. Personally, I think he's had good ABs, good swings when he's been up there. If it were up to me, he'd get a couple starts this series -- he's got excellent numbers vs. lefties, and it wouldn't hurt to rest Hairston for a game, and Bruce another, since he's practically incapacitated against lefthanders.

flyer85
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
IMO it will be either Fisher or Sutton

nate
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Good, necessary move. The bullpen is hanging from a thread right now, and you don't know if any of Harang, Bailey or Owings are going to get the bombadier treatment, like Cueto did.

Manuel's a good story. Undrafted free agent -- I think he was the guy they got when Dave Williams was traded to the Mets. At that point he was in rookie ball, so a nice piece of scouting by the Reds there.

Will be interesting to see if they send a pitcher back. I think I'd keep all 13 pitchers up to the break. The staff is just too vulnerable. I'd send Janish back and keep Sutton around -- see more of what the kid can do. Personally, I think he's had good ABs, good swings when he's been up there. If it were up to me, he'd get a couple starts this series -- he's got excellent numbers vs. lefties, and it wouldn't hurt to rest Hairston for a game, and Bruce another, since he's practically incapacitated against lefthanders.

It has seemed like every pitch Sutton hit went to the warning track.

Kc61
07-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Doubt it would be Janish. Dusty wouldn't punish Janish after giving himself up for the team last night.

The likely guy is Sutton. If a position player, there's another possibility but I'm afraid even to mention it.

cumberlandreds
07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Doubt it would be Janish. Dusty wouldn't punish Janish after giving himself up for the team last night.

The likely guy is Sutton. If a position player, there's another possibility but I'm afraid even to mention it.

Bruce? I would send him down to shake things up. It wouldn't hurt him a bit either to get tuned back up agianst some minor league pitching.

lollipopcurve
07-07-2009, 02:49 PM
It has seemed like every pitch Sutton hit went to the warning track.

Yeah -- he just missed them. I believe they've been mostly to CF, and very high. Looks to me like he has good bat speed -- he was pulling Jason Motte -- and some pop. They need to get a solid look at him, because he could be anything from a regular (though the defense is iffy), to a platoon guy to a bench player. I question whether Baker will give him many opportunities this time around, though.

GoReds
07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't see the game yesterday (and I'm thankful), but wasn't Cueto having back issues previously?

KoryMac5
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Bruce? I would send him down to shake things up. It wouldn't hurt him a bit either to get tuned back up agianst some minor league pitching.

This move was echoed by several in the game thread last night and while I understand the feelings of frustration with Bruce, sending him down to the minors for a tune up would be horrible for this kids confidence. This kid needs to bat against MLB pitching and make adjustments as they have made adjustments against him. Sending him down only reinforces his poor approach at the plate because he has demonstrated that it works in the minors.

REDREAD
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm suspecting some pitcher is going to the DL.

Kc61
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
This move was echoed by several in the game thread last night and while I understand the feelings of frustration with Bruce, sending him down to the minors for a tune up would be horrible for this kids confidence. This kid needs to bat against MLB pitching and make adjustments as they have made adjustments against him. Sending him down only reinforces his poor approach at the plate because he has demonstrated that it works in the minors.

The Reds face a number of lefties in the next several days and play three games in cavernous Citifield. Guys who hit a lot of medium fly balls don't do well there. Then the All Star Break.

It would be a good opportunity for Bruce to go down for ten days and have some hitting success without pressing. He can then come back.

I actually think the worst thing for his confidence is for him to keep pressing and watch his major league numbers get worse and worse.

HokieRed
07-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Dave Williams' deal paid off a long time ago when we got back part of Casey's salary.

MrCinatit
07-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Can we call him "Bat" Manuel?

redsmetz
07-07-2009, 03:45 PM
The Reds face a number of lefties in the next several days and play three games in cavernous Citifield. Guys who hit a lot of medium fly balls don't do well there. Then the All Star Break.

It would be a good opportunity for Bruce to go down for ten days and have some hitting success without pressing. He can then come back.

I actually think the worst thing for his confidence is for him to keep pressing and watch his major league numbers get worse and worse.

I think you may well be right. I don't get the sense that Jay Bruce has a fragile psyche. I think he fully understands that you have to produce up here or you're not going to play (he said as much the other day when he sat and said, "no hitting, no playing" after seeing he wasn't in the line up. I think he's mature enough to take being sent down if they decide to do that.

Kc61
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Bruce isn't going anywhere, he's playing in Philly tonight.

flyer85
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
I guess he only talks about pitching. ;)

Caveat Emperor
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM

That would beg the question -- has he ever been photographed with Bruce?

KoryMac5
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I think you may well be right. I don't get the sense that Jay Bruce has a fragile psyche. I think he fully understands that you have to produce up here or you're not going to play (he said as much the other day when he sat and said, "no hitting, no playing" after seeing he wasn't in the line up. I think he's mature enough to take being sent down if they decide to do that.

The point is this if you send him down he will return as the same hitter. Getting confidence in the minors against minor league pitching isn't going to help him against major league pitching. He needs MLB quality instruction to make adjustments against MLB caliber pitching. Hopefully he attaches himself to Votto the rest of his time here. Obviously Jacoby isn't helping and I doubt anyone in AAA is better for him.

traderumor
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Bruce is not getting sent down. It is interesting that the Baker/Jocketty daily beatdown occurs at the same time folks are recommending shipping Jay Bruce to AAA because his batting average is too low. Physician, heal thyself.

redsmetz
07-07-2009, 04:52 PM
The point is this if you send him down he will return as the same hitter. Getting confidence in the minors against minor league pitching isn't going to help him against major league pitching. He needs MLB quality instruction to make adjustments against MLB caliber pitching. Hopefully he attaches himself to Votto the rest of his time here. Obviously Jacoby isn't helping and I doubt anyone in AAA is better for him.

I don't advocate sending him down. I was noting that I don't think he's likely to be crushed by a demotion. That was my only point.

nate
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Bruce is not getting sent down. It is interesting that the Baker/Jocketty daily beatdown occurs at the same time folks are recommending shipping Jay Bruce to AAA because his batting average is too low. Physician, heal thyself.

The same people are saying that?

Will M
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
i hope Arroyo goes to the dl with a 'tired arm'. he would actually only miss one start (this friday). this extra rest worked wonders last year.

reds44
07-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Sutton was optioned back to AAA.

Big Klu
07-07-2009, 05:15 PM
This is the guy Krivsky traded Dave Williams for. I was surprised he was able to get a warm bod for DW, much less one that will be pitching in the bigs.

So in other words... this guy is the payoff for Sean Casey?

Ultimately, he is the payoff for Paul O'Neill.

O'Neill was traded to the Yankees for Roberto Kelly, who was traded to the Braves for Deion Sanders, who was traded to the Giants for Dave Burba, who was traded to the Indians for Sean Casey, who was traded to the Pirates for Dave Williams, who was traded to the Mets for Robert Manuel.

BRM
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Per Fay:

Drew Sutton was optioned back to Louisville to make room on the roster for Robert Manuel.

"I told him it wasn't anything he did," Dusty Baker said. "We needed the arm."

"That game on Sunday really put my bullpen in a bad situation. Then to have back-to-back really put it in a bad situation. . . You come into this ballpark -- it leads the world in home runs, this team leads the world in the home runs. You can't limp in here because you'll crawl out of here."

Benihana
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Ultimately, he is the payoff for Paul O'Neill.

O'Neill was traded to the Yankees for Roberto Kelly, who was traded to the Braves for Deion Sanders, who was traded to the Giants for Dave Burba, who was traded to the Indians for Sean Casey, who was traded to the Pirates for Dave Williams, who was traded to the Mets for Robert Manuel.

Nicely done.

But don't forget Mark Portugal and Darren Lewis, who we also snagged in the Sanders/Burba deal. :beerme:

Rojo
07-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Nicely done.

But don't forget Mark Portugal and Darren Lewis, who we also snagged in the Sanders/Burba deal. :beerme:

To bring it full circle, Dusty's son is named for Darren Lewis.

Benihana
07-07-2009, 06:08 PM
To bring it full circle, Dusty's son is named for Darren Lewis.

I'm sure his grandsons will be named for Willy and Corey. :p:

Strikes Out Looking
07-07-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm sure his grandsons will be named for Willy and Corey. :p:

Isn't that Willy Jr. and Corey Jr. to be exact;)

Big Klu
07-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Nicely done.

I didn't forget them, but they didn't figure into getting Casey.

Also, I think John Roper and Scott Service went to SF in that deal, along with a couple of minor-leaguers.

Hoosier Red
07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I didn't forget them, but they didn't figure into getting Casey.

Also, I think John Roper and Scott Service went to SF in that deal, along with a couple of minor-leaguers.

I remember my friend being irritated beyond belief that we gave up on John Roper. Needless to say that didn't exactly come back to haunt.